ADVERTISEMENT

What'a Happened to Gleeson?

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
His first year here he showed a huge amount of creativity and ran a somewhat unpredictable offense. He was a wunderkind who this board was crying to do whatever it took to keep him. Now most posters want to run him out of town.
Has GS beaten him over the head so much with his conservative offensive philosophy that he's withdrawn into a shell? If true wouldn't you want to leave and go someplace where you could do your thing? Which one is the real Shawn Gleeson? The one who use to use throwback passes and double reverses or the run up the middle twice and throw a wide receiver screen we see now?
My hope is that we're holding back things to use in conference play. I realize that's naive but who knows?

Reactions: tico brown
Why hasn't any reporter asked Schiano this? The trick plays are gone. It's one of the only things that worked in year one. The offense looked tighter then too. Less dropped.passes, penalties, everything was better in year 1.

We lose two conference games that we could have won due to turnovers. But you still have morons on this board who think we should open up the offense more which would result in more turnovers.
Also do people realize that we're playing with a third string QB? Six months ago if you asked the question who would have the most snaps at QB half way through the season I would bet my paycheck that less than 5% of the vote would be Simon.
The most important thing that we've learned is that he's not going to be our QB going forward.
If healthy, play Noah as much as possible and hopefully Gavin heals and we can get him some valuable experience so he steps in next year.

He is trying too hard now. The lack of a good OL and a consistent QB are making him panic.

If we played schiano ball yesterday we win. Two sacks cost us 6 points and throwing the ball gave up more.
I agree. I said to our group last year. His first year he seemed relaxed and in control. The last 2 years he seems stressed and always pressing. Like he is in a constant state of panic.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Depends on how he is able to self scout himself and his offensive staff.

I am in the mindset of staffs growing and improving over time. I do not know enough about how they decide, implement, and critique their own game plans to say if he should be fired yet.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I agree. I said to our group last year. His first year he seemed relaxed and in control. The last 2 years he seems stressed and always pressing. Like he is in a constant state of panic.
My favorite thing about him year one was everything seemed to be called for a reason. I could see the forest through the trees in his play designs. I do not see that consistently now.

Like I said above, I can not fully critique because I do not see the inner workings of the offensive staff.

We only see the result and not the hours of practice, prep, and film.

I have had great preps and game plans that fall to pieces because of execution, but that being said I would love to see his second and third plans, his exit strategies, his adjustment plans etc.

Reactions: Kbee3
We lose two conference games that we could have won due to turnovers. But you still have morons on this board who think we should open up the offense more which would result in more turnovers.
Also do people realize that we're playing with a third string QB? Six months ago if you asked the question who would have the most snaps at QB half way through the season I would bet my paycheck that less than 5% of the vote would be Simon.
The most important thing that we've learned is that he's not going to be our QB going forward.
If healthy, play Noah as much as possible and hopefully Gavin heals and we can get him some valuable experience so he steps in next year.
Swap Noah and Gavin in your last sentence and I agree. IMO, getting Gavin reps is more important than this season's WL record.

My favorite thing about him year one was everything seemed to be called for a reason. I could see the forest through the trees in his play designs. I do not see that consistently now.

Like I said above, I can not fully critique because I do not see the inner workings of the offensive staff.

I have had great preps and game plans that fall to pieces because of execution, but that being said I would love to see his second and third plans, his exit strategies, his adjustment plans etc.
Do you have any other examples or reference points where a team frequently substitutes the QB (both between offensive series and within a single series) and other personnel? That is a common complaint amongst fans here, and admittedly, maybe we are off base on that? Does that contribute to the false starts and miscues? Also, with respect to Simon, it does not seem to give him a chance to develop a flow or read the defense pre snap. He throws some ill-advised passes and has other issues, but he really has not had many reps (except for Iowa), and considering he was under pressure the entire game, that may be understandable.

Interesting perspective, thanks. Do you believe Schiano's conservative philosophy has gradually become more and more influential in the past couple years in Gleeson's play designs and playcalling?

Again I agree. With the call progression on year 1 you could see the reasoning behind a play call even if it wasn’t successful. There was a reason for specific formations and play calls even with less talent in the system. Now it seems like it is all spit balling and panic.
The pace at which the O is playing. The delay in getting the plays in. It’s like he is calling each play on an island rather than there being a progression. Leads me to believe he has lost his confidence.

Interesting perspective, thanks. Do you believe Schiano's conservative philosophy has gradually become more and more influential in the past couple years in Gleeson's play designs and playcalling?
I do not think it is about schiano. If it was about schiano we would have run the ball when we were in Fg range and not taken the sacks. I think we win the game if we play schiano ball.

Again I agree. With the call progression on year 1 you could see the reasoning behind a play call even if it wasn’t successful. There was a reason for specific formations and play calls even with less talent in the system. Now it seems like it is all spit balling and panic.
The pace at which the O is playing. The delay in getting the plays in. It’s like he is calling each play on an island rather than there being a progression. Leads me to believe he has lost his confidence.
I would for sure agree with you both. It was not a question of talent. He was working with less, so someone is driving this train and it is not him. As much as people want him gone he may want to leave as much as we want him gone and he is just finishing out the season. He ran some great O and now his play calling has been relegated to basically 10 plays.

Do you have any other examples or reference points where a team frequently substitutes the QB (both between offensive series and within a single series) and other personnel? That is a common complaint amongst fans here, and admittedly, maybe we are off base on that? Does that contribute to the false starts and miscues? Also, with respect to Simon, it does not seem to give him a chance to develop a flow or read the defense pre snap. He throws some ill-advised passes and has other issues, but he really has not had many reps (except for Iowa), and considering he was under pressure the entire game, that may be understandable.
So I do not care about rotating QBs. To me it is all about what happens in practice vs games. I agree that being in a game longer helps you get the rhythm of the game, but I am all about practice reps.

I am always going to argue that reps are for practice. RBs do pre snap reads for runs, pass blocking, route running etc and most teams play 2-3 RBs.

So I do not care about rotating QBs. To me it is all about what happens in practice vs games. I agree that being in a game longer helps you get the rhythm of the game, but I am all about practice reps.

I am always going to argue that reps are for practice. RBs do pre snap reads for runs, pass blocking, route running etc and most teams play 2-3 RBs.

Regarding practice reps:

Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume the QBs are also rotating reps in practice and training camp with the 1st team offense?

As such, any potential practice development is also being shortchanged by having 3(4?) "1st team QBs"?

Really, what more do you need to see? Sure I can understand a great game plan failing for want of solid execution. That applies more often to a singular event, not two-three season’s worth of games. Where is there any evidence that there has been a game plan or offensive strategy that defines Gleesonball or even any progress being made? The eye test is enough and it has been ugly.

Husky….if his boss doesn’t endorse the playbook and playcalling, do you think the boss would insist on change ?

Gleeson is the puppet, Schiano the puppet master. The HC’s philosophy becomes everyone else’s. Funny how those align, huh ?

Regarding practice reps:

Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume the QBs are also rotating reps in practice and training camp with the 1st team offense?

As such, any potential practice development is also being shortchanged by having 3(4?) "1st team QBs"?
Potential. But many teams go 50/50 with the 1 and the 2 QB in practice any ways. And most practices are set up to have multiple groups going in and out all of the time. They will throw to every receive and every TE and every RB etc. etc.

Really, what more do you need to see? Sure I can understand a great game plan failing for want of solid execution. That applies more often to a singular event, not two-three season’s worth of games. Where is there any evidence that there has been a game plan or offensive strategy that defines Gleesonball or even any progress being made? The eye test is enough and it has been ugly.
I love many of the plays and systems he has run.

But much more than the eye test. What is the role of his offensive analysts and assistant in the box? What is their practice plan and scheme? What does film review of their own systems work?

There is much, much, more than the play the fan sees on the field.

To answer the OP about Gleeson. He went "Bang! Zoom!"

the honeymooners ralph kramden GIF

Colbert: I don't disagree with you but: everyone seems to agree that the OL is not very good, so I would think occasional misdirection or other "changeup" plays are necessary to quiet the DL rush a little.

Reactions: colbert17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT