ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s R quarterback ?

Based on quotes from Schiano that I read in the Star-Liar today, I got the impression he & Gleeson are very high on Vedral.

I suspect Vedral is being looked at as the starter until proven otherwise.
You still read the star liar ? Why ?

If it is Sitkowski than we aren't an improved offense. Some of you defend him to the end of the earth with one excuse after another. I'm guessing because he is from NJ. Obviously there is physical talent there but he has never put it together since his Senior year at IMG where he was benched. His best for Rutgers was the first 3 quarters of the BC game. Other than that just terrible.
We need someone who can energize the offense and at the very minimum eliminate the constant 3 and outs that have plagued RU for years now.

I do not think you realize how bad our WRs were.

All of these GIVE SIT A CHANCE posts are cool. Wish there were the same posts for Lewis, Flacco, and others who were deemed no good for 1/10th of what Sit has done.

You don't throw 18 INTs to 4TDs. You can make all the excuses you want but that is 100% on him. You can't blame his terrible accuracy on anyone else either.
Correct, you dont throw into double/triple coverage if your WRs is that bad.

Can't agree with this more. Vedral's highlights look very good and if he's healthy I assume he starts. AS is simply not a starting 1A QB and maybe not a starting 1AA QB (still like the old acronyms better).
You don't throw 18 INTs to 4TDs. You can make all the excuses you want but that is 100% on him. You can't blame his terrible accuracy on anyone else either.
If you really think that his struggles were 100% on him and not an inability for WRs to be open, or TEs not being used, than you know very little.
People have formed their own opinions regarding Rutgers potential QB for 2020. It was like some whose opinion of Gary Nova and his bad games over shadowed his 4 year statistical totals and wins. When was the last time Rutger’s Oline was good at both pass and run protections in the same season. Between poor wr’s and poor line play a kid like Sitkowski was doomed to failure. Yes 18 int’s is bad ... but there was more to the story with his development in his first 2 seasons. Schiano and Gleason will choose someone and hopefully they will be an improvement. Much will depend on those other key factors... O line play and catching the pigskin.

Reactions: RUDutch and slyker
If you really think that his struggles were 100% on him and not an inability for WRs to be open, or TEs not being used, than you know very little.
Obviously you know nothing! And your reading comprehension is like a 2nd grader. Please go back and read about his very specific struggles I pointed out.

Taking a look at Mike Teel's first year stats, would not write off Sit.

Teel:
First year 50.5% completion 2 TD/10 INT.
Soph Year: 55.4% completion: 12 TD/13 INT
Junior Year: 58.2% completion 20 TD/13 INT
Senior Year: 61.4% completion 25 TD/13 INT

Sit:
first year: 51.5% completion 4 TD/18 INT
Second year sample size too limited.

Hope Greg can develop Sit like he did Teel.

He's a football coach. Not saying you are wrong, and opinions on these things always vary, but just sayin'. 😉
For a coach not to understand where the fault lies in throwing 18 INTs vs 4TDs makes it even worse!

Can't agree with this more. Vedral's highlights look very good and if he's healthy I assume he starts. AS is simply not a starting 1A QB and maybe not a starting 1AA QB (still like the old acronyms better).

Agree, not to mention that Art quit playing when Nunzio took over for Ash. Why didnt Art transfer like Blackshear?Were there no decent offers for him? Vedral is hungry to play and wants to be at RU. He is a also a lot more versatile than Art.

Art looks great in warmups with his strong arm but other than the BC game he has not performed well. No way to sugarcoat Arts stats at RU Imo.

Last edited:
Agree, not to mention that Art quit playing when Nunzio took over for Ash. Why didnt Art transfer like Blackshear?Were there no decent offers for him? Vedral is hungry to play and wants to be at RU. He is a also a lot more versatile than Art.

Art looks great in warmups with his strong arm but other than the BC game he has not performed well. No way to sugarcoat Arts stats at RU Imo.
No one wants to bring this up as well.

Teel years 2 -3-4 ... O line...TE... WR... vs Sitkowski’ year 1- 2... not saying one should compare but writing him off would be unwise... if nothing else he does have experience...we will see .

Except Sitkowski was constantly under pressure.....from the snap! Lets face it, ANY QB including Tim Tebow would have had a hard time with our O line! While every position group needs massive amounts of work the O line in my opinion needed a complete overhaul. Even with all the challenges ahead of us I am optimistic that Schiano, Gleeson and the players will show massive improvement.

Last edited:
Based on quotes from Schiano that I read in the Star-Liar today, I got the impression he & Gleeson are very high on Vedral.

I suspect Vedral is being looked at as the starter until proven otherwise.

If you read it in the Star-Liar how can it be true ?

Except Sitkowski was constantly under pressure.....from the snap! Lets face it, ANY QB including Tim Tebow would have had a hard time with our O line! While every position group needs massive amounts of work the O line in my opinion needed a complete overhaul. Even with all the challenges ahead of us I am optimistic that Schiano, Gleeson and the players will show massive improvement.
Again I've never said he wasn't under pressure or the team sucked as a whole especially the WRs. However, the ball is in his hands and you can't keep giving it back to the other team in excellent field position. Not only does he hurt the offense but he kills the defense by sending them back out there with no rest. It's his job if there is a breakdown to throw it away or just eat it. He never did. He kept trying the impossible and never learned from it.

So you're saying he hasn't learned in the two years since? You know that how exactly? I don't know if he'll ever be a good QB but I also don't know that he won't be. His physical skills haven't been questioned. The mental part of being a QB can take a while and sometimes it never comes. I hope he's able to flip the light switch for RU's sake. To say that he'll never be a good QB based on what he did when he was 18 with an historically bad O line and mediocre at best receivers is just ridiculous

So you're saying he hasn't learned in the two years since? You know that how exactly? I don't know if he'll ever be a good QB but I also don't know that he won't be. His physical skills haven't been questioned. The mental part of being a QB can take a while and sometimes it never comes. I hope he's able to flip the light switch for RU's sake. To say that he'll never be a good QB based on what he did when he was 18 with an historically bad O line and mediocre at best receivers is just ridiculous
I have to agree. I don’t know if AS will succeed or not but playing under Ash and his horrid coaching staff, coupled with poor OL and WR and generaL poor play, makes me want to give AS another shot. I try to leave the Ash error (Sic) behind me but have a hard time when I think about those teams and individual performances. I’ll leave it to Schiano to make the call—as I have to...

Again I've never said he wasn't under pressure or the team sucked as a whole especially the WRs. However, the ball is in his hands and you can't keep giving it back to the other team in excellent field position. Not only does he hurt the offense but he kills the defense by sending them back out there with no rest. It's his job if there is a breakdown to throw it away or just eat it. He never did. He kept trying the impossible and never learned from it.

How can you say Sitkowski never learned from his mistakes ?? In his first 7 games he had 16 Interceptions. In his final 7 he had just 5 interceptions. And the final 7 included games against some of the better defenses .. Penn State, Michigan Wisconsin , Iowa and Michigan a second time in 2019. Do you even watch the games? Or likley just blindly looking at his cumulative statistics

Last edited:
How can you say Sitkowski never learned from his mistakes ?? In his first 7 games he had 16 Interceptions. In his final 7 he had just 5 interceptions. And the final 7 included games against some of the better defenses .. Penn State, Michigan Wisconsin , Iowa and Michigan a second time in 2019. Do you even watch the games? Or likley just blindly looking at his cumulative statistics
I was at all of his home loses. So yes I watch the games. Do you understand that the acceptable minimum TD to INT ratio is 2:1? At his best last year he was 1:2. He also has an accuracy issue. As I said in my first post he looked good for 3 quarters against BC. His best overall game of 14 and lost by a terrible INT. I was there. Were you? The game that Ash got fired. So I give him thanks for that.

Reactions: Knightmoves
I was at all of his home loses. So yes I watch the games. Do you understand that the acceptable minimum TD to INT ratio is 2:1? At his best last year he was 1:2. He also has an accuracy issue. As I said in my first post he looked good for 3 quarters against BC. His best overall game of 14 and lost by a terrible INT. I was there. Were you? The game that Ash got fired. So I give him thanks for that.

Yup . Blindy looking at stats. I thought so

Haven't missed a home game in about 15 years and saw Art and RU play out in Madison in 2018 as well. I am seeing a kid maturing who has learned more and more how to throw the ball away when it is warranted. I cant stand it when people just throw stats out there with little regard to all the other circumstances surrounding any particular situation. Clueless comes to mind.

Haven't missed a home game in about 15 years and saw Art and RU play out in Madison in 2018 as well. I am seeing a kid maturing who has learned more and more how to throw the ball away when it is warranted. I cant stand it when people just throw stats out there with little regard to all the other circumstances surrounding any particular situation. Clueless comes to mind.
This isn't a stat thing! This is eyeballs. Clueless is thinking his "improvement" last year before he quit is still acceptable. If this kid wasn't from NJ no one would care but we have to defend the Jersey boy. Stupid

Reactions: tico brown
This isn't a stat thing! This is eyeballs. Clueless is thinking his "improvement" last year before he quit is still acceptable. If this kid wasn't from NJ no one would care but we have to defend the Jersey boy. Stupid
Not true about no one would care if he weren’t from the home state and a local kid. All you are focused on is he “quit” on his team though we don’t know what he and Nunzio discussed at the time. Evidently Greg Schiano is ok with it... the kid had no O line... except for Maietti and several others we were not consistent but for some strange reason some don’t consider those intangibles . Our WR’s were non existent... if not for our RB’s we would have never scored. We all want that special QB. Let Gleason and Schiano decide on who leads the team it maybe Cole Snyder or Jonny Langan. We’ll know in 4 weeks unless there are delays.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Not true about no one would care if he weren’t from the home state and a local kid. All you are focused on is he “quit” on his team though we don’t know what he and Nunzio discussed at the time. Evidently Greg Schiano is ok with it... the kid had no O line... except for Maietti and several others we were not consistent but for some strange reason some don’t consider those intangibles . Our WR’s were non existent... if not for our RB’s we would have never scored. We all want that special QB. Let Gleason and Schiano decide on who leads the team it maybe Cole Snyder or Jonny Langan. We’ll know in 4 weeks unless there are delays.
I'm not focused his choice not play at all. Smart move as there was no guarantee he would have started after Ash was fired. Why burn a year?

What stopped Art from running if the WR's were covered? We talk about his arm strengh.....when has he completed a throw that made you say "wow"

I am rooting for Sitkowski, but what I remember about the BC game is that a lot of the completions were dump offs to Blackshear. Looked it up, Blackshear had 9 receptions for 130 yards that day. To put it in context, Pacheco had 13 receptions for 83 yards on the entire season. Sitkowski really benefited from the threat out of the backfield that day and hopefully we can find someone to fill that role more consistently next season. Though looking at the box score, several of the WR's also had productive days, so maybe Sitkowski had a better day than I remembered.

Maybe those dump offs are a result of not having time for a play to develop down field due to a poor OL. He has the skills. Gotta put a decent OL in front of him to evaluate

Maybe those dump offs are a result of not having time for a play to develop down field due to a poor OL. He has the skills. Gotta put a decent OL in front of him to evaluate
Johnny Langan completed more down field throws than Art.....Why can't Langan get better if Art can get better?

Because he doesn't have the physical tools. Only marginal increases can be gained for a QB with proper training and practice

We have been tortured with Interceptions since Gary Turnova. PSU game, Kent State game, Va Tech bowl game. All gut wrenching losses where Gary threw 5, 6, and 5 INTS. Sitkowski I can’t believe that stat, 5 TDs 20 INTS!?!? That has to be the biggest change. For that alone have to play Vedral
Some RU fans would give their left nut for a qb with the level of production of a Gary Nova. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

With respect to Sitkowski I’ve kind of mentally checked out on him and have compartmentalized him with Blackshear. He straight out quit on the team in the middle of a season. Hope Vedral wins out and Langan backs up as a change of pace qb or gets challenged by one of the other qbs on roster.

GO RU

Obviously there is physical talent there...
You answered your own question... that is why he gets support... and his courage stepping up into throws.. something we haven't seen here in awhile. Dodd was courageous but handled it differently.

If they find someone better.. that's great. If they can make the light come on for Sitkowski.. that's great too.

Reactions: bossnj1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT