ADVERTISEMENT

Which Are The Best Colleges in New Jersey? Niche.com Ranks Them in New List

Id argue that RU-NB and Stevens should be tied at 2nd but I am ok with the rankings. If anyone besides Princeton and Stevens were ahead of RU-NB, I'd have serious objections.

25 years ago, we (in Rutgers College) privately laughed at our high school friends who only got into Stevens.

25 years ago, we (in Rutgers College) privately laughed at our high school friends who only got into Stevens.
Not all, but many similar level Stevens admits may have applied only to Engineering, not necessarily to any of the four A&S schools or Cook or Pharmacy. Or they didn't bother to apply to Rutgers-NB at all...because it wasn't the experience they were looking for.

For me, Stevens was the size of a large high school which was a turn off since I came from a very small HS and wanted a large university experience. I didn't even apply to Stevens even though I was only applying to engineering programs because as a private school the price tag wasn't anywhere near worth it to me. I saw it about on par with Rutgers Engineering as far as quality and perception.

In my case (29 years ago), a couple of HS friends went there....one transferred to Rutgers-NB after a year, the other stayed since he desired the niche tech school environment (his older brother from our HS was also an alum). Among a subset of their close freshman dorm mates at Stevens, 3 of 5 also transferred after a year (one to RPI, one to Cornell, and one to Rice). So 4 out of 7 in this mini cohort decided to move on for sophomore year to equivalent or more prestigious engineering programs....it was apparently not for everyone, lol.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Id argue that RU-NB and Stevens should be tied at 2nd but I am ok with the rankings. If anyone besides Princeton and Stevens were ahead of RU-NB, I'd have serious objections.

I try to take any ranking with a healthy sized grain of salt. I'd agree about a possible tie for #2. My other reactions are that it's good to see Rutgers-NB not end up below CNJ. Also, Newark and Camden landing in top 5 and top 10 respectively is good to see for those campuses. Surprised to see Drew land outside of top 10 especially with Montclair State and Monmouth occupying the slots above. NJIT is sometimes overlooked perhaps because of location but it's in a good spot here. Rowan seems fair as it has expanded its profile and grown substantially since the Glassboro State days.

rankings seem heavily dependent on SAT scores.

Rutgers serves disadvantaged students at all their campuses.. this would hurt in that regard. I do not think it reflects on what could be achieved by students ar Rutgers compared to Stevens, for example.

Are you really better off as a Stevens engineering student compared to Rutgers? I would be surprised if that were so.. but cannot really say myself.

ADVERTISEMENT