ADVERTISEMENT

Where are the wins?

RUsojo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2010
This was a really strange dynamic. With the first two games being on BTN plus I didn’t bother paying like I did last year because of the opponents. They hype was real though. I’m thinking many fans came into tonight with the same situation - hearing the hype but thinking “number one three point shooting team in the country? I’ll believe it when I see it”. And yikes, when the game was still up for grabs they didn’t just missed they bricked hard. And now we leave this game picking up where the team left off ; not shooting the deep ball well, not shooting from the line we’ll, and nonone being able to defend guards (aside form Corey).

Forget OOC, in conference where are the wins aside from Penn St and maybe Illinois. Will Rutgers be favored in more than 2 conference games? I’m starting to fonder if this team can get more than 10 wins?

This was a really strange dynamic. With the first two games being on BTN plus I didn’t bother paying like I did last year because of the opponents. They hype was real though. I’m thinking many fans came into tonight with the same situation - hearing the hype but thinking “number one three point shooting team in the country? I’ll believe it when I see it”. And yikes, when the game was still up for grabs they didn’t just missed they bricked hard. And now we leave this game picking up where the team left off ; not shooting the deep ball well, not shooting from the line we’ll, and nonone being able to defend guards (aside form Corey).

Forget OOC, in conference where are the wins aside from Penn St and maybe Illinois. Will Rutgers be favored in more than 2 conference games? I’m starting to fonder if this team can get more than 10 wins?

Nothing that happened tonight changes most people’s predictions. We’re probably going to fight it out with Illinois and Penn State to get out if the basement. This team is capable of a couple of surprises along the way and I still think they can get to 11 maybe 12 wins.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Nothing that happened tonight changes most people’s predictions. We’re probably going to fight it out with Illinois and Penn State to get out if the basement. This team is capable of a couple of surprises along the way and I still think they can get to 11 maybe 12 wins.

True. Hope so.

Growing pains. Really need to see how much Pikiell can get them to ratchet up the defense.

Reactions: RUsojo
I sniffed him out a while ago. He defended Jordan to the bitter end and seems to throw all kinds of shade at Pikiell none of which is legit for a guy in his year 3 playing alot of young talented guys. Not sure what he expected tonight when SJU played like a BE conference champ.

If this team is 4-8 come January 1 then he can have a leg to stand on

I bet they finish with more conference wins than the football team.

It is only November and the team is very young. They will get better as the season progresses. We have already seen improvement from many of the players.

Reactions: RUsojo
Why do people think that Illinois is going to be so bad? I'm not ready to put them into the NCAA Tournament but they have some nice pieces, especially when Trent Frazier returns. Ayo is tough to defend, I like what the Euro big man gives them. Granted it would be nice if Kipper Nichols started taking and making three-pointers. Plus I LOVE how they defend.

Reactions: Local Shill
Sojo's been doing this for years now, it's super weird
Lots of fans do it and it is very common after a loss. There's usually little allowance for player improvement. I didn't see the game, but just looking at the stats there were three guys who played at least 15 minutes tonight have never played at this level before. They're still getting used to the speed of the game, their teammates etc. Peter Kiss just played his third game since March...2017...gotta knock off some rust.

I recommend deep breaths and just enjoying each game.

Exactly . Basketball is different than football in that you can’t overreact off one win or loss . There are too many games and too many swings in the season . We all knew this team was going to be up and down because we have so many young pieces X. Do we have issues , of course . We don’t really have a true point or backup and we’re very inexperienced. There will be other games like this where we don’t have it and the other team shoots lights out . There will also be games where we suprise and play much better . One thing that does concern me though is the one on one defense as that is tough to improve on . St Johns does have some dudes though

Why do people think that Illinois is going to be so bad? I'm not ready to put them into the NCAA Tournament but they have some nice pieces, especially when Trent Frazier returns. Ayo is tough to defend, I like what the Euro big man gives them. Granted it would be nice if Kipper Nichols started taking and making three-pointers. Plus I LOVE how they defend.

Illinois is not bad. Although they looked terrible against a bad Georgetown (who I took on the moneyline +350) but realistically there still bear the bottom of the big ten pecking order. Although it is bunches up down there.

you’re making my point - where are the wins?

Illinois is not bad. Although they looked terrible against a bad Georgetown (who I took on the moneyline +350) but realistically there still bear the bottom of the big ten pecking order. Although it is bunches up down there.

you’re making my point - where are the wins?

You thought Illinois looked terrible against Georgetown? That was an intense highly competitive game. And evidently they were missing one of their starters. I don't share that take.

Reactions: GoFish2
I sniffed him out a while ago. He defended Jordan to the bitter end and seems to throw all kinds of shade at Pikiell none of which is legit for a guy in his year 3 playing alot of young talented guys. Not sure what he expected tonight when SJU played like a BE conference champ.

I never defended Jordan as a coach. I simply stated we would be better off waiting another year and taking the buyout money and putting it towards a bigger coaching budget the following year. A coach who could make a recruit splash. That’s all I’ve ever said and I’ve not once hid that.

I don’t want to keep getting into this but you keep bringing it up. But in three seasons the average rating of our recruits has been in the bottom third of the conference each year. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH A SLOW REBUILD. I believe in Pike and have heard second hand that he is extremely well respected in the coaching world. It’s just going to take longer than this year or next year to make the dance - people here think it’s a foregone conclusion - and when it doesn’t happen they are going to be pissed and sour on the program and support will decline just as a real chance to climb the ladder presents itself.

If Pikiell gets 6-7 years AND improves recruiting in 2020 and 2021 we will get to where we want. He has the facility at his back (and unwavering support from the fanbase and positive press from local papers) so as long as the product on the court is competitive this build is in good shape.

Why is the above view negative? I just don’t see the negativity.

now now bac...don't take all the credit! I've been calling him out for his weird anti-Pike obsession for a while also :)

Reactions: bac2therac
You thought Illinois looked terrible against Georgetown? That was an intense highly competitive game. And evidently they were missing one of their starters. I don't share that take.

I was actually texting my buddy about the game and I said “this is a fun game” and he goes “I see two bad teams”. I said that’s why I said “fun” and not good.

Illinois has some talented players but they did not play good basketball by and large. Not sure how you come away with your take.

I’ll say it again...this team is a year away. Enjoy the growth this season and just be as patient as possible. We’re looking at 12-14 wins this year. Next season is when it all comes together.

Reactions: Goku
now now bac...don't take all the credit! I've been calling him out for his weird anti-Pike obsession for a while also :)

You guys are crazy I haven’t been anti pike in any post. Nearly all posts I firmly stand behind Pike he just needs more time and a better recruiting class in 2020 than he’s signed to date.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT