ADVERTISEMENT

Who else was at RU (taking classes)

Senior in HS. Started RU in the fall of '91 so men's hoops has never been to NCAA since our class started on campus. Including student + alum years, our class has gone the longest possible without a bid in that time. 30 years is a long time coming.

Graduated RC in ‘85 and RU Law in ‘88. 1991 was the first year my wife and I had season tickets, which we still have today. I’ll never forget the 1989 A-10 championship win over PSU, still probably the best and loudest game I ever attended at the RAC.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
I was there from 89 through 92, and played in the pep band in Atlanta (thus the name). It was a great four year period.

Reactions: bac2therac
Sophomore year for me.
Thought we would go back to NCAAs next year. Well my son is now the same age I was the last time we went.

Graduated in 1990, but was in the building for the 1989 Atlantic 10 final. Then watched in horror on TV the following week as BJ Armstrong torched us in the opening round game against Iowa.

Was in first year of law school in 1991, but snuck away from my studies to watch our opening round loss to ASU.

Go figure, I escaped in '90.
Yep, 90 grad too. Enjoyed the great run in 89 that saw me get hammered by several exams in the College of Engineering because of the distraction. I still have the tape of our win over Temple in the A10 semi when I can be seen running onto the floor of the Palestra after the win when Craig Carter drove the lane and scored in the air like he was pedaling a bike. (A classic Chaney meltdown post game. RIP, Coach.)
I had Earl Duncan in a 1.5 credit Chem elective in 89-90. I helped him a bit. Told me to come to one of his parties but never did.

Was a junior. Drove down to Atlanta with my future wife. We were up 9 midway into the 2H, and I started looking for 2nd round tix.

I have been one of those angry RU fans over the past 30 years. Hopefully in 1 week, I will be at peace

Wow , what a long time ago that was between tournament appearances . If you were at rutgers then you’re an old timer pushing or in your 50s now ! Another 30 year drought and in the 80s!!
please make tournament more often

You damn youngsters.
Missed '91 by 15 years.
Oh yeah, nothing special happened in '76, right?

Rutgers was a basketball school then.
Only went to a couple of football games my entire four years.
The stadium was old school beautiful with the hill behind the south endzone.
But relatively empty
But wasn't easy to get in to the Bball games on College Ave.
The Big Ten Network piece on the '76 final four team brought back some very fond memories.

My son was at Cook for the Ray Rice/Brian Leonard years.
He and his friends were at all the football games but never went to Bball games
Now we have a chance to be good in both

Last edited:
@gef21 What did your dad teach?
He was a professor of music theory, and at one point an associate dean, for 40 years there. Retired a few years ago. One of the few professors who was 100 percent on the side of sports. He was a college basketball player.

Yep, 90 grad too. Enjoyed the great run in 89 that saw me get hammered by several exams in the College of Engineering because of the distraction. I still have the tape of our win over Temple in the A10 semi when I can be seen running onto the floor of the Palestra after the win when Craig Carter drove the lane and scored in the air like he was pedaling a bike. (A classic Chaney meltdown post game. RIP, Coach.)
I had Earl Duncan in a 1.5 credit Chem elective in 89-90. I helped him a bit. Told me to come to one of his parties but never did.

I covered the RU/Temple game at the Palestra for the Targum, and I was in the press room when Chaney had that meltdown about the refs. Thought he was going to stroke out.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
ADVERTISEMENT