ADVERTISEMENT

Which Was Worse?

Worse Loss - Kansas'18 vs. New Hampshire '04

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

graystork

All American
Nov 30, 2008
Old Guard only. Please don't vote unless you actually saw the NH game (in person or TV). Which was worse Kansas '18 or New Hampshire '04

Kansas and it's not even close. UNH was in Schiano's fourth year and came the week after that huge win against MSU. Most of us knew the incredible rebuild Greg had going on from the worst program in 1A (maybe ever), so even though that loss was horrific, we knew we were on the right trajectory.

The Kansas loss is far worse, because it was to what heretofore had been the worst P5 program and it was a blowout and it confirmed that we had completed the total destruction of everything that Greg had built here and that we are now the worst P5 team. It's all about the trajectory and we're in complete free fall.

Last edited:
Kansas and it's not even close. UNH was in Schiano's fourth year and came the week after that huge win against MSU. Most of us knew the incredible rebuild Greg had going on from the worst program in 1A (maybe ever), so even though that loss was horrific, we knew we were on the right trajectory.

The Kansas loss is far worse, because it was too what heretofore had been the worst P5 program and it was a blowout and it confirmed that we had completed the total destruction of everything that Greg had built here and that we are now the worst P5 team. It's all about the trajectory and we're in complete free fall.
This. Saves me a lot typing.

The Kansas loss is far worse, because it was too what heretofore had been the worst P5 program and it was a blowout and it confirmed that we had completed the total destruction of everything that Greg had built here and that we are now the worst P5 team. It's all about the trajectory and we're in complete free fall.
This. Saves me a lot typing.
Kansas hands down

I would have to say NH, we came off a good win at MSU and it looked like we finally had a decent team and the past was behind. Plus I don't believe even Shea lost to 1AA. Losing to 1AA didn't happen back then. It was a kick in the nuts. I was hoping we would beat Kansas but I didn't have much confidence we would. NH was suppose to be an easy win.

I would have to say NH, we came off a good win at MSU and it looked like we finally had a decent team and the past was behind. Plus I don't believe even Shea lost to 1AA. Losing to 1AA didn't happen back then. It was a kick in the nuts. I was hoping we would beat Kansas but I didn't have much confidence we would. NH was suppose to be an easy win.
New Hampshire had Chip Kelly as the OC before he got hired at Oregon. I remember our punter fielding a bad snap with his knee on the ground. Looked like we were sleeping on the field but the game was still close. New Hampsire also had a shit to win the title in the playoffs that year. Kansas has been horrible for a long time. We were supposed to win this game to have a shot at a bowl game. We were crushed and it wasn’t even close.

Easily Kansas.

I remember being frustrated leaving the UNH game, but you have to remember that Chip Kelly was the OC for them at that time. Chip built the blueprint to that spread offense that Schiano never really could slow down.

It's one thing to lose to a 1AA team,it's another to look completely lost against a team like Kansas.

Easily Kansas.

I remember being frustrated leaving the UNH game, but you have to remember that Chip Kelly was the OC for them at that time. Chip built the blueprint to that spread offense that Schiano never really could slow down.

It's one thing to lose to a 1AA team,it's another to look completely lost against a team like Kansas.

Nobody knew who Chip Kelly was at that game, he was a 1AA OC. Also we were ahead at the half and scored a big 0 in the second while UNH scored 21. Chip Kelly wasn't coaching the D for UNH but they held us to nothing, it's one thing getting beat by a power 5 school it's another getting beat by a 1AA.

Reactions: czxqa
UNH was bad.. iirc.. there were actually fights in the stands. That means there was still a split among fans with some mocking and laughing and others wanting to clock those people who were mocking and laughing.

[EDIT: or were the fights during BuffaNova?.. yeah.. I think it was the year before UNH)

I admit, I was dumbfounded why Schiano was still calling an aggressive stunt and blitz D when they were just throwing quickly and efficiently avoiding the pass rush. We could have played straight-up D.. played a zone at the LB level and beaten those guys easily because we would have won every athletic matchup.

So I sat there, dumbfounded and worked to come up with a valid reason for GS to do what he did.. train the defense for opponents where we would not win the one on one matchups. Once I made sense out of it.. UNH did not sting that much.

I don't get a sense that anyone here wants to defend Ash that strongly... no one is going to fight the loudmouth haters for him (and I recommend no one do that in this litigious world). And for all you guys attending Saturday, I certainly hope the loudmouth jackholes find something better to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: czxqa
What's the point of convincing ourselves this is even worse than the Terry Shea days or any other time? It's a bizarre kind of self-misery that some fans like to wallow in.

Nobody knew who Chip Kelly was at that game, he was a 1AA OC. Also we were ahead at the half and scored a big 0 in the second while UNH scored 21. Chip Kelly wasn't coaching the D for UNH but they held us to nothing, it's one thing getting beat by a power 5 school it's another getting beat by a 1AA.

Yes but that year was Chip's coming out party in terms of making a name for himself.

Kansas hands down. New Hampshire has the legendary Ricky Santos. I don’t think he ever threw an incomplete pass

What's the point of convincing ourselves this is even worse than the Terry Shea days or any other time? It's a bizarre kind of self-misery that some fans like to wallow in.
If you think about it, what's the point of watching 22 men line up against each other while one side attempts to advance a prolate spheroid to the end of a 100 yard field while the other side tries to physically prevent them from getting there in 10 yard increments? And then what's the point of other people who are not directly involved in this activity engaging in open dialog about it in a public online forum?

Kansas, who was basically our mirror image in the B12, was symbolic of how all of the progress Schiano had made with this program from FBS hell to being a top 10 ranked team to being an annual conference title contender to finally getting into the best conference in the land has been almost completely burned to the ground.

Reactions: zebnatto and lakejj
UNH by far.

Anyone at the that game walked out and felt they watched a family member die.

Last Saturday? We blow. Anyone following this program knew we blew. The blowouts last year told us how bad we were. Those who follow this thing knew there was very little hope for a few wins this season. Saturday just told us how bad our roster is depleted from the guys we lost and sub par recruiting.

We beat Mich State the week before and, I loved the kid, but Ryan Hardt was quoted saying the backups would get good time the following week. RU was starting to believe in GS and UNH gutted our souls for a long long time.

A Kansas blowout? It was comical. Nothing more.

Last edited:
Kansas, who was basically our mirror image in the B12, was symbolic of how all of the progress Schiano had made with this program from FBS hell to being a top 10 ranked team to being an annual conference title contender to finally getting into the best conference in the land has been almost completely burned to the ground.
NH's Ricky Santos was a nlf first round pick on that day, there is no beating michigan st this year. ash should just take a knee with blazek and neiman and go back to corn country

Reactions: RutgersRockies
.... ash should just take a knee with blazek and neiman and go back to corn country
I am northeastern through and through.

4th generation Somerville Slovakian kid, grandson of a DDay Marine, son of Veitnam vet, listened to grandma's stories of the depression in Jersey City and New Brunswick. Went to HS in VT. Back to work in NYC, now in Boston.

The north east and New England are a different animal. Exceedingly wealthy, Puritan thinking private school or bust thinking.

Unless you're getting a Meyer or Saban with a NASTY track record, an outsider isn't coming in here and ring fencing recruits, application and donors.

Bob was brilliant and got lucky. He knew it would take a GS guy. Bob got lucky GS couched just well enough to back up his talk.

I hope I am wrong and Ash figures this out because people at work associate me with thus mess and it hurts. But Hobbs probably screwed up and we need a North East guy back in the saddle.

(Meyer probably screwed us on purpose and talked up Ash, knowing something we didn't Hahahaha)

UNH was worse. We had positive momentum going and after the MSU game it felt like the start of something big and “this would be the year”.

UNH burst that bubble real quick and was so deflating. There was no rational explanation. It was a 1AA team and frosh QB who completely shredded us led them to a convincing victory going away.

This time, I know it’s just a game where we laid an egg. There is no bigger meaning to getting to a bowl - we’ve been to 8 (?) at this point.

There are a lot of reasons we stunk up the joint- many of them pretty fixable - turnovers, frosh QB, depleted secondary. Dare I also say the RB from Kansas Pookah Williams is electric. If he’d played vs. Nicholas St they would def have won and there would be a much different narrative about Kansas football right now.

Let’s hope our team shows up ready to play this Sat.

Bingo

You know why i love Rutgers? THREADS LIKE THIS! we win together, we lose together, we are a community. And we sure are "special"

This was the worst I felt after a loss other than 2014 PSU, since I’ve followed the team starting in 2001. I still have faith but this weekend was bad

This was the worst I felt after a loss other than 2014 PSU, since I’ve followed the team starting in 2001. I still have faith but this weekend was bad
Yep. PSU ‘14 and UL ‘12 were absolute gut punches. We had our noses rubbed in it on Saturday.

Reactions: redking
I think this year's Kansas game was more heartbreaking.
For me losing to New Hampshire in 2004 just proved ( after that loss) that it was the same old Rutgers and the MSU win was a fluke.
I really had no expectations of seeing a winning RU program at that time.
Losing to Kansas this year came after I started believing Rutgers had a fairly good shot at going 6-6 and getting a bowl bid.
That hope was destroyed with the Jayhawk loss and the feeling that RU regressed into the type of program that it was before Schiano made the Scarlet Knights respectable is going though my mind now.

Didn't vote (though I could).........

All I'll say is I remember when this board could REALLY melt down......

I'm 100% positive the world was about to end in 2004........ or maybe it was after some Uconn game a few years back, or those 15 times we lost to West Virginia by 8 (or 80) points.......... hard to remember now.....

...what I do know, is today's thread captains are pretty much amateurs compared to the old days......... but, keep at it boys.......

...and, no I'm not satisfied --- or even remotely happy........ but, anyone who thinks they are witnessing (or somehow leading) some sort of full scale melt-down is giving too much credit :)

Last edited:
I voted for New Hampshire here, but the most deflating game for me was at home to Kent State in late October 2012, after starting the season with 7 straight wins and being ranked #15. That was Flood’s first year and he was doing ok until he let Nova stay in the game long enough to turn the ball over 6 times. This was our Homecoming game to boot. To say I was disgusted is an understatement.

Both losses felt like sucker punches. One knocked the wind out of us, the other could be a knockout blow.

Coming off the most exciting win in recent memory, Schiano's support seemed to go from 95% to 65% after UNH.

It had been slowly trending down, but it seems like Ash's support went from 50% to 10%. Many of his strongest supporters finally gave up after last week.

We all expected to win the UNH game. Many expected to lose to Kansas. So at the time of each game, the UNH game was a worse loss.

Looking back, that UNH team ended up being very good. We'll see about Kansas. Giving up 55 is disgraceful. I think this loss will prove more embarrassing in the end.

Reactions: BillyC80

I agree. Shea came close though, beating Richmond 7-6 in 1998. Richmond was a good 1AA team and lost in the opening round of the playoffs that year.

For those who claim, "New Hampshire had..." as a justification for choosing losing to a P5 program, please examine your crystal ball and tell me how bad this Kansas team is and how they have nobody that's any decent on their roster. New Hampshire lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs (to Montana who then beat to Sam Houston State before losing to James Madison in the championship), so that wasn't as good of a loss as many of you want to believe it is today.

What is worse, losing to a good FCS team at home by 11 points or losing to a P5 team on the road by 41? How can it NOT be the FCS team? I mean, we know this Kansas team sucks because they lost their opening to Nicholls State at home by 3 points in OT, right? If you haven't noticed, they won at Central Michigan by 24 (BTW: I posted last week I agreed with Lou Holtz' statement, "You don't want to play a bad team after they win or a good team after they lose"). I'm open to the possibility this Kansas team is a lot better than most of us want to give them credit for and the Nicholls State game. I think they have a chance to win at Baylor this week (FS1, 3:30) despite Baylor being favored by 7.

Reactions: redking
This Kansas loss is the nadir of the program since the Shea years. UNH loss seemed like a blip in an upward trajectory. The Kansas fiasco feels like a rapid descent into a Black Hole from which there is no exit anytime soon.

I'm not sure if your impression of UNH is a retrospective. RU was 5-7 in 2003. 2004 opened with an awesome win at home against Michigan State. Then the 11 point loss to UNH, which was followed by an 8 point win against Kent State and a 10-point loss at Syracuse. RU would finish 4-7 that year. At the Big East Media Day prior to the 2005 season, Schiano made a joke about how hot his seat was. I don't remember it as a blip, but as a painful reminder of BuffaNova from two seasons earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT