ADVERTISEMENT

Whose decision was it to enforce the ban on outside food and drink?

I am not going to type it, but it doesnt take a vivid imagination to understand where the safety issues are with bringing in packaged food.

Where is your substantial evidence that Rutgers approach is harming attendance?

Why are Rutgers safety decisions about what they think is appropriate invalid, but those at Metlife valid? What does one have to do with the other? MetLife won't let me in with a pocketknife, but Rutgers doesn't care. Who is right on that issue? Maybe its MetLife who has the problem, and not Rutgers?
This is not a Sodexo mandated issue. This is a reaction to safety concerns. Law enforcement was warned about people being targets waiting in long lines. Taking away the need to search bags cuts down on the amount of time people are standing in lines and reduces the bottle neck effect.

I am surprised it took Rutgers this long to actually enforce this rule. I have no issue people bringing in water or a bag of nuts/snacks. There was a group of four that used to sit near me that would bring in multiple bags. These bags contained their entire tailgate minus a table and tablecloth.

I agree with the "families with kids need to bring in snacks" replies. If you want your 2-10 year old to sit still for 3.5 hours, you'd better bring something to keep them occupied. Believe me, the magic of Rutgers football ain't getting it done for that long.

And we throw Twizzlers in our section when we score (not that we've needed many in the last few games), but now we've been told we can't bring them in anymore. More for the tailgate, I guess, but the recruits always loved it.
Throwing Twizzlers after TDs is the only original in game entertainment at the stadium. They've been doing it in section 128 since the early '90s.

I am not going to type it, but it doesnt take a vivid imagination to understand where the safety issues are with bringing in packaged food.

Where is your substantial evidence that Rutgers approach is harming attendance?

Why are Rutgers safety decisions about what they think is appropriate invalid, but those at Metlife valid? What does one have to do with the other? MetLife won't let me in with a pocketknife, but Rutgers doesn't care. Who is right on that issue? Maybe its MetLife who has the problem, and not Rutgers?
I seriously have no idea what safety issues exist with bringing in your own food.

I didn't say what they're doing is substantially harming attendance. You made a claim that there was substantial evidence that prohibiting us from bringing food & drinks was a safety issue, so that's why I asked & I've yet to see anyone provide a modicum of evidence to support that, let alone substantial evidence. Our attendance problems are mostly due to losing, small # of diehards & our fairweather fans, but don't think for a second that our crappy stadium ops & concessions aren't making people miserable. Rutgers is in the customer service business & isn't providing enough.

Sk.com bag policy page still has the old policy:
http://www.scarletknights.com/tickets/bagpolicy.html

Prohibited items include: alcoholic beverages, selfie sticks, balloons, balls, bottles, cans, containers, coolers, fireworks, laser pointers, noise making devices, pets, smoking, sticks/poles, strollers, umbrellas, weapons and other items deemed dangerous and/or inappropriate.

And yes they have the catch-all "and other items deemed dangerous and/or inappropriate," yet none of their emails ever mention no lighters or vapes...

Reactions: Local Shill
What safety issues can there be with food besides allergies? (They probably still sell allergy-inducing food inside the stadium!)

Why not ban belts because people can hang themselves with them? Or just act like a prison and ban anything that can be remotely construed as a weapon.

What safety issues can there be with food besides allergies?
All kinds of safety issues. For example, it has been widely reported that there is a correlation between baked beans consumption and minor explosions.

Actually, being serious for half a second, I agree that it's a bit silly to disallow food for safety or security reasons.

theres aguy 2 rows in front of me, he has 6 season tix for as long as i know, he brings his 4 kids, on the hot day day against howard he had to buy 3 rounds of water to keep them from passing out, 18 bottles of water, shop rite is selling 3 cases of 24 for 9.00. poor guy had to shell out $72.00 or the 18 bottles not to mention the $5.00 dogs , some of assholes here would say too bad but is this a fair way to treat your fans, by the way besides paying for his game tickets and the ouragous parking fees of $50.00 per game he has to pay the seat tax of $1500 if you can afford this then god has blessed you, not everyone can handle this

Keep them from passing out??? They needed almost 2 quarts of water to get thru 3 hours? Were they playing or watching? IIRC, 50 ozs is the recommended daily water intake for an active adult.

I don't doubt they were uncomfortable because it was so hot but come on.

Instead of whining here I sent an email to Pat and Sarah this morning to ask why we suddenly can't bring in water or food. I mentioned the following:

• @demauroj info re: MetLife Stadium
  • the tradition of throwing Twizzlers
  • no water fountains on the 200 level
  • stands running out of water in the early games
  • no great food options on the 200 level (all the "special new foods" are only on the lower level)
  • the fact that tOSU has a ton of food options on the upper level, guys in the stands selling drinks and, horror of horrors, they sold me water with a cap on it.
  • for good measure I also threw in a comment about the Middlesex County Sheriff hassling people who look young and have solo cups in their hands

I will report back when I receive a reply.

Instead of whining here I sent an email to Pat and Sarah this morning to ask why we suddenly can't bring in water or food. I mentioned the following:

• no great food options on the 200 level (all the "special new foods" are only on the lower level)
  • the fact that tOSU has a ton of food options on the upper level, guys in the stands selling drinks and, horror of horrors, they sold me water with a cap on it.
  • for good measure I also threw in a comment about the Middlesex County Sheriff hassling people who look young and have solo cups in their hands

Thank You MrsScrew!!!

Very interested to hear the reply. Specifically regarding the 200 level options. Very little choice all stands serving same 3 options Hot Dogs/Pretzels/Popcorn. That is when they are open for business.

I emailed the list of Associate Athletic Directors asking what made a 3 oz bag of pretzels dangerous (among other questions) and was rewarded with a form letter that answered exactly zero of my questions. I will be sending a followup tonight as well.

I emailed the list of Associate Athletic Directors asking what made a 3 oz bag of pretzels dangerous (among other questions) and was rewarded with a form letter that answered exactly zero of my questions. I will be sending a followup tonight as well.

I think when they do that it might actually be more infuriating than be ignored altogether.

Reactions: Leonard23
Not true. There's a list of prohibited items in my ticket package. Food and water not on the list

On the back of the ticket: "regulations prohibit bottles, cans, umbrellas, strollers, alchoholic beverages, coolers, noise-making devices, balloons, laser pointers, balls, fireworks, weapons, sticks/poles, containers, pets, and any other items deemed dangerous and/or inappropriate from being brought into the faculty." By "bottles" Rutgers has always meant glass bottles. RU is now consideing food and plastic bottles to be dangerous, but that was a mid-season change, and not what was "sold" to us when we paid for our tickets.

Simple fix. Just ask some cuse fans for this - they're in Canada right?

ofltz.jpg

This is not a Sodexo mandated issue. This is a reaction to safety concerns. Law enforcement was warned about people being targets waiting in long lines. Taking away the need to search bags cuts down on the amount of time people are standing in lines and reduces the bottle neck effect.

I am surprised it took Rutgers this long to actually enforce this rule. I have no issue people bringing in water or a bag of nuts/snacks. There was a group of four that used to sit near me that would bring in multiple bags. These bags contained their entire tailgate minus a table and tablecloth.
So has law enforcement canceled every marathon, color run, tough mudder, The Hunt, waiting in long lines for iPhone release days & Black Friday? train station lines, etc.?

Why do you assume people haven't emailed, called &/or tweeted for those very answers as well? Some have (for years now I might add) & Rutgers isn't responding or doing anything. Same with the killing of the horse video & intro which were raised by someone on the Fan Advisory Board in person.

So has law enforcement canceled every marathon, color run, tough mudder, The Hunt, waiting in long lines for iPhone release days & Black Friday? train station lines, etc.?

Why do you assume people haven't emailed, called &/or tweeted for those very answers as well? Some have (for years now I might add) & Rutgers isn't responding or doing anything. Same with the killing of the horse video & intro which were raised by someone on the Fan Advisory Board in person.

well, because 4 pages into this thread not one person has said "hey, I emailed/tweeted/instagramed/snapchatted administration and haven't received an answer"
It's been 4 pages of why why why (and I am with that group of people because I don't understand why) but no one saying they did anything. So I did something AND I commented that I did something.

Last edited:

That is the biggest pile of dog crap excuse I have ever heard, and I know what I am talking about on this subject.

I have said this before, but it bears repeating. You totally rock.

I'm sure others have communicated about some or all of these issues. But (a) it certainly doesn't hurt for more people do so, (b) I would bet many of those who have communicated have been whiny or needy which generally isn't well received by folks working in a large bureaucracy, and (c) based on her history here and what she just wrote, I have lots of faith in @MrsScrew's ability to compose a message in a way that will be as well received as possible.

What safety issues can there be with food besides allergies? (They probably still sell allergy-inducing food inside the stadium!)

Why not ban belts because people can hang themselves with them? Or just act like a prison and ban anything that can be remotely construed as a weapon.
A few weeks after 9/11 I was called into my boss's office. On my belt i had been carrying a 'Leatherman' tool for over a year. He told me he wanted me to remove it and give it to him and he would give it back to me at quitting time. I did as I was asked. Then I asked him if he wanted me to turn in the scissors that were in my desk drawer. It wasn't long after that the company had a layoff of thousands of employees and I was one of them.

I think most aspects of this heightened ban are pointless. As myself and others have pointed out---the new rules are only generally stopping the people who leave things out in plain sight.
The capacity of this fan base to be whiny bitches is incredible. Availability of water for people who need it is not a problem in any way. You can bring in a camping cup, there are water fountains throughout the stadium, and about 2 million sinks in each bathroom (as was bitched about ad nauseum when they expanded the stadium).

So what people are really upset about is that they cannot bring in their own food, and instead have to either not eat, or buy crappy fried concession food. Big friggin deal. Its a 4 hour game. Its the same story at many major events and entertainment venues. Have an early lunch in the parking lot at 11:30, and worst case scenario, you will need to get maybe a pretzel or a box of candy at the game.

I love some of this bitching.... kids could pass out, old people could die, guy we don't know had to buy 80 bottles of water so he and his kids could survive the howard game, bait and switch, wouldn't have bought tickets if I knew they were gonna ban my wawa subs. Its unreal..

I'd rather be safe. These days, the only thing that annoys me is standing in that giant mob of people at the gate 15 minutes before kickoff because I don't know what the hell is going to happen anymore.

Oh, and neither the school, nor anyone else owes anyone any explanation. They told you it was for your safety. The ticket license lets them change policies for safety reasons. There is substantial evidence supporting that was the real reason. You don't like it, tough.

If that's your (or anyone's) main concern (which is obviously very valid especially nowadays) I would be pretty frustrated with the quality of enforcement. It's one thing to create these rules that many of us are frustrated with, but at the same time, as many of us posted and have shown it takes about 3 seconds of planning to get things inside since many of the guards don't even remotely check.
Not really sure how to stop the bottlenecking without spreading out the width of entrance availability since the guards seem to be doing the bare minimum and it's still creating a massive backup.

Last edited:
And we throw Twizzlers in our section when we score (not that we've needed many in the last few games), but now we've been told we can't bring them in anymore. More for the tailgate, I guess, but the recruits always loved it.

Gee...I wonder where you got that idea from... [banana][banana]

Reactions: ATIOH
Throwing Twizzlers after TDs is the only original in game entertainment at the stadium. They've been doing it in section 128 since the early '90s.

I started in Giants Stadium in 93. Then brought it to the new stadium in 94 and kept doing it till I moved to Wisconsin in 2007. My friends (and dozens of others) have been doing it ever since...

That is the biggest pile of dog crap excuse I have ever heard, and I know what I am talking about on this subject.
I will go with information shared with me via family members involved in law enforcement that are privy to various threats and advisories over the Sodexo/peanut allergy excuses.

Sounds like cr*p to me. If that were the case one should/would be allowed to bring water or food in until a given point before the game starts. I always enter the stadium 30-45 minutes early to use the bathroom. At most there is one party in front of me.

Your comments would make sense if bringing bags into the stadium were banned. But that is not the case. You can still bring in clear plastic NFL style bags & small purses/clutch bags that require searching. Yes, even my clear bag gets searched by the gate people

Where Rutgers is dropping the ball a bit related to bags is that the information is not really out there on the bag rules. Yes its on the website but it does not come with your tickets. For Minnesota & tOSU this year I was sent paperwork with my tickets that explicitly stated the rules of what was/wasn't allowed in each stadium. tOSU even included a measured drawing "if your bag doesn't fit here its too big". I have seen women and men get turned away every home game so far because of the bag size.

But back to your bag theory. The theory is only in place for bags. It doesn't work for why I can't bring a bottle of water or a bag of candy into the stadium.

Did anybody else get a call from their ticket rep over the last few days asking basically the same type questions we are talking about right here in this thread?

I found the timing of the the phone call...interesting.

Did anybody else get a call from their ticket rep over the last few days asking basically the same type questions we are talking about right here in this thread?

I found the timing of the the phone call...interesting.
Received a call yesterday asking about game day experiences.

I'll be in the black lot giving away a few cases Halloween candy I have leftover (I am in the business)..folks can either enjoy them, hand them out in a few weeks, or better yet...try and bring them into the game and throw after scores and start the In Stadium Candy Revolt of 2016 !

White MDX..Mascot Flag. While supplies last. 1-2 bags per customer.

So you don't have the answers or choose not to respond. Got it. Don't come on here scolding people & then run away or act like you're above them when they ask questions & try to have a rational discussion with you.

I'll scold whoever I want, whenever, however I wish. If you can't stand getting called out like that, you are the one with the problem, not me. But I'll play hard ball with you to set your tail exactly where it needs to be.

1) Your comments prove you are another of the Joisey Complainers. You'll whine and moan, but you won't put any money where your big mouth is. I'll be sure to remember that going forward. Rutgers Athletics knows there is a major problem with Sodexo and the food at the concessions stands. They have known that since the middle of the 2013 season. But it is hardly just the "food" that is the issue. The staff who prep and serve the food are equally at fault. If you are so upset with the quality of what you buy, open your mouth at them and let them know how you think. Or is that frightening to you? Oh yeah, your opinion is that the staff behind the counter can't heat the food to the proper temp. But "the administration" can make it hotter sitting behind their desks 6 AM - 10 PM, M-F.

2) So when was the last time you invited Bob Barchi, Pat Hobbs, Sarah Baumgartner, Geoff Brown, and the rest of the senior staff to your seats for a chance to see just how horrible things are in your mind and eyes? According to you, you "donate thousands of dollars each year & have season tickets & parking for multiple sports". If you are dumping over $10k per sport and more in for academics, I'm sure they'll come running right over. But if you're under that number and just whining, your screen name is just going in with all the others who are a Joisey Complainer. Face facts, you want change, pay for it, like real donors at real P5 Conference schools do.

3) "Rutgers should've selected a better food vendor or negotiated better terms, maybe even an out clause, & should hold any food vendor to some level of food quality standards." You do remember that this contract was negotiated back in 2012, right? 3 ADs ago! All you've done every single year is whine and moan and complain about how you don't like the food and the food is too expensive. But you never bring together a group who will actually resolve the matter in support of Athletics. Yeah, that's up to Athletics to magically do on their own. Typical Joisey Complainer.

4) "People seems to like the Livingston Dining Hall food, so it appears that our own Dining Services may have been better for this." You do realize that Dining Services was significantly upgraded over the last three years, right? And you also realize the place being discussed is Henry's Diner, not Tillet, right? Or do you just like to cherry pick what you are going to use in your Joisey Complaining? For someone who "donates thousands of dollars year year" you sure are out of touch with what is going on around campus.

5) "Rutgers should also use a POS system. They just signed a deal with a company to use a POS system in the Audi Club but not stadium wide, which doesn't make much sense." Haven't you ever heard of a shake-down season? Damn, boi, you are proving just how stupid you really are. At one point you are moaning and complaining about a contract that went throughout all venues instead of having a shakedown at one of the smaller locations like Yurcak or Bainton. Now you want a POS to go stadium-wide just because you want it? Jeez!

6) The contract fee with any new provider is based on how many venues will be managed and the food and services to be provided. This is hardly just about the stadium. But I understand that is difficult for you to comprehend.

In the future, do try harder to actually think before you type. It will help you to look smarter than you appear right now.

Reactions: motorb54
I'll scold whoever I want, whenever, however I wish. If you can't stand getting called out like that, you are the one with the problem, not me. But I'll play hard ball with you to set your tail exactly where it needs to be.

1) Your comments prove you are another of the Joisey Complainers. You'll whine and moan, but you won't put any money where your big mouth is. I'll be sure to remember that going forward. Rutgers Athletics knows there is a major problem with Sodexo and the food at the concessions stands. They have known that since the middle of the 2013 season. But it is hardly just the "food" that is the issue. The staff who prep and serve the food are equally at fault. If you are so upset with the quality of what you buy, open your mouth at them and let them know how you think. Or is that frightening to you? Oh yeah, your opinion is that the staff behind the counter can't heat the food to the proper temp. But "the administration" can make it hotter sitting behind their desks 6 AM - 10 PM, M-F.

2) So when was the last time you invited Bob Barchi, Pat Hobbs, Sarah Baumgartner, Geoff Brown, and the rest of the senior staff to your seats for a chance to see just how horrible things are in your mind and eyes? According to you, you "donate thousands of dollars each year & have season tickets & parking for multiple sports". If you are dumping over $10k per sport and more in for academics, I'm sure they'll come running right over. But if you're under that number and just whining, your screen name is just going in with all the others who are a Joisey Complainer. Face facts, you want change, pay for it, like real donors at real P5 Conference schools do.

3) "Rutgers should've selected a better food vendor or negotiated better terms, maybe even an out clause, & should hold any food vendor to some level of food quality standards." You do remember that this contract was negotiated back in 2012, right? 3 ADs ago! All you've done every single year is whine and moan and complain about how you don't like the food and the food is too expensive. But you never bring together a group who will actually resolve the matter in support of Athletics. Yeah, that's up to Athletics to magically do on their own. Typical Joisey Complainer.

4) "People seems to like the Livingston Dining Hall food, so it appears that our own Dining Services may have been better for this." You do realize that Dining Services was significantly upgraded over the last three years, right? And you also realize the place being discussed is Henry's Diner, not Tillet, right? Or do you just like to cherry pick what you are going to use in your Joisey Complaining? For someone who "donates thousands of dollars year year" you sure are out of touch with what is going on around campus.

5) "Rutgers should also use a POS system. They just signed a deal with a company to use a POS system in the Audi Club but not stadium wide, which doesn't make much sense." Haven't you ever heard of a shake-down season? Damn, boi, you are proving just how stupid you really are. At one point you are moaning and complaining about a contract that went throughout all venues instead of having a shakedown at one of the smaller locations like Yurcak or Bainton. Now you want a POS to go stadium-wide just because you want it? Jeez!

6) The contract fee with any new provider is based on how many venues will be managed and the food and services to be provided. This is hardly just about the stadium. But I understand that is difficult for you to comprehend.

In the future, do try harder to actually think before you type. It will help you to look smarter than you appear right now.

What an arrogant, obnoxious ass you come across as. No one talks like that.

I speak in person with one of the four on a regular basis and while I have never had them sit next to me at a game to discuss some of the things I have mentioned already in this thread, I have had the pleasure of my rep hanging out with us during a game or two.

Those conversations with that person I have been told have reached the right ears, by the one with those ears. So progress might be being made as we speak.

And in the future....relax dude.

ADVERTISEMENT