ADVERTISEMENT

Why are we not hearing GS to Rutgers speculation in the national media?

And to that extent - Ash 2019 in place.
another one win season! brilliant move by Hobbs and Barchi.
I dont get why alot of people think Hobbs is doing such a great job as AD at RU.
Ray Lesniak raised most of the money needed for performance basketball center thru state bonds.
What other sport has Hobbs made a national splash hire at for RU? How about one that has a winning record other then one or two olympic sports?

Last edited:
Reactions: RU#1fan
Maybe it is all happening, and that the back channels have no leaks. Certainly have been threads started indicating that discussions were taking place.
I'm heading to Subway on Easton to grab lunch. Will report back if I hear anything.
That joke hasn’t been funny since 1984.

Reactions: Rutgers85
another one win season! brilliant move by Hobbs and Barchi.
I dont get why alot of people thing Hobbs is doing such a great job as AD at RU.
Ray Lesniak raised most of the money needed for performance basketball center thru state bonds.
What other sport has Hobbs made a national splash hire at for RU? How about one that has a winning record other then one or two olympic sports?

RU needs to circle the wagons at this point imo. That means backing Hobbs and hoping that he can make changes in the FB program that will be successful. Sooner rather than later. If he makes the right move then his position as AD is strengthened. But that is far from a given imo.

You mean Central Jersey. And yes there is a Central Jersey !
Good point. I shouldve said Central Jersey because these days North Jersey is Notre Dame and whoever wins on Saturdays while South Jersey is still State Penn, smh.

He may want to be a candidate for many jobs but he’s not....he should be doing everything in his power to get back to RU if he wants to be a college head coach again.
For what? So he can leave again if he does two resurrections?

For what? So he can leave again if he does two resurrections?
yes,that minor league NFL ..who wants to be a head Coach there?
Guess you were complaining when Schiano turned down Michigan and Canes to stay at RU?
An obvious hater would do that..

Reactions: OriginalKnight
A of reasons why Greg will never coach again at RU. There are so many that I wouldn't even know where to start.

Schianopeople are funny.
226_PEA_Welcome_Great_Pumpkin-590x308.jpg
Just Great, first it was there's no Easter Bunny then no Santa Claus now you just had to tell me there's No Great Pumpkin. Thanks, buddy.

Why is there no GS to Rutgers speculation? Well, it *could* be that the national media doesn't believe that Ash will be fired. Or it *could* be that Schiano is not interested in the job even assuming that Ash will be fired. Or it *could* be that Hobbs/Barchi,etc. have no interest in having Schiano here. Or it *could* be that a desire for something to be true does not make it true.

it's what Tango said, GS and his people are not going to float a name to a job with a coach already there. they don't necessarily do that to each other within the fraternity.

You mean Central Jersey. And yes there is a Central Jersey !
Ash believes there is a place called Central Jersey,that's enough for me to claim it doesn't exists.
I think Central Jersey was started by the people that live just a little too far south to be considered living in North Jersey and don't want to be considered part of South Jersey.[winking][roll]

Ash believes there is a place called Central Jersey,that's enough for me to claim it doesn't exists.
I think Central Jersey was started by the people that live just a little too far south to be considered living in North Jersey and don't want to be considered part of South Jersey.[winking][roll]

I know you're kidding, but I can't understand the resistance to the term "Central Jersey." New Brunswick isn't part of South Jersey because people there root for New York teams, while South Jerseyans root for Philadelphia teams. On the other hand, it's a hell of a lot easier to get from here to New Brunswick than to get to areas further north -- Montclair, for instance, is a schlep, and of course there are many areas north of there that are even further away.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Has there been any speculation in the media about Rutgers at all? Does the national media even care??
The national media focuses on stories that they think football fans will care about. Outside of our fanbase, nobody really cares if Schiano comes here or not.

Reactions: tico brown
Just heard on Sirius the B10 guy Rick Pizzo saying that because Hobbs declared Ash his guy pre season that he won't go back on that 4 months later--the ego and embarrassment arguments many have feared. That Ash will be here one more year primarily for that but also because amount owed goes down each year and money issues are to be considered.

You would think someone would be floating the GS issue if it was at all viable. Hoping that it's all being done in a competent back channel manner, but not sure when we have seen that at RU,so thought we'd be hearing at least some speculation as GS is likely done year 3 and we are headed to 1-11 in year 3. Remarkable that 1-11 in a third year and no great recruiting class to look to wouldn't generate huge discussions and speculation. Fear that it may take some embarrassing last two weeks to create the pressure.
All due respect to Rick Pizzo but with all that is at stake, if Hobbs doesn’t do what he know he needs to do because his ego won’t let him walk back on his “my guy” statement, I would begin to question Hobbs. Didn’t he say that in Sept, anyway, while there was still hope that progress was made in year three?

Everyone knows it’s all smoke and mirrors anyway.

NOOOOOOOO ……...WRONG!

Reactions: MADHAT1
All due respect to Rick Pizzo but with all that is at stake, if Hobbs doesn’t do what he know he needs to do because his ego won’t let him walk back on his “my guy” statement, I would begin to question Hobbs. Didn’t he say that in Sept, anyway, while there was still hope that progress was made in year three?

Everyone knows it’s all smoke and mirrors anyway.

It was July. It won't be the statement but the money involved and admitting a mistake (Ash was Hobbs' choice). Neither should not be excuses. FIrst, money is only the issue because of the contract Hobbs himself negotiated. So it's not like this can be blamed on some other AD. If he can't get around it, then not only did he make a mistake with the hire, but he failed at negotiating, knowing his employer, and planning for the future.

With that said, the Ash guaranteed money should not be a hurdle as it itself is negotiable. If LSU just negotiated Les Miles' remaining buyout down from $6.5 million to $5 million, then a competent negotiator should be able to get Ash down 40-50% too.

It was July. It won't be the statement but the money involved and admitting a mistake (Ash was Hobbs' choice). Neither should not be excuses. FIrst, money is only the issue because of the contract Hobbs himself negotiated. So it's not like this can be blamed on some other AD. If he can't get around it, then not only did he make a mistake with the hire, but he failed at negotiating, knowing his employer, and planning for the future.

With that said, the Ash guaranteed money should not be a hurdle as it itself is negotiable. If LSU just negotiated Les Miles' remaining buyout down from $6.5 million to $5 million, then a competent negotiator should be able to get Ash down 40-50% too.
You are comparing our finances to LSU? Reality check needed in aisle 2.

Reactions: PaKnight
This isn't Texas. Or USC. Or a program that casual fans care about vis-a-vis the coaching carousel. Besides, since most people don't think it odd that we suck again, why would there be much speculation about the end result of said sucking?

When the job opens up, or if the job opens up, then you'll hear some things. But this isn't quite "FireRonZook.com" now, is it?

The instrument capable of measuring how little the national media cares has yet to be invented.

A lot of RU fans think the world of Greg Schiano and understandably so. But they've got to realize that there isn't another fanbase out there thinking "hope he doesn't go to Rutgers, because we want him." If there was, then this might be an angle for an actual story.

You are comparing our finances to LSU? Reality check needed in aisle 2.

It's not a comparison of finances. It's a statement that buyouts can be bought down. The amount of money LSU has is really not relevant.

Maybe it is all happening, and that the back channels have no leaks. Certainly have been threads started indicating that discussions were taking place.
I'm heading to Subway on Easton to grab lunch. Will report back if I hear anything.

Dare I say that you would be considered a hero if you reported back anything of note....

Funny how some claim national media doesnt care in response to a segment on a national show re RU coaching situation. Message board accuracy at it's finest.

ADVERTISEMENT