ADVERTISEMENT

What was the most lopsided Rutgers victory you ever attended?

BeantownKnight

All Conference
Feb 14, 2008
Seeing as there was just a post on the RU-ND game from '96 (where we lost 62-0), it got me thinking about .. well, aside from our terrible losses to tOSU and Michigan during the Ash years .. the most fun we ever had dishing it out on some poor opponent. So, my question, of course, is what was the most lopsided Rutgers victory you ever attended? It could've been home or away, a long time ago or some time in the recent past. Were you a good fan? Did you speak kindly to opposing fans? Were you generous, inviting them to your tailgates, and after-parties? Tell me.

First ones that come to mind for me are Colgate at Giants Stadium in 1993 (68-6 I think?) and Louisville in 2008 63-14. I don't remember too many fans of the other teams being around for those games.
Phil Simms standing all alone in the stands pissed off they wouldnt play his son in that lopsided loss.
Also loved Greg's response to the reporter going into halftime...
The Texas Bowl was also never as close as even that beatdown was.

First ones that come to mind for me are Colgate at Giants Stadium in 1993 (68-6 I think?) and Louisville in 2008 63-14. I don't remember too many fans of the other teams being around for those games.

2008 was a frustrating season. From 1 - 5 to start the season to arguably the best in league by the end of the season. We hung 49 against Louisville in the first half alone.

1958: The week after RU's only loss that season, which was 13-12 to the Quantico Marines (heart-breaking), we finished off the season 8-1 with a 61-0 victory over Columbia. I recall that the score in that game after the first quarter was 0-0.

Last edited:
I'll say that the that '08 Louisvile game was the first one that came to mind for me. But, I also know that there are some on this board (a bit older than I) who enjoyed games I'd only heard about (like that one against Columbia).

Two that come to mind. RU 61-0 , over Columbia 1958; and in 93 , RU 62 Temple 0. 58 was Billy Austin’s last game, and I remember Bill Cosby, on Temple’s sideline at GS. ps might have been at the Colgate game 69-6, since I was a season ticket holder back then, but I don’t remember. Also, remember a game, but didn’t attend where RU beat Kings Point, like 79-0, in the late 40’s

Last edited:
I remember beating a team 69-0 at the meadowlands I think. We missed the last extra point so I was a bit disappointed that we did not make 70

Temple or Columbia?

If my memory is served correctly

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet1984
2008 was a frustrating season. From 1 - 5 to start the season to arguably the best in league by the end of the season. We hung 49 against Louisville in the first half alone.
Lost some very close and frustrating games early too.

Phil Simms standing all alone in the stands pissed off they wouldnt play his son in that lopsided loss.

Agree about the 2006 Texas Bowl where RU beat a decent K State team 37-10. Margin could have been higher. K State got 6 first downs the entire game and got whipped on both sides of the ball.

I remember beating a team 69-0 at the meadowlands I think. We missed an extra point so I was a bit disappointed that we did not make 70

Temple or Columbia?

If my memory is served correctly
I think that was Temple and it may have been 1993 too. Rutgers Stadium was under construction that year.

Agree about the 2006 Texas Bowl where RU beat a decent K State team 37-10. Margin could have been higher. K State got 6 first downs the entire game and got whipped on both sides of the ball.
I'll always remember talking to some of their fans at the Airport on the way home. They were giving made respect to our team. They really thought they were going to have an easy win in that game but afterwards, they said to me "the only team that got screwed worse than Rutgers with the bowl match ups was them. Because little did they know they were put up against a NY Bowl level team"

Reactions: redking
I can’t remember the exact year, but we beat Cincinnati when Muchie was the QB. I think they crossed the 50 yard line once in that game.

Yeah,I liked hat response too. BUT,I hated him losing that '07 game even more than I liked that response. Still do.That one and te Syracuse game up there with that ex BB PLAYER AT qb.

“We might not be done yet.”
Two that come to mind. RU 61-0 , over Columbia 1958; and in 93 , RU 62 Temple 0. 58 was Billy Austin’s last game, and I remember Bill Cosby, on Temple’s sideline at GS. ps might have been at the Colgate game 69-6, since I was a season ticket holder back then, but I don’t remember. Also, remember a game, but didn’t attend where RU beat Kings Point, like 79-0, in the late 40’s
I was there too.

Two things I remember about that game: feeling sorry for Temple and how small their return men were. Like really tiny.

I remember beating a team 69-0 at the meadowlands I think. We missed an extra point so I was a bit disappointed that we did not make 70
Temple or Columbia? If my memory is served correctly

*October 28,1978 Rutgers 69 Columbia 0
Giants Stadium - East Rutherford, NJ Attendance: 7,765
*acting head coach Bob Naso, Frank Burns recovering from a heart attack

All Time Rutgers Record:

*October 9, 1915 Rutgers 96 Rensselaer 0
Neilson Field, New Brunswick, NJ
*Paul Robeson's first appearance in a Rutgers game

*October 28,1978 Rutgers 69 Columbia 0
Giants Stadium - East Rutherford, NJ Attendance: 7,765
*acting head coach Bob Naso, Frank Burns recovering from a heart attack

All Time Rutgers Record:

*October 9, 1915 Rutgers 96 Rensselaer 0
Neilson Field, New Brunswick, NJ
*Paul Robeson's first appearance in a Rutgers game

1978? Damm I’m getting really old!!

So many games, so many losses, early on. It was tough scoring points on the road during the fifties and part of the sixties, yet less beating a team convincingly. The exception seemed to be Columbia and maybe Lafayette. Sometime in the mid fifties I remember losing to Colgate at home 48-6 and than beating them in Hamilton the following season by the same score ! Until the 70' s, we rarely won road games by a lot of points, but we lost a few by large margins.
The Columbia game at GS 69-0 was probably the most lopsided game. They were really bad that day and we played great. But in reality, a complete mismatch. We also beat Louisville 41-0 one year, at their place.

Reactions: Plum Street
1993 Temple game aka The Terrell Willis Show.
That was the year we started the first 4 games averaging over 40 ppg. Scored over forty two more times, but lost the last five and ended up 4-7. That might have been the year Ken Smith returned a KO against Army for a TD and we won a high scoring game at Michie.

That game against Louisville in 08. 49 points in the first half, wow that was so fun to watch!! I doubt I'll ever witness another half where we unexpectedly dominate with such entertaining and explosive offense. That was just.... Wow!

That game against Louisville in 08. 49 points in the first half, wow that was so fun to watch!! I doubt I'll ever witness another half where we unexpectedly dominate with such entertaining and explosive offense. That was just.... Wow!
Yep, glad we avenged the heartbreaking loss there in 07 with a massive blowout my senior year. Well..first senior year I guess since I did 4.5 years.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Just football? If not, then clearly the Lady Knights kicking somebody by 75 points back in the day when you could get a discount out in an EB athletic shoe store of the percentage that they won by. I was there and got the sneaks.

Also loved Ron English looking to fight someone... anyone from our sideline going into THE HALF because he was so pissed we were running it up on them.

Just football? If not, then clearly the Lady Knights kicking somebody by 75 points back in the day when you could get a discount out in an EB athletic shoe store of the percentage that they won by. I was there and got the sneaks.
As I recall, fans used to chant "Half priced shoes!" once games got out of hand. [roll]

As I recall, fans used to chant "Half priced shoes!" once games got out of hand. [roll]
Wicks and Sticks! What a team. My favorite player was Lynn Foley, whose job seemed to be to keep Sue Wicks in the right spot, make put backs, and calm everybody down when things got out of hand a bit. Man, loved going to the games back then.

Reactions: LC-88
was at both of those.. but I only remember the Louisville game.

Not score-wise.. but the most effective beat-down I saw was when Illinois visited and did not pass the 50-yard line in 2006.. 33-0.. that was when I first thought we might have something special here.. I couldn't believe the D was better after losing some good talent.

The 1999 game? The Simms family brought a tour bus into the yellow lot.. got some special deal to park up from in a cordoned-off area. And this is what Texas did for them in a game they'd lead 38-6 at halftime. What a slap in the face... that screams... "we hope Chris Simms transfers" to me.

Passing Att-Cmp-Int Yds TD Long Sack
-------------------------------------------------
Applewhite, Major 32-19-0 244 2 36 1
Simms, Chris 0-0-0 0 0 0 1
Totals... 32-19-0 244 2 36 2

we'd be 0-9 going into the last home game vs 6-3 Syracuse.. and we beat em in OT to a crowd of.. what.. 3000?

That's HEART...

Last edited:
59-0 win over Buffalo in 2000. I remember thinking that Rutgers may actually have a good team this year as they were now 2-0. Rutgers went 1-8 (only other win was against a 1-10 Navy) the rest of the season getting blown out in most games.

59-0 win over Buffalo in 2000. I remember thinking that Rutgers may actually have a good team this year as they were now 2-0. Rutgers went 1-8 (only other win was against a 1-10 Navy) the rest of the season getting blown out in most games.

I remember that . I didn’t think we would be good though, but there was some buzz . Obviously, team stunk

I think that was Temple and it may have been 1993 too. Rutgers Stadium was under construction that year.

source figured out it was the 1978 game vs
columbia, at the meadowlands

I am one of the few that actually liked games at giants stadium. It was a quicker commute for me and I loved old giants stadium. Plus, our old stadium was a dump in later years . And I liked the fact we could play at night .
We played one game at MetLife and that was enough . Never again

I am one of the few that actually liked games at giants stadium. It was a quicker commute for me and I loved old giants stadium. Plus, our old stadium was a dump in later years . And I liked the fact we could play at night.
We played one game at MetLife and that was enough. Never again.
When you put that way there is a lot to agree with here.

But if a local team, sarah or UCan't for example, wants to make that their home game...I'm cool.

Same with Temple, I don't hate going to the Linc. Would prefer it was more of a 3-1 thing but not a bad ride, view or tailgating experience.

Reactions: Plum Street
I was at both blowout wins in 93 over Temple and Colgate. Same point differential. Temple was horrible in those days, but of course we joined them within a couple of years.

ADVERTISEMENT