ADVERTISEMENT

What is Chris Ash's Vision??

Have we really filled up 4 pages on this subject? Yikes, a little scary.

Where is my personal safe zone, ha!

Lol @ if i knew a damn thing about football fundamentals and a creative playbook. This is the problem with many RU so called supporters...they swear they know more than the next person and the coaches as well. Now JMU"s coach is the savior for RU football lol. Success at JMU automatically means success in the B1G? I guess OSU is waiting for Urban to retire so they can swoop in and hire this guy lol. Btw Im not advocating for Ash...its just ridiculous to conclude after 2 seasons he should be replaced, especially if the replacement is a coming from JMU (how did that hotshot JMU OC work out?). Love these armchair Coaches/AD's that think they have all the answers and everyone else knows nothing lol

Just remember the name..... we’ll discuss in a year or two

Sure, realistic expectations and concerns. Anyone that has already concluded that he should be replaced after 2 seasons (by JMU's coach?) is not being realistic or logical.

I agree . But I doubt hobbs makes a move even if ash keeps losing. Hobbs will give him 5-6 years before he admits he made a hiring mistake . I realize this . I think ash was a bad hire here, but hoping I am wrong . Because if he is bad this program won’t see a bowl game for at least anothe 6-7 years . So for all our sakes let’s hope ash figures some things out, gets a little lucky and is successful.

I agree . But I doubt hobbs makes a move even if ash keeps losing. Hobbs will give him 5-6 years before he admits he made a hiring mistake . I realize this . I think ash was a bad hire here, but hoping I am wrong . Because if he is bad this program won’t see a bowl game for at least anothe 6-7 years . So for all our sakes let’s hope ash figures some things out, gets a little lucky and is successful.
Sorry if i dont share your pessimism regarding the hire. I see everything trending up. Obviously the recruiting and on field result could be better but they have improved. The McNulty hire should result in an improved offense and QB play. The defense was significantly improved last season and should improve further the upcoming season. The pace is slower than we would like but things are trending positive

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Sorry if i dont share your pessimism regarding the hire. I see everything trending up. Obviously the recruiting and on field result could be better but they have improved. The McNulty hire should result in an improved offense and QB play. The defense was significantly improved last season and should improve further the upcoming season. The pace is slower than we would like but things are trending positive
Not to mention the very significant special teams improvement from year 1 to year 2

We will change your name to negative nelly.

Visions inspire people to follow. Chris Ash has a clear vision. I don’t know if his vision resonates with people. It clearly does not resonate with the best NJ hs football players.

This is simply the issue.

As many have said, his vision points towards mediocrity not excellence.

Last edited:
Visions inspire people to follow. Chris Ash has a clear vision. I don’t know if his vision resonates with people. It clearly does not resonate with the best NJ hs football players.

This is simply the issue.

As many have said, his vision points towards mediocrity not excellence.
What resonates with the best HS football players in NJ is winning, the same thing that resonates with the best players in every state.

What resonates with the best HS football players in NJ is winning, the same thing that resonates with the best players in every state.
Winning is One factor. Certainly not the only factor or good players would never go to programs with losing records would they?

Reactions: jcs321
Winning is One factor. Certainly not the only factor or good players would never go to programs with losing records would they?

Thing is it didn’t resonate with Schiano either until 05-06 and beyond in terms of ‘name’ prospects, and he had a giant assist when cuse fired Pasquiloni (and again when Pitt fired Wannestad). What I don’t get is why people are so selective in their memories with Schiano, were largely supportive with Flood as he torched the program to the ground, and yet are raking Ash over the coals. It’s such a contradiction I can’t help but laugh.

Joe P.

The fanbase is a huge part of the Rutgers perspective in state. People other than RU Alumni and fans peruse this site trust me.People make judgements based on many things other than strictly by wins and losses. It is like watching the current political scene .

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Thing is it didn’t resonate with Schiano either until 05-06 and beyond in terms of ‘name’ prospects, and he had a giant assist when cuse fired Pasquiloni (and again when Pitt fired Wannestad). What I don’t get is why people are so selective in their memories with Schiano, were largely supportive with Flood as he torched the program to the ground, and yet are raking Ash over the coals. It’s such a contradiction I can’t help but laugh.

Joe P.
Very true...i think its his Midwestern personality. He's a serious, hard working coach who is still finding his footing but he has the traits one would think the fan base would appreciate. He has put together a pretty solid new staff and I anticipate improved on the field and recruiting results. Rome wasnt built in a day

The fanbase is a huge part of the Rutgers perspective in state. People other than RU Alumni and fans peruse this site trust me.People make judgements based on many things other than strictly by wins and losses. It is like watching the current political scene .
Yikes, now the criticism on this board is the fault of why we are having a hard time recruiting. Now that's BS.

Joe P.
I agree that it took Schiano a few years to get going and got an assist from some key fireingsy but during his early years attendance and season ticket sales were constantly on the rise.

This thread is about Ash’s vision, nothing more. Stay on topic. What does Flood have to do with Ash’s vision, he had none. Schiano is a great comparison. Created a very positive vibe with recruits, slums and the state without early success.

Reactions: RutHut
I agree

See:
I WANT TO BUILD A FIRST CLASS PROGRAM.

- I WANT TO BUILD A FAST, PHYSICAL TEAM THAT PLAYS WITH RELENTLESS EFFORT, TREMENDOUS ENTHUSIASM, AND PLAYS FOR EACH OTHER.

OUR MISSION STATEMENT--IT WON'T INCLUDE ANYTHING ABOUT WINS, IT WON'T INCLUDE ANYTHING ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS. IT'S GOING TO INCLUDE AND TALK ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT WE ARE GOING TO CREATE TO DEVELOP THESE PLAYERS, MENTALLY, PHYSICALLY AND SPIRITUALLY TO REACH THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. AND TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE AFTER FOOTBALL.

AND IF WE CAN GET THAT DONE, THE WINS WILL COME

Thank you, KnightShift, but after further review, these nebulous statements do not constitute a vision, which Coach has chosen not to release. The tipoff is when he says, "Our Mission Statement--It Won't include". The Mission Statement typically includes a statement of vision and values.

@MYHATINTHERING said it best that if you have to look up the vision, it isn't a vision. You don't HAVE to talk about championships in your vision.

Penn State has a very powerful vision. UNRIVALED Simple, Powerful, Effective enough to build a whole marketing campaign around, and they use it everywhere.

13320-DEFAULT-m.jpg

10253037.jpeg

images

will-fries_cg2xmi.jpg

Thank you, KnightShift, but after further review, these nebulous statements do not constitute a vision, which Coach has chosen not to release. The tipoff is when he says, "Our Mission Statement--It Won't include". The Mission Statement typically includes a statement of vision and values.

@MYHATINTHERING said it best that if you have to look up the vision, it isn't a vision. You don't HAVE to talk about championships in your vision.

Penn State has a very powerful vision. UNRIVALED Simple, Powerful, Effective enough to build a whole marketing campaign around, and they use it everywhere.

13320-DEFAULT-m.jpg

10253037.jpeg

images

will-fries_cg2xmi.jpg
Yawn. Cheer for the enablers, then.

I don't mean to be rude, but I am perplexed by your turnaround.
Your routine was laughable and embarrassing when Flood was head coach. You used to post all this nonsensical rah, rah crap about how we were going to beat teams what we did not have a chance against.
And now you are panning Chris Ash because you mistakenly think he does not have a vision.

You are confusing vision, mission statements, taglines and slogans in your haste to toss Ash under the bus.
Unrivaled is the enablers' tagline or slogan.
RU's is The Hunt. Nobody cares if YOU like it or not.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...the_hunt_mean_let_rutgers_football_coach.html
"We're basically chasing the other teams in the Big Ten. We can't make any secret about that. To chase them, we gotta go hunt every single day. That's the theme of the offseason, that's the theme of the team right now. Whether it's in the weight room, out in the indoor (bubble) with our special workouts or in practice.''

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-a-tagline-a-slogan-and-a-mission-statement

--My quotes provided above are Chris Ash's vision statement for the program:

"A vision statement is - Where are we headed?
This is what a company wants to achieve or become. A vision is a seeing term. Therefore a vision statement should be future-oriented. It’s an image of what a company wants to create. It's not what a company is, it’s what it wants to become. While mission statements among similar businesses may be very similar, vision statements should be genuinely different. It should inspire and motivate decision-making. "

Ash's Mission statement:

- I WANT TO BUILD A FAST, PHYSICAL TEAM THAT PLAYS WITH RELENTLESS EFFORT, TREMENDOUS ENTHUSIASM, AND PLAYS FOR EACH OTHER.

"A mission statement is - How will we get there?
This is what a company does. It is usually short (a paragraph) and easy to remember. Nevertheless, it should not be too generic that you can’t tell what sort of business its doing. Do note that businesses with similar cause may have very similar mission statements. Why is this? That's because they essentially offer the same things (services / products)."

"Understanding the difference between a tagline and a slogan is essential to coming up with the proper choice of words for your company. Confusing the two can confuse your customers.

A tagline is a short, powerful phrase that is associated with your company name. It represents the tone and feeling you want for your products or services. It is often part of your company graphics e.g. the logo and letterhead. It stays with you all the time. It'll only change when you want to totally redefine your company. In many cases the tagline becomes so well known that it is instantly recognizable."

"A slogan is slightly different. It’s also a few words that bring your company to mind, but are intended to be less long lasting. The word slogan comes from a Scottish word meaning "battle cry." Your slogan goes with the battle you are waging right now. That means slogans are often used only for one product, or one campaign. A slogan may change regularly according to your campaigns to advertise a specific aspect of a product or service, while a company tagline is used consistently for a company as a whole. Because slogans change often, they are usually current and modern. It gives an impression of being new and trendy. Some marketers refer to slogans as product taglines, as opposed to company taglines."

RU's is "The Hunt."
Yours lately seems to be THE WHINE.

Sorry for being so harsh, but some of you people are tiresome with your inane complaints. It's all there. You don't have to choose to like it. But don't say something is there when it is smacking you right in the face.

Last edited:
Terry Shea’s vision was relentless pursuit of a bowl championship...where did that get him?

He failed in his quest, but so what. Close to 20 years later, you still remember what his vision was. That's the point. a vision isn't the be all end all, but it helps, imo, to clearly and succinctly express your goals, and in turn to inspire those who are your stakeholders: boosters, potential recruits, fans, and potential fans.

I agree that it took Schiano a few years to get going and got an assist from some key fireingsy but during his early years attendance and season ticket sales were constantly on the rise.

This thread is about Ash’s vision, nothing more. Stay on topic. What does Flood have to do with Ash’s vision, he had none. Schiano is a great comparison. Created a very positive vibe with recruits, slums and the state without early success.

...your two points seems to contradict- Schiano created a ‘very positive vibe’ yet ‘took a few years to get it going’. Season tickets also seemed to take a dip after ‘04; I remember being so dismayed I didn’t renew and the ticket office chasing me down and getting me back on board with the Young Alumni offer.

...and Al is just back to doing schtick. There’s no point in even responding to his last ridiculous post where he questions why Ash doesn’t have the ‘vision’ of a program that has a name established over f’n decades and has been in the league for 25+ years and joined with 2 NC’s and major bowl wins under their belts.

Joe P.

He failed in his quest, but so what. Close to 20 years later, you still remember what his vision was. That's the point. a vision isn't the be all end all, but it helps, imo, to clearly and succinctly express your goals, and in turn to inspire those who are your stakeholders: boosters, potential recruits, fans, and potential fans.

*Looks at new weight room, new practice field*

...guess at least the boosters get the ‘vision’...

Joe P,

“The Hunt”.

Fits all your criteria except your new narrative.

Joe P.

Yawn. Cheer for the enablers, then.

I don't mean to be rude, but I am perplexed by your turnaround.
Your routine was laughable and embarrassing when Flood was head coach. You used to post all this nonsensical rah, rah crap about how we were going to beat teams what we did not have a chance against.
And now you are panning Chris Ash because you mistakenly think he does not have a vision.

You are confusing vision, mission statements, taglines and slogans in your haste to toss Ash under the bus.
Unrivaled is the enablers' tagline or slogan.
RU's is The Hunt. Nobody cares if YOU like it or not.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...the_hunt_mean_let_rutgers_football_coach.html
"We're basically chasing the other teams in the Big Ten. We can't make any secret about that. To chase them, we gotta go hunt every single day. That's the theme of the offseason, that's the theme of the team right now. Whether it's in the weight room, out in the indoor (bubble) with our special workouts or in practice.''

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-a-tagline-a-slogan-and-a-mission-statement

--My quotes provided above are Chris Ash's vision statement for the program:

"A vision statement is - Where are we headed?
This is what a company wants to achieve or become. A vision is a seeing term. Therefore a vision statement should be future-oriented. It’s an image of what a company wants to create. It's not what a company is, it’s what it wants to become. While mission statements among similar businesses may be very similar, vision statements should be genuinely different. It should inspire and motivate decision-making. "

Ash's Vision statement:

"A mission statement is - How will we get there?
This is what a company does. It is usually short (a paragraph) and easy to remember. Nevertheless, it should not be too generic that you can’t tell what sort of business its doing. Do note that businesses with similar cause may have very similar mission statements. Why is this? That's because they essentially offer the same things (services / products)."

"Understanding the difference between a tagline and a slogan is essential to coming up with the proper choice of words for your company. Confusing the two can confuse your customers.

A tagline is a short, powerful phrase that is associated with your company name. It represents the tone and feeling you want for your products or services. It is often part of your company graphics e.g. the logo and letterhead. It stays with you all the time. It'll only change when you want to totally redefine your company. In many cases the tagline becomes so well known that it is instantly recognizable."

"A slogan is slightly different. It’s also a few words that bring your company to mind, but are intended to be less long lasting. The word slogan comes from a Scottish word meaning "battle cry." Your slogan goes with the battle you are waging right now. That means slogans are often used only for one product, or one campaign. A slogan may change regularly according to your campaigns to advertise a specific aspect of a product or service, while a company tagline is used consistently for a company as a whole. Because slogans change often, they are usually current and modern. It gives an impression of being new and trendy. Some marketers refer to slogans as product taglines, as opposed to company taglines."

RU's is "The Hunt."
Yours lately seems to be THE WHINE.

Sorry for being so harsh, but some of you people are tiresome with your inane complaints. It's all there. You don't have to choose to like it. But don't say something is there when it is smacking you right in the face.
Thanks for this info. I hope "the Hunt" is a temporary tagline (did I get that right?). And yes I feel Ash is doing some good things.

This intentionally vague and nebulous statement is not a vision. What does it even mean? fast and physical enough to lose to OSU 42-0 rather than 58-0?

a vision statement needs to be aspirational and inspirational and ideally could have a clear goal to set the direction for the program. He already said, "if we were to provide a mission statement" which meant he wasn't going to provide a mission statement at that time, and subsequently hasn't, to my knowledge.

If you need to go back to his introductory press conference to lookup his vision, then its not a vision. As supporters of the football program, we should all know his vision, if he provided one, and he didn't.

Terry Shea's "Relentless pursuit of a bowl championship" and Greg Schiano's "We're going to win Championships" are examples of visions because they are aspirational, inspirational, and clear goal is stated. No one had to look it up.

Penn State has a clear, coherent message as to what they are about, and we don't.

Reactions: RU85inFla
Al just described Terry Shea’s “vision” (which 1-2 people actually remember and I only saw written anywhere in one picture in the ‘99 media guide, where they had a picture of a players’ lounge and it was stenciled on the wall) as “aspirational and inspirational”. You’re lucky I’m not a mod because I’d permaban you just for being that obvious about trying to stir the pot.

Hey, this picture was also in that same media guide:
20374672_1384976728205018_2757205907534325455_n.jpg

Does that make me “aspirational and inspirational” too?

Joe P.

Last edited:
Reactions: madchuck
Been biting my tongue on reading some of your recent posts. This one is right there with being one of the dumbest. Posters like you show your ignorance of the game by saying he is not coaching to win.EVERY coach coaches to win. The entire staff helps put together a game plan that will #1 give the team their best chance to win. That game plan can and probably Includes who are we playing, what do they do best and how do we counter that, what can we do best against them etc. The negatoids say he coaches not to lose. I say he coaches to limit superior teams opportunities to score. The less an opponent scores the better our chances of winning are

There were games where it certainly looked like he wasn't playing to win. Punting it from the 40 yard line. The slow developing handoff on 3rd down. It worked against Illinois and Maryland. Purdue played like shit. Every other game we were a mess offensively.

There were games where it certainly looked like he wasn't playing to win. Punting it from the 40 yard line. The slow developing handoff on 3rd down. It worked against Illinois and Maryland. Purdue played like shit. Every other game we were a mess offensively.

If the team is a mess offensively, maybe punting and playing field position is the best way to win.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not to mention the 3 yard passes on 3rd and 6. Those game plans were barely adequate enough to beat mediocre/bad teams. It bit them in the ass against EMU.

Reactions: madchuck
Concessions are sometimes needed to end a thread. Al should not be banned and Ash is a good man. Visions are important, but it is arguable how important and what should be included in one. Ash has a vision but may need to better sell it to recruits. Hope this is my last post in this thread, but I doubt it.

This intentionally vague and nebulous statement is not a vision. What does it even mean? fast and physical enough to lose to OSU 42-0 rather than 58-0?

a vision statement needs to be aspirational and inspirational and ideally could have a clear goal to set the direction for the program. He already said, "if we were to provide a mission statement" which meant he wasn't going to provide a mission statement at that time, and subsequently hasn't, to my knowledge.

If you need to go back to his introductory press conference to lookup his vision, then its not a vision. As supporters of the football program, we should all know his vision, if he provided one, and he didn't.

Terry Shea's "Relentless pursuit of a bowl championship" and Greg Schiano's "We're going to win Championships" are examples of visions because they are aspirational, inspirational, and clear goal is stated. No one had to look it up.

Penn State has a clear, coherent message as to what they are about, and we don't.
I had a typo. The longer one is the mission statement. His vision is:
I WANT TO BUILD A FIRST CLASS PROGRAM
Sorry if you don't like it. Remember: "This is what a company wants to achieve or become. A vision is a seeing term. Therefore a vision statement should be future-oriented. It’s an image of what a company wants to create. It's not what a company is, it’s what it wants to become."

It was a mockery for Shea and Schiano and Flood to talk about championships. We are in the B1G East basement for goodness sakes. Let's build a first class program, first, and then reset the vision. OK?

Unrivaled is a dumb, arrogant statement for a team that is pining to be the rival of Ohio State. It's schtick, something their head coach is good at. I suggest you cheer for them, or contact Ash/Hobbs directly with your suggestions for improved Vision and mission statements.

You used to post all this nonsensical rah, rah crap about how we were going to beat teams what we did not have a chance against.

In 2014, we had a QB, we had Fridge as OC, and we had a chance to beat anyone. Once Nova graduated, our Big Ten competitiveness left the building, and has yet to return.

Flood followed the Schiano template which had already been proven to work, and did the best he could, so there was a comfort level with what he was doing, until we found out that things weren't going as well as thought.

Chris Ash brought his own Template, which is fair enough, and frankly I didn't feel comfortable with many of the decisions that he made, but for the most part kept quiet, though I complain a lot regarding our lack of FL recruiting, because I think its such a flagrant mistake. So now that its almost halfway through his guaranteed tenure (2 seasons and 3 recruiting classes), its fair to assess where we are. These are a few of the biggest concerns I have.
  • Our 2018 class was worse than our 2017 class
  • Our 2018 class had 4 NJ recruits
  • Boston College has as many 2018 NJ signees as Rutgers
  • In 2015 Kyle Flood beat Indiana 55-52; In 2017 Chris Ash loses to Indiana 41-0
  • It's year 3, and we don't have an established QB yet
  • Ash's best season is equivalent to Flood's worst, though he's getting paid double
  • Defensive Line has little depth, and things could get worse with graduations
  • Assistants leaving in droves
Now if things were going well, then there's no need for questions. But things aren't going as well as expected, so it is appropriate to raise questions. The biggest red flag in my mind, is that recruiting should be getting better each year. In 2018, it slipped. Though its not the be all end all, i think having a clear coherent vision would help.

2019 recruiting has to rebound in a big way, especially instate. Thankfully so far it looks like it will, with the commitments and hiring of new coaches. But the jury is out. Need to see better results on the recruiting trail, otherwise it will be difficult for Rutgers to succeed.

Did you guys get Masters from Penn State or something.
No but I know that having a segment of your fan base waste time and energy complaining about what they perceive as the absence of a vision is counterproductive. It may not have a major impact on recruiting but ot sure doesnt help. Negativity breeds negativity and that seems to be all some here know. Call a spade a spade but dont invent idiotic things to complain about.

I had a typo. The longer one is the mission statement. His vision is:
I WANT TO BUILD A FIRST CLASS PROGRAM
Sorry if you don't like it. Remember: "This is what a company wants to achieve or become. A vision is a seeing term. Therefore a vision statement should be future-oriented. It’s an image of what a company wants to create. It's not what a company is, it’s what it wants to become."

It was a mockery for Shea and Schiano and Flood to talk about championships. We are in the B1G East basement for goodness sakes. Let's build a first class program, first, and then reset the vision. OK?

Unrivaled is a dumb, arrogant statement for a team that is pining to be the rival of Ohio State. It's schtick, something their head coach is good at. I suggest you cheer for them, or contact Ash/Hobbs directly with your suggestions for improved Vision and mission statements.

The most important component of a First Class Program is processes and people.
Schiano built a First Class Program, that lost its status towards the end of the Flood era. The consecutive bowl trips and numbers of personnel that went to the NFL were evidence of the programs prowess.

So, building a First Class program wasn't a vision, but it was a short term goal and priority #1, that was accomplished in short order. Installing Chris Parker and the S&C staff, plus ensuring better discipline and accountability ensured that Rutgers was again a First Class program. Would have been impossible to recruit against OSU and PSU, if we were to admit that we're a second class program. At least we got Micah.

It wasn't a mockery for Schiano and Flood to talk about Championships because through their efforts, Rutgers won a share of the Big East Championship in 2012, and should have won it in 2006, if not for a blown call in the West Virginia Game. That was quite a journey from being the dregs of college football in 2000. How did he do it? He sold recruits on championships and got them to believe in his vision. And thankfully enough players believed in his vision. Till Schiano, winning football at Rutgers was an abstract notion. I still remember a former player saying, "Schiano sold that sht real good"

But I understand that you consider it to be his vision, so fair enough, we can move on.

Penn States so called schtick has brought them results. It is arrogant, but I think successful football recruits, like Micah Parsons, one of the Top recruits from 2018, find it appealing, because they see themselves a breed apart. Having dealt with top recruits at another university, many moons ago, i've found them to be naturally arrogant. they have reason to be, being the best of the best, and having numerous colleges fawning over them.

James Franklin has delivered results and i think it all starts with unrivaled, an attitude thats project everywhere. Consistently strong recruiting classes, a Big Ten Championship in '16, and competitiveness for the Big Ten Championship in '17. Unrivaled projects an aura of exclusivity and aspiration for excellence to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT