ADVERTISEMENT

What's gone wrong, and can it be fixed? (breakdown + video)

Great post as I finally took the time to watch.
Most of it is shocking.
Basketball basics
Getting back on D
Stop the ball
Box out
Movement off the ball
tighter cuts off a pick
Hustle
I can hear my HS coach yelling about all of these
I can't believe that a team this talented seems to care so little

I haven't had the time to go fully through and make clips from the Indiana game but just about everything I posted here was better against the Hoosiers. It's damn near impossible to win a road game in the Big Ten when your opponent shoots 62% on three pointers. The defense inside the arc and the rebounding effort were much much better.

Now Indiana's offense is pretty bad, so there's still a lot to work on. But unlike against Penn State and Ohio State and Michigan State I felt like the effort was there all game long. Gotta take that same energy into MSU tomorrow.

It’s not the shooter’s responsibility to “follow his shot”. This is a common misconception among fans who have not played much basketball. I hear people yell it all the time at the RAC. Rather, an outside shooter virtually always should be the first person back on D. As a matter of balance and form and thus accuracy it very difficult to have proper form and follow through and then follow your shot. If you see a jump shooter follow his shot it is either because he has bricked it badly and knows that immediately or the ball has bounced long in his direction. Put backs from in close are a different story.

Having said that, we definitely have a rebounding problem. My frustration comes when we don’t box out.

agree with this totally. As a shooter, I always think my shot is going in. Confidence is so important. Players that are focused on following shot are generally the bricklayers.

agree with this totally. As a shooter, I always think my shot is going in. Confidence is so important. Players that are focused on following shot are generally the bricklayers.
And as the shooter you are supposed to rotate back because you are often in the best position to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT