ADVERTISEMENT

Who are your top 5 all-time favorite RU players?

Tom Savage carried us to the 88-89 NCAA. He was money that season.
Very good player who I really enjoyed watching play... What happened to him in '89-'90 and 90'-91' when he missed so many games? Was it injury, ineligibility, or both? Can't help but wonder if we had him healthy and/or eligible in both those seasons if we'd have been even more successful.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Geoff Billett - Clutch shooter and a huge get for the program. I don't remember him ever missing a free throw. Talked to him several times in the Corner Tavern when he wasn't toting that f-ing weirdo Josh Sankes around with him. You remember Josh, he decided to disclose he suffered from some kind of palsy on his way out the transfer door because of the free throw incident.

Eric Clark - Terrific defender and a very kind, down to Earth person off the court. Took time with fans. Spoke with him several times.

Ricky Shields - Always seemed to come up big when we needed it. Great sense of humor. Walked right in front of me after the Iowa St. NIT game at MSG. I yelled, "That's Rick Shields BITCH!" and he started laughing hysterically. The old fart next to me gets snotty and scolds me when he sees an older woman walking behind him. Ricky stops and says, "That's my MOM and she loves that shit!". Good times.

Rashod Kent - An absolute UNIT under the basket. Took that talent to the NFL but he had some problems with the law. Loved his rallying the crowd in the game vs. The Smurfs when Marcus Toney-El tried to kill Mike Sherrod. He really got into the "Lane's (Darius) a Pu$$y" chant and gestured to the student section continuously because he knew it was getting to him.

Jason Maronge - Played nine whole minutes in his Rutgers career but they were some of the best I can remember for THAT era. Maronge was Wenzel's enforcer. Similar to a hockey goon. Wenzel would send him in, he'd deliver the message and get the foul and then quickley come back out. His crowning moment was putting Danny Hurley on his arrogant ass at mid court in a game where he just insisted on chirping at the RU bench. Maronge put a forearm shiv right in Danny's chest and he went down hard. Game had to be stopped for several minutes while he was tended to. He came back towards the end of the game but he wasn't chirping anymore.

Last edited:
I thought Hinson developed a better all around game from freshman to senior year than Bailey did, but both were among the best ever at RU.
Bailey was a little less effective his senior year, probably because of the coaching staff's decision to put him on a weight gain program after his junior season. The extra weight might have made him a little stronger, but he definitely lost a little bit of quickness and explosiveness compared to his junior year when he was lighter.

Herve Lamizana (still don't understand how he never got a shot in the NBA)
Corey Sanders
Ron Harper Jr
Cam Spencer
Quincy Douby

This is not easy.

In no particular order:

1) Geo Baker
2) John Battle
3) Earl Duncan
4) Tom Savage
5) Ron Harper Jr

Honorable Mention:
6) Roy Hinson
7) Eric Clark
8) Brent Dabbs
9) Geoff Billet
10) Cliff Omoruyi
11) Myles Johnson

Reactions: ScooterSports
Phil Sellers was the greatest player ever to play at Rutgers and it's not really close. But as far as favorites, along with Phil, I'm going with James Bailey (sorry Zap, he was a much better college player than Hinson), Quincy Douby, Rashod Kent, and Keith Hughes

Not gonna go way back to my student years of the early 70s. Here’s my 21st c. list:

In no order:
Joel Salvi
Rashod Kent
Geo Baker
Myles Mack

Edit: QD

Last edited:
My list just includes players I saw play:

Rashod Kent
Quincy Douby
Caleb McConnel
Herve L
Geo

Some of my faves over the years, not in order:
-Rob Hodgson - always on the floor!
-Sammy Sanders - he was athletic like Cliff, at least that’s how I remember him. Ended up not being great at BBall but I was excited to see that athleticism while he was here.
-Jeff Greer
-Caleb
- great hands, tough, actually has a pretty looking shot when his mechanics are in order. Unbreakable!
-“Good” Jacob Young was real fun to watch.
-Really starting to elevate Paul. It’s so important for this year’s team for him to play well and I enjoy him with the ball in his hand or spotting up for a trey.
Too early to judge other current players but could easily see adding Mag to this list. Cliff and Cam dark horses but also possible to be added.

I have to give this more thought but Phil Sellers, James, Bailey, Darius Griffin, Joel Salvi, Pete Marcotte, Anthony Duckett, A. Kolbasovsky, and Sean Axani quickly come to mind….aside from Sellers and Bailey, all “lunch-pail” types.

If I was going into a championship game, there is no one I would want more than Sellers on my team. He would rip your heart out to win a game. Griffin would come off the bench and single-handedly win games with his quickness and defense. IMO, he was quicker and much smarter than Young, but couldn’t really shoot. Duckett was barely 6’5” or 6’6” at best and played like he was 6’10”. This years team would win the B1G with Axani at the 4. He did all the dirty work and also scored inside.

Last edited:
-Really starting to elevate Paul. It’s so important for this year’s team for him to play well and I enjoy him with the ball in his hand or spotting up for a trey.
Yes, Paul is making a late surge. So many big personalities and players his first three years, hard to get recognized but still a lot more story to be written. (I'm assuming he'll come back for year 5.)

Jason Maronge - Played nine whole minutes in his Rutgers career but they were some of the best I can remember for THAT era. Maronge was Wenzel's enforcer. Similar to a hockey goon. Wenzel would send him in, he'd deliver the message and get the foul and then quickley come back out. His crowning moment was putting Danny Hurley on his arrogant ass at mid court in a game where he just insisted on chirping at the RU bench. Maronge put a forearm shiv right in Danny's chest and he went down hard. Game had to be stopped for several minutes while he was tended to. He came back towards the end of the game but he wasn't chirping anymore.
Poor man's Ramaj St. James.

This will date me but:
Bobby Lloyd
Jimmy Valvano
Vince Ciaglia (captain of 1962-63 team)
Bill Craft (My phys ed teacher at Hunterdon Central)
Mike Dabney

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Bob brought in some real flyer recruits towards the end. I almost forgot about that until you guys reminded me!
I found his student ID card once when he was Jamar Holcomb. One day I saw him at a bus-stop and returned it to him. With a high pitched Mike Tyson like voice he said something like, "Hey thanks man I appreciate it". Like another poster said about Alvydas Tenys, an extremely polite guy. Perhaps not the type that is comfortable or enjoys competing against others.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
ADVERTISEMENT