ADVERTISEMENT

Who Will Win ? Ashnault or Kolodzik - COULD BE REALLY CLOSE

Racpack

Senior
Jan 21, 2012
#2 – #4 Anthony Ashnault (Rutgers) versus #14 Matt Kolodzik (Princeton) – 141, November 19th, at Rutgers

At the 2015 Junior world team trials, Ashnault dominated Kolodzik, eventually locking up a cradle to get the fall. At last year’s Midlands, however, a redshirting Kolodzik initially exacted his revenge, knocking off Ashnault, 11-4, in the round of 16, but the two met again in the consolation semi-finals with Ashnault winning, 3-2. This budding rivalry will be renewed outside in High Point Solutions Stadium as Rutgers and Princeton face-off at the Battle at the Birthplace. Ashnault was fourth in the country last year and will be looking to defend his position as a title contender. Kolodzik will be looking to build his resume at the varsity level and serve notice to everyone that he will be there at the end of the year as well.

Its a huge match-up and will say a lot about the development that is going on inside these programs. Unfortunately, it may say a little bit less because it is happening so early in the season.

Its a huge match-up and will say a lot about the development that is going on inside these programs. Unfortunately, it may say a little bit less because it is happening so early in the season.
FYI - Responding to first message. Ivy League schools do not redshirt in any sport . If Kolodzik didn't use eligibility last year, he would have a 5th year as graduate transfer.

FYI - Responding to first message. Ivy League schools do not redshirt in any sport . If Kolodzik didn't use eligibility last year, he would have a 5th year as graduate transfer.
Kolodzik did not enroll at Princeton last year, but competed in open tournaments. While the Ivy's do not redshirt, they find ways to get around the "Ivy no redshirt" rule. Cornell wrestlers go to Community College(in Ithaca) the first year after graduating High School and then enroll at Cornell. Penn has had plenty of 5th year wrestlers, some have wrestled their first two or three years, then don't enroll for a year, then come back and wrestle their remaining years.

Reactions: andegre and obrats
He didn't Red Shirt last year, he deferred his college entry. It sometimes is refereed to as a "Grey Shirt", Cornell does it a lot with their guys, they spend a year wrestling at Finger Lakes Wrestling Club (RTC).

Reactions: Jersey Boys

Usually referred to as a "grey shirt" when speaking about Ivy League schools. The student/recruit will defer enrollment to the school for one year and focus on athletics and wrestle unattached, thus effectively making it a red shirt year since the NCAA clock hasn't begun. Not sure if Kolodzik did this, but it's been done for other Ivy league wrestlers.

Edit: Didn't see Obrat's post until after.

He didn't Red Shirt last year, he deferred his college entry. It sometimes is refereed to as a "Grey Shirt", Cornell does it a lot with their guys, they spend a year wrestling at Finger Lakes Wrestling Club (RTC).
Yes, grey shirt is different. When I saw redshirt, I assumed he was at Princeton and wrestling unattached. Ivies get around a lot of rules, but one they don't bend on is 4 years of eligibility. You see a lot of Ivy distance runners compete at D1 schools for one year as grad students. I follow running more closely, so not sure if it happens in other sports.

Kolodzik is good enough to be a 4x ALL AMERICAN. Facing Meredith and Kolodziak in a 2 week span is quite a way for Ashnault to open the season. It can only make him better.

PS- Meredith was 2nd last year at 141, Ashnault 4th. Heck of an opening match.

Yes, grey shirt is different. When I saw redshirt, I assumed he was at Princeton and wrestling unattached. Ivies get around a lot of rules, but one they don't bend on is 4 years of eligibility. You see a lot of Ivy distance runners compete at D1 schools for one year as grad students. I follow running more closely, so not sure if it happens in other sports.

Well. They kind of bend on it by allowing kids to not enroll and then re-enroll. You think any other Cornell student are skipping their junior year to attend county college? Anyone else would never in a million years be permitted to "re-enroll."

Actually, plenty of kids leave and re-enroll or defer acceptance. The difference is they are superior students and are not doing making decisions based on what's best for an athletic team. With the exception of football, the Ivies are playing on exactly the same field regarding aid/scholarship as any other D1 program. In many cases for Olympic sports, Ivies have a signicant advantage. A top XC runner at CBA, who is a good (not great) student would get a much better package from Princeton than he would from Rutgers.

Reactions: obrats
In any case, we will keep the seat warm for him (ala Caruso). $$$$

Last edited:
Actually, plenty of kids leave and re-enroll or defer acceptance. The difference is they are superior students and are not doing making decisions based on what's best for an athletic team. With the exception of football, the Ivies are playing on exactly the same field regarding aid/scholarship as any other D1 program. In many cases for Olympic sports, Ivies have a signicant advantage. A top XC runner at CBA, who is a good (not great) student would get a much better package from Princeton than he would from Rutgers.

Wcicci-great point on the Olympic Sports...drives me nuts when someone says they have no Scholarships and they are beating teams with 9.9 Schollys!!! They have such great financial packages they are most times at an advantage(as long as the student can get admitted).

Ash certainly doesn't have an easy start to the season. My guess is he gets the initial takedown and wins away like 5-2. Ash has picked up his game since that ugly loss to Thorn and finished the season wrestling at a very high level. He will be ready to roll.

Reactions: obrats
ADVERTISEMENT