ADVERTISEMENT

Who are your top 5 all-time favorite RU players?

Roy Hinson
John Battle
James Bailey
Eric Riggins
Kelvin Troy
Honorable Mention: Douby, Kent, Harper, Geo, Myles Johnson & the current crew!

Reactions: shields
A true Bob Wenzel all star team. Robin James was the worst RU player I ever saw up until his SR season. All credit to him as he actually has a good Senior year.
Jones had talent. He just couldn't find the classroom when he was here. To be fair, Rutgers' class scheduling and the bus system could be plenty confusing back then. 😃

Chicken Kobolsovsky at Busch Dining Hall....we really did call it that...true story
I just remember in the media guide one year, he listed that as his favorite food - it stood out! Everyone else is saying lasagna, pizza, etc. Not Chicken Cutlets Kobol!

Reactions: runrutgersrun
1. Joel Salvi - the best energy guy (I’m also biased because he was my counselor at Kevin Bannon Basketball Camp, and I got to throw him ally-oops as a fifth grader)
2. Rashod Kent - 6’6 center in the best (IMO) iteration of the Big East
3. Jerome Coleman - would pull up for 3 on fast breaks before it was cool
4. Corey Sanders - baseline dunk to seal the MSG B1G Tourney game against Indiana was iconic
5. Quincy Douby - looked like he was floating as he casually put up 25 pts while double teamed

Honorable mentions: Ricky Shields (could do it all); Cliff (fastest dunker I’ve ever seen); Jacob Young (twitchiest athlete I’ve seen on Rutgers hardwood; dunk over Haarms to seal 2020 “tournament birth”); RHJ (clutch and underrated defender and elevator); Geo (ultimate closer)

I’m not old enough to have seen the guys whose numbers are in the rafters.

I’m have to assume the OP question doesn’t include players you haven’t seen…multiple answers don’t include Hinson which is beyond laughable
What about the fact that few mention Bobby Lloyd. He and Valvano really made Rutgers relevant in basketball. Who can ever forget when Rutgers went up against Southern Illinois and Walt Frazier in the NIT when the NIT was relevant?

Thought this would be a cool post to take a trip down memory lane. What’s your top 5?

It’ll be cool to see the different eras in this thread and hear any specifics on the older players that get name dropped.

I’ll kick it off:

1. Quincy Douby - remember this dude getting essentially triple teamed and still dropping 25 points? Quincy’s range was the craziest thing I’ve seen. Also the tampering attempts by multiple blue blood programs and him sticking with RU.

2. Ollie Bailey - I forget which year it was, maybe his junior year(?) he took such a massive leap. OB would straight up kill the rim any chance he got. I follow his business page on Instagram, doing workouts and training younger players. Not sure what his story is with RU, but would love to see him come back to the RAC someday soon.

3. Corey Sanders - dude was just electric. Loved his fight and what he did for RU, even down big in games he looked like he would never accept defeat until the clock hit 0. I remember watching his hometown hoops videos when he first committed, they were great.

4. Hamady N’Daiye - elite shot blocker. Was he the last RU player to get drafted? He was another one that took a massive leap later in his career after being so raw early on. I believe it was the hook shot that he developed pretty well.

5. Ant Farmer - tough one here for me, but I sat next to Farmer’s dad when I was a kid going to the games. Used to hang out and talk with him all the time, just a great great guy. Ant didn’t blow up the stat sheet, but I felt he was generally a steady player on the court in a time that seemed so up and down in the program.

Let’s hear from the board.
I think you might be confusing Ollie’s career with someone else’s. His first year was by far his best, then he scored about four points a game his second and third years before transferring out of division I. I think his first year was just pure heart because he seemed overmatched athletically.

It is just hard to pick a top five. Everyone of the starters of the 76 final four team — Jordan, Bailey, Copeland, Dabney, Sellers — would be deserving. Every one of them played with incredible fire. I would rather do a top 25.

I think you might be confusing Ollie’s career with someone else’s. His first year was by far his best, then he scored about four points a game his second and third years before transferring out of division I. I think his first year was just pure heart because he seemed overmatched athletically.

It is just hard to pick a top five. Everyone of the starters of the 76 final four team — Jordan, Bailey, Copeland, Dabney, Sellers — would be deserving. Every one of them played with incredible fire. I would rather do a top 25.
Wow you’re right. It was actually Adrian Hill that I was thinking of 😂 yikes.

Still loved Ollie though too

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Gotta name 6: Eddie (let's not forget what a GREAT player he was at RU) Dabney Sellers Battle Douby RHJ

I assume this is people we saw in person, which rules out the FF team for me (did watch them on TV some as a teen and always liked Bailey the most), so I'll go with:

Hinson
Battle
Kent
Douby
Harper

Next five would be: Savage, Hughes, G. Billet, Mack, Geo

Unless you're under 60 and not familar with the history of Rutgers basketball, no way you can leave Bobby Lloyd and Jimmy V off the list. They played together and were regarded by many as the BEST guard combo in the country, leading RU to the semis of their first national tournment ever. They put RU basketball on the map. If you think the RAC is loud, you should have been back at the Barn in those days. All male school, arena right on college ave campus, all male cheerleaders, lots and lots of beer. Vietnam war raging, brothers getting drafted, some never coming home. We knew it was our turn after graduation. the basketball team was our outlet. We made noise.

Roy Hinson would be the biggest difference maker on any team in Rutgers history.
Add him to any of Pikes tournament teams including Covid cancellation year and your looking at final 4.
Probably same goes for Bailey
Love Roy
In our dorm my roommates and I would play A game called Roy Hinson on a nerf net.
Only got points for shot blocks 😂

Reactions: shields
Geo baker
Akwasi yeboah
Rickey shields

I can’t think of another 2 to add.

Unless you're under 60 and not familar with the history of Rutgers basketball, no way you can leave Bobby Lloyd and Jimmy V off the list. They played together and were regarded by many as the BEST guard combo in the country, leading RU to the semis of their first national tournment ever. They put RU basketball on the map. If you think the RAC is loud, you should have been back at the Barn in those days. All male school, arena right on college ave campus, all male cheerleaders, lots and lots of beer. Vietnam war raging, brothers getting drafted, some never coming home. We knew it was our turn after graduation. the basketball team was our outlet. We made noise.
I grew up just 2 blocks away from "the Barn". I remember the year that they beat Penn State by 10 pts (the year before they were invited to the NIT). As they ran off of the court, Jimmy V. said to Bob Lloyd, "we're going to the NIT!" Sadly, it was another year before they went. They were an awesome combination to watch.

Like I said earlier in this forum, I'll never forget taking train with what's seemed like half of New Brunswick to travel to NYC to see Rutgers with Lloyd and Valvano play Southern Illinois and Walt Frazier in the NIT when the NIT rivaled the NCAA Tournament. I've often thought Cam Spencer's play reminded me of Lloyd.

Reactions: cRURah
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT