ADVERTISEMENT

What's the future for Rutgers Athletics? AD Pat Hobbs goes to work on strategic plan

Does it include annual games at Yankee stadium, Citi field, and met life!?! You know...cause you gotta own that NYC market!;)

Does it include annual games at Yankee stadium, Citi field, and met life!?! You know...cause you gotta own that NYC market!;)

you-can-t-handle-the-truth-o.gif

Reactions: anon_ivydyf0amkzay
"What was surprising to me about it, the number of people who came up to me after the full-staff meeting and said they were genuinely excited about a strategic planning process,'' Hobbs said. "Which is sort of remarkable because I've done them before and never had even one person come up to me at the end of the announcement that they were excited about it.''

This says it all. People in the Athletic Department have desperatley wanted/needed to be pointed in some sort of direction.

"What was surprising to me about it, the number of people who came up to me after the full-staff meeting and said they were genuinely excited about a strategic planning process,'' Hobbs said. "Which is sort of remarkable because I've done them before and never had even one person come up to me at the end of the announcement that they were excited about it.''

This says it all. People in the Athletic Department have desperately wanted/needed to be pointed in some sort of direction.
"Golly gee guys, they really like me!"

Before I get lumped in as a Juliet, I know for a fact things like this were being discussed.

Reactions: bac2therac

Before I get lumped in as a Juliet, I know for a fact things like this were being discussed.

Maybe they didn't like the messenger from the previous AD dept ?

There is a difference between hearing and working on something and believing in it. His point was they could have started this 12 months ago, and probably people in the department would have said the right things and supported it, but would they have genuinely believed that the plan would ever happen. By proving himself, there is more actual buy in by the staff.

I'm sure many of us have experience with multiple bosses. There might be one guy or gal that has a track record of doing what they say, and you get excited when they lay out a plan.

Another you nod your head yes and smile, walk out of the room and know what was just said isn't ever happening

Reactions: koleszar
I'm sure many of us have experience with multiple bosses. There might be one guy or gal that has a track record of doing what they say, and you get excited when they lay out a plan.

Another you nod your head yes and smile, walk out of the room and know what was just said isn't ever happening

That's why I think it's imperative for him to get shovels in the ground on that practice facility as soon as funding is secured. Like you say people follow those who DO what they say they're going to do. Get that project started and people will now see tangible results that they can get behind.

No longer will the AD position be looked upon as a position of just talk and drawing pretty pictures. Not only will the AD staff get behind him, but fans as well. A sense of pride and accomplishment will behold all. Fans will open their wallets even more if they finally see results, instead of years of ineptitude. Accomplish that and this master plan will be well received by all. Fall short and it will just be the Same Old Rutgers.

Last edited:
That's why I think it's imperative for him to get shovels in the ground on that practice facility as soon as funding is secured. Like you say people follow those who DO what they say their going to do. Get that project started and people will now see tangible results that they can get behind.

No longer will the AD position be looked at as a position of just talk and drawing pretty pictures. Not only will the AD staff get behind him, but fans as well. A sense of pride and accomplishment will behold all. Fans will open their wallets even more if they finally see results, instead of years of ineptitude. Accomplish that and this master plan will be well received by all. Fall short and it will just be the Same Old Rutgers.
The hoops practice facility is already in architectural planning phase. Blue prints are drawn and I'm sure site work will begin soon.

There is a difference between hearing and working on something and believing in it. His point was they could have started this 12 months ago, and probably people in the department would have said the right things and supported it, but would they have genuinely believed that the plan would ever happen. By proving himself, there is more actual buy in by the staff.

What has he proven yet?

He's slick and I'm on board but there is still some Harold Hill stuff going on IMO.

That's why I think it's imperative for him to get shovels in the ground on that practice facility as soon as funding is secured. Like you say people follow those who DO what they say their going to do. Get that project started and people will now see tangible results that they can get behind.

No longer will the AD position be looked at as a position of just talk and drawing pretty pictures. Not only will the AD staff get behind him, but fans as well. A sense of pride and accomplishment will behold all. Fans will open their wallets even more if they finally see results, instead of years of ineptitude. Accomplish that and this master plan will be well received by all. Fall short and it will just be the Same Old Rutgers.
Yes.

Reactions: bac2therac

This is exactly my first thought when I saw the topic.

There is NO FREAKIN WAY that a strategic plan for a major college football team includes taking home games and playing them off campus. PERIOD. Conversely, the plan must include making those special and unique home games played on a beautiful campus with awesome tailgating also on campus, and making them even better. We have a monopoly on experiencing big time college football within a 150 miles radius in one of the most populated and wealthy spots on earth. Make those 6-7 home games at Rutgers Stadium on our beautiful campus THE place to be on Saturday's every fall.

It is that simple.

Last edited:
What has he proven yet?

He's slick and I'm on board but there is still some Harold Hill stuff going on IMO.

Yes.

I disagree that there is Harold Hill stuff going on. Hobbs is much more of a smooth talker than Hermann (that is certainly comparing one of Hobbs' strengths to Hermann's greatest weakness), but that doesn't make him Harold Hill. Calling him Harold Hill implies that he is a conman making empty promises with no intent to back them up.

Hobbs has been in the job for less than 6 months. That is way too soon to see any of the results of anything he has done. But he does have some accomplishments. He has hired a football coach and fired and hired a basketball coach. Without any games played yet, we don't really know if the new coaches will be successful, but on paper both of Hobbs' hires seem much better than the last two hires made by an AD (Flood and Rice). He has also made enough strides in facilities funding that Rutgers has committed to moving forward with the basketball facility.

As far as Hobbs' strategic plan, we'll have to see it to determine if it is a different type of plan than the plans put in place by Hermann, Pernetti, or Mulcahy. From the article, it sounds like this is a comprehensive plan which will be far more substantial and complete than what we've seen from past ADs.

I disagree that there is Harold Hill stuff going on. Hobbs is much more of a smooth talker than Hermann (that is certainly comparing one of Hobbs' strengths to Hermann's greatest weakness), but that doesn't make him Harold Hill. Calling him Harold Hill implies that he is a conman making empty promises with no intent to back them up.
I think we all realize he has some politician in him and even Mr. Hill was "cured" in the end. ;)

Hobbs has been in the job for less than 6 months. That is way too soon to see any of the results of anything he has done. But he does have some accomplishments. He has hired a football coach and fired and hired a basketball coach. Without any games played yet, we don't really know if the new coaches will be successful, but on paper both of Hobbs' hires seem much better than the last two hires made by an AD (Flood and Rice). He has also made enough strides in facilities funding that Rutgers has committed to moving forward with the basketball facility
My point with the wait and see attitude. And while strides are nice, shovels in the ground are better.

As far as Hobbs' strategic plan, we'll have to see it to determine if it is a different type of plan than the plans put in place by Hermann, Pernetti, or Mulcahy. From the article, it sounds like this is a comprehensive plan which will be far more substantial and complete than what we've seen from past ADs.
Well I was just a little annoyed that there are some who think this kind of thing had never happened before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT