ADVERTISEMENT

What would other big ten teams do?

billhilf

Sophomore
Oct 19, 2007
Englishtown
I know I’m going to get killed for this post, so I will try to preface it with some things. I understand that Rutgers is stuck right now considering Schianos contract, and the financial situation we are in. However, I also understand that only a blind optimist would think we are heading in the right direction. There are no signs of improvement, and clearly this is the worst year of Schiano 2.0, all with mostly his recruits and his culture completely in the system.

So with all that in mind, I wanted to throw out a hypothetical? What would other big ten teams do right now? Is there any other team besides rutgers who wouldn’t fire schiano after this season? Obviously the top guys would, not worth discussing that. So let’s think of the tier 2 and below teams. Michigan state? I think Yes. Maryland? Yes. Indiana? Maybe not, but I lean towards yes here. Obviously the big guys in the west would (Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska). Minnesota? Yes I believe So. Illinois? Based on recent years I’d say yes. Northwestern? Maybe not, but at worst 50-50.

So that’s two teams that MAYBE wouldn’t fire schiano in this situation. If we ever want to be serious about football, we should follow what the others in our league would do and make tough but necessary decisions. Unfortunately, I know It is very unlikely we won’t.

And this is not an ego thing, I loved the schiano hire. Now I’m admitting it failed.

What does everyone think?

I know I’m going to get killed for this post, so I will try to preface it with some things. I understand that Rutgers is stuck right now considering Schianos contract, and the financial situation we are in. However, I also understand that only a blind optimist would think we are heading in the right direction. There are no signs of improvement, and clearly this is the worst year of Schiano 2.0, all with mostly his recruits and his culture completely in the system.

So with all that in mind, I wanted to throw out a hypothetical? What would other big ten teams do right now? Is there any other team besides rutgers who wouldn’t fire schiano after this season? Obviously the top guys would, not worth discussing that. So let’s think of the tier 2 and below teams. Michigan state? I think Yes. Maryland? Yes. Indiana? Maybe not, but I lean towards yes here. Obviously the big guys in the west would (Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska). Minnesota? Yes I believe So. Illinois? Based on recent years I’d say yes. Northwestern? Maybe not, but at worst 50-50.

So that’s two teams that MAYBE wouldn’t fire schiano in this situation. If we ever want to be serious about football, we should follow what the others in our league would do and make tough but necessary decisions. Unfortunately, I know It is very unlikely we won’t.

And this is not an ego thing, I loved the schiano hire. Now I’m admitting it failed.

What does everyone think?
Rutgers Football plays its home games in "SHI Stadium," and that should be enough evidence to expose all of the reasons why Schiano isn't going anywhere, and why Rutgers's prospects wouldn't improve if he did.

Or, if you prefer, "Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey," is named after a Dutchman who gave the school a bell and the interest (but not the principal) from a $5K bond.

In both cases, it's not so much that the named benefactor gave so little, it's that literally no one else was willing to offer more -- let alone dozens (or thousands) of benefactors of that magnitude.

It's in the state's DNA.

Rutgers Football plays its home games in "SHI Stadium," and that should be enough evidence to expose all of the reasons why Schiano isn't going anywhere, and why Rutgers's prospects wouldn't improve if he did.

Or, if you prefer, "Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey," is named after a Dutchman who gave the school a bell and the interest (but not the principal) from a $5K bond.

In both cases, it's not so much that the named benefactor gave so little, it's that literally no one else was willing to offer more -- let alone dozens (or thousands) of benefactors of that magnitude.

It's in the state's DNA.
Actually, it's not true that he donated only the interest In addition, he was not a "Dutchman" -- both his parents and grandparents were born in the American colonies. For more on this, see https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/did-henry-rutgers-get-the-deal-of-lifetime.46727/

Schiano gets more time but needs to be given 1.3 for an OC and whatever that guy needs for a staff.
Don't know how much power Hobbs has over Greg, but he should demand that Greg stay out of the offense and let the OC run it with no meddling.
He has 2 years left IMO. If we don't go bowling in 2024 he gets canned by an AD that would be happy to do it.
Seems about right. The funny/not so funny thing is Greg set the bar low for next year with such a crappy year this year. But minimum should be 6 wins and 3 B1G wins next year with no excuses.

As far as what other B1G Teams would do?

Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin would fire him tomorrow.

Michigan State and Minnesota would give him another year.

Indiana, Northwestern and Iowa would extend him. 😜

Nebraska is interesting - they gave Frost a long leash, into year 5 before firing him.

I'd be OK with him getting fired mid year 5 if he continues under 500.

I have no insight into what kind of relationship GS and Hobbs have; I suspect it’s not fantastic. That will be an interesting season recap discussion between the two. You’d think Hobbs has leverage after the way this season unfolded and will lean on Greg to a) hire a modern OC & staff and b) stay out of the offense. But we all know how Greg is, so we’ll see…….

I have no insight into what kind of relationship GS and Hobbs have; I suspect it’s not fantastic. That will be an interesting season recap discussion between the two. You’d think Hobbs has leverage after the way this season unfolded and will lean on Greg to a) hire a modern OC & staff and b) stay out of the offense. But we all know how Greg is, so we’ll see…….
Isn’t Gleeson that hire?

Reactions: megadrone
Isn’t Gleeson that hire?
We all had hoped so, but I think it’s likely two things are true. 1) Gleeson didn’t work out and 2) GS meddled too much in the offense and a conservative overall coaching style. Back to the drawing board with a different OC and a more forceful message from Hobbs to Schiano. What else can we do?

No one talks about our defense, although we lost five games by more than four touchdowns and gave up more than fifty points twice (and gave up 49 points once). Yes, I understand that our offense gives the other team touchdowns or a short field on turnovers, and that our failure to move the ball means that the defense has to play a lot and gets exhausted. (Today Maryland ran 88 plays to our 49.) Still, we are giving up scores on long drives early in games. I know one issue is an undersized defensive line;. What else is holding our defense back? Is GS living up to his reputation as an expert on the defensive side of the ball.

Don't know how much power Hobbs has over Greg, but he should demand that Greg stay out of the offense and let the OC run it with no meddling.

Seems about right. The funny/not so funny thing is Greg set the bar low for next year with such a crappy year this year. But minimum should be 6 wins and 3 B1G wins next year with no excuses.

As far as what other B1G Teams would do?

Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin would fire him tomorrow.

Michigan State and Minnesota would give him another year.

Indiana, Northwestern and Iowa would extend him. 😜

Nebraska is interesting - they gave Frost a long leash, into year 5 before firing him.

I'd be OK with him getting fired mid year 5 if he continues under 500.
As long as Greg operates within NCAA regulations and University policy, I doubt that Hobbs can demand anything. Hobbs can fire him, but it wouldn't be for cause, I don't think.

Reactions: Knightmoves
We all had hoped so, but I think it’s likely two things are true. 1) Gleeson didn’t work out and 2) GS meddled too much in the offense and a conservative overall coaching style. Back to the drawing board with a different OC and a more forceful message from Hobbs to Schiano. What else can we do?
I think Gleeson went all-in on Vederal. He got hurt and there was no plan B.

Reactions: Jimpeg
Every team except Northwestern would made a move already. Unless it was their "Greg Schiano." (Every school probably has an equivalent somewhere in their history). That makes it more difficult.

At least that's how it looks from the outside...

As long as Greg operates within NCAA regulations and University policy, Hobbs can't demand a damn thing. Hobbs can fire him, but it wouldn't be for cause.
Hobbs is the boss, isn't he?
He can demand, but failure to adhere to a demand may not be cause for firing. But he can certainly push for changes in the operation, unless Greg has some special contract?

Edit- was looking for a Kyle Flood pic for another thread, and came across this--Julie telling Kyle what kind of offense to run? 😜

kyle-flood-julie-hermannjpg-ec48d70977debd50.jpg

Forceful message ? Hobbs can’t do or say a thing because of the contract. What, is he going to revoke the fraud’s parking pass ?

Gleeson had 1 year as a P5 coordinator under an offensive head coach. The system was already in place. They backed the truck up too early on that hire.
IDK, we were all super happy after yr 1. Most wanted him as HC in waiting.

He can demand, but failure to adhere to a demand may not be cause for firing. But he can certainly push for changes in the operation, unless Greg has some special contract?
If the demand is unenforceable, it isn't much of a demand, no?

Let's role play;

HOBBS: Greg, we really need to upgrade the OC position. Let's put together a list of realistic candidates.

SCHIANO: No need. I've made my decision. Nunzio's my guy.

HOBBS: ?????

IDK, we were all super happy after yr 1. Most wanted him as HC in waiting.
I’m sure there were some but you see how that ended. What saved gleeson that first year was no film. His offense has been predictable from day one. Only real movement that first year came on gimmick plays.

If the demand is unenforceable, it isn't much of a demand, no?

Let's role play;

HOBBS: Greg, we really need to upgrade the OC position. Let's put together a list of realistic candidates.

SCHIANO: No need. I've made my decision. Nunzio's my guy.

HOBBS: ?????
Let's role play:

Your boss walks in and asks you if you can help out on a new project, because he thinks it is important to the success of the mission of the organization.

You going to flat out say no? Good luck when you need something from the boss or he has to make a decision on your promotion or layoff.

Schiano would be unwise to respond as you have suggested, but it would not surprise me. Some fans think Hobbs is naive on football and stay out of it, but anybody can see that the offense has been a colossal failure for 3 years. A smart and humble man would take the advice of the boss.

Edit- was looking for a Kyle Flood pic for another thread, and came across this--Julie telling Kyle what kind of offense to run? 😜

kyle-flood-julie-hermannjpg-ec48d70977debd50.jpg
Hobbs doesnt have a FB background and I have a hard time thinking that he can put any real pressure on Greg to change his ways as the HC. But if donors go to Hobbs and demand changes then I can see Hobbs relaying those messages to him.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT