ADVERTISEMENT

Why R we playing at the Garden again?

Wisc? MSU?

No other school has to go through this crap?

Wisc won at Kohl and then beat us at the Garden. Ssssssh!

MSU getting same chance…. Sssh!

Joke!

Why is that so hard to comprehend?
And next time Rutgers plays this game, which will likely be in three years, they’ll be the road team and will have more conference home games than road games.

1. A great way to market Rutgers as NYC’s team
  2. It’s as close to a home game as Rutgers can get outside the RAC
  3. Will count as a neutral site game
  4. Takes away a conference road game
These games will end up being a huge net positive for Rutgers.

Love to know the thought process again.

We blow out MSU twice in a row at home and now are giving up our home court advantage?

After tonight we need this game at home.

Truly do not understand.

I’m sure Izzo told the league it was a great idea and then they put the arm on RU. 😉

Reactions: G- RUnit
I actually do like the Garden. You could do all of the above with a non conference game.

Rather keep the RAC home court advantage for conference games. That advantage is far greater than an opponent losing a home game years from now.

I think we could legitimately market our self as NYC’s football team, sorry Army, I think St. John’s is still NYC’s hoops team.

Reactions: Njbound1
I actually do like the Garden. You could do all of the above with a non conference game.

Rather keep the RAC home court advantage for conference games. That advantage is far greater than an opponent losing a home game years from now.

I think we could legitimately market our self as NYC’s football team, sorry Army, I think St. John’s is still NYC’s hoops team.
He's starting to come around.....It is time for RU Basketball to take it to the next level.

Reactions: fluoxetine
He's starting to come around.....It is time for RU Basketball to take it to the next level.
the team, the program and fans have to be confident..... I want to put the days of worrying about the rating of other teams we have played, and making the NCAA needing that

I like the projections of being a single digit seed for the NCAA, we should embrace that, make that happen..... of course, not us, but the team...... just would like that attitude for once.

that is why we should not lament the game at the garden, if we are going to be single digit NCAA good, lets play at the garden and just win

He's starting to come around.....It is time for RU Basketball to take it to the
the team, the program and fans have to be confident..... I want to put the days of worrying about the rating of other teams we have played, and making the NCAA needing that

I like the projections of being a single digit seed for the NCAA, we should embrace that, make that happen..... of course, not us, but the team...... just would like that attitude for once.

that is why we should not lament the game at the garden, if we are going to be single digit NCAA good, lets play at the garden and just win

Any other single digit teams playing a conference game at a neutral court not of their choice? That’s the issue.

• Haha
Any other single digit teams playing a conference game at a neutral court not of their choice? That’s the issue.

I think you first have to stop assuming that RU was forced into this..

the idea of playing every year, one league game at the Garden, is very appealing to a lot of fans, as long as, every other year, it is the other teams home game

so, I believe you should stop the "forced into" posts

I will be there.

Reactions: wheezer
Do you actually not understand that we're getting a series of games at MSG, which will involve equal numbers of "away" games (which will be essentially home games, when we're good, as we've already seen) and "home" games (which will also be close to a home game but obviously not the RAC). The advantage of having an away game at MSG is huge, while the disadvantage of having a home game at MSG is modest, at most, so overall, it's an advantage for us, crowd wise, and a big plus for us, exposure-wise playing in the World's Most Famous Arena on big time TV.

Do you actually not understand that we're getting a series of games at MSG, which will involve equal numbers of "away" games (which will be essentially home games, when we're good, as we've already seen) and "home" games (which will also be close to a home game but obviously not the RAC). The advantage of having an away game at MSG is huge, while the disadvantage of having a home game at MSG is modest, at most, so overall, it's an advantage for us, crowd wise, and a big plus for us, exposure-wise playing in the World's Most Famous Arena on big time TV.
Yes the losses to Wiscy and Michigan, which we win at the RAC, really helped in future years. Still waiting. SMH. Let me know again when we benefit. I'm still waiting. Maybe in 2025? Tourney and B1G seeding this year, that’s silly, who cares?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Yes the losses to Wiscy and Michigan, which we win at the RAC, really helped in future years. Still waiting. SMH. Let me know again when we benefit. I'm still waiting. Maybe in 2025? Tourney and B1G seeding this year, that’s silly, who cares?
The Michigan game would otherwise have been played in Ann Arbor. Good god dude.

shutterstock_245726512-scaled.jpg

Reactions: TRU2RU
We wouldn't have beaten WI at the RAC in 2017 and as we saw, WI fans outnumbered RU fans in that game, because we sucked in Pike's first year; in the future, we'll outnumber any team's fans if we remain a regular NCAA team as most of us expect. Also, do you realize the UM game was a home game for MI that normally would've been played in Ann Arbor? And presumably the next MSG game will be a "home" game for our opponent and an "away" game for us, evening things out.

So then why are you arguing with anyone and everyone who tries to explain it to you?
Haven’t really heard a good answer.
Think most would rather game at RAC.
Was not even originally scheduled and very last minute….if it was such a brilliant idea.
Do you really think a noon start at the Garden is prime time marquee?

Wanted to be convinced. Haven’t been.
It’s a message board. You don’t have to read it or comment.

But if you’re satisfied with that, have at it. If it makes

Last edited:
  • Haha
Please stop! It's a better atmosphere than anywhere when full, or close to full. It's the most significant arena in this country. Izzo did not request it. That is preposterous. The Big Ten requested it. Rutgers is in the Big Ten because of proximity to NYC. That is the biggest reason. It is the only reason that the game is on big boy Fox. Rutgers should play in MSG every year.

Does Duke move their home games outside Cemeron?
Rutgers is not Duke. And before you start comparing this year's teams, I'm talking about the last 40 years of college basketball history.

I can see why playing an annual game at The Garden makes sense, but I wish it wasn't 1) a conference game and 2) a noon tip-off. An early season game in primetime against a marquee out-of-conference opponent would give RU a bigger bang for their buck, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Thank you!
Wow....one person defended you....

RU Basketball is becoming a brand and you are running scared...

BTW: Duke played Purdue, Xavier, Oregon State in portland and played Iowa at MSG. They could have played a few more lower ranked teams at home but did not.

The reason MSU was a late add was the UCONN game at UBS was cancelled and Pike probably wanted to play a marquee game in NY.

Responses below answered your question.

I think you first have to stop assuming that RU was forced into this..

the idea of playing every year, one league game at the Garden, is very appealing to a lot of fans, as long as, every other year, it is the other teams home game

so, I believe you should stop the "forced into" posts

Wow....one person defended you....

RU Basketball is becoming a brand and you are running scared...

BTW: Duke played Purdue, Xavier, Oregon State in portland and played Iowa at MSG. They could have played a few more lower ranked teams at home but did not.

The reason MSU was a late add was the UCONN game at UBS was cancelled and Pike probably wanted to play a marquee game in NY.

Responses below answered your question.
Sorry but have to disagree with you.
Not at all about running scared.
Duke example is a poor one. Duke played Purdue, Xavier, Oregon, Iowa. What’s the common denominator? All out of conference games. Duke isn’t moving the UNC game to Greensboro.

I don’t think anyone would mind RU v Gonzaga at the Garden. UConn at USB is fine. MSU was not a substitute for the UCOnn game.

It’s the fact that we are at a competitive disadvantage that irks me. It’s a league game. The fact that it was done so last minute. The fact that it’s at noon is downright odd. It reeks of shannigans and you can’t help but wonder after we blow out MSU twice in a row that that game gets moved….

The B1G wants a NY presence. MSG is a marque venue. Thus, B1G Super Saturdays at MSG and RU is the best fit.

We are in the B1G (largely due to our proximity to NYC).

The B1G, MSG and RU each benefit from RU playing there.

Half the time we give up a conference home game, half the time our opponent does. Net net, we gain more than we lose with the trade because our fans can easily get to the game and although it isn’t the same as the RAC we have “home court” for both.

This is big picture/ long run and not a one-off. The “win“ for RU next season has already been inked but not announced.

That’s the company line.
We are in the league for TV eyes.
This isn’t a Super Saturday day.
Scheduled last minute after season tickets distributed.
Noon game time at MSG keeps down attendance.
RU has destroyed MSU last two times at the RAC.
Losses to Wiscy and Michigan have provided no tangible benefit to RU,
Nobody knows when next Garden game will be.
How does the benefit RU again.

This is such an amusing thread. G-RUnit might have some good points, but if so, they get lost because he has his fact hopelessly wrong and he is imagining some conspiracy theory. He is being so obtuse in this thread, you have to consider that he is trolling.

Let's set the record straight on some of the facts:

• This game was not moved to MSG at the last minute. This game was originally scheduled in 2019 to be played in 2021 (https://dailytargum.com/article/2019/11/rutgers-basketball-big-ten-super-saturday-feature-2019) . Because the 2020-2021 season had no fan attendance due to covid, the MSG matchup was rescheduled to 2023. Then when the Knicks schedule was formed last summer, they had a game on the same day. So the Big Ten changed the location of this game to TBD, while they looked at alternate arenas and negotiated options with MSG. The result was the Big Ten game at noon and the NBA game in the evening.

• Rutgers was not forced into playing at MSG. When Rutgers and Maryland joined the Big Ten, the conference made a decision to have a greater east coast preference, including holding the Big Ten basketball tournament once in Washington, DC, and once in New York City. As part of the agreement with MSG to hold the 2018 basketball tournament there, the Big Ten agreed to holding 4 "Super Saturday" basketball-hockey double headers at MSG in 2016, 17, 18, and 19. Rutgers played in that original series once, and 7 other schools played basketball once in that original series.
The Big Ten and MSG decided to extend the series after 2019, and Rutgers requested more opportunities to play at MSG. At that time, Rutgers had just come off the 2018 Big Ten Tournament, where we had a huge advantage playing 35 miles from campus. Even though we were a 14 seed, we had huge fan turnout and won 2 games and played Purdue tough on Friday night. The exposure and support from that "Garden Statement" made Rutgers want to play more games at MSG. Therefore Rutgers was scheduled at a visiting team in 2020 and home team in 2021 (moved to this year).​

• Rutgers has not been treated unfairly in Super Saturday matchups. The original 4 game series featured Penn St, Rutgers, Minn, and Maryland each as home teams, and Michigan, Wisc, OSU, and Illinois each as road teams. When Rutgers requested additional exposure at MSG, we were given Rutgers at Michigan in 2020 and MSU at Rutgers being played this year. While through this season Rutgers will have played 3 Super Saturday matchups (2 home and 1 away), that is because we requested more. Michigan has played 2 Super Saturday matchups (1 home and 1 away). The other teams have all played 1 matchup. I could argue that the teams that got screwed are Penn St, Minnesota, and Maryland, since they gave up home games and never got a road game in return.

Now, G-RUnit has a point that gets lost because he has his head so far up his ass. In years where Rutgers gives up a home game, like this year, playing a home game at MSG is a disadvantage. This year Rutgers has a long shot to win the regular season title and a reasonable chance to finish in the top-4 and get a double-bye. But that task becomes more difficult because we got screwed out of a win at OSU, and we give up our home-court RAC advantage for this game. The fact that this evens out over the long term is not relevant to the fact that it is a disadvantage this season.

But this point does get counterbalanced with the fact that as a neutral court, this probably ends up being a quad 1 game whereas it would probably be quad 2 at the RAC. While this would help us on Selection Sunday, it is not enough of an advantage to offset giving up a home game.

Nonetheless, Rutgers has requested additional exposure at MSG for Super Saturday. So we will be playing more games at MSG, presumably half as the home team and half as the road team. There are advantages to playing at MSG and disadvantages to playing there, both for the team and fans. At one game per year, or less, the advantages probably outweigh the disadvantages in the long term.

That’s the company line.
We are in the league for TV eyes.
This isn’t a Super Saturday day.
Scheduled last minute after season tickets distributed.
Noon game time at MSG keeps down attendance.
RU has destroyed MSU last two times at the RAC.
Losses to Wiscy and Michigan have provided no tangible benefit to RU,
Nobody knows when next Garden game will be.
How does the benefit RU again.
Basketball players want to play in MSG. There needs to be no other reason.

Reactions: 365Poster24Seven
This is such an amusing thread. G-RUnit might have some good points, but if so, they get lost because he has his fact hopelessly wrong and he is imagining some conspiracy theory. He is being so obtuse in this thread, you have to consider that he is trolling.

Let's set the record straight on some of the facts:

• This game was not moved to MSG at the last minute. This game was originally scheduled in 2019 to be played in 2021 (https://dailytargum.com/article/2019/11/rutgers-basketball-big-ten-super-saturday-feature-2019) . Because the 2020-2021 season had no fan attendance due to covid, the MSG matchup was rescheduled to 2023. Then when the Knicks schedule was formed last summer, they had a game on the same day. So the Big Ten changed the location of this game to TBD, while they looked at alternate arenas and negotiated options with MSG. The result was the Big Ten game at noon and the NBA game in the evening.

• Rutgers was not forced into playing at MSG. When Rutgers and Maryland joined the Big Ten, the conference made a decision to have a greater east coast preference, including holding the Big Ten basketball tournament once in Washington, DC, and once in New York City. As part of the agreement with MSG to hold the 2018 basketball tournament there, the Big Ten agreed to holding 4 "Super Saturday" basketball-hockey double headers at MSG in 2016, 17, 18, and 19. Rutgers played in that original series once, and 7 other schools played basketball once in that original series.
The Big Ten and MSG decided to extend the series after 2019, and Rutgers requested more opportunities to play at MSG. At that time, Rutgers had just come off the 2018 Big Ten Tournament, where we had a huge advantage playing 35 miles from campus. Even though we were a 14 seed, we had huge fan turnout and won 2 games and played Purdue tough on Friday night. The exposure and support from that "Garden Statement" made Rutgers want to play more games at MSG. Therefore Rutgers was scheduled at a visiting team in 2020 and home team in 2021 (moved to this year).​

• Rutgers has not been treated unfairly in Super Saturday matchups. The original 4 game series featured Penn St, Rutgers, Minn, and Maryland each as home teams, and Michigan, Wisc, OSU, and Illinois each as road teams. When Rutgers requested additional exposure at MSG, we were given Rutgers at Michigan in 2020 and MSU at Rutgers being played this year. While through this season Rutgers will have played 3 Super Saturday matchups (2 home and 1 away), that is because we requested more. Michigan has played 2 Super Saturday matchups (1 home and 1 away). The other teams have all played 1 matchup. I could argue that the teams that got screwed are Penn St, Minnesota, and Maryland, since they gave up home games and never got a road game in return.

Now, G-RUnit has a point that gets lost because he has his head so far up his ass. In years where Rutgers gives up a home game, like this year, playing a home game at MSG is a disadvantage. This year Rutgers has a long shot to win the regular season title and a reasonable chance to finish in the top-4 and get a double-bye. But that task becomes more difficult because we got screwed out of a win at OSU, and we give up our home-court RAC advantage for this game. The fact that this evens out over the long term is not relevant to the fact that it is a disadvantage this season.

But this point does get counterbalanced with the fact that as a neutral court, this probably ends up being a quad 1 game whereas it would probably be quad 2 at the RAC. While this would help us on Selection Sunday, it is not enough of an advantage to offset giving up a home game.

Nonetheless, Rutgers has requested additional exposure at MSG for Super Saturday. So we will be playing more games at MSG, presumably half as the home team and half as the road team. There are advantages to playing at MSG and disadvantages to playing there, both for the team and fans. At one game per year, or less, the advantages probably outweigh the disadvantages in the long term.

Great points.

However, when we play at MSG we should be taking that arena over with 15K fans.

While it might not have the acoustics or student section of the RAC, there is no excuse with the way this program is playing and the hundreds of thousands of alumni within 60 miles we shouldn’t be taking MSG over and making is a legit home game.

We’ll probably have 10K fans there in a couple weeks, but we should be able to sell that place out once a year.

Reactions: wheezer
I have to believe anyone complaining about playing a nationally televised game in msg (that alternates between being a home or away game every year) is either trolling or has an iq under 55.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I have to believe anyone complaining about playing a nationally televised game in msg (that alternates between being a home or away game every year) is either trolling or has an iq under 55.
I wanna get out they keep dragging me back in!! Games are nationally televised anyway. Two RU games at MSG so far have resulted in two losses including one in OT. I personally don’t believe two neutral site games in the Garden is worth giving up one home game. Play Gonzaga or Duke or any non conference games in the Garden. Don’t give up home court advantage in a conference game. And nobody on this board knows when next Garden game will be. Hell, RU didn’t even know about this game when season tickets were distributed this year. That’s how last minute this game was. 12:00 start? That’ll bring in the most fans possible. No Saturday Special either. And having absolutely destroyed MSU last two times at home… MSU is jumping for joy and one could easily wonder if it was their idea in the first place. So spare me on what a brilliant deal this is. Neither trolling nor a limited IQ. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Two RU games at MSG so far have resulted in two losses including one in OT.
One of those (Wisconsin) we were terrible, 3-15 in conference, so who even cares? The other replaced a game that would have been played AT Michigan, which obviously would have made us even less likely to win.

This is the same sort of thing people were doing with the Breslin center. We’ve never won there because Michigan State was always way better than us until very recently. It has nothing to do with the place.
I personally don’t believe two neutral site games in the Garden is worth giving up one home game.
It’s two neutral for one road + one home. Not liking it is fine, but it’s not a disadvantage overall.
And nobody on this board knows when next Garden game will be.
This seems to be false, but sure if the Big Ten doesn’t give us a road game there then we can talk. There is no indication they won’t as they did last time.
No Saturday Special either.
It is Big Ten Super Saturday. I guess your point is that there is no wrestling or whatever?
And having absolutely destroyed MSU last two times at home… MSU is jumping for joy and one could easily wonder if it was their idea in the first place. So spare me on what a brilliant deal this is. Neither trolling nor a limited IQ. Thank you very much.
No this is where the 55 IQ comes in. Ridiculous Tom Izzo lizard person conspiracy theories.

Reactions: RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT