ADVERTISEMENT

What we learned

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
First,Columbia is beyond awful. It is unimaginable that they could be this bad in NYC with a proud heritage and such a great university. As many know since we got rid of the arcane Ivy antitrust exemption,there will be Ivy scholarships in 2-3 years,but Engles will be long gone.

It is all about Spencer and Mag to get to 20 plus wins,5th in the Big Ten and an 8 seed.

The first real game won't happen until a very tough trip to Miami.

First,Columbia is beyond awful. It is unimaginable that they could be this bad in NYC with a proud heritage and such a great university. As many know since we got rid of the arcane Ivy antitrust exemption,there will be Ivy scholarships in 2-3 years,but Engles will be long gone.

It is all about Spencer and Mag to get to 20 plus wins,5th in the Big Ten and an 8 seed.

Temple is a very real game.

HUH?

Ivy league offering sports scholarships would be a bad idea and go against what most of the Ivy League schools are about.

I thought OP was touting Columbia and the Ivy League in general a few days ago? Maybe I have you confused with someone else.

Anyway, agree they were beyond awful, but Temple will absolutely be a test at a neutral court (yes I know they lost to Wagner).

Could see Rider giving us a game too. They're at Providence tonight, interested to see how they do.

He's saying if those two play well, it's a good possibility. Cliff, Paul and Caleb are pretty sure things. Not unreasonable at all.
Yeah I don't agree with that; I think there are more "moving parts" to the equation year than just those 5. Not really sure how you can leave out Reiber, Simpson or Hyatt. They're going to be VERY important in our effort to achieve this year's goals. That's just silly IMHO.

@RU72 let's hope for something other than an 8 or 9-seed please!

Last edited:
Reactions: ChasRC69
I thought OP was touting Columbia and the Ivy League in general a few days ago? Maybe I have you confused with someone else.

Anyway, agree they were beyond awful, but Temple will absolutely be a test at a neutral court (yes I know they lost to Wagner).

Could see Rider giving us a game too. They're at Providence tonight, interested to see how they do.
LOL, he totally was.

Columbia wasn’t very good, but let’s not minimize just how bad we made them look.

Reactions: ChasRC69
Wow.

After hyping Columbia up, the OP tears them down hard without any real credit to RU.

It’s just one game in the season y’know. And lol @ blaming the lack of schollies for the loss.

Happy to clarify. Rutgers is very good and a strong Cam and Mag makes them move to a great team because those 2 are difference makers and can be spectacular. Simpson will be a better Geo when all is said and done,but does not turn Rutgers into great. Hyatt is a very important piece. Dean is not a difference maker in my opinion. As a side note,Cam was, along with a UNC player the best player on the floor in the scrimmage.

I will rephrase. Rutgers isn't losing to a middle of the pack AAC or MAAC team. Miami prepares Rutgers for the rigors of the top 6 teams in the Big Ten.

The Ivy is a sports conference at its essence. They have colluded to deny athletic scholarships and those days are over. The Ivy has won more national championships than the Big Ten.

Mag/Hyatt are the X factors here. I think spencer will be just when competition gets better.

I will be down in Coral Gables for the UM game, anyone else here going?

Happy to clarify. Rutgers is very good and a strong Cam and Mag makes them move to a great team because those 2 are difference makers and can be spectacular. Simpson will be a better Geo when all is said and done,but does not turn Rutgers into great. Hyatt is a very important piece. Dean is not a difference maker in my opinion. As a side note,Cam was, along with a UNC player the best player on the floor in the scrimmage.

I will rephrase. Rutgers isn't losing to a middle of the pack AAC or MAAC team. Miami prepares Rutgers for the rigors of the top 6 teams in the Big Ten.

The Ivy is a sports conference at its essence. They have colluded to deny athletic scholarships and those days are over. The Ivy has won more national championships than the Big Ten.
Agree with a lot of this. Dean is definitely a good player but he doesn't move the needle, good complimentary part though

I agree Columbia was beyond putrid.
Yes, Columbia was putrid but the score was 25-21 with two minutes remaining in the first half,Rutgers then scored the last six points to have a 31-21 lead at halftime.Spencer took over at the start of second half scoring 12 out of his 17 points and the rout started with Columbia continuing to shoot bricks from th e 3 point line.The bench players got playing time in the last five minutes of the game with Oskar banking a 3 pointer being the high light.Mulcahy injury to left arm is a concern.

Despite Columbia being bad- you’d have to go back to the Niagara or Caldwell games of 2019-20 to find another 40 point blow out outcome in RU basketball favor. The last two years we only won a handful of games by even 20+ let alone 40. So regardless of competition level this was a great start. Fairfield doesn’t count but overall we looked good in that one too.

Whether it's full, 3/4, or 1/2 court trapping, I expect to see a lot more pressure from our opponents going forward. We did not handle pressure well at all yesterday against a subpar team. I love Paul's game, but he doesn't handle pressure particularly well. Yesterday, he was just plain awful. Simpson showed he's a freshman with a few unforced errors. I don't trust Mag handling against pressure either.

If I'm scouting RU, I'm dialing up the heat.

Whether it's full, 3/4, or 1/2 court trapping, I expect to see a lot more pressure from our opponents going forward. We did not handle pressure well at all yesterday against a subpar team. I love Paul's game, but he doesn't handle pressure particularly well. Yesterday, he was just plain awful. Simpson showed he's a freshman with a few unforced errors. I don't trust Mag handling against pressure either.

There was a stretch, from being up 15-0 to the half, we were incredibly sloppy....BUT...the rest of the game was just the opposite IIRC. Could have been just a little 1st game "holy crap we're up big, early" sloppiness.

Yeah, but unless you are really deep and practice full court press a lot, no one is going to resort to that very often. It takes too much energy and leaves you open to easy baskets.

RU72-

Weren't you the one saying last week that Columbia had some good guards who might surprise us and was not to be taken lightly?

Reactions: ru66
RU72's post...pretty spot on if you ask me

"I do Yale radio and have,with others an Ivy website. Jim Engles needs to win let's say 6 Ivy games or he is done. Ace recruiter Tobe Carberry who came over from Yale brought in arguably the best Ivy class highlighted by smooth Blair Thompson who would be a solid Big East recruit. Holdovers De La Rosa and Shockley-Oweke and shoot it and create as well.They have no one who can remotely defend Cliff but it Caleb is still out it could be close for 20 minutes. If the Columbia frosh,which also include Avery Brown and Kenny Noland grow up quickly and hit 3's,an area where we know Rutgers is vulnerable then it could be a game throughout. The Ivy is vastly underrated."

Every year people talk about teams pressing us. It essentially never happens outside of late game situations when teams are trailing

I agree, but no Geo this year so we will see. Plus Pauls facial hair could give opponents hope that a press would work.

If pressed we will run and beat teams down the court.

Last edited:
Reactions: DC8690 and TRU2RU
Every year people talk about teams pressing us. It essentially never happens outside of late game situations when teams are trailing
I don't recall that being brought up. Especially when we had J Young and Geo; 2 guys that could handle pressure.

Pressing doesn't need to be 80 feet. I'd have to watch the tape again, but whatever Colombia was doing in the 1/2 court made us look vulnerable. Who's our go-to ball handler when the pressure gets dialed up?

Despite Columbia being bad- you’d have to go back to the Niagara or Caldwell games of 2019-20 to find another 40 point blow out outcome in RU basketball favor. The last two years we only won a handful of games by even 20+ let alone 40. So regardless of competition level this was a great start. Fairfield doesn’t count but overall we looked good in that one too.
I remember the Eddie Jordan years, when we would lose by 40 . . .

Maybe the Ivys are looking at the current rules and have decided this is their time. They have more money than God, and if their donors redirect 1% of their contributions to NIL, they can outspend anyone else. Imagine being able to get a Harvard diploma, and earning more money than you could have at Alabama . . .

I agree, but no Geo this year so we will see. Plus Pauls facial hair could give opponents hope that a press would work.

I’d of thought this going into the season but after seeing the team I don’t think so. Cam’s ball handling is way better than I thought and he’s a sneaky good transition player. Simpson is going to be excellent in transition - Cam doesn’t look like he’d be fast but then he runs up and down the court quite well and proved he can finish. I think we’d make teams pay too easily if they pressed us.

Reactions: Scangg
RU72's post...pretty spot on if you ask me

"I do Yale radio and have,with others an Ivy website. Jim Engles needs to win let's say 6 Ivy games or he is done. Ace recruiter Tobe Carberry who came over from Yale brought in arguably the best Ivy class highlighted by smooth Blair Thompson who would be a solid Big East recruit. Holdovers De La Rosa and Shockley-Oweke and shoot it and create as well.They have no one who can remotely defend Cliff but it Caleb is still out it could be close for 20 minutes. If the Columbia frosh,which also include Avery Brown and Kenny Noland grow up quickly and hit 3's,an area where we know Rutgers is vulnerable then it could be a game throughout. The Ivy is vastly underrated."
Wow, couple of guys taking shots at the OP, 🤔🤔

He was correct when he said it could be close for 20 minutes. It was actually a 4 point game, 25-21 at the 18 minute point.

Last edited:
I don't recall that being brought up. Especially when we had J Young and Geo; 2 guys that could handle pressure.

Pressing doesn't need to be 80 feet. I'd have to watch the tape again, but whatever Colombia was doing in the 1/2 court made us look vulnerable. Who's our go-to ball handler when the pressure gets dialed up?
Spencer

It's official. Rider is a real game. The Broncs were thisclose to beating the Friars last night.
It was official before the Providence game. Early on we all take too much stock in one individual game (good and bad).

Rider shot 9-14 from 3
Providence shot 4-19 from 3

Last year Rider shot 31.6% from 3
Last year PC shot 34.4% from 3

I have zero info on the quality of looks AND any roster changes/improvements, but that is a 21.3 point swing just based on shooting relative to last year.

On a lighter note the New Haven Pizza Challenge is coming on strong with A Sally Pizza
coming in second and a Newbee trying to breakin! Sally’s is definitely not the best. Just walk up the street and you will find it.

On a lighter note the New Haven Pizza Challenge is coming on strong with A Sally Pizza
coming in second and a Newbee trying to breakin! Sally’s is definitely not the best. Just walk up the street and you will find it.

ADVERTISEMENT