ADVERTISEMENT

Whoa, B1G expansion

Would be a good move, the B1G brand coast to coast .
USC (12-16) & UCLA (18-13) won't make B1G WBB much better , but it will give it a bigger audience.

Would be a good move, the B1G brand coast to coast .
USC (12-16) & UCLA (18-13) won't make B1G WBB much better , but it will give it a bigger audience.
UCLA isn't a bad WBB program, a bit up and down, but actually should be solid. USC has just not found their footing.

One of the problems they both face is they don't draw in LA.

Both have variably good Women's Volleyball, at least a tradition. USC does not play softball, however, UCLA is consistently a top softball program, has the most wins all time. Their softball fans are not cool. One of the UCLA donors actually got ejected from a Softball World Series a few years ago, when he basically told a player that had been injured the prior day that he hoped she got injured again. The usher immediately reported him.

It’s just a money move…I suppose no one will lament the loss of rivalries like back in 2011 and 2012. College sports was better with the more regionalized conferences, but that is moot…and long dead…at least RU is not outside looking in.

It’s just a money move…I suppose no one will lament the loss of rivalries like back in 2011 and 2012. College sports was better with the more regionalized conferences, but that is moot…and long dead…at least RU is not outside looking in.
it's sad but the time for regional conferences has passed.
Now building a national brand is what conferences want because of the TV revenue that comes with it has passed.
regional rivalries are becoming extinct little by little in OOC schedules because of conference commitments

it's sad but the time for regional conferences has passed.
Now building a national brand is what conferences want because of the TV revenue that comes with it has passed.
regional rivalries are becoming extinct little by little in OOC schedules because of conference commitments
True…college sports frankly is becoming more and more like pro sports and the appeal to many is lost. When it becomes the same B1G and the same SEC teams over and over, there will be whining about unfairness and other such nonesense. Here’s hoping RU becomes more than just a check-cashed in the sports that frankly matter.

Link to article from out west on this matter. Another article is behind a pay wall, and Tara VanDerveer the women's BB coach is not happy with the new news.
Her comment, "
For football, the positives are obvious: a whole lot of money. For almost everything else except for men’s basketball, it gets tricky.

“I mean, this might be great for football, I just have a hard time seeing how it can really play out in a positive way,” said Stanford women’s basketball coach Tara VanDerveer in an interview with The Chronicle. “Just as an example, playing three time zones away. … We just have to figure out how it is going to impact basketball and to keep basketball relevant on the West Coast, with great players, and figure out ways how it’s going to work for us.”

Both UCLA and USC can escape financial penalty by leaving the conference in 2024, after the Pac-12 television rights, of which they are tied to, expire following the 2022-23 school year. The loss of two flagship programs significantly decreases the worth of a television deal for the Pac-12, whose biggest schools are now Oregon and Washington. The revenue loss could have a stark impact on women’s and non-revenue programs across remaining Pac-12 schools.

This might just be the start and I wonder if the UofA and ASU AD's are looking at the Big 12 to place their programs.
I doubt USC &UCLA will be the only PAC schools that leave .
It might be farfetched for me to feel, despite her being a little pissed at those LA programs , Tara might be coaching conference games 3 time zones away once all the dust is settled

ADVERTISEMENT