ADVERTISEMENT

What did Mike Francesa say about Hobbs situation?

Not exactly. He significantly exaggerated the story. Said that Hobbs was "chugging" the beer, and acting like a frat kid trying to impress the crowd. Nothing can be further from the truth.

Jim Rome called him out too. Slow sports day. If this happened at The Grove at Ole Miss no one would care. Hell the ESPN Gameday hosts had hot toddies on the desk when they did Game Day there two years ago. That's promoting alcohol not only to college kids but all the minors viewing at home. Media are a bunch of hypocrites who selectively pick and choose soundbites that will stir the pot. This is honestly much ado about nothing.

Last edited:
We seem to get ADs who are incompetent, idiot, ineffective or all combined. When are we going to get an AD we can be proud of? Everyone knows you can't have alcohol on college grounds. Every year you hear about a student at Rutgers dying from alcohol poisoning. Recruits' parents are not going to be happy about hearing Rutgers in the news for all the wrong reasons.

We seem to get ADs who are incompetent, idiot, ineffective or all combined. When are we going to get an AD we can be proud of? Everyone knows you can't have alcohol on college grounds. Every year you hear about a student at Rutgers dying from alcohol poisoning. Recruits' parents are not going to be happy about hearing Rutgers in the news for all the wrong reasons.
:rolleyes:

Reactions: TheRacRU
Hobbs came from the law school environment where it is very common for the deans and professors to spend time socially, including drinking, etc, with the students. I presume it won't ever happen again at RU.

Everyone knows you can't have alcohol on college grounds.

Every year you hear about a student at Rutgers dying from alcohol poisoning.

Recruits' parents are not going to be happy about hearing Rutgers in the news for all the wrong reasons.

Why is it ok at Ole Miss? So much so that ESPN Gameday hosts celebrated Ole Miss' signature tailgate cocktail by consuming it on live TV? This is a non story.

...and what about the annual ESPN celebration of the Florida-Georgia game aka "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party".
Not on a college campus but I guess EVERYONE in this picture is 21 or over.
Photo-Florida-Georgia-cocktail-party-750x330.jpg

Reactions: BoogieKnight
You've never been more tone deaf in your life.

I am having a hard time figuring out if his post was serious or not.
I went through a phase where, when I'd read his posts (mostly on the CE board), I wondered the same thing. Now I just wonder if it's medication-induced or off-medication-induced. But "serious" just never seems to apply.

Jim Rome called him out too. Slow sports day. If this happened at The Grove at Ole Miss no one would care. Hell the ESPN Gameday hosts had hot toddies on the desk when they did Game Day there two years ago. That's promoting alcohol not only to college kids but all the minors viewing at home. Media are a bunch of hypocrites who selectively pick and choose soundbites that will stir the pot. This is honestly much ado about nothing.

Jim Rome is a characiture and a joke of a sports commentator. He probably fawns over UNC bball, loves Bobby Knight and the GameDay crew at Ole Miss. The next reasonable thing he says will be the first in a while.

Joe P.

When compared to our B1G brethren, our recent ADs, and current one are not the same caliber. Unfortunately, the comparisons aren't close.

...and how would our B1G brethren react if this exact situation occurred at their school? Would it even be a 'story'?

Joe P.

There are a lot of tailgaters on this board who will be very disappointed to hear that.

As a representative of the senior Administration of the University you don't have Alcohol on campus during a Sporting event. Especially if you are the Athletic Director. Not a smart move by our AD.

When compared to our B1G brethren, our recent ADs, and current one are not the same caliber. Unfortunately, the comparisons aren't close.

How on EARTH can you make judgement on Hobbs at this point is beyond me. Also, my guess, he grades out to a B+ in s Year 1 IF NOT an A.

Also, I was responding to the 2nd and final sentence in the quote.

Last edited:
Of course. Because Rutgers is the only university in America where students drink on campus. Too bad that RU can't be a dry campus like all those SEC schools. Particularly Florida, whose home games are ecstatically referred by announcers as "The world's largest outdoor cocktail party."

Amazing. Rutgers just can't seem to go a season without drama. When was last season without a crisis - 2007 or 2009 I think. I wasn't even reading these threads but now I seem them on ESPN, NYC papers etc. This must be a karma thing for all those RU fans that love to get in froths about other teams problems lol

The local paper attached AD drinks beer to the first story that really should have read "AD's student tailgate idea overly successful - huge turnout leads to shutdown over safety concerns". Instead some local press guy got his wad off by trying to stir the pot. Its over now so whatever it doesn't matter.

edit: worst part is he will get kudos from his boss for making a national story that was factually inadequate.

Amazing. Rutgers just can't seem to go a season without drama. When was last season without a crisis - 2007 or 2009 I think. I wasn't even reading these threads but now I seem them on ESPN, NYC papers etc. This must be a karma thing for all those RU fans that love to get in froths about other teams problems lol
Crisis? drama? I had more drama in my house before 8 am with my kids. A grown man sipped a beer at a tailgate while thanking the students for supporting the team. You make it like he was doing blow off a 13 year old's ass while face timing Anthony Weiner.

Crisis? drama? I had more drama in my house before 8 am with my kids. A grown man sipped a beer at a tailgate while thanking the students for supporting the team. You make it like he was doing blow off a 13 year old's ass while face timing Anthony Weiner.

But thats an the aspect of the RU karma. Get nationwide drama over nothing. How many people actually remember what Bob Mulchay got fired for? Heck how many people even knew at the time lol.

But thats an the aspect of the RU karma. Get nationwide drama over nothing. How many people actually remember what Bob Mulchay got fired for? Heck how many people even knew at the time lol.
Here's the thing RU fans conveniently forget. We are in the B1G because of our media footprint. Well with the good comes the bad. Huge media exposure works both ways. Just have to learn to roll with it.

Reactions: CoachMagoo

With a comment like that it amazes me you even were admitted to Rutgers let alone possibly graduated.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Hobbs should be a little smarter regarding things like this. Remember there are no tailgating opportunities at The Hall.
That being said this is a non issue and people shouldn't try to make it one. Otherwise get a new AD. Here's my candidate.
200_s.gif

I'm sure that the 10 second video of Hobbs putting his lips to a cup of natty lite has passed the 24 hours news cycle now. Everybody can go to bed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT