ADVERTISEMENT

What would other big ten teams do?

He has 2 years left IMO. If we don't go bowling in 2024 he gets canned by an AD that would be happy to do it.
Greg is not getting fired.....unless you have some spare money for a buyout.

Our defense was good enough this year to win 6 or 7 games this year with an average QB.

It's tough for a defense when your offense cannot move the ball and the QB cannot complete basic passes and turns the ball over near the red zone.

Remember, the schedule for Rutgers will get easier in 2024 without the existing Big Ten East Division games.

anyone sniffing around Mike Houston?
Well. He just led ECU to another winning season, now his second straight bowl game in year 4 inheriting a team that went a combined 9-27 the 3 seasons prior to his hire never winning more than 3 games.

ECU just dropped 49 on Temple… we barely made it to 16.

Maybe it’s that you just wanna disagree with me, but find me another affordable coach wjth 20 years of continuous HEAD COACHING experience who has turned around 4 different programs advancing levels each step along the way…

I’m all ears if you can find me another coach to fit that description.

Though the fact that Colorado might hire prime tells me we absolutely could if we had the balls to go after it. But like the story of Rutgers… we seem to always be late to the party.

Well. He just led ECU to another winning season, now his second straight bowl game in year 4 inheriting a team that went a combined 9-27 the 3 seasons prior to his hire never winning more than 3 games.

ECU just dropped 49 on Temple… we barely made it to 16.

Maybe it’s that you just wanna disagree with me, but find me another affordable coach wjth 20 years of continuous HEAD COACHING experience who has turned around 4 different programs advancing levels each step along the way…

I’m all ears if you can find me another coach to fit that description.

Though the fact that Colorado might hire prime tells me we absolutely could if we had the balls to go after it. But like the story of Rutgers… we seem to always be late to the party.
ECU also gave up 46 to Temple. I am so ready for the PrimeTime show. Affordable coach that no body wants isn’t that great of an option.

Greg is not getting fired.....unless you have some spare money for a buyout.

Our defense was good enough this year to win 6 or 7 games this year with an average QB.

It's tough for a defense when your offense cannot move the ball and the QB cannot complete basic passes and turns the ball over near the red zone.

Remember, the schedule for Rutgers will get easier in 2024 without the existing Big Ten East Division games.
False. What was our record this year against the West, even playing two programs at their lowest points ? Rearranging or eliminating divisions doesn’t change the fact that there will be perpetual bottom feeders. And with Schiano, guess who that will be.

The defense statistically gave up the second most TD’s of any P5 team this year (only behind BC). People got this idea the defense was good in October, than didn’t watch the rest of the season…. We just gave up 37 to Maryland
The Maryland game is not yet included here (and I didn't watch it, so I don't know how much of the defensive performance can be placed on the offense) but

when actually adjusting for field position, turnovers, opponent quality, etc. the defense was ranked #43 through 11 games. I doubt the Maryland game pushes us worse than 50th. I'm not saying that's some amazing, great defense but it is perfectly fine. And that doesn't adjust for additional factors that the bad offense causes such as the defense being super tired and loss of motivation from offensive futility.

There has been clear progress on the defense.

Reactions: koleszar
The Maryland game is not yet included here (and I didn't watch it, so I don't know how much of the defensive performance can be placed on the offense) but

when actually adjusting for field position, turnovers, opponent quality, etc. the defense was ranked #43 through 11 games. I doubt the Maryland game pushes us worse than 50th. I'm not saying that's some amazing, great defense but it is perfectly fine. And that doesn't adjust for additional factors that the bad offense causes such as the defense being super tired and loss of motivation from offensive futility.

There has been clear progress on the defense.
The Maryland game was a hot mess, 37-0 is really all that needs to be said.

You can twist it however you like, Rutgers statistically gave up the second most TD’s of any P5 team in the country this season. That’s terrible, point blank it’s terrible.

There’s very little to point to next year to indicate a jump in wins, it sucks but it’s true. Getting blown out 37-0 to Maryland to end the season, Greg pounding that ‘this team will be better in november’ when in reality since Oct 29 we went 0-5 and were out scored by our opponents 202-48…

The entire team f*cking sucks. Greg has not improved anything since ash. Hate to say it but we’re back to Ash level bad

You can twist it however you like, Rutgers statistically gave up the second most TD’s of any P5 team in the country this season. That’s terrible, point blank it’s terrible.

There’s very little to point to next year to indicate a jump in wins, it sucks but it’s true. Getting blown out 37-0 to Maryland to end the season, Greg pounding that ‘this team will be better in november’ when in reality since Oct 29 we went 0-5 and were out scored by our opponents 202-48…

The entire team f*cking sucks. Greg has not improved anything since ash. Hate to say it but we’re back to Ash level bad
This team is better than ash teams. But still sucks. Schiano is gonna get into 2024 at the earliest.

Basically tell Schiano to hire a legit veteran innovative modern OC and let him work. If it fails again, Greg is out next year.
Something like this

the AD had to lean on Greg a bit to make a big OC hire and let that guy run it

Other schools would not have demanded that a mediocre 0.500 coach that never won a conference championship, and walked out right before signing day, be hired for a second stint.
We are in this situation because Greg left 10 years ago, simple as that. The state of the program is on him.

it’s always a little different for you. It’ll be interesting to see how PrimeTime do at Colorado if he accepts the job.
It will be interesting to see if his better players at Jackson State follow him. Some of them are studs.

You are the one doing the twisting. Even Massey Ratings, which rates offense and defense based entirely on points scored (and thus gives the defense completely blame for all the things the offense did to **** them over) has us 65th in defense. That's basically the floor for actual quality of the defense.

You are the one doing the twisting. Even Massey Ratings, which rates offense and defense based entirely on points scored (and thus gives the defense completely blame for all the things the offense did to **** them over) has us 65th in defense. That's basically the floor for actual quality of the defense.
And you think 65th is good enough for our ‘prized’ unit? For context, there are 70 P5 teams plus Norte dame…. 65 sucks, it’s not good enough, nothing besides the punter on this team is good enough. 37-0 to Maryland to end the season 3 years in is an incompetent head coach. Simply incompetent.

Think about this… Mike locksley just beat schiano 37-0 with the same level recruits

No one talks about our defense, although we lost five games by more than four touchdowns and gave up more than fifty points twice (and gave up 49 points once). Yes, I understand that our offense gives the other team touchdowns or a short field on turnovers, and that our failure to move the ball means that the defense has to play a lot and gets exhausted. (Today Maryland ran 88 plays to our 49.) Still, we are giving up scores on long drives early in games. I know one issue is an undersized defensive line;. What else is holding our defense back? Is GS living up to his reputation as an expert on the defensive side of the ball.
Having a LB core of exactly two because everyone else got hurt. They were trying to cover up a massive hole and couldn't go with anything but a 4-2-5 as their base defense. The defense should be much better next year and B1G competitive, if the offense can even muster below average.

Last edited:
Reactions: retired711
And you think 65th is good enough for our ‘prized’ unit? For context, there are 70 P5 teams plus Norte dame…. 65 sucks, it’s not good enough, nothing besides the punter on this team is good enough. 37-0 to Maryland to end the season 3 years in is an incompetent head coach. Simply incompetent.

Think about this… Mike locksley just beat schiano 37-0 with the same level recruits
First, I don't think 65th is correct as explained in the post. 65th is a floor. 65th puts a lot of the offensive incompetence on the defense. Properly adjusted, the defense is in the 40th-50th range. That still doesn't include less tangible ways that the absolutely terrible offense hurts the defense. On a team with an average offense our defense is probably ~40th best.

Is that good enough long term? No.
Is that perfectly good progress given the starting point? Yes.
Is the defense the problem, or even really a problem at this point? No.

Look, the team was terrible this year. There's nothing necessarily inherently better about being historically terrible on offense and decent on defense as opposed to just being a normal level of bad at both. But it is the situation we are in.

I've said earlier this year when we were talking about defense that I wasn't sure that the defense was as good as the rankings but not bad either. It just needs to be mediocre imo. 65 is okay. I've said on a very basic level give me a strong offense and mediocre defense and you have a chance to make some noise.

If you look TCU, Tenn, USC, WF last year and others over time like OU/Baylor in the past... their defenses ranked anywhere from 40-90 when looking at scoring/total defense. A top notch offense can possibly cover even for a bad defense but if you have a mediocre defense to go with that offense you can do some things. So 65 IMO is good enough provided the offense is very productive.

Having a LB core of exactly two because everyone else got hurt. They were trying to cover up a massive hole and couldn't go with anything but a 4-2-5 as their base defense. The defense should be much better next year and B1G competitive, if the offense can even muster below average.
Thanks! I had wondered what the issues were. I do recall injuries among our linebackers but didn't know it became such a bad problem.

False. What was our record this year against the West, even playing two programs at their lowest points ? Rearranging or eliminating divisions doesn’t change the fact that there will be perpetual bottom feeders. And with Schiano, guess who that will be.

And don’t think for a minute we won’t be playing USC and UCLA in the same year so they can push the game in the NY market - so we won’t get any breaks there either.

You know there is some truth to lack of divisions helping us but as one other poster pointed out, we're winless against 5 B10 west teams. Rhule just got hired at Nebraska, which is a good hire on its face. Now news that Wisconsin is targeting Fickell at Cincy. UCLA (we'll see how they do after DTR) and specifically USC are the type of teams that I worry about save OSU, as in they're high powered consistent offensive teams.

So like I say, things don't operate in a vacuum. Teams get better, worse and stay the same. That goes for us and goes for others. So don't just assume it all goes in one direction for us, it can go in any direction.

We are in this situation because Greg left 10 years ago, simple as that. The state of the program is on him.
No we're in this situation because Pernetti panicked and promoted Flood after being unable to land Cristobal, apparently the only other serious candidate at the time. Maybe due to budget constraints or professional blunder, but if we made a good hire back then Schiano would've been just a name from our past.

Then Hobbs compounded things with the mistake hiring of Ash.

Reactions: Plum Street
No we're in this situation because Pernetti panicked and promoted Flood after being unable to land Cristobal, apparently the only other serious candidate at the time. Maybe due to budget constraints or professional blunder, but if we made a good hire back then Schiano would've been just a name from our past.

Pernetti would’ve had more candidates if this had happened in November/ December, not in February.

Reactions: drewbagel423
Why would Greg Schiano be hired by an NFL team in November or December?
Pernetti by his own admission knew he got the hire wrong and was not prepared for the search.
Speaking from Pernetti’s POV in that he would’ve had a hell of a lot more options in November/ December than he had when Schiano bailed out on Rutgers at literally the last minute.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker

Except Hobbs did not "hire" Ash. He was served up and ready to go when Hobbs got his job.

Speaking from Pernetti’s POV in that he would’ve had a hell of a lot more options in November/ December than he had when Schiano bailed out on Rutgers at literally the last minute.
I mean sure, it would’ve been better if it happened in November or December but it just seems odd to write it because there’s basically no way what happened was ever happening in November or December.

Herman knew Flood was not going to take the next step either. But she got overextended and lost all confidence of the administration and boosters.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewbagel423
Schiano screwed him, big time.
Not only did he screw him by leaving so late in the game. But then he came back 2-3 times and gutted the staff. I still believe hiring the assistants was intentional to knee cap the program because there is no other explanation for the actions. I know the excuse no NFL guys would work for him but come most of those guys would never get an nfl interview otherwise.

You'll rename the entire university after someone for $150K? Thanks for making my point.
Number one, you made it sound like he threw a few quarters on the sidewalk to get his name on the school. Number two, I never said anything about anybody deserving a right to have his name put on a school. I said we need Colonel Rutgers donors for the football team. And number three, please refer to @retired711 who responded to you and related the donation relative to the GNP. If that is in fact true, thanks for unmaking your point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT