ADVERTISEMENT

Who's our Point Guard?

To my other point, line ups with both of them in them probably also played at the slowest pace.

As I said, the CViv/Schiano defense.... you can't score if you don't have the ball.

Still, pace also comes down to efficiency, too.... if you're allowing fewer points per minute, a slower pace with the same efficiency would also be scoring fewer points. If you allow fewer points per minute, but score the same points per minute.... you're doing something right.

The plus side of Paul after folks have pushed his negatives: sees the floor extremely well; not very good on ball defender but he is good help defender provided he doesn’t extend too much; will tangle underneath effectively; scrapper, upbeat, hustler, floor-burn guy ready to step into team leadership role.

Reactions: Eagleton96
As I said, the CViv/Schiano defense.... you can't score if you don't have the ball.

Still, pace also comes down to efficiency, too.... if you're allowing fewer points per minute, a slower pace with the same efficiency would also be scoring fewer points. If you allow fewer points per minute, but score the same points per minute.... you're doing something right.
Not sure about the efficiency piece. I was thinking more that our time of possession was probably longer with Caleb and Paul in the game together - and not necessarily because we were efficient. Those were the offensive sets that we drained down the shot clock whereas JY often tried to beat everyone down the court to get a quick shot off. That would play a role in the number of attempts that were available to get to the point total during the time frame.

Not sure about the efficiency piece. I was thinking more that our time of possession was probably longer with Caleb and Paul in the game together - and not necessarily because we were efficient. Those were the offensive sets that we drained down the shot clock whereas JY often tried to beat everyone down the court to get a quick shot off. That would play a role in the number of attempts that were available to get to the point total during the time frame.

My meaning was if Offense A always takes the full shot clock, and Offense B always gets shots off within the first 10 seconds.... and they score the same points per minute.... then Offense A is more efficient than Offense B, scoring the same number of points in the same amount of time, but on fewer possessions.

My meaning was if Offense A always takes the full shot clock, and Offense B always gets shots off within the first 10 seconds.... and they score the same points per minute.... then Offense A is more efficient than Offense B, scoring the same number of points in the same amount of time, but on fewer possessions.
I would define efficiency as points per possession not points per minute. If team A takes a lot of quick shots but scores at a lower rate than team B that uses all the clock, which team is more efficient? Team B.

Yes, that's what I'm saying.
Sorry I didn’t fully digest your post. What you said was right I guess. If they both score the same points per minute and one scores more often, then I guess that’s more efficient.

I get it. But it’s hard to draw that kind of conclusion when you have a volatile player like JY in the mix who went through stretches of inexplicable wtf decisions that are factoring into the averages when he’s on the floor (on both sides of the ball) that have nothing to do with Paul’s play or Caleb’s.

The common denominator though on all the data you provided is that by the end of the season is that Caleb was a part of virtually all of our best defensive line ups.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUChoppin
I will just reiterate that we were a tournament team in 2019-20 and Jacob Young was not good for most of the year. He won us the Maryland game but was terrible against Michigan twice, really bad at Iowa, and made a bad decision that kept him from playing at Maryland. And those were four winnable games. Without him it's possible we win one of those and lose against Maryland, so basically evens out. (Obviously he didn't play at Maryland and we lost, but you get my gist).

He also nearly cost us the Bryant game with six turnovers (rest of the team had nine total).

We beat Seton Hall, Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, and Illinois without him playing particularly well (ORtg below 80 in those five games).

Point guard is not my worry for next season. Cliff filling Myles' shoes and Hyatt/whoever (Mag, Jones, Palmquist) filling the role Yeboah played on that team are bigger concerns at this point.

Reactions: toby83
I will just reiterate that we were a tournament team in 2019-20 and Jacob Young was not good for most of the year. He won us the Maryland game but was terrible against Michigan twice, really bad at Iowa, and made a bad decision that kept him from playing at Maryland. And those were four winnable games. Without him it's possible we win one of those and lose against Maryland, so basically evens out. (Obviously he didn't play at Maryland and we lost, but you get my gist).

He also nearly cost us the Bryant game with six turnovers (rest of the team had nine total).

We beat Seton Hall, Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, and Illinois without him playing particularly well (ORtg below 80 in those five games).

Point guard is not my worry for next season. Cliff filling Myles' shoes and Hyatt/whoever (Mag, Jones, Palmquist) filling the role Yeboah played on that team are bigger concerns at this point.
I agree. I also think Caleb (outside of his shooting woes) showed himself to be a better overall player in 2020-21 which lessens the need from massive strides from the Hyatt/whoever category.

If we were apples to apples compare to 19-20 I'd agree it is all about Cliff filling Myles shoes. Not sure I'd call Jacob anything more than a mild net positive.

How is this even a discussion?

When Paul Mulcahy committed all I read on here was how he was going to set records, there weren't 50 guys in his class who were going to have a better college careers than him.

Now, at least one person thinks "his handle is about average for a B1G starting point" and he "lacks foot speed."

This is surprising to me.
Why is it surprising that a kid comes in with high expectations which he doesn’t live up to?

Why is it surprising that a kid comes in with high expectations which he doesn’t live up to?
If you recruit a kid and he becomes a multi-year starter or plays tons of minutes and contributes on the best RU team in decades THAT KID is far from a disappointment. When you ask that kid to play a position that is not his natural position and he is a good enough athlete /baller that he can be considered to do that on the highest level in basketball that kid has some game. The approach to PG is going to be something to watch. I really like Mulcahy as a wing, but we need a point. I'm not crazy about him as a PG. That doesn't make him a disappointment.

He’s not even close to a disappointment. Think of what the bar was when he came in. RU hadn’t had a winning season in forever and he contributed right away on an NCAA team and started last season on another one.

But the bar is higher now. He’s still good enough to get PT but may have athletic limitations which put a ceiling on the extent of further impact he will have throughout his RU career. But he’s already been a successful recruit - make no mistake.

It was there. I took a screenshot of one post that had me smh. I'm saving it until after mulcahy's eligibility has been used up. I got crushed on this board about his ranking, for mentioning that he was slow and for saying that I wasn't sure who he was going to be able to defend in the B1G.

Cool. You've been holding on to a screen shot from ~3 years ago from a fan forum of a program that at the time had sucked for decades where fans were overly hopeful about a local recruit's future with the team. All so that you could use the screen shot 5+ years down the line to pat yourself on the back and rub it in some poster's face on that same fan forum. Do I have that about right?

Sounds like you might need to find a couple more hobbies to fill in some of the gaps.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Cool. You've been holding on to a screen shot from ~3 years ago from a fan forum of a program that at the time had sucked for decades where fans were overly hopeful about a local recruit's future with the team. All so that you could use the screen shot 5+ years down the line to pat yourself on the back and rub it in some poster's face on that same fan forum. Do I have that about right?

Sounds like you might need to find a couple more hobbies to fill in some of the gaps.
Sounds like somebody has a very fragile ego.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
The expectations of some, not all but some, were just too high.

Wow, you B1G mad.

If Mulcahy finishes his career strong and becomes an all-big ten player, let's all hope for that btw, I promise to use the screen shot to congratulate that poster, btw, it's not you, and praise them for being right.

ADVERTISEMENT