ADVERTISEMENT

Why are we having more success on road and less at home this year compared to years past?

superfan01

All American
May 29, 2003
One of the biggest things that surprises me this season is that we had the most road success we have ever had in decades yet at home we have struggled compared to our typical home play.

Why is this? It was just 3 years ago where we went nearly undefeated at home and couldn't win a game on the road. Now our biggest wins are happening on the road and our our biggest duds have been at home (SHU, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska).

You can make a legit case we have been a better team away from RAC this year

Last edited:
We played our good matchups on the road
Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Northwestern

We played our bad matchups home
Michigan, Iowa, Nebraska

Matchups matter more than rankings, we beat good teams in our good matchups (Northwestern, Purdue, Maryland) and lost to bad teams in our bad matchups (Michigan, Nebraska)

Good question. I’ve been trying to figure this one out myself. I think part of the reason is that all lesser ranked teams come to the RAC all fired up and and play their very best trying to beat the RAC home fans. I also think that RU may let their guard down a little thinking that the RAC crowd will propel them to a W. Just my 2 cents Fwiw

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I think teams are a little more used to the RAC now as well after we got good. It was a surprise to a lot of teams at how great a venue the RAC could be since we always sucked when they came in. Now that we've had success as a program and teams have played in a deafening RAC it hasn't caught them off guard as much.

Variance has a lot to do with. I just looked back at 2019-2020. We were 9-1 at home and 2-7 in true road B10 games. Perception was we were great at home and horrible on the road.

First road game we lost to MSU by 12 (but game was closer). Then we lost the next 6 all by single digits, and then edged out Purdue in the last game in OT.

At home we were 9-1 but only two of the wins were double digit (and both were 11 points)

Really what happened all year was were a middle of the road B10 team who was extremely consistent. Won most of the games at home by small margins and lost most of the road games by small margins, which is what would roughly be projected. Had we had more variance, we likely would have won a couple more road games and lost a couple more home games.

El Nino.

As La Nina moves into El Nino, these sorts of atypical patterns emerge...

spanish-chris-farley.gif

Lack of scoring at end of season because of no consistent go to scorers.Last seasons team far better on offense but this seasons team better on defense.Crowd support has limited impact when the offense is mediocre.Scoring even 60 points is a challenge right now.

This team is more prone to scoring droughts, I think they have played tight in some games at home when they can't blow the team out like when they play the cupcakes

I think it’s a combination of factors some of which are referenced above… including opponents being more prepared for the JMA environment as well as the specific teams we’ve played this year home v. away.
I also think it’s a result of how successful we’ve been at home in the past. This has created an expectation that we almost can’t lose at home. When the game is close, there are times where perhaps we’ve let the pressure affect our play. So, in effect, at times we’ve actually played tighter at home v. the road where there is less of an expectation that we will win.

Last edited:
And I disagree that JMA is not what it used to be. I’m at every game close to the court. It’s not like it makes a difference the exact decibel level… JMA is plenty loud. But there have been more instances this year where the crowd’s noise has not positively impacted our play and affected our opponent’s play. Perhaps our opponents are just tougher mentally in blocking out the noise.

Did someone say the place wasn't as loud as in the past ? Seemed like student section (packed well before game time) and most of building was exceedingly jacked up for last game. The 2019 SH game (for instance) that team kept everyone frantic; Seems like Geo & Ron enjoyed the crazy & feed off the students. Except for Cam - not sure we have that other individual that thrives off the crazy the building offers.

As someone said above, loud courts affect defense not offense. It’s still worked for example Michigan had 58 points. Instead of needing to win 90-89, the RAC could have let us win 75-58, except our offense only scored 52 or whatever .. loud crowd doesn’t will offense as much as it distracts the other teams offense

It’s a combination of factors …but let’s get real here

2019-2020. 18-1
2020-2021. 11-4
2021-2022. 15-3
2022-2023. 13-4 with one game left

Assminubt we beat NW…that’s 57-12 (.826)….
How much more do you want …and can be expected ? A little , but not much

It’s a combination of factors …but let’s get real here

2019-2020. 18-1
2020-2021. 11-4
2021-2022. 15-3
2022-2023. 13-4 with one game left

Assminubt we beat NW…that’s 57-12 (.826)….
How much more do you want …and can be expected ? A little , but not much
Agree with this. One more factor is how refs are calling the games. This is not meant to trash the refs but there is home cooking in the BIG and I think there has been less of that this year. I could be wrong it just feels that way.

I think it's because we're such a heavily defensive-oriented team this year. That pretty much gives you a chance in every game, home or road. I'd still prefer a more balanced attack which I know is being addressed through recruiting. The offensive droughts like we've seen in Miami and other road games are just killers, especially on the road in a hostile environment.

ADVERTISEMENT