ADVERTISEMENT

What happened on the interception?

billhilf

Sophomore
Oct 19, 2007
Englishtown
I was at the game so you couldn't really tell and even the replay is hard to see what happened. Did Gio completely throw it to the wrong guy, was it tipped, or did the wr run the wrong route?

Anyone know? Aside from that play, it was a very good performance by Gio. Could be a good competition next year between him, oden, and Lewis.

I was at the game so you couldn't really tell and even the replay is hard to see what happened. Did Gio completely throw it to the wrong guy, was it tipped, or did the wr run the wrong route?

Anyone know? Aside from that play, it was a very good performance by Gio. Could be a good competition next year between him, oden, and Lewis.

I was ripped on the line.

From the stands it appeared to be tipped at the line of scrimmage.

However, the receiver also appeared to be double covered (a defender over and under him on a short route), or even triple covered.

However, the receiver also appeared to be double covered (a defender over and under him on a short route), or even triple covered.

Yes. Even if not tipped, it was an ill-advised throw. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, because he really hasn't played.

Hopefully Gio is the baller we always kinda thought he'd be. The team needs a spark.

Mehringer said he made the right read, and it was the right throw.

Gave credit to the DB for reading the play and filling that spot.

Now sure if those are conflicting.

It was tipped, but I couldn't tell if it was enough to change the trajectory to be that far behind the receiver. My guess from seeing it live (on TV) and a quick replay without a good angle, was that the route was run properly and Gio threw it behind him, AND it was tipped which impacted the direction by about 10%. Net-net is it wasn't a great throw and was coincidentally tipped, but was the right read.

The ball was tipped enough to slow the trajectory of the ball and the defender was there to picked it up. It the pass wasn't tipped it would have been a completed slant route.

Not sure i loved the route run ....still feels like 2 wr's to close together on route. really felt like we were going to score on that series. Game at that point had a come from behind win looming. nice spark Gio gave team.

Poor play call for the situation. We were moving well on the ground. Also wasn't the snap a poor one. My call in that situation was a screen pass which we hardly run anymore. It's was sad to see as at that point I had us winning the game 21-17. And wasn't this call right after the injury timeout and 1-10 on the Illinois 25. DO, let's not overthink and just play basic football and go with what's working. Gio was on a roll and all we needed was one more first down. A real question here would be what we DM and Ash do if we had a 4-3/4 on the 18/19 ...try a FG or go for the first down. Yes you have to think that far ahead.

Here is the link to the video, The cb lined up on the outside shoulder of the inside receiver so the receiver was open on the quick slant. The read was correct. The DE and the DT took an outside rush and both were well blocked. The DT ,#11, put his hand up at the right time and tipped the ball.

Don't know if a QB should be looking at DL or not so I can' judge if GR should have thrown the ball at that time.

Looking at the replay it was pretty clear that Harris was there for the slant (DB had outside leverage). Both Harris and Gio made the right read based on how the DB was playing him plus had Harris had some room for yardage after a catch assuming the ball got there soon enough. The ball which appeared to be slightly behind him when thrown was deflected even more behind him and the DB made a good play on it. If not for it being deflected I think the DB would have been yelled at by his coaches for giving Harris an easy reception by using too much outside leverage. I don't see anything wrong with the play. The D-lineman made a good play after being completely blocked with no hope of getting to the QB.

Regardless of it being tipped or not Gio made a bad decision, high risk low reward route and receiver being very well covered. But these are the growing pains of this type of offense. It's all about timing and rhythm with quick decisions. Expect a lot more of these types of plays or lack there of.

Regardless of it being tipped or not Gio made a bad decision, high risk low reward route and receiver being very well covered. But these are the growing pains of this type of offense. It's all about timing and rhythm with quick decisions. Expect a lot more of these types of plays or lack there of.
Did Gio called the play? He made the right read and the D made a play. Shit happens. Gio made enough plays to get the start so let's see how he plays this Saturday. I'm excited to watch the game now because we can actually put points on the board.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Even if tipped, looking at the scoreboard screen it looked like he threw into triple coverage.

From the tape it looks like he was throwing to a wide open Harris on the slant in the middle not the triple covered WR to the left side of the field. The tip at the line of scrimmage deflected the ball so it was way behind Harris and into the triple covered WR.

a slant is a high risk low reward play? That confuses me.

Here is the link to the video, The cb lined up on the outside shoulder of the inside receiver so the receiver was open on the quick slant. The read was correct. The DE and the DT took an outside rush and both were well blocked. The DT ,#11, put his hand up at the right time and tipped the ball.

Don't know if a QB should be looking at DL or not so I can' judge if GR should have thrown the ball at that time.

This. This is exactly what happened. Give credit to the Illini DT for making a nice play. There is a good chance we would have converted that first down if he didn't tip that pass.

Go look at the video and pause at the start of the play and a few seconds in, Harris had at least a five yard gain with no one around him and he's uncovered. The inside LB is to far away and the CB was behind Harris. The DT made the play. The CB who caught the ball actually was out of position. If he had better coverage on Harris there would not have been an INT.

Looking at the replay it was pretty clear that Harris was there for the slant (DB had outside leverage). Both Harris and Gio made the right read based on how the DB was playing him plus had Harris had some room for yardage after a catch assuming the ball got there soon enough. The ball which appeared to be slightly behind him when thrown was deflected even more behind him and the DB made a good play on it. If not for it being deflected I think the DB would have been yelled at by his coaches for giving Harris an easy reception by using too much outside leverage. I don't see anything wrong with the play. The D-lineman made a good play after being completely blocked with no hope of getting to the QB.
Agree with this.

Gio needs to look off the receiver though, at least initially.

The MLB was reading him all the way and was in position to decleat Harris...

Reactions: mdh2003
From the tape it looks like he was throwing to a wide open Harris on the slant in the middle not the triple covered WR to the left side of the field. The tip at the line of scrimmage deflected the ball so it was way behind Harris and into the triple covered WR.
You may be correct. I only saw the play live and from the video replay on the big board.

RICO: It wasn't into double coverage.

The DB covering Harris had outside leverage so Harris had a free release to the inside -- ideal for a slant. If you watch the replay, if the ball is on time and on the mark, the only guy who would have been in position to make a play was the MLB.

Now Gio led the MLB on a collision course with Harris, but that's a slightly different topic.

Agree with this.

Gio needs to look off the receiver though, at least initially.

The MLB was reading him all the way and was in position to decleat Harris...
Can't look off anyone on a quick slant. The QB needs to put the ball on him quickly and on the numbers so the WR can protect himself.

Did Gio called the play? He made the right read and the D made a play. Shit happens. Gio made enough plays to get the start so let's see how he plays this Saturday. I'm excited to watch the game now because we can actually put points on the board.
Hey Man....I'm all on board with Gio too, he brings a little excitement to the game this Saturday. Just discussing the play.

jtung: I never played beyond HS, so I'm not 100% sure, but I've read some articles and playbooks that require the QB to do a "soft gaze" at the safeties -- or at the very least, stare down the middle of the field just before your hitch step to hold the coverage.

a slant is a high risk low reward play? That confuses me.
Every time I see another team, whether college or pro, run a slant I am jealous. They are easy to run and almost guarantee at least a five-yard pickup as long as they are mixed in with other routes and running the ball.

RICO: It wasn't into double coverage.

The DB covering Harris had outside leverage so Harris had a free release to the inside -- ideal for a slant. If you watch the replay, if the ball is on time and on the mark, the only guy who would have been in position to make a play was the MLB.

Now Gio led the MLB on a collision course with Harris, but that's a slightly different topic.
I always cringe when I see a QB setting up a receiver to get demolished on a crossing route. And our QBs (mostly Laviano, and Allen the one time he got in) throw the ball high 90% of the time, and that extra half-second of looking up for the ball then adjusting to the defenders gets guys slaughtered. But the throw wasn't bad in that regard as it was thrown at the right height, just that, ya know, the mike was waiting for the 180lb receiver to come his way.

47615174dc6f1dedac2b03d36b1f91151c1464a.png

it seems to me that if the pass is complete to Harris he has enough time to make a move on the MLB. This cap is when the ball is being tipped.

Reactions: RUTBAY and MoobyCow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT