ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s it gonna be?!

The No. 1 priority for the next president is to make Rutgers carbon neutral? The person who said that has zero sense of perspective. While I support that, any potential candidate who agrees with that statement should be eliminated from consideration.

But it was nice to read an article about the search for a new president and not hear the word "diversity."

The people who got to speak at those town halls were so out of touch with reality, it is honestly very sad. Wish I could have gone to one. I would have married how perfect athletics and academics are at so many places.

The No. 1 priority for the next president is to make Rutgers carbon neutral? The person who said that has zero sense of perspective. While I support that, any potential candidate who agrees with that statement should be eliminated from consideration.

But it was nice to read an article about the search for a new president and not hear the word "diversity."
They (Rutgers) don't have to say it because it's already shown in every piece of media they put out.

Reactions: Caliknight
I've sat through several of these things on other campuses. The ability of some really smart faculty to say some really dumb stuff should not be discounted. Add the overlay of faculty union shenanigans and it can get weird fast.

Not saying the University of Wisconsin is perfect, but I wouldn’t mind someone from there who thinks that is the goal for Rutgers to reach-for academics and athletics.

Reactions: njrexguy
Another thing about academic searches - everybody wants on the committee.
23 is already way too many, its nuts.

Union griping in the NSL

What usually happens is that the chairperson and two or three others end up running the committee and dominating the choice (for one thing, they usually get to pick who's going to be interviewed.) The committee is generally a rubber-stamp. The chief problem is that the candidate gets to answer inane questions from the whole committee in the second interview.

Reactions: RU MAN
What usually happens is that the chairperson and two or three others end up running the committee and dominating the choice (for one thing, they usually get to pick who's going to be interviewed.) The committee is generally a rubber-stamp. The chief problem is that the candidate gets to answer inane questions from the whole committee in the second interview.
The ones I've been involved with it is amazing how many want to pontificate, but so few actually want to do any work.

Good example of not understanding good, if not perfect, allies and missing out on the actual opponents.
NJBiz
Rutgers students, employees protest Pallone on climate change

Pallone actually should like this. Senator Edmund Muskie, who did so much to create the Clean Air and the Clean Water Acts, had a saying, "If I can determine the position of the left and the right, then I can control the middle. And when I control the middle, I always win." So it is good for Pallone to have a group on his left pressing him for action; it makes his proposals, whatever they are, seem moderate.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
ADVERTISEMENT