ADVERTISEMENT

What's up with Brower Commons?

RobertG

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
My Daughter says it's horrible and they go to Livingston to eat?

Reactions: asgot
My Daughter says it's horrible and they go to Livingston to eat?
It was bad when I was a student in the late 2000s. It can't be any better now. Hopefully the new College Ave dining hall starts being built so they can knock down that monstrosity.

One of the best things about moving off campus was never having to see the inside of Brower Commons again.

I was surprised by the original post because I thought Brower's food had always been terrible, and that everybody knew it. And, as @bac2therac indicates, the building is horrible -- Rutgers architecture at its worst.

Reactions: bac2therac
Why is Livingston so much better? Different vendors?

I went to Rutgers in early 2010s and loved Brower. Yes Livingston has better food but Brower has a much better vibe

It sucked when I was there too in the 00's

It was bad when I was a student in the late 2000s. It can't be any better now. Hopefully the new College Ave dining hall starts being built so they can knock down that monstrosity.

I was there same period and I thought they "fancified" Brower since and brought it in line w/ Busch and Nielsen (which were the two best at that time). Literally walking back to my car yesterday I heard a student call Busch Dining Hall "so nice in there."

Its an embarrassing structure
That's the danger of using fad architectural design. Sadly, RU hasn't learned this lesson. Some of the more recent buildings are going to look like S in the coming years as well.

Why is Livingston so much better? Different vendors?
Better\newer tech for serving\keeping food fresh.
That's the danger of using fad architectural design. Sadly, RU hasn't learned this lesson. Some of the more recent buildings are going to look like S in the coming years as well.
Most of the newer stuff is pretty decent. Brower isn't, imo, horrible, but it lacks natural light compared to the other dining halls. Could be worse. Could be Brutalism. Brower is only brutalism on the inside, which isn't as bad.
We landed on the moon!
Yes.

Busch dining hall was the place to go in the early 2000s.

funny that Livingston is now the place when it was the worst back then

Reactions: Scangg
We landed on the moon!
jim carrey disbelief GIF

Reactions: GORU2014
Brower is like 30 years overdue for a renovation and refresh. Kind of a joke the university hasn’t significantly updated that place 2-3x over the same time span that 0 renovations have occurred.

King Neptune night at Brower should have been renamed Colon Masochism Night.

King Neptune Night was awesome — one of the only nights of the year people liked eating at Brower.

Sounds like you were unlucky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT