ADVERTISEMENT

What would other big ten teams do?

Let's role play:

Your boss walks in and asks you if you can help out on a new project, because he thinks it is important to the success of the mission of the organization.

You going to flat out say no? Good luck when you need something from the boss or he has to make a decision on your promotion or layoff.

Schiano would be unwise to respond as you have suggested, but it would not surprise me. Some fans think Hobbs is naive on football and stay out of it, but anybody can see that the offense has been a colossal failure for 3 years. A smart and humble man would take the advice of the boss.
If GS gets a promotion, it’ll be from a different AD at a different school. Nothing higher than HC in football.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Hobbs never wanted to hire GS and most of us were losing it (me included). I’m eating crow at this point - GS is a huge disappointment and that’s being kind.

However we are where we are. RU doesn’t have the coin to go in another direction so let’s hope year 4 or 5 surprises us all and rights the ship. No way we make a move before year 5.

Let's role play:

Your boss walks in and asks you if you can help out on a new project, because he thinks it is important to the success of the mission of the organization.

You going to flat out say no?
I'm not. Schiano would.

I think we are in agreement.

Hobbs never wanted to hire GS and most of us were losing it (me included). I’m eating crow at this point - GS is a huge disappointment and that’s being kind.

However we are where we are. RU doesn’t have the coin to go in another direction so let’s hope year 4 or 5 surprises us all and rights the ship. No way we make a move before year 5.
We have the coin, but donee have the balls to spend it? Regardless, he should get one more crack with a new OC

That's fine but not being a team player. A successful person is willing to admit to failure and weakness and take the advice of superiors to improve. Stubborn is as stubborn does, but we do agree
But as other have suggested, Hobbs doesn’t know football. How is he going to help other than stating the obvious.

No one talks about our defense, although we lost five games by more than four touchdowns and gave up more than fifty points twice (and gave up 49 points once). Yes, I understand that our offense gives the other team touchdowns or a short field on turnovers, and that our failure to move the ball means that the defense has to play a lot and gets exhausted. (Today Maryland ran 88 plays to our 49.) Still, we are giving up scores on long drives early in games. I know one issue is an undersized defensive line;. What else is holding our defense back? Is GS living up to his reputation as an expert on the defensive side of the ball.
The defense isn’t bad. If the offense were as good as the defense right now we’d all be ecstatic.

Schiano is still a good hire for RU. Nobody that would take the job can turn it around in faster. Never going to happen, particularly now with NIL. Just like the first time, he has built a D1 defense first. Now he needs a great OC hire to make the offense competent. He also has a QB with the tools. I am looking forward to next season. #1 priority. Keep our superstar DL.

Reactions: lakejj
Every team except Northwestern would made a move already. Unless it was their "Greg Schiano." (Every school probably has an equivalent somewhere in their history). That makes it more difficult.

At least that's how it looks from the outside...
You think? I mean, a school like Ohio State or Michigan would never be in the starting position Rutgers was in so it’s sort of impossible to even say, but firing him NOW just seems dumb to me no matter who you are.

If the demand is unenforceable, it isn't much of a demand, no?

Let's role play;

HOBBS: Greg, we really need to upgrade the OC position. Let's put together a list of realistic candidates.

SCHIANO: No need. I've made my decision. Nunzio's my guy.

HOBBS: ?????
Which is why Hobbs can’t even begin the conversation and have any self-respect. Schiano would just ignore him.

Reactions: SHUSource

Let's role play;

HOBBS: Greg, we really need to upgrade the OC position. Let's put together a list of realistic candidates.

Schiano wouldn't say that. Even if you think you're going to hire from inside, you go through a national search. After all, you never know who's out there unless you look.

Which is why Hobbs can’t even begin the conversation and have any self-respect. Schiano would just ignore him.
This is just false. There are ways of suggesting or convincing someone to do something that don't involve direct leverage.

Such as ? This isn’t theory. This is Schiano, smug and egotistical as ever and has all the leverage this early in the contract period.

Such as ? This isn’t theory. This is Schiano, smug and egotistical as ever and has all the leverage this early in the contract period.
Sure, maybe. He might completely ignore any suggestions and continue failing until he eventually gets fired. This is not a reason for Hobbs not to suggest or even tell him to do things.

The AD controls the athletic department budget. The last thing you ever want to do is to get on the wrong side of whoever controls your spending. That's just one example. You always want to be getting along with your boss even if he can't fire you. Even tenured professors listen to the department chair or dean.

So RU lost 11 players for the season due to injuries (including best RB)
The QB position is a major weakness with a 19 yr old rookie, designated-savior playing one of toughest conferences.
Now I never liked Greg's beans-n-franks offenses, but no OC could come to RU and work miracles.
A good OC wouldn't even be interested in RU

On the org chart yes. But does the AD really control the budget ? Really ? What would be the benefit shorting the football team when the coach is safe ?

A chair may take a tenured but lately unproductive faculty member’s lab away if there’s another who needs the space for a funded project.

But football isn’t that. The coach is king.

On the org chart yes. But does the AD really control the budget ? Really ? What would be the benefit shorting the football team when the coach is safe ?

A chair may take a tenured but lately unproductive faculty member’s lab away if there’s another who needs the space for a funded project.

But football isn’t that. The coach is king.
Take it from me: there are lots of ways in which the person who controls the budget can be an absolute PITA. What lunches will we consider to be business lunches for which we'll reimburse? How much will we reimburse, and for what items? What hotels can you stay at and can you order room service, and what can you order? What receipts do you have to show? (Rutgers drove faculty -- and even deans -- crazy with this.) Will we raise the pay of your administrative assistant if you want us to, or will you have to take the chance that he or she will leave for a higher-paying job. There are many more examples. The most important rule of employment life is: get along with your boss if you want to be happy. (Kind of like "a happy wife means a happy life!")

Take it from me: there are lots of ways in which the person who controls the budget can be an absolute PITA. What lunches will we consider to be business lunches for which we'll reimburse? How much will we reimburse, and for what items? What hotels can you stay at and can you order room service, and what can you order? What receipts do you have to show? (Rutgers drove faculty -- and even deans -- crazy with this.) Will we raise the pay of your administrative assistant if you want us to, or will you have to take the chance that he or she will leave for a higher-paying job. There are many more examples. The most important rule of employment life is: get along with your boss if you want to be happy. (Kind of like "a happy wife means a happy life!")
Very Good points/examples…we’re both in academia it seems. but I believe the leverage here and now is absolute. I’d agree with you if 1-2 years left on the contract, not 5. Amicably agree to disagree.

Very Good points/examples…we’re both in academia it seems. but I believe the leverage here and now is absolute. I’d agree with you if 1-2 years left on the contract, not 5. Amicably agree to disagree.
Yes, we can amicably agree to disagree. But my academic (and non-academic) experience is that not listening to higher-ups can get one into big trouble, no matter one's rank or job security.

Of course it’s generally a good idea to be on good terms with superiors. But power comes in many shapes and sizes. Schiano holds all the cards:
1. the contract
2. Big donor support
3. Hobbs hired him, poor optics if Hobbs cuts bait
4. Schiano’s personality
5. Holloway’s backing (see donor support).

Only thing which would be on Hobbs’ side is lagging ticket revenue (if that were to occur), but even that doesn’t matter much any more with conference broadcast revenues being so high in relation to ticket sales.

Last edited:
You’re in academia? Where do you teach/study?

Not really a joke coach, but you need to get your licks in to support your narrative.
He gets blown out almost every conference game. His teams play uninspired and penalty laden. No one fears a Greg Schiano team. You can put that in whatever bucket you want. To me he’s a joke coach.

If GS gets a promotion, it’ll be from a different AD at a different school. Nothing higher than HC in football.
Texas A&M went to Jimbo Fisher and told him the entire offense is changing and he’s not going to be involved including who the new OC is.

Schiano would be very fortunate if that happened to him.

Reactions: jtung230
The defense isn’t bad. If the offense were as good as the defense right now we’d all be ecstatic.
The defense statistically gave up the second most TD’s of any P5 team this year (only behind BC). People got this idea the defense was good in October, than didn’t watch the rest of the season…. We just gave up 37 to Maryland

Texas A&M went to Jimbo Fisher and told him the entire offense is changing and he’s not going to be involved including who the new OC is.

Where did you see that ? Who would choose the OC ?

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Other schools would not have demanded that a mediocre 0.500 coach that never won a conference championship, and walked out right before signing day, be hired for a second stint.
He started out 12-34 after inheriting a dumpster fire. After that he went 56-33 his first go round. That .500 record sure doesnt look so bad all things considered.
Rutgers Football plays its home games in "SHI Stadium," and that should be enough evidence to expose all of the reasons why Schiano isn't going anywhere, and why Rutgers's prospects wouldn't improve if he did.

Or, if you prefer, "Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey," is named after a Dutchman who gave the school a bell and the interest (but not the principal) from a $5K bond.

In both cases, it's not so much that the named benefactor gave so little, it's that literally no one else was willing to offer more -- let alone dozens (or thousands) of benefactors of that magnitude.

It's in the state's DNA.
Yikes! Congrats on some of the biggest stretches that I dont think anyone has ever tried before. The 5k bond donation was an epic fail though. 5k in 1825 would equate to 150k today adjusted for inflation. We need some Colonel Rutgers donors for the football program.

So RU lost 11 players for the season due to injuries (including best RB). The
QB position is a major weakness with a 19 yr old rookie, designated-savior playing one of toughest conferences.
Now I never liked Greg's beans-n-franks offenses, but no OC could come to RU and work miracles.
A good OC wouldn't even be interested in RU
Money talks and gives us a glimmer of a chance. Getting someone here will be a big challenge though. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say not finding the right OC AND/OR not allowing a competent OC to have full control will set this program back further than Greg remaining as HC.

Yes, but TAM has unlimited budget and will hire the best. GS would sign up for that. Not sure the same applies at RU.

Other Big 10 teams wouldn’t allow their fanbase to dictate their hires…. But of course, enough STH’s threatened to leave if Greg wasn’t re-hired so Hobbs acquiesced…. And yea, as someone who hated the hire from jump street I’m fuming at our fans for forcing this!

Seriously, to all of you who wouldn’t shut up 3 years ago hiring Greg back. A profound and sincere ‘f*ck you’ from me to you…. It was OBVIOUS the hire would not work, it was simply appeasing fans who can get past watching old YouTube clips of 06’ Louisville.

We did this to ourselves, and the worst part is the AD didn’t want this, it was our idiot fans who threatened to boycott that put us in this position…

Way to go fans!!!

Other Big 10 teams wouldn’t allow their fanbase to dictate their hires…. But of course, enough STH’s threatened to leave if Greg wasn’t re-hired so Hobbs acquiesced…. And yea, as someone who hated the hire from jump street I’m fuming at our fans for forcing this!

Seriously, to all of you who wouldn’t shut up 3 years ago hiring Greg back. A profound and sincere ‘f*ck you’ from me to you…. It was OBVIOUS the hire would not work, it was simply appeasing fans who can get past watching old YouTube clips of 06’ Louisville.

We did this to ourselves, and the worst part is the AD didn’t want this, it was our idiot fans who threatened to boycott that put us in this position…

Way to go fans!!!
One other school did. Otherwise, GS wouldn’t be here.

Reactions: Doctor Worm

Way to go fans!!!
It happened at Utah State and maybe one other which I can't remember. Utah State boosters forced their AD to hire back Gary Andersen when the AD wasn't all too enthused about it and it didn't end up working out (shocker after what he did at Oregon St) and he lasted just a little over 1 season.

Way to go fans!!!
I wasn't enthused about the GS hire for exactly what's happening now....I wanted strong offense because I think that's the avenue with the most potential. I haven't been enthused with any of the last a few hires but I'm always hopeful that things can work cause you never know.

Nonetheless, in hindsight I think GS' hire needed to happen (not the 8 year deal though). He'd be a shadow hanging over the fanbase and other coaches (who may or may not have worked). You give GS his shot and if it works great and if it doesn't GS is out of the system having had his shot and the fanbase can move forward without any "what ifs" on their mind.

Last edited:

Let's role play;

Hobbs answer from me: We are hiring Joe Blow to be your OC and run a modern spread offense. He will have authority to hire and fire offensive coaches as he sees fit. He will call plays from the booth and your microphone will be turned off during offensive series. Any disagreements between you two will be settled by me.

I'd love to see the look on his face but yeah I know, not allowed per the contract.

Different scenario. Tennessee was saying ‘anyone but him’. Rurgers fans were saying ‘no one but him’
it’s always a little different for you. It’ll be interesting to see how PrimeTime do at Colorado if he accepts the job.

This

ADVERTISEMENT