ADVERTISEMENT

What's more important to recruits - NIL Money or Winning Team ?

RUNYGDVLSFAN

Junior
Oct 13, 2014
Always been told that players will come if you win.... but now being told players will come if there is NIL money....
So.... which is it, cause some teams have money and just don't win championships.

Regulation has to come in some format, as this will cripple more than half of the Div 1 Football teams.

Scholarship reductions years ago, lent to the beginning of "some" parity, but any ground that was gained, has been lost. T-A&M will buy anyone they can, but never win the big one.

Reactions: TM94goRU
I think if you ask some athletes, they may rank playing time ahead of NIL or winning. But obviously, they want all 3 to the fullest extent possible.

I wouldn't be so quick to say TAMU will never win the big one. If they get all the top ranked players throughout the country, they will have coaches that can get them to win. It sucks for everyone else but this is the new reality.

Different kids have different needs and motivations. A kid from an impoverished family might need to choose the best NIL deal. A kid from a well-to-do family might choose the program that gives him the best coaching and college experience.

Not “or”…. The top prospects want to win “AND” get NIL deals. Only a handful of schools can provide this. Look at the list of national champions for the past two decades. That’s the list. For every other kid, it will come down to their personal financial situation and whether they are willing to delay instant gratification for a payoff down the road. A real life marshmallow experiment.

No doubt varies by the kid. The most highly recruited athletes, of course, will want both. Kids who doubt their ability to get into the NFL but might make some money off of NIL for a year or two will go for the cash. Kids with little prospects of NIL money or the NFL will want to win.

I think todays top athletes mostly come up through a process of cherrypicking winning programs to be a part of. So I say winning comes first for most... but then within the realm of winning programs.. whoever pays the most or wins the most. This year, those who pick Georgia want a ring badly. In past years that might have been Bama or Clemson... to some extent big name stars might be the draw.. like maybe.. young Arch Manning going to Texas will attract WRs and TEs.. and they dish out the $$$$ as well. Win/Win.

Last edited:
Your not making the argument you think you are.

"NIL is bad because players will pick a school with less history. Non blue-blood schools can win recruiting battles with money alone."

That's exactly why NIL actually creates the opportunity for a level playing field.

What exactly is the Rutgets response to OSU, ND, UM, Georgia, Bama in a non-NIL world?
We don't have one - as seen the last 20 years.
They hold all the cards "wins, history, championships". We literally can't get those cards. But we could hypothetically get NIL $ and win a recruiting battles (see Texas A&M)

Always been told that players will come if you win.... but now being told players will come if there is NIL money....
So.... which is it, cause some teams have money and just don't win championships.

Regulation has to come in some format, as this will cripple more than half of the Div 1 Football teams.

Scholarship reductions years ago, lent to the beginning of "some" parity, but any ground that was gained, has been lost. T-A&M will buy anyone they can, but never win the big one.
85 man limit helps parity still. So many good players at certain teams that end up elsewhere and do great. The top teams will have the most depth and sustained success but that has always been the case.

You seem hilariously clueless…

There was a Rivals article the other week that had anonymous responses from recruits about NIL. They were literally saying they’d pass up their dream school for NIL.
There dream school will quickly become whatever school pays the $s. But it is not just the recruit making the decisions, in the case of the 4 and 5 star recruits you could be talking about life changing money for an entire family.

"NIL is bad because players will pick a school with less history. Non blue-blood schools can win recruiting battles with money alone."

That's exactly why NIL actually creates the opportunity for a level playing field.

85 man limit helps parity still. ...
Well.. before NIL.. the money was all illegal and that required risk on both sides to be exposed and damaged... though it was rare that there was a penalty of any note. But that meant that most players didn't get bribed and that made early playing time or less talent to beat out for a position somewhat appealing and shared the talent.

And NIL does not actually level the playing field.. it reward those schools that have the money to throw around because it is harder to get the money to pay talent than it is to get the talent where other things are more paramount... coaches/facilities/playing time/academics.

So combine these two subjects I think you'll see highly paid players deep on benches for the big name / big money schools. Players who, before NIL, might have chosen a different school.

Did someone say that Texas ATM will not win no matter what their payroll for recruits?

It’s no different than your job. If someone offered you more money there is a point most people will choose the money. For some it could be $1 dollar others may not compromise at all. Everyone is different.

Reactions: Scarlet83
How long until we start seeing the stories where teh NIL money RUINED the kid?

It happens to NFL, NBA.. examples in all sports... heck.. the nerd who made and sold Minecraft for over $2B to Microsoft felt like he ruined his life (from his palace on the beach). I suppose they will have to balance those stories with the examples of athletes getting their families out of poverty, paying for grandma's surgery.. donating to charity..

Reactions: NickRU714
Your not making the argument you think you are.

What exactly is the Rutgets response to OSU, ND, UM, Georgia, Bama in a non-NIL world?
We don't have one - as seen the last 20 years.
They hold all the cards "wins, history, championships". We literally can't get those cards. But we could hypothetically get NIL $ and win a recruiting battles (see Texas A&M)

How do you figure we get NIL money? The school has a long history of crappy financial supporting alum. Now that will be magnified.

I mean I get you are saying we haven't competed in wins and facilities so maybe NIL - but the reality is this won't be an opportunity for anything but to fall further behind.

I guess you'll see the occasional giant NIL one off deal like the Dion Sanders deal. But isn't that just money again, but in a different way.

I just don't see based on our history how the NIL helps. I see how it could but in reality it won't.

I think todays top athletes mostly come up through a process of cherrypicking winning programs to be a part of. So I say winning comes first for most... but then within the realm of winning programs.. whoever pays the most or wins the most. This year, those who pick Georgia want a ring badly. In past years that might have been Bama or Clemson... to some extent big name stars might be the draw.. like maybe.. young Arch Manning going to Texas will attract WRs and TEs.. and they dish out the $$$$ as well. Win/Win.
As the money grab continues, so will the change towards "show me the money". Texas A&M is the first domino o fall towards total lunacy in "collegiate" sports.
That’s the misunderstanding, it’s not like back in the day where you get paid for no show jobs.

The student athlete would have to provide some sort of service and exchange for money or goods.

Everything’s authorized through the Compliance office to make sure it’s legal, and then the athletes are also advised on tax implications etc.
One of the only good things IMO about the NIL. People need to be accountable and pay taxes. Of course, this will get abused soon enough...somehow.
85 man limit helps parity still. So many good players at certain teams that end up elsewhere and do great. The top teams will have the most depth and sustained success but that has always been the case.
85? Rosters are set at 105, aren't they? With NIL everyone of the 105 can be "compensated " for their NIL. The top teams will have even more depth than you cited. That means less scraps for those below the top tier. How many 4* in this years recruiting class? I'll give you a hint, it rhymes with Nero.

It is all about the money now, any player that does something different from this is an outlier, nothing more! I read GS's comments, and it mirrored what I have posted on the topic.

This thing they mistakenly call NIL is still in it's infancy. It will get much worse. The likely scenarios while intriguing to a point, will be cringworthy. The money and gifts give you only a chance, you still have to hit on, and keep stud players. Every rules change has made it easier for the rise of super teams. While in theory this will open the chances for rich non traditional programs to win huge, it is still unlikely because there is a history at this level of upstarts being shutdown!

So I think within a generation we will see approximately 30 to 50 programs eliminated or at a lower level, quite possibly more. I know some pretty lady athletes that like to post online in bikinis, doing gymnastics or exercise make a lot of money. However, that is not most of them, and when you consider the PSU started Union demands, I still see this causing lawsuits from women's teams that feel short changed! Argument being you make more than us because your team gets more coverage. Among other arguments. Not to mention the rift between programs at a school, because it will be even more a cut throat game of we need more money, not an athletic department financing the schools programs! Camaraderie be damned, in the near future!

The money is just a chance to be good. You will see some programs that are going for it now, not win and get discouraged, to go along with the upstarts that annoy rich blue bloods and get shutdown.

Maybe in time there is a draft, at least one for every conference. Sadly I see this just going the way of most Soccer leagues in the 🇺🇸. Now some will survive, and in time the NFL may very well have to start a minor league. It saddens me, but I think the giant flush of college sports has just begun!

Last edited:
Being on a winning team and getting NIL largely go together. The better the team, the more well-known an athelete becomes, nd therefore the most NIL you'll get. It's not an accident that the athlete who started the law suits was a member of UCLA's national championship men's basketball team. The winning teams also tend to have the most boosters. OTOH, "the best things in life are free/ but you can leave them for the birds and bees"; need I quote the rest?

There was a Rivals article the other week that had anonymous responses from recruits about NIL. They were literally saying they’d pass up their dream school for NIL.
No such thing as dream school anymore its all NIL NOW

85? Rosters are set at 105, aren't they? With NIL everyone of the 105 can be "compensated " for their NIL. The top teams will have even more depth than you cited. That means less scraps for those below the top tier. How many 4* in this years recruiting class? I'll give you a hint, it rhymes with Nero.
Geez.. had not even considered that.. good point. A return to the days where some programs benches could compete for a playoff spot like in the pre 85-schollie limit days.

How about this angle... at schools like Texas ATM.. when the coaches do not win it all.. FIRED.. they have no more excuses. Then when they try for a job at a school that doesn't buy their players they will have to answer questions about their recruiting abilities.

No such thing as dream school anymore its all NIL NOW

Isn’t that a good thing?
How many times did “dream school” Rutgers get us picked over ND, OSU, UM or PSU?
More often it was the other way around and we never had a chance.

Don’t care if you grew up “dreaming of PSU”, now a better NIL (perhaps from Rutgers) could sway a recruit.

All this talk about NIL and we totally forget these kids are getting into college for free. I really hope the focus doesnt shift away from academics. Paying a kid $100k to come to a school to play football is one thing. Getting a degree for free and making $100k a year out of school is way more valuable IMO. But these kids are shown bags of money that is so hard to turn down in the short term, that the long term may become out of focus.

In other words free education is probably worth more in the long term than the majority of NIL deals these kids are going to get. With the exception of the high 6 figure, 7 figure offers.

NIL has to come with mandatory financial classes, career planning education. The majority of these kids are not going pro. After 4 years of school there's not going to be anymore NIL for you, so you better have done well in school.

Reactions: retired711
Isn’t that a good thing?
How many times did “dream school” Rutgers get us picked over ND, OSU, UM or PSU?
More often it was the other way around and we never had a chance.

Don’t care if you grew up “dreaming of PSU”, now a better NIL (perhaps from Rutgers) could sway a recruit.
I’m looking at it from a student point of view. It’s awesome to grow up dreaming of a college you want to go to .

Geez.. had not even considered that.. good point. A return to the days where some programs benches could compete for a playoff spot like in the pre 85-schollie limit days.

How about this angle... at schools like Texas ATM.. when the coaches do not win it all.. FIRED.. they have no more excuses. Then when they try for a job at a school that doesn't buy their players they will have to answer questions about their recruiting abilities.
It’s a mess

Reactions: RUScrew85
I’m looking at it from a student point of view. It’s awesome to grow up dreaming of a college you want to go to .

It is.
And how many times does a student turn down their “dream school” for Alabama or Ohio State?
“I know I got offers from Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State but I grew up near Syracuse and it’s been my dream school since I was a kid.”

Isn’t it convenient that the “dream school” is usually also the best athletic opportunity as well?

Same goes for the old “hardship waiver” excuse.
Every transfer looking for a hardship waiver also transferred to a better program near their home.

If winning team mattered so much, most players would go to Bama every year

ADVERTISEMENT