ADVERTISEMENT

What'a Happened to Gleeson?

Colbert: I don't disagree with you but: everyone seems to agree that the OL is not very good, so I would think occasional misdirection or other "changeup" plays are necessary to quiet the DL rush a little
Colbert: I don't disagree with you but: everyone seems to agree that the OL is not very good, so I would think occasional misdirection or other "changeup" plays are necessary to quiet the DL rush a little.
Colbert…not necessarily true. Being predictable and conservative puts the QB in difficult passing situations both in execution and psychologicallyNot all our INTs are a result of this, but some are.

The poor QB play isn’t all the QBs’ fault.

For example, if you look at the three plays after the punt block you won’t see an honest effort on scoring a TD. It was small ball, focused on a FG try.

Being in a close game because the strict defensive, play not to lose (don’t screw up) predictable approach makes it harder for QBs to execute and be comfortable.

Last edited:
Colbert…not necessarily true. Being predictable and conservative puts the QB in difficult passing situations both in execution and psychologicallyNot all our INTs are a result of this, but some are.

The poor QB play isn’t all the QBs’ fault.

For example, if you look at the three plays after the punt block you won’t see an honest effort on scoring a TD. It was small ball, focused on a FG try.

Being in a close game because the strict defensive, play not to lose (don’t screw up) predictable approach makes it harder for QBs to execute and be comfortable.
There is something to be said about playing loose. I was reading an ESPN article the other day on impact transfers this year and one of them is Adrian Martinez now at KSU. I've not really watched them much this year but looks like he's done a solid job for them. I'm somewhat surprised at how well he's done 1/2 way through the season. 4 passing TDs no INTs (he doesn't throw a ton) and 8 rushing TDs and I don't think any fumbles. AFAIK no TOs this year by Martinez, which is amazing in itself considering how mistake prone he was at Nebraska.

There was this blurb from Klieman on him after their Tulane loss.

From the article:

After Kansas State lost to Tulane on Sept. 17, coach Chris Klieman and offensive coordinator Collin Klein met with transfer quarterback Adrian Martinez.

Their message: Let it rip.

"I don't think there was a confidence issue," Kleiman told ESPN. "We were playing really good defense early and he didn't want to put the defense in a tough spot. It was his ability to get more comfortable with what we were doing offensively and play fast, and if he makes a mistake, he makes a mistake, but do it aggressively."

Since the Tulane game, Martinez has been the quarterback Kansas State hoped he could be after a productive but turbulent four seasons at Nebraska. He has 350 pass yards, 319 rush yards and nine touchdowns (seven rush, two pass) in wins over Oklahoma and Texas Tech, propelling Kansas State to No. 20 in the AP Poll.

ADVERTISEMENT