ADVERTISEMENT

What has disappeared from the Jersey landscape ?

RUsince52

All American
Gold Member
Apr 3, 2016
West Milford

What do you remember as a kid that was a fun thing to do or a place to go, but is now gone ?

A few things come to mind right away - Steward Root Beer Stands and Drive-in movies. Still have a drive-in, but it's across the NY border in Warwick, NY. Real nice setting on a stary night.

Route 3 drive in theater which was across from where Giants stadium is, and the pitch and putt golf course with batting cages on the same side of Giant stadium.

Also, the house I grew up in; now a vacant lot.

Reactions: zappaa
Legal chasing of teenage tail.

latest

The Final Exam night club on Sussex Turnpike.

The soda fountain at JJ Newberrys

The Hackettstown- Roxbury morning Thanksgiving football games (I played in 3).

18 year old legal to drink when I turned 18 - no more trips to Greenwood lake lol

In NYC - Freedomland and The Worlds Fair was spectacular, especially as a 5&6th grader

Reactions: DT Hawxhurst
What do you remember as a kid that was a fun thing to do or a place to go, but is now gone ?

A few things come to mind right away - Steward Root Beer Stands and Drive-in movies. Still have a drive-in, but it's across the NY border in Warwick, NY. Real nice setting on a stary night.
Take a weekend evening drive to Vineland. There's a Stewart's drive up about a mile from the Delsea Drive In. You can kill two childhood birds with one stone

not that they were a place to go or fun, but just somethings my 4 yr old will never know: telephone booths, mailboxes and milk delivery boxes

Reactions: RUsince52

there is a stewart's on route 27 in franklin park kinda/sorta near RU, actually. there's also one on route 33 in hamilton which i frequent fairly often. love me some stewart's.

Reactions: czxqa
- The water slide at Pt. Pleasant
- Rickels
- Caldor
- Pal's Cabin (never went there myself, but was a fixture in West Orange)
- Eagle Rock Diner
- The NJ Nets (didn't really follow them, but they're gone from NJ now)

Reactions: mcbabz
There's talk the Evil Clown of Middletown may be meeting its end soon to make way for a more upscale shopping center. I hope this little gem named Calico never meets its maker.
100_0014.jpg
Anybody know if it ever spun around?
There's a Stewarts in Hamilton on 33.

and one on 202 near flemington
And on Rte. 9 in Howell right when you come off 195. It sells Fat sandwiches btw. They seem to be big RU fans there.

Things I miss from my childhood:

-Baseball card and comic book shops. I'm sure there are a few around, but nowhere near as many as back in the day, and not the ones I used to frequent.

To tie into RU, I remember there used to be a pretty prominent comic shop right on Albany in NB - someone here probably remembers the name.

- Independent toy stores like Rick's, I think it was, in Somerville and Tiny Tots. The toy section of Walmart just isn't the same.

- Used CD shops. I remember getting my very first CD, Stone Temple Pilot's "Purple", at the Sound Exchange in Somerville. Also stocked up on a bunch of bargain-box CDs at the shop in NB (name?) when I started at RU.

Reactions: redking and jabbs1
Palisades Amusement Park
2nd on Palisades in the city by the bridge
Was it in Tenafly or Fort "something"

Also, driving thru the county roads North of 287 until you got to NY
Italian ice
Jersey tomatoes, corn and asparagus from South Jersey
Greasy Tony's on a late Thursday night

ADVERTISEMENT