ADVERTISEMENT

When the sports illustrated cover meant something?

Crimedog2

Junior
Dec 19, 2010
I remember when it used to mean somethinng. My old man used to subscribe, and it would usually arrive on a Thursday or Friday . Sometimes Saturday. My friends used to talk each week about who/what was on the cover . You can probably guess my age : I remember a young mike Tyson on the cover and an old Everson walls waving Norwood's field goal right . I still have a box of si's somewhere in my basement . Thanks dad .

I remember a young mike Tyson on the cover and an old Everson walls waving Norwood's field goal right . I still have a box of si's somewhere in my basement .
Me too. Loved when it arrived! Have 3 boxes in my house including the ones you mentioned!

What did we do prior to the internet?

Ashley... Montana... boobies

Back in the day.....SI covered the sports, that would normally get only scant coverage in newspapers, extremely well. Boxing, track & field, horse racing, car racing and golf were written with all the story lines and drama. The Thrilla in Manila was one of my favorites with Frazier quote, "lawdy lawdy lawdy I hit with punches that would bring down the walls of a city, he's a great champ" !

No, the horse video killed the radio star. The Buggles sang about it in the 1980s. And RU Athletics killed the horse video. But everything that dies some day comes back. . . . . .

I got the original title wrong anyway, lol. Correct one from first episode of MTV is :

Video Killed the Radio Star.

Two words: Cheryl. Tiegs.

Also Kathy Ireland !!

PS- Rick Reilly was their terrific back page column writer for many years, after he retired they never found a real good replacement. Dan Patrick I think did ok for a while, but the internet , more than anything else, changed the hard copy magazine industry.
Heck, even Playboy stopped publishing their hard paper magazines.

Sports Illustrated is not a great magazine anymore. It is like 1/3 as many pages as it used to be. Many of the in depth stories are covered on TV by ESPN and other news sources. I actually like the Showtime show - 60 Minutes of Sports.

Sports Illustrated is not a great magazine anymore. It is like 1/3 as many pages as it used to be. Many of the in depth stories are covered on TV by ESPN and other news sources. I actually like the Showtime show - 60 Minutes of Sports.

Yes , I think it's not a good magazine anymore . I let my suscription expire about 3 years ago. Same with the newspapers I used to get delivered .

Also Kathy Ireland !!

YkZCTnV2UU02VVkx_o_family-guy---im-out-under-the-table.jpg

Are they all swim suit editions?

I wonder if that would be an option for them.

They have the Swimsuit edition and the Bodies edition.

Maybe they need to highlight a male and female athlete each month for a photo shoot.

Also Kathy Ireland !!

PS- Rick Reilly was their terrific back page column writer for many years, after he retired they never found a real good replacement. Dan Patrick I think did ok for a while, but the internet , more than anything else, changed the hard copy magazine industry.
Actually, I thought Steve Rushin was a considerable upgrade from Rick Reilly.

I always preferred Sport Magazine to Sports Illustrated. Sport Magazine went much more in-depth; Sports Illustrated always struck me as an exercise in photojournalism rather than coverage. I did subscribe to SI for a few years recently, and it didn't seem to be adding anything to my knowledge.

I subscribed to SI from approx. 1971 until late 90's? Have to check the boxes in the attic to get exact dates. It used to have great writers and in depth pieces. Like others said above, I used to read it cover to cover. (ok, the swimsuit editions were studied even more thoroughly) I never cared about golf or fishing or track, but the articles were usually very good regardless of the sport. The magazine started going downhill a long time ago and gradually became a piece of garbage with lots of short blurbs instead of articles. (I'm sure some idiots in marketing and research told the editors that is what they needed to keep kids interested) It's a shame

I always preferred Sport Magazine to Sports Illustrated. Sport Magazine went much more in-depth; Sports Illustrated always struck me as an exercise in photojournalism rather than coverage. I did subscribe to SI for a few years recently, and it didn't seem to be adding anything to my knowledge.
By the time you subscribed to SI, it was garbage. Totally disagree about Sport Magazine. It did not hold a candle to SI when they were both in their prime

I still subscribe and enjoy it every week. For any Rutgers fans still getting SI, you can see a double-page photo of Mohamed Sanu on pages 6-7 of this weeks SI, arrived today

I remember saving the issue from when McGwire broke the home run record. I was so disappointed to find out he was a cheater though.

The Curious Case of Sidd Finch

"The Amazin' Mets became even more so in the spring of 1985 when Sports Illustrated profiled their latest phenom: Sidd Finch, a Harvard dropout who spoke 10 languages, played the French horn, wore one hiking boot-and threw 168 mph."

Last edited:

This cover of Sport Magazine really got puberty underway for me.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/03/12/32CB9F5700000578-3521249-image-a-20_1459684169655.jpg

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Anyone remember The National? Was a daily sports newspaper in the early 90s. I basically read it cover to cover in my engineering lectures freshman year.

Reactions: JhnTay144
ADVERTISEMENT