ADVERTISEMENT

Who Won the Right-Coach Hire Btn MD and RU?

RUSK97

Heisman Winner
Dec 28, 2007
CNJ
Two fresh faces in the B1G, two fired incumbent coaches, two new hires in Durkin and Ash. The question from the very getgo was who got it right?

Four months ago, it was clearly Maryland. Come June, it was clearly Rutgers. It’s mid-September...what’s the answer now?

Two fresh faces in the B1G, two fired incumbent coaches, two new hires in Durkin and Ash. The question from the very getgo was who got it right?

Four months ago, it was clearly Maryland. Come June, it was clearly Rutgers. It’s mid-September...what’s the answer now?
Minnesota got it right...brought on the right QB from IMG without spending a scholarship and has a HC with a dynamic personality and already has 20+ mid tier FBS level recruits committed

Reactions: TonyVolt
To date, only way you can say Marryland’s hire was better is if they get to fire him with cause.
Right now, they look like a majority of poor P5 school’s hires. A swing and miss

Explain please?
Have you heard how dynamic of a guy Fleck is? He exudes confidence and charisma in his press conferences and is clearly doing something right on the recruiting trail...and his starting QB is a true frosh who was the kid at IMG last season who took Sitkowskis job...and they are still 3-0 with a true frosh walk on QB...

Maryland worse hire . Ash didn’t kill anyone or embarrass the university off the field . He’s kinda like terry shea, a good guy who seems to be doing his best. Just not a good fit here.

Minnesota got it right...brought on the right QB from IMG without spending a scholarship and has a HC with a dynamic personality and already has 20+ mid tier FBS level recruits committed

That’s the Coach we should have hired.

That’s the Coach we should have hired.
Or at least someone like him, someone who had experience as a HC and had an established assistant coaching pool to pull from, not the hodge podge collection of FCS assistants Ash pull in...

Ummm Ash. Durkin sounds despicable and I’d be ashamed if I was a grad

You're entitled to your opinion, and I don't know the man well enough personally to swear on a stack of Klingon bibles that he's not "despicable." But I would have to ask you what you "know" about him and what you "know" it from. If it's mostly from that ESPN article and the narrative put out by Bill Murphy, esq. (which are one and the same, not by accident), I would suggest the possibility that maybe you don't know as much as you think you do. Nor do I.

Most of the players and their parents have been vocal and non-anonymous about wanting him back on the sidelines. Nobody has found any reasons or incidents that even come close to a basis for firing him with cause. Think about that for a second.

He's not coming back, I don't think, and that's what's best for the university at this point. But are you sure you know him and what happened last spring better than the people who have close contact with him and are there every day? I don't know that answer for myself, I'm waiting to hear what the commissions have to say, but I'm not foolish enough to take the word of a sensationalist reporter and an aggressive lawyer as gospel.

https://www.murphyfalcon.com/lp/athlete-injured-due-to-coaching-at-umd/?utm_source=Facebook

Last edited:
Reactions: ruready07
Or at least someone like him, someone who had experience as a HC and had an established assistant coaching pool to pull from, not the hodge podge collection of FCS assistants Ash pull in...
What pool? The RU/Schiano pool because that's about the only pool he swam in. It's all he knows because he hasn't been around coaching everywhere as he grew up in the profession.

He still hasn't done anything and again even if he has a good year, well that's about all you say. Brohm had a good year last year and how's his start this year. Takes time to see consistency.

I'm not a fan of his but I've said at best he gets to the level of Kill/Claeys. He's improved Minnesota if he gets past that and I'm not sure he will but we'll see in time.

Can we wait until he accomplishes something at Minnesota? I also find it ironic that everyone wants him when his staff is filled with coaches this board said sucked and wanted run out of here.
But wait wait wait isn't that the RU fans/Jersey way. The other guy is always the cream of the crop

Reactions: RUhobbit
What pool? The RU/Schiano pool because that's about the only pool he swam in. It's all he knows because he hasn't been around coaching everywhere as he grew up in the profession.

He still hasn't done anything and again even if he has a good year, well that's about all you say. Brohm had a good year last year and how's his start this year. Takes time to see consistency.

I'm not a fan of his but I've said at best he gets to the level of Kill/Claeys. He's improved Minnesota if he gets past that and I'm not sure he will but we'll see in time.

Not sure he would have been my first choice but clearly better than what we have. I don't care for some of his antics but I can overlook them given that he seems to have things heading in the right direction and there is positive buzz. Also what he did at WMU was an impressive resume builder which makes him a little less risky with the step up.

Not to mention, if he has any sniff of success he’s gone ASAP from there. I know for a fact he “accepted” another job prior to Minnesota and then bolted because he felt Minnesota was less of a project.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Not to mention, if he has any sniff of success he’s gone ASAP from there. I know for a fact he “accepted” another job prior to Minnesota and then bolted because he felt Minnesota was less of a project.
That's not a surprise. Didn't he accept the HC job or OC job at his alma mater NIU and then abruptly leave when Schiano offered him a position coach job at TB. The guy seems like a used car salesman more than most college HCs but people eat it up. I'm sure he'll be 'rowing the boat" anywhere he goes lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: cicero grimes
You're entitled to your opinion, and I don't know the man well enough personally to swear on a stack of Klingon bibles that he's not "despicable." But I would have to ask you what you "know" about him and what you "know" it from. If it's mostly from that ESPN article and the narrative put out by Bill Murphy, esq. (which are one and the same, not by accident), I would suggest the possibility that maybe you don't know as much as you think you do. Nor do I.

Most of the players and their parents have been vocal and non-anonymous about wanting him back on the sidelines. Nobody has found any reasons or incidents that even come close to a basis for firing him with cause. Think about that for a second.

He's not coming back, I don't think, and that's what's best for the university at this point. But are you sure you know him and what happened last spring better than the people who have close contact with him and are there every day? I don't know that answer for myself, I'm waiting to hear what the commissions have to say, but I'm not foolish enough to take the word of a sensationalist reporter and an aggressive lawyer as gospel.
To be clear, you do see I wrote “sounds” not “is”. The sounds is based on the reporting. You wrote a whole lot about words that weren’t mine

rutgers lost when they didnt hire Schiano or Fleck..
went on the cheap again,and this is the results.
Fleck wins after the first check point.
Can Ash recruit? answer NO.
Can Fleck recruit? answer YES.
then ago all the experts here said Fleck was too "gimmicky:..
he was Schaino lite...blahha blaa.bla..
how you like those gimmicks now?
Ash puts people to sleep when he speaks .ZERO energy created.

Last edited:
You are giving Fleck WAY too much credit on this QB situation.
  • He didn't bring in "the right QB from IMG". Zack Annexstad is a Minnesota kid who was dying to play for the Gophers.

• If anything, Fleck almost f**ked up the situation and could have missed getting a QB that dropped into his lap. He made what looks like a solid B1G QB come as a walk-on and risked losing him to one of the other schools that DID offer him a scholarship. He had a loyalty to his state school unlike most NJ recruits, but $100,000 in free college is not insignificant and Fleck never should have risked losing him to someone like Pitt who offered a scholarship.

Reactions: RUhobbit
rutgers lost when they didnt hire Schiano or Fleck..
went on the cheap again,and this is the results.
Fleck wins after the first check point.
Can Ash recruit? answer NO.
Can Fleck recruit? answer YES.
Wasn’t there a story that fleck had an inappropriate relationship with a prominent Rutgers booster, so he wouldn’t have been hired? I’m not trying to start internet gossip but I do recall something like this. I hope I’m wrong actually

Wasn’t there a story that fleck had an inappropriate relationship with a prominent Rutgers booster, so he wouldn’t have been hired? I’m not trying to start internet gossip but I do recall something like this. I hope I’m wrong actually
ummmnn wow..you are making your own false gossip
he had a alleged relationship with a western michigan boosters wife and was divorced oh the HORRORS.
BTW.. Ash is divorced and re married now to his second wife,kids from first wife.and Rutgers hired him!
and bottom line =WHO cares?
also the female involved filed a lawsuit claiming it was false,message board made up nonsense..IM shocked!
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...stern_michigan_booster_sues_message_boar.html

That's not a surprise. Didn't he accept the HC job or OC job at his alma mater NIU and then abruptly leave when Schiano offered him a position coach job at TB. The guy seems like a used car salesman more than most college HCs but people eat it up. I'm sure he'll be 'rowing the boat" anywhere he goes lol.

That’s the thing with coaches these days ... they make you spend millions plastering their sayings all over the campus and adjusting facilities, only to be fired or leave at the first sign of success . Lol

Reactions: rutgersguy1
That’s the thing with coaches these days ... they make you spend millions plastering their sayings all over the campus and adjusting facilities, only to be fired or leave at the first sign of success . Lol
wait , I thought the used car salesman tag was on Franklin? Now its on Fleck?
Funny,they both win wherever they go..
maybe thats not a bad thing,this salesman tag?
Doubt Ash could sell a used car since he cant sell a recruit...

Doubt Ash could sell a used car since he cant sell a recruit...

Oh I’m talking about coaches all across the country. From high school to college . It’s all smoke.
The ones who succeed would have most likely succeeded anyway minus the makeup and clown show

He is too but I think Franklin seems to demonstrate being a good executive CEO type coach. His assistant hires outside of Donovan have been solid to date. I don't see him stuck in his coaching bubble like Fleck (RU/Schiano). He obviously recruits well and he won at Vandy (even if the schedule may have been lighter, still a tough place to win).

Fleck win wherever he's gone? Where exactly has he been? He did a nice job at WMU and that's it. How did Hoke do at Michigan after Ball State and SDSU and he recruited well there too from I remember. Fleck is 3-0 in his 2nd season, that's it and had a losing season his first year. Season isn't even done and even it's a good year again that's it. Minnesota has won 8-9 games and 4+ conference games 3 out of the 4 years before Fleck got there. He has to improve on that to say he's improved Minnesota and IMO that's about his ceiling so status quo but I'm not even sure he'll get that. We'll see in time.

Yes he did.

He is too but I think Franklin seems to demonstrate being a good executive CEO type coach. His assistant hires outside of Donovan have been solid to date. I don't see him stuck in his coaching bubble like Fleck (RU/Schiano). He obviously recruits well and he won at Vandy (even if the schedule may have been lighter, still a tough place to win).

Fleck win wherever he's gone? Where exactly has he been? He did a nice job at WMU and that's it. How did Hoke do at Michigan after Ball State and SDSU and he recruited well there too from I remember. Fleck is 3-0 in his 2nd season, that's it and had a losing season his first year. Season isn't even done and even it's a good year again that's it. Minnesota has won 8-9 games and 4+ conference games 3 out of the 4 years before Fleck got there. He has to improve on that to say he's improved Minnesota and IMO that's about his ceiling so status quo but I'm not even sure he'll get that. We'll see in time.
dont forget Fleck inherited a mess at Minny,players quit the previous coach ,sexual assault investigation.Funny he has overcome that,just like Franklin at State Penn. http://www.startribune.com/universi...-gophers-in-alleged-sexual-assault/412735183/
Fleck ..his gimmicky,Schiano lite approach has quickly rebuilt the Gophers.Previous head Coaching experience,NFL experience.
Big mistake by Hobbs not hiring Fleck or Schiano..one RU will pay for years down the road.

Reactions: G- RUnit
dont forget Fleck inherited a mess at Minny,players quit the previous coach ,sexual assault investigation.Funny he has overcome that,just like Franklin at State Penn. http://www.startribune.com/universi...-gophers-in-alleged-sexual-assault/412735183/
Fleck ..his gimmicky,Schiano lite approach has quickly rebuilt the Gophers.Previous head Coaching experience,NFL experience.
Big mistake by Hobbs not hiring Fleck or Schiano..one RU will pay for years down the road.
I think @koleszar has mentioned that's not as big a mess as it's made out to be and he went into how many player were actually lost. I'm not as familiar with the topic.

If Minnesota coming off like 8 wins with a handful of kids quitting is a mess, I’d love to know how you defined RU. I’m not defending Ash here but the situations were nothing alike.

If Minnesota coming off like 8 wins with a handful of kids quitting is a mess, I’d love to know how you defined RU. I’m not defending Ash here but the situations were nothing alike.
its still similar,kids thrown off team,some quit,sexual assault investigation,coach dropped.thats a recruiting bonus for Gophers?
Fleck won five games in year one after sexual assault invest,loss of players.10 players came off the roster.
Fleck can recruit.
Ash can NOT recruit.

dont forget Fleck inherited a mess at Minny,players quit the previous coach ,sexual assault investigation.Funny he has overcome that,just like Franklin at State Penn.
No he didn't, the original suspensions occurred after the Iowa game that year. They then proceeded to go 5-2. Then 10 players player's were suspended for the bowl game against Washington St.(8-4) they had the boycott but decided to play and they won 17-13. Out of all those suspended only 4 were expelled. Some 20 players were accused in this assault. They went 9-4 (5-4 B1G) that year.

its still similar,kids thrown off team,some quit,sexual assault investigation,coach dropped.thats a recruiting bonus for Gophers?
Fleck won five games in year one after sexual assault invest,loss of players.10 players came off the roster.
Fleck can recruit.
Ash can NOT recruit.
Hmmm...how many players has Ash lost?

ADVERTISEMENT