ADVERTISEMENT

Who does Cliff O remind you of (based on video)?

Knight Owl

All Conference
Jul 27, 2001
I say a young ‘The Admiral’ David Robinson...quick off his feet, excellent reach, shot blocker, rebounder, good hands finishing around the hoop, true center.

Reactions: RUinPAC10land
Roy Hinson. I played against Roy in high school and if I remember correctly he didn’t begin playing hoops until his junior year but you could see the raw talent oozing off of him as you do with BIG Cliff.
Also as my father who played pro ball as well as coached for 25 years would always say “you can’t teach height”.Skies the limit for Cliff and R U!

Roy Hinson. I played against Roy in high school and if I remember correctly he didn’t begin playing hoops until his junior year but you could see the raw talent oozing off of him as you do with BIG Cliff.
Also as my father who played pro ball as well as coached for 25 years would always say “you can’t teach height”.Skies the limit for Cliff and R U!

Roy was a defense player first, so without viewing old Hinson videos, Would tend to agree.

I don't think there is any way possible for Cliff to leave after one year at RU. I have seen him play at least a dozen times over the last 4 seasons. He has a lot to improve on in his offensive game. The sky is the limit for him.Steve & our staff will make certain that he develops on the offensive end.He is a very hard worker and we will see that over time.

He is going to help immediately on the defensive end. He has great feet and is very athletic for his size. The shot blocking is obvious but him in the open court hedging and guarding bigs who can shoot in the B1G is going to be a huge plus.

Reactions: RU82
Not going to put too much pressure on Cliff.. LOL..... Patrick Ewing

Ewing was a tremendous shot blocker in College and was only scratching the surface on his offensive game while in college and became a great offensive player in the NBA. His defense actually went a little backwards while in the NBA.

Cliff's upside is unlimited. Funny, I came to that conclusion when I watched him play in person in his "bad game" against the Patrick School at Kean in the Union County Final. Cliff still had about 10 rebounds and a few block shots and he struggled at the foul line(but showed the form that he has the potential to be a 75% foul shooter). Right now, his offensive game is raw.

Selfishly, I hope Cliff does not improve so much in his first year that he is ready for the NBA. I think if he keeps improving at the rate he has been going, I think at the end of his Sophomore year, he will be ready. Let's see how it all plays out.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: Knightmoves
Cliff has the natural athletic talent to become a dominant big on the college level. But he needs some serious coaching up, and not just of the offensive side of the ball. Watching his highlight reels I spotted numerous fundamental misplays on the defensive end. It’s going to take some time. But he’ll give us lots of blocked shots and spectacular dunks while he’s getting it all figured out.

I like the Capela comparisons. He is going to be really good.

Nowhere near the polish of The Admiral even in those clips.
Robinson averaged 7.6 ppg and 4.0 rpg as a freshman at Navy. I would expect similar numbers from CO as a frosh.

I would guess 6 ppg and 5 rpg. I think CO needs to work on FT’s.

Last edited:
I cant believe we are having these conversations and the above comparisons !!
..............................................:WooHoo:.................................................
Thank YOU coach Pike!
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

Cliff shot only 1 of 6 on foul shots in the Union County final against The Patrick School but in 12 times watching him over 4 seasons he usually shot free throws at between 70-75 %. I think he just had a bad game that day but he turned everything around in the state tournament game when Roselle Catholic defeated The Patrick School. He dominated in that game.

Reactions: wheezer
Roy Hinson and Hamady are the two best comparisons I’ve seen.

I love having CO here but I think he’ll be pushed around this year and is very far from ready for the NBA.

Michigan has Hunter “you can call me Bruce because I need more cowbell” Dickinson coming in (rated slightly higher than CO). Has a modern-NBA-style ‘5’ inside and outside game and is a large human being...
Once CO learns some go to moves in the post and develops some midrange game he’ll be an offensive force. Until then he’ll need to concentrate on playing solid D against BigTen big men and rebounding...
I’ve noticed CO is already adept at finishing with either hand so he can use his quickness to score around the hoop.

Michigan has Hunter “you can call me Bruce because I need more cowbell” Dickinson coming in (rated slightly higher than CO). Has a modern-NBA-style ‘5’ inside and outside game and is a large human being...
Once CO learns some go to moves in the post and develops some midrange game he’ll be an offensive force. Until then he’ll need to concentrate on playing solid D against BigTen big men and rebounding...
I’ve noticed CO is already adept at finishing with either hand so he can use his quickness to score around the hoop.
Typical player on Michigan roster that gives us fits. Great.

Typical player on Michigan roster that gives us fits. Great.

These are the types of kids we are better suited to guard now. Cliff has exceptional foot speed and athleticism and is very long. He can guard those type of guys well beyond the paint.

And Izzo has recruited another stiff center. By stiff I mean rated as 7th center in this class. Good news is that the other dudes rated ahead of CO in his class will be in the ACC(3), PAC12(1) or NBA (1).

These are the types of kids we are better suited to guard now. Cliff has exceptional foot speed and athleticism and is very long. He can guard those type of guys well beyond the paint.
But they play like 4 of them at a time with a quick PG.

David Robinson is a bit a stretch to say the least. I like him to be a Mitchell Robinson/ Cappella type rim running shot blocker.

David Robinson is a bit a stretch to say the least. I like him to be a Mitchell Robinson/ Cappella type rim running shot blocker.
Robinson developed his game bigly at Navy playing against unathletic and small centers...plus he grew like 4 inches after high-school. Truth is David Robinson probably wouldn’t be a HOF’er if he played today. Good NBA centers are more complete players these days.

ADVERTISEMENT