ADVERTISEMENT

Who will win the 2018 World Cup?

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
Today is the official start of the 2018 World Cup, so in honor the start we spoke with some of the top players on the Men’s soccer team to see who they think can win it all. Who do you think has the best chance?

STORY HERE

Cool article. I'd personally like to see Belgium do well. They have an incredible team for a country with a smaller population than Ohio. In the end, though, I think the cream will rise to the top - Germany, Spain, Brazil, maybe France. I'll go with Spain.

Cool article. I'd personally like to see Belgium do well. They have an incredible team for a country with a smaller population than Ohio. In the end, though, I think the cream will rise to the top - Germany, Spain, Brazil, maybe France. I'll go with Spain.

Surprising to see no more comments on this! Germany is out, failing to make the round of 16. France is already through to the Elite 8. Brazil hasn't yet played its game in the round of 16 but looked stronger in each successive game during the opening round.

As for Spain, I just returned from there last night and got to see their 3 first round games as they were on screens everywhere, as you might expect. Though I was rooting for them, I have to say that they were very lucky to make it through to the round of 16. They got there due to a recalled goal by Iran in their second game, turning a tie into a victory and two more points, and by a miraculous late goal against Morocco to pull out a win in a game in which it played rather poorly. As I write they are locked in a tie with host Russia in the round of 16. Hopefully, they'll pull it out again. But so far, they haven't looked like potential champions.

Uruguay has acquitted very well in its four games thus far, eliminating Portugal yesterday and sweeping the first round. It wouldn't surprise me to see an Uruguay - Belgium final, or perhaps an Uruguay - Brazil final in a reprise of the 1950 World Cup championship game, though this time on a neutral field.

Spain gone with Zportugsl and Argentina watching the rest on TV. I say France wins. I hated the way Spain played not to score. They deserved to lose to a weak Russia team.

Spain gone with Zportugsl and Argentina watching the rest on TV. I say France wins. I hated the way Spain played not to score. They deserved to lose to a weak Russia team.

Spain took 20 shots. They outplayed Russia by a ton but just couldn’t find the net. Russia played everyone back and made runs.

Surprising to see no more comments on this! Germany is out, failing to make the round of 16. France is already through to the Elite 8. Brazil hasn't yet played its game in the round of 16 but looked stronger in each successive game during the opening round.

As for Spain, I just returned from there last night and got to see their 3 first round games as they were on screens everywhere, as you might expect. Though I was rooting for them, I have to say that they were very lucky to make it through to the round of 16. They got there due to a recalled goal by Iran in their second game, turning a tie into a victory and two more points, and by a miraculous late goal against Morocco to pull out a win in a game in which it played rather poorly. As I write they are locked in a tie with host Russia in the round of 16. Hopefully, they'll pull it out again. But so far, they haven't looked like potential champions.

Uruguay has acquitted very well in its four games thus far, eliminating Portugal yesterday and sweeping the first round. It wouldn't surprise me to see an Uruguay - Belgium final, or perhaps an Uruguay - Brazil final in a reprise of the 1950 World Cup championship game, though this time on a neutral field.

Whole big thread on it here:

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-official-2018-world-cup-thread.146048

Thanks. I hadn't looked at that when I returned this weekend.

The Rivals board started to be blocked sometime after I arrived in Spain (February 1), evidently due to a US law that required corporations or other entities to comply with some sort regulation before they could function in a foreign country. Not at all clear to me what that was but I also couldn't access the B1G website along with a few others.

Uruguay and France both have some players who can take over a game -

This France team is what the USA team would look like if we had some of our better athletes playing the sport. They are big, strong and fast.

No Cavani will be tough to overcome for Uruguay in their next game, but if they could pull out the win and then get a rested cavani back for the semifinal game - look out

ADVERTISEMENT