ADVERTISEMENT

When to stop recruiting a player?

Mr_Twister

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2004
See linked article "Son of longtime Warsaw residents gets offer from University Miami". That son is a South Jersey athlete. The article includes calling Miami "the prestigious private college". Also includes "It's really unbelievable to us-it's like a dream," Angela (player's Mom) said. "It's a dream come true-nothing but God."

If you are Rutgers football staff, do you spend another millisecond recruiting this South Jersey athlete? Recruiting against Miami is one thing, but the God angle is very tough.

Should Rutgers bother offering?

I dont think the god comment was about that it was Miami.... just that he has started getting scholarship offers.

Go ahead, kid. Your folks can watch you play on tv, instead of at HPSS. And so you think your basketweaving degree will be better than your Rutgers degree. Wake up, N.J. parents.

Originally posted by RUinSD:
I dont think the god comment was about that it was Miami.... just that he has started getting scholarship offers.
The God comment was totally about the scholarship offer and not Miami.

Pretty smart kid to say that he doesn't want to be one of the kids that transfers and wants college to feel like home. Given all of the family atmosphere at Rutgers that is always talked about you'd have to think that if RU offers we'd have an inside track on this kid with the added benefit of the parents being able to easily attend all home games.

Now if we were Notre Dame, the answer would be "We don't stop recruiting players even years after they've signed onto another college."

No. It was clear that his mom's God comments were about Miami. The quote below is probably just th opinion of the idiot Northern Nec writer. Rutgers has not offered this kid yet. I love the put down. This guy puts RU in the same class as Temple.

"The offer from the prestigious private college, whose Hurricanes compete in the Football Bowl Subdivision of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, could be the first of several for the six-foot-six, 280-pound offensive lineman, who never thought he would have gotten such an opportunity. His high hopes were along the lines of playing for Temple or Rutgers University."

Originally posted by REDRICH65:
Go ahead, kid. Your folks can watch you play on tv, instead of at HPSS. And so you think your basketweaving degree will be better than your Rutgers degree. Wake up, N.J. parents.
The point that the article makes is that they aren't New Jersey parents. They and their families are life long Warsaw residents. They just happen to live in NJ now. The focus of their provincial compass is still Scranton area of PA.

Originally posted by Scarlet_Scourge:
At the end of the signing period.
This. Unless someone explicitly says stop calling me. Imagine If we gave up on Ford?

Based on recent history, we should stop recruiting a player when he gets an offer from Temple.
rolleye0007.r191677.gif

We haven't offered him so I'm not sure you can say we are recruiting him that much at this point.

Originally posted by hiwater:

No. It was clear that his mom's God comments were about Miami. The quote below is probably just th opinion of the idiot Northern Nec writer. Rutgers has not offered this kid yet. I love the put down. This guy puts RU in the same class as Temple.

"The offer from the prestigious private college, whose Hurricanes compete in the Football Bowl Subdivision of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, could be the first of several for the six-foot-six, 280-pound offensive lineman, who never thought he would have gotten such an opportunity. His high hopes were along the lines of playing for Temple or Rutgers University."
Unreal. Are they serious with that????

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:
Now if we were Notre Dame, the answer would be "We don't stop recruiting players even years after they've signed onto another college."
Lol!!

That newspaper and the family are from Virginia, not Pa. ACC country. I think the Rutgers comment came from the stupid writer, not the player or his Mom. The player only said he expects Rutgers to offer soon. The paper is probably the equivalent of The South Brunswick Post, just some local rag with a part time writer.

Originally posted by dnmuller:

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:
Lol!!
+1

Originally posted by Scarlet dollar:
That newspaper and the family are from Virginia, not Pa. ACC country. I think the Rutgers comment came from the stupid writer, not the player or his Mom. The player only said he expects Rutgers to offer soon. The paper is probably the equivalent of The South Brunswick Post, just some local rag with a part time writer.
It was poorly written.

We keept in contact with Marques Ford long after he solidly committed to Tennessee.

How did that end up?

I hope that answers your question.

ADVERTISEMENT