ADVERTISEMENT

What's gone wrong, and can it be fixed? (breakdown + video)

kcg88

Heisman Winner
Aug 11, 2017
Settle in, fix a drink, cuz this one is a doozy.

Let's look at the numbers and see what Rutgers is doing well, and what they aren't:
tQiLvEM.png

Well that's not good. To quickly summarize, Rutgers' offensive numbers are only as okay as they are (#9 out 14) because they don't turn the ball over (good!) and they make three pointers. Except they attempt the lowest amount of three pointers as a percent of their total shots taken. It strikes me that this is mostly smart, because I don't think Rutgers has the personnel to be running an Iowa-esque offense and shooting a ton of shots from distance. Similarly the only bright spot on defense is that the team is generating steals and getting blocks. The rest of the game ranges from "subpar" to "horror show." Let's investigate with clips from the first half against Penn State.

Offensive Two Point Field Goal Percentage
Let's start here. Last season in conference games Rutgers ranked 6th in the conference at 47.5%. This year they've fallen to 10th at 45.8%. Not a huge difference but a meaningful one especially since, as I mentioned above, Rutgers shoots more two pointers than any other team. So they'd better make them at least an average clip. But right now, they aren't, and it's for two reasons: Taking stupid shots, and missing easy shots. The first I put on the coaching, the latter I put on the players. There's nothing to be done about Jacob Young and Montez Mathis blowing easy layups or Myles Johnson alligator-arming a putback except shake your head. But the coaching staff can absolutely drill into the players' heads to stop taking shots falling away from the basket, especially early in the shot clock. Here are clips of four separate players taking such a shot. And remember this is in one half of basketball and doesn't even encompass all of them (foreshadowing!)

Now, I'm not saying these guys can't hit these shots, because they can. In fact they made a few of them in this game, and so did Penn State. Only the very best college offenses don't take bad shots from time to time. But do you notice anything else about these four clips? The shot clock is above 15 seconds for all of them! It's one thing to try and make something work but have it well defended and resort to this kind of look as the shot clock is winding down, but when these are the looks you're getting early in the shot clock, and when it's not just one guy doing it... that tells me the coaching staff is not doing enough to discourage it. That's a big problem.

By the way, the problems at the free throw line, which I don't think I need to go over, manifest here too. I think most of the team is playing in a way to shy away from contact and avoid going to the free throw line. Note that despite taking such a big percent of our shots from inside the arc, we're 12th in the conference in terms of free throw attempts divided by field goal attempts. (Missing a zillion front ends of 1-and-1s hurts, too).

Offensive Rebounding
If there's a staple of a Steve Pikiell team, it's rebounding. Early on, offensive rebounding was clearly a huge component. Rutgers led the conference in offensive rebounding percentage in Pikiell's first year! That slipped to 4th in 2018, 5th in 2019, 7th in 2020, and now it's 9th. Now, part of this was from necessity: When the team truly couldn't throw a beach ball in the ocean it made sense to crash the offensive glass HARD and try to make up for a lack of shots going in with pure volume. As the offense improves it's okay to ease back on this on a bit because, in theory, the fewer guys you throw at the offensive boards the better you can set up your defense. But this year we're getting the worst of both worlds: the offensive rebounding is bad, but it's sure not making the defense any better.

The issue here doesn't seem to be with Myles Johnson. His offensive rebounding rate has stayed basically the same (from 14% to 13.5%, easily within the range you'd expect for a small sample size). If anything I think the issue may be an over-reliance on Myles, who is a very very good rebounder. Perhaps guys don't try as hard because they figure Myles will get it. Take this clip, which I'd originally cut because it's yet another fallaway early in the shot clock (and it's not the patented Geo stepback). But... why doesn't Caleb McConnell jump or go for this ball? There's not a white uniform around him and it bounces to his side. Rebounding isn't ENTIRELY about effort... but it's a big part!

Effort, Attitude, and Concentration
Which brings us here. Insofar as there was a Secret Sauce to what Pikiell was doing to outplay recruiting rankings, it was this. Year 1, Big Ten conference tournament, Rutgers against an Ohio State team that started the year with high hopes but ended up disappointing. Rutgers cared, Ohio State, and so despite shooting under 40% they won the game honestly kind of easily because they outworked the Buckeyes, and dominated them on the boards. This sort of game repeated itself throughout the Pikiell era. Part of the RAC advantage is that New Jersey is not the easiest place for other Big Ten teams to get to. So when they have to travel here on a random day in January or February there was always a bit of an attitude of "we don't wanna be here." And when they ran into a Rutgers team that was flying around, being physical, and in a higher gear, then they REALLY didn't want to be there. It's harder to replicate that on the road, but there were moments they did. Iowa in 2019 comes to mind.

It's a lazy trope to call out a team for effort when they lose and praise them for it when they win when in reality the difference is making shots vs. missing shots. But I think with this Rutgers team there's at least an element of truth to it. It's some combination of effort, attitude, and concentration. Here's an example on offense:

The ball goes into Cliff Omoruyi with 21 seconds on the shot clock. I feel like I can count on one hand the number of times Cliff has gotten the ball on the post and made a move for a bucket this year. It's not like we're passing it into Luka Garza and saying "hey, go to work." But no... Mulcahy sets a half-hearted screen for McConnell and then everyone just stands around. Nobody does anything... Mulcahy doesn't rotate to the corner (near where it says Bryce Jordan Center) to give Cliff an option, so I don't really blame him for taking a few dribbles and throwing one up there. This is Exhibit A for when people say Rutgers doesn't run an offense (they do... sometimes. But possessions like this are far too common). Here's another one:

There has to be some kind of recognition that what he's trying to do isn't working (credit PSU defense) so try something else. 10 seconds left on the clock is plenty of time to pull it back out and do something else. How about this possession:

Harper makes a bad pass but gets away with it, so Geo raises the stakes and does... whatever that's supposed to be. I mean they're obviously trying to run some kind of set (see, they DO run an offense) but the concentration and effort to run it even semi-cleanly are obviously not there.

Last edited:
Defense and Defensive Rebounding
And this lack of effort, attitude, and concentration has infected the defense. Rutgers is 2nd in the conference in block rate (credit Myles Johnson) but 11th in two point defense. This is incongruous. When you block 12.3% of opponent shots, they shouldn't be making so many! For reference, last season Rutgers was 2nd in block rate and... 3rd in two point defense! So what happened? Shaq Carter wasn't exactly a special rim protector. I think it comes back to these three factors. Look at Ron Harper jogging back after a turnover, while Seth Lundy sprints:

Sorry, but that's garbage. I've seen Harper get back on plays like that and make blocks before. PSU made a bad pass forward that Lundy had to twist to corral. Even if Harper goes at half speed instead of quarter speed he could've gotten in position to make a play. Since I'm beating up on Harper, why does he freeze in the lane here?

You just triple-teamed a guy, there's not going to be a lack of bodies nearby if someone tries to drive. Want another one?

What is this transition defense? Harper half-runs back and does absolutely nothing to stop the ball. Is Jacob Young calling anything out to let Harper he's behind him to bother Harrar? Is Harper saying anything to Mathis, who (credit to him) is actually running hard to get back in the play? Whatever the case, Lundy proceeds unimpeded for a simple layup. Here's another:

Why does Mulcahy just leave the ball? Like... what? Is he expecting someone to pick him up? Why or why not? Is there any talking going on?

The other big problem area is defensive rebounding. Rutgers was 4th last season, now they're 13th. With basically the same guys! What the heck! Again I'm gonna point to effort, attitude, and concentration. John Harrar leads the conference in offensive rebounding. Not Kofi Cockburn, not Trayce Jackson-Davis, not Myles Johnson, not Trevion Williams... but John Harrar. You know why? Because he plays his balls off to get in the right spot. He works hard when the opponent gets lazy. He puts his body on a body.

Here the ball goes up, Myles looks at the rim, looks at Harrar, and just kinda hangs out. Harrar has his eyes on the rim the entire time, reads the bounce, grabs it, and dishes for an easy uncontested jumper. If Myles backs his body up into Harrar then he wouldn't be able to get himself in position for the offensive rebound. One more:

Myles stands there while Harrar attacks the rim and so Myles can't grab it, he can only swat at it, and it goes back out to Penn State for another possession.

Last edited:
The embedded clips aren't working for me on my desktop browser for whatever reason. If you're getting the same issue, click the play button and then click on "YouTube" at the bottom to watch on the site before the playback error message pops up. Or try watching on your phone/tablet, it works on mobile for me.

The embedded clips aren't working for me on my desktop browser for whatever reason. If you're getting the same issue, click the play button and then click on "YouTube" at the bottom to watch on the site before the playback error message pops up. Or try watching on your phone/tablet, it works on mobile for me.
Thank for the analysis and clips showing different plays .Bottom line the team is far different at home but basically the same on the road as compared to last year.Shooting woes are more pronounced this season and the defense/rebounding aren't up to expectations.The B1G isn't a league where teams can overcome woeful shooting especially at the beginning of games.In Rutgers case the lack of consistent scoring by Harper and Baker has made Rutgers offense inept along with the lack of bench scoring.There is no quick fix for lack of scoring when the players have such difficulty making layups and foul shots

Last edited:
Sometimes when you get a lot of steals it’s a sign of a gambling lazy defense.

Great breakdown.

Honestly our only hope is that we somehow shot our way out of our funk in the second half of yesterday's game.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Excellent post .... and very discouraging. These are not problems that can be fixed this year.

Excellent job. The only thing that I would add is that in a couple of instances in the offensive clips, I think they wanted an ISO (Cliff for example) so the rest of the team cleared out.
The obvious common trait is a lack of motivation. They don't seem willing to bust it on defense, on the boards, communicating, or running the offense crisply. JY mentioned a couple of weeks ago that guys needed to trust each other, so I think team chemistry has become an issue. Geo's lack of vocal leadership may be due to his frustration with his teammates. This is all conjecture obviously. But again, great job and analysis of some of the issues.

great clips and analysis. There is no hustle and they are so out of sync in all phases of the game.
Another play that really bothered me towards the end of the game, Cliff boxes out his guy and the ball bounces between him and Geo. Geo just stood there and watched PSU come in and take the ball. WTH?

Reactions: RUBlackout
Excellent job. The only thing that I would add is that in a couple of instances in the offensive clips, I think they wanted an ISO (Cliff for example) so the rest of the team cleared out.
The obvious common trait is a lack of motivation. They don't seem willing to bust it on defense, on the boards, communicating, or running the offense crisply. JY mentioned a couple of weeks ago that guys needed to trust each other, so I think team chemistry has become an issue. Geo's lack of vocal leadership may be due to his frustration with his teammates. This is all conjecture obviously. But again, great job and analysis of some of the issues.
A lot of offensive woes can come down to lack of execution/laziness. It’s not just defense

Excellent post .... and very discouraging. These are not problems that can be fixed this year.

It *can* be fixed but it's extremely troubling that they looked THAT bad coming off a four-game losing streak. They're just about out of time to fix it.

Sometimes when you get a lot of steals it’s a sign of a gambling lazy defense.

I think this is exactly right, and it shows up in our high foul rate too. If we don't get the steal then we're out of position and can't defend without fouling.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
great clips and analysis. There is no hustle and they are so out of sync in all phases of the game.
Another play that really bothered me towards the end of the game, Cliff boxes out his guy and the ball bounces between him and Geo. Geo just stood there and watched PSU come in and take the ball. WTH?

I didn't even have the heart to go back through the second half, plus there were enough examples of what I needed in the first half alone. But you're right, outside of a seven minute stretch it was more of the same.

Boxing out and effort (Getting back on defense, lazy passes) crashing the boards on offense more certainly can and SHOULD be fixed this year! Play the players that will...

Reactions: blueoyster
Wow, thank you for an extraordinarily informative post.

I know it's not something you can coach or game plan around. But watching us the last few games I wondered what is the stat for number of missed shots that where launched within two few of the hoop, touched the rim, and failed to go in.

I know our issues are bigger, and more than, that.

Thanks again for a post that really taught me something.

Great post. There is only one part I disagree with:

"they make three pointers. Except they attempt the lowest amount of three pointers as a percent of their total shots taken. It strikes me that this is mostly smart, because I don't think Rutgers has the personnel to be running an Iowa-esque offense and shooting a ton of shots from distance."

We pass up too many open threes. The only time any of our players with even a reasonable 3-point shot (does Baker count?? he's at like 28% for the last two years lol) should pass up an open three is if they have a completely clear path to an easy layup or it's a clock chewing situation.

Every time I see someone pass up a good three early in the clock only to force up something terrible later I want to claw my eyes out. Just take the shot!

"they make three pointers. Except they attempt the lowest amount of three pointers as a percent of their total shots taken. It strikes me that this is mostly smart, because I don't think Rutgers has the personnel to be running an Iowa-esque offense and shooting a ton of shots from distance."

We pass up too many open threes. The only time any of our players with even a reasonable 3-point shot (does Baker count?? he's at like 28% for the last two years lol) should pass up an open three is if they have a completely clear path to an easy layup or it's a clock chewing situation.

Every time I see someone pass up a good three early in the clock only to force up something terrible later I want to claw my eyes out. Just take the shot!

Yeah, we should be taking more for sure. Not that we're the Houston Rockets but we shouldn't be last in the conference considering it's the only thing that's been working.

Harper not even a token effort when lundy drove unimpeded. As I watched that live, I couldn't believe my eyes. I don't want him to pick up a foul but at least show some defense. Is harper hurt and or gassed?

Geo and harper don't look good on defense.

We have to get back to only playing the guys that play defense and rebound.

At this point, I'm not sure what geo offers offensively and defensively. I'd bet his catch and shoot 3 % is under 15%, perhaps under 10%(He's 21% overall).

This is the most important point in a nutshell. We should take every open 3 that is there. Nate Oats, the new Alabama coach used to be a math teacher and he gets crazy when his guys do not take an open 3. He always says that 3 is greater than 2(last I checked that is correct). Unless there is an opening to get any easy layup, he always wants his team to take open 3's.

What good is it to NOT take an open 3 point shot and then dribble into the defenders to have contested 2 point shots? That does not make any sense at all, yet we see it over and over. TAKE THE OPEN 3 POINT SHOT! Even though our guys are not great shooters, the chances of making an OPEN 3 point shot is way higher than a contested 2 point shot and IT COUNTS FOR 3 POINTS!!!!!

Best of Luck,
Groz

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Man
That’s absurd, sir.
How much shorter can it get? Eight guys play meaningful minutes regularly. Must keep Cliff and Myles in there. So who would you sit? Caleb? Geo? I would rather see us go to nine or 10 if they PLAY HARD while in than drop to six or seven. I liked the full hockey line change as a way to send a message: hustle or sit.

Reactions: RUonBrain
How much shorter can it get? Eight guys play meaningful minutes regularly. Must keep Cliff and Myles in there. So who would you sit? Caleb? Geo? I would rather see us go to nine or 10 if they PLAY HARD while in than drop to six or seven. I liked the full hockey line change as a way to send a message: hustle or sit.

Young 35
Harper 35
Mathis 30
Myles 28
Geo 22
Mulcahy 18
Cliff 12-17
McConnell 6-15

Increase Geo/Paul/McConnell to get to 200 depending on matchup/play. If you can squeak a couple more out of the top 4 even better.

I didn't even have the heart to go back through the second half, plus there were enough examples of what I needed in the first half alone. But you're right, outside of a seven minute stretch it was more of the same.
KCG, excellent analysis and examples. In my criticisms yesterday we said some of the same things, but I chose not to mention who the culprits were in "dogging it" on defense. Well, since you brought it up, and it's very clear who it is or are, Pikiell's no dummy. He watches film all of the time. If I were him in the next game, no matter how well or not well we're doing if someone stands around on defense, doesn't help, doesn't block out, and doesn't hustle, sit their a$$es down. There is NO REASON for being outhustled, outrebounded, and lack of help defense. Those were and should be the cornerstone of a Pikiell team.

It boggles my mind that Pike and the coaches are not chewing them out. If these kids can't motivate themselves without having 8,000 screaming adoring fans, then they need to sit and watch.

This $hit show we've been watching started with the first OSU game. The entire team needs to wake the eff up including the coaching staff and play as if your job or position is on the line. It's time to represent the school and each other. Show some damn pride. In this losing streak they go out there as if they know they're going to fail. I just don't get it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the chemistry of this team right now stinks. I don't know if it's inhouse fighting, pouting or lack of minutes, but ever since McConnell came back everything seems really off. And I write this not as a criticism of Caleb. I write this because something mental and emotional has been going on and the team has lost everything they worked so hard for over the summer and the first 8 games. And frankly, I don't know if they can get it back this season.

That’s absurd, sir.

There's 30 RU games of evidence last year that playing more guys, keeps the amount of minutes lower....there's a stark drop-off in how efficient and effective you are, once you exceed a certain amount of minutes per game.....especially in a high contact more physical conference like the B1G.

The lack of effort is because our bench minutes and production is down from last year.....I don't need a ton of video to see that 8 games of playing 33 to 34 minutes, full speed, where you need hustle plays to win, isn't sustainable over 30 games.

There's a reason why Caleb was going to redshirt and now he is not.

There's a 99.9% likelihood that as soon as Pike secured the commitment of Jaden Jones last winter, that there was a discussion of reclassification to come in early or at mid-season.

The inability to have Mag, Palmquist and Cliff not being healthy, is a huge drop off of bench players vs last year of Caleb, Mulcahy, Shaq Carter/Myles Johnson and Jacob Young.

Last year ended with Shaq Carter starting at the 5, to keep Myles out of foul trouble and keep Myles minutes and efficiency up...it also buys the staff 3 extra minutes per half, that you don't have to force feed Myles....he's not as efficient once you start asking him to get past 22 to 23 minutes....rebounds don't happen as much etc.

Last year we had Yeboah for 24 minutes a game. No one as of now, has filled that key role. If you are asking Mulcahy or Caleb to fill it, neither is where Yeboah was at 10PPG and in that role of 3 point shooting and Defense guy.

Cliff should be in the Shaq Carter role ending last year as a starter (16 to 20 minutes a game).

Harper, Mathis, Caleb or Mulcahy and Baker are your starters.

Bench/energy and productivity off the bench has to be Myles Johnson, Jacob Young, Mulcahy and Jaden Jones. There's no indication that Mag/Palmquist or Reiber are ready to play minutes or provide the shooting or playmaking Jones can. And if Palmquist/Mag are not locked in on defense, neither will Jones be early on in his minutes as well.

It's about how big is the drop-off from starting to bench from last year to this year......last year, it was minimal, this year it is much more noticeable or drastic.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Yeah so eliminate the bench as much as you can. But also, Geo is giving nothing so adjust there as well.

Prior to Cliff getting hurt he was starting every game. Since we changes that it has been all downhill.

start Cliff going forward at least are part one

I agree totally with starting Cliff. However, Johnson needs to finish by playing at least the last 5 minutes of the game. Pike was late to insert him back against Iowa (when we didn’t even have Cliff) and I believe it cost us that game. He was late against Penn State and a few other times as well.

The embedded clips are working for me and I'm worse off for it. Seriously though, great posts. Definitely hitting on some of the really head-scratching things we see.

They are problems that CAN be fixed overnight if the kids make the effort. The biggest problem with rebounding both on offense and defensive is 4 guys hanging out around the ark on the shot. Most of the time they are backing out or heading down court on offense as the shot is bouncing off the rim. I lost count of how many times that one of our shooters could have got the rebound on one of his own missed shots if he followed the shot. There are a lot of long rebound attempts that our guys are just not in position to go after because they are running down the court or just hanging out past the arc. Every team that we have been playing has 4 guys in or near the paint when they miss at their end. We usually have one or 2. To many times one or 2 of our guys are pealing out down court for breaks that don't come because we do not get the rebound

Reactions: RUonBrain
Prior to Cliff getting hurt he was starting every game. Since we changes that it has been all downhill.

start Cliff going forward at least are part one
Cliff has not been good at either end of the floor since he came back. He is out of control or stumbles over his own feet on lob passes. He gets too deep too much too. He is a little spastic on D especially when he is chasing someone out top. He does not recover to his own man, and he was the cause of us having to have guys flying all over the place to try to cover wide open guys. Hw was twice involved with the play that saw 3 RU guys going after one PSU player on the perimeter. He destroys the flow of the D and the O when he is in. He needs to stop demanding the ball the way he does.

Dead on. The passed up 3 point attempt is probably a better percentage shot than the contested off balance or rushed 2. I yell at the TV all the time about that.

There are times that Harpers man is in his stance 2 or 3 feet off of him when he is outside the arc. He was sticking shots on the defenders with that much room before he got hurt. I have not seen him attempt that since he came back from injury. He has a quick and high enough release point that he should be taking that shot when he has a chance. Especially when the team is struggling to find points

Last edited:
Ruman,

where do you have evidence he isn’t chewing them out?
To answer your question, I'm basing my "evidence" on circumstantial evidence although I have talked with someone close to the team and let's just say, Pike is a very nice guy and wants everyone to buy into his "plan." All I'll say is if he really is "chewing" out players, then we would have seen a reversal in play over this 5 game losing streak and losing 6 out of 7.

I am not going to go beyond what I've just said, especially here on this board.

One example I will use: some of our so-called "stars" have continued to dog it on defense, and it's been obvious as to why our rebounding has been down and our defense has allowed too much second chance scoring by the opponent. If Pike is unwilling to get into those individuals faces and sit them, then I think the assistant coaches should do more of it.

Personally, I don't care what the excuse is. There is something off with the players and the coaches that started right after the first OSU game. That's all I'll say about it.

Reactions: AD888 and RUonBrain

Agreed

Taking the least amount of 3s per game isn’t “smart”.
It’s bad offensive philosophy and it’s been said for years.

I would guess part of Pikes game plan is don’t take an early 3, keep working to get a “closer shot”.
It’s on the staff not the players.

Look at our 3s per game rankings under Pike.

Big Ten Conference games only:
16-17: 14th
17-18: 14th
18-19: 13th
19-20: 13th
20-21: 13th

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/rutgers/2021.html

To answer your question, I'm basing my "evidence" on circumstantial evidence although I have talked with someone close to the team and let's just say, Pike is a very nice guy and wants everyone to buy into his "plan." All I'll say is if he really is "chewing" out players, then we would have seen a reversal in play over this 5 game losing streak and losing 6 out of 7.

I am not going to go beyond what I've just said, especially here on this board.

One example I will use: some of our so-called "stars" have continued to dog it on defense, and it's been obvious as to why our rebounding has been down and our defense has allowed too much second chance scoring by the opponent. If Pike is unwilling to get into those individuals faces and sit them, then I think the assistant coaches should do more of it.

Personally, I don't care what the excuse is. There is something off with the players and the coaches that started right after the first OSU game. That's all I'll say about it.
It’s going to be sit over get in their faces.

definitely there is a crossroad with Pike and getting his team to play hard. Add to that his captains being guilty parties and not guys to get others in line.

he had similar issues when his captain was Freeman and he was the guy guilty of hogging the ball and not playing his hardest every possession.

his stick is playing time. He should and has used it. The question is at what lengths.

yelling at kids doesn’t get effort. Taking playing time works better

Reactions: RU MAN and hiwater
They are problems that CAN be fixed overnight if the kids make the effort. The biggest problem with rebounding both on offense and defensive is 4 guys hanging out around the ark on the shot. Most of the time they are backing out or heading down court on offense as the shot is bouncing off the rim. I lost count of how many times that one of our shooters could have got the rebound on one of his own missed shots if he followed the shot. There are a lot of long rebound attempts that our guys are just not in position to go after because they are running down the court or just hanging out past the arc. Every team that we have been playing has 4 guys in or near the paint when they miss at their end. We usually have one or 2. To many times one or 2 of our guys are pealing out down court for breaks that don't come because we do not get the rebound
It’s not the shooter’s responsibility to “follow his shot”. This is a common misconception among fans who have not played much basketball. I hear people yell it all the time at the RAC. Rather, an outside shooter virtually always should be the first person back on D. As a matter of balance and form and thus accuracy it very difficult to have proper form and follow through and then follow your shot. If you see a jump shooter follow his shot it is either because he has bricked it badly and knows that immediately or the ball has bounced long in his direction. Put backs from in close are a different story.

Having said that, we definitely have a rebounding problem. My frustration comes when we don’t box out.

Reactions: RUinOhio
ADVERTISEMENT