ADVERTISEMENT

Why so many transfers article

And on top of all that, new 'no-sit-out' and 'free extra year' rules have made this offseason period 10times worse.

So many reasons mentioned in the article.............Yes, social media is definitely a major factor, in my opinion. In the sense that I've heard some psychologists say that it makes people feel like they are less than when they see others plastering their rosy lifestyles on social media. Leading to a 'grass is greener' mentality. That's a recipe for problems if you have players in your program who don't manage social media well.

The way players today have formed close relationship with so many other players due to AAU/Club teams, they have so many other players that they follow in programs all over the country. Easy to think, ...'maybe I should have gone there with so and so cause'.... the grass looks greener.

I'm recovering from pneumonia, amongst other things. Thank goodness the hospital had no computers/newspapers, might have made be relapse. So now I'm trying to catch up, and feeling ill again. Something is very, very wrong in P'way, not that I needed to point that out.
#1, pronto, get a couple of top notch offensive minded coaches. #2 Get a sports psychologist to deal with what is left of the group, both coaches, and entire team. Move on these things ASAP!

I'm recovering from pneumonia, amongst other things. Thank goodness the hospital had no computers/newspapers, might have made be relapse. So now I'm trying to catch up, and feeling ill again. Something is very, very wrong in P'way, not that I needed to point that out.
#1, pronto, get a couple of top notch offensive minded coaches. #2 Get a sports psychologist to deal with what is left of the group, both coaches, and entire team. Move on these things ASAP!
My well wishes to you and your health. Don't let this news bother you too much. I don't know that there is something wrong here. I wouldn't think that Tekia and Mael's entrance in the portal is a sign that there is a problem. They were there for 4 years and have a heralded group of youngster waiting to get their turn. Seeing Arella moving on, out into the world, has got to make Tekia feel a little bit weird there without her running mate on the court. Four years is a long time, especially when your classmates graduate and are moving on with their lives.

Of course, we'd love to know the situation behind Diamond and Zippy. They are already missed but I've already just put that in the category of, It is what it is. We have no choice but to move on and focus on those who want to be here. I'm sure we will enjoy watching them. I know that I will.

That's a recipe for problems if you have players in your program who don't manage social media well.
I don't know T.Mack's plans, but I do know that she was affected by the changing sentiments directed her way after running into the ref. I felt like she was unfairly vilified for being an emotional , energetic player. I never got the sense that her energy on the court was intended to disrespect the opponent. As she expressed many times, and correctly IMO, the team needed her to be their hype person for them to get going and get in a flow. She brought what she felt the team needed. I loved what she brought to the program. A strong and different personality that I found to be endearing. Did she make mistakes?.....They all make some mistakes at that age. Yea, she's got some growing up to do. I agree, continued world exposure will do her well. I think this is a case of a person being misunderstood.

No way, a player who laid it all out there on the floor each and every game for RU deserves some of the comments that I've seen directed her way. It's disgraceful! Not surprising, for a player we know paid attention to social media, to be ready to move on from that.

Last edited:
Regarding Mack I saw her getting in the face of teammates several times and wonder if that is connected to Diamond and Zippy? Yes the real issue is why Zippy and DJ left which I am sure we will never know.

Thanks for the article. Excellent insight. Two questions crossed my mind after reading the article: 1) 9.9% transferred during the 2014-2015 year. I wonder what it is today? It certainly seems much greater now. 2) In Politi's article he mentioned how C Viv. is not one to change at least with her practices and work ethic. This article clearly brought out that today's coaches HAVE TO CHANGE in order to get through to the new breed of athlete. They can no longer act like drill sergeants and use abusive language and the article brought up great coaches like Pat Summitt and Jody Conradt, that fit that mold. I wonder if C Viv's way of coaching just rubs today's kids the wrong way. To basically lose your entire backcourt is not a good look.

Reactions: RUcrazee
Thanks for the article. Excellent insight. Two questions crossed my mind after reading the article: 1) 9.9% transferred during the 2014-2015 year. I wonder what it is today? It certainly seems much greater now. 2) In Politi's article he mentioned how C Viv. is not one to change at least with her practices and work ethic. This article clearly brought out that today's coaches HAVE TO CHANGE in order to get through to the new breed of athlete. They can no longer act like drill sergeants and use abusive language and the article brought up great coaches like Pat Summitt and Jody Conradt, that fit that mold. I wonder if C Viv's way of coaching just rubs today's kids the wrong way. To basically lose your entire backcourt is not a good look.
This is a telling part of that article:
>She has adapted many times before and relishes the new challenge.
“Believe it or not, today, before I got on the phone to talk to you?” Stringer said. “Guess what, we were in the portal. We’re getting in that portal. We’re going to go with the flow. Whatever it is, that’s what we’re going to do.<
(In my opinion when reading between the > < ) Politi acknowledges CVS has adapted to the times when she needed to before and Vivian is acknowledging she knows the landscape of recruiting has changed and is adapting to the new recruiting world

The numbers are certainly higher this year due to the rule changes (no need to sit out a year) and the ability of players to play another year due to the pandemic. We will never find out why Diamond and Zippy left but the vast majority of the team stayed so it can’t be that bad. Mael and Tekia are a totally different story. Most kids don’t go to graduate school at their undergraduate school. This is an opportunity for them to expand their horizons. You never know, they could still return.

Reactions: RU MAN
This is a telling part of that article:
>She has adapted many times before and relishes the new challenge.
“Believe it or not, today, before I got on the phone to talk to you?” Stringer said. “Guess what, we were in the portal. We’re getting in that portal. We’re going to go with the flow. Whatever it is, that’s what we’re going to do.<
(In my opinion when reading between the > < ) Politi acknowledges CVS has adapted to the times when she needed to before and Vivian is acknowledging she knows the landscape of recruiting has changed and is adapting to the new recruiting world
I hope you're right.

MBB took the lead with the number of transfers, maybe 1300 this year. WBB will follow suit. There will be movement all over the place.

The new reality. Freshmen transferring after 1 year, upperclassmen not happy with playing time transferring and of course, grad transfers.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Regarding Mack I saw her getting in the face of teammates several times and wonder if that is connected to Diamond and Zippy? Yes the real issue is why Zippy and DJ left which I am sure we will never know.
Having attended several practices, Tekia and Arella were like coaches on the court. They knew exactly what the coaches wanted and got frustrated when others on the team weren’t getting it. Was Tekia’s method of communicating abrasive to some? Perhaps, but I always read it as her wanting so much to win that she wanted to let teammates know when they didn’t run a play right or something to that effect. In that away game when she was seen yelling at Diamond on the court, I also noticed that Tekia went over to Diamond at the next timeout, seemingly to make things right as I saw Diamond nodding.

No, #1 pronto is, you get better soon then we'll worry about basketball.

DJ left as did Zippy and her Twitter announcement stated “No bullying”. She would not post that unless she felt bullied and one person on the team was seen berating her in public during games. DJ came here because of CVS and what she found out when here about our program made her unhappy and she left after 1 productive year. Spin it any way you want. That is a fact.

DJ left as did Zippy and her Twitter announcement stated “No bullying”. She would not post that unless she felt bullied and one person on the team was seen berating her in public during games. DJ came here because of CVS and what she found out when here about our program made her unhappy and she left after 1 productive year. Spin it any way you want. That is a fact.
Your guess is as good as mine, and Zippy posting about bullying might have been because of false rumors that she felt had to be set straight.
DJ for whatever reason decided RU wasn't a good fit and it could have been something that had nothing to do with CVS .
We can speculate all we want and usually our speculation is based on our own personal likes and dislikes in order to imply a reason why something happened

No one transfers if they are happy, correct? Either she did not like the system of play, the coach or coaches or teammates. Take your pick.

No one transfers if they are happy, correct? Either she did not like the system of play, the coach or coaches or teammates. Take your pick.
Or none of the above. She may have noticed that NC State was a #1 seed in this past Tourney and went to the Elite Eight and has brought the whole team back except 1 transfer(that I know of) and added a good player in Madison Hayes from Miss St.

She appears to me to be playing with a chip on her shoulder. And rightfully so after the McD AA snub. She knows that RU is not considered a potential #1 seed for next season. And I think she is dying to show that she is as good as anybody in the country , especially the freshman that ran away with the bulk of recognition this year..........Bueckers and Clark. She wants to be assured of being on the big stage to have that opportunity.

And, again, we can't forget that NBA free agency influence on college athletes , (ex.- James Harden to Brooklyn to create a super team to try to ensure a FF or championship run) . The "taking my talents to....." era.

As for Tekia and the Ref, officials are supposed to be aware and not impede the athletes. As for Tekia’s exuberance, if this was baseball she would be seeing a lot of brush back pitches and chin music.

RU Crazee
Then she left because she thought the players left were not that great and the coaches would not get them to the level needed to win a lot of games. You can’t have everything your way.

• Haha
Reactions: Scarletwoman
RU Crazee
Then she left because she thought the players left were not that great and the coaches would not get them to the level needed to win a lot of games. You can’t have everything your way.
Now you know why she left.
Before it was :
"No one transfers if they are happy, correct? Either she did not like the system of play, the coach or coaches or teammates. Take your pick."
Face it you're projecting what makes you happy thinking and the reason is really unknown, but easy to make speculation into fact if you want to.
The players that were left might not have been the problem, the coaching staff might not have been either, she might have loved the fanbase, but something outside the system made her decide RU wasn't for her.
Is what I'm saying a bunch of BS made by someone( me 😉) that is protecting the program's image ?
That sounds like it could be true, but so is your new opinion:>"she thought the players left were not that great and the coaches would not get them to the level needed to win a lot of games."< (by you 😲) was made by someone looking for a way to knock the program.

RU Crazee
What you're saying in this statement is not the same thing as what you said in the original post. There is a difference between; a)disliking a system, coach, or teammates, and b)feeling that you can go to a team that is further along in the quest to reach the big stage than your current team.

I don't think either of us has had a discussion with Diamond about her reasons, so we are both speculating. I never dismissed any of your options, I just added another one to them. The reality could be that it is any one of them, a little bit of all of them, could be none of them, or other that we haven't mentioned.

Has nothing to do with me having everything my way. You know I like to see any topic of discussion for 'the way it is'. Are you sure that you're not expressing your own wishful thinking?

And what is "a lot of games"? We win a lot of games every year with the exception of the 6-26 year and maybe two or three near .500 seasons.

I think most on here would agree, including myself, that NC State, with AA post Cunane, and their main core back from this year's #1 seeded team has players that are more experienced and developed at this time than the RU roster.

Are you saying that I'm offbase with my statements?

Thanks Mad, you beat me to it. I took forever to finish writing my post. Wow, your post is as if you were reading my mind. I'm just a much slower typist.

Last edited:
Is what I'm saying a bunch of BS made by someone( me 😉) that is protecting the program's image ?
Not necessarily BS, it's just keeping it balanced on here. Since none of us know the real deal, we shouldn't just mention the worst possible scenarios and do so in such matter-of-fact tones.

Just happened to come across this interview. I found it interesting.

This is a case where I would be concerned as a fan of the program. As a player, I would have a tough time trusting a coach who operates like that. Recruits commit to him but he's telling them that he isn't committed to them when he wants to bring in 21 on the roster and let them fight it out for playing time. Soon as I hear that, I'm out the door too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletteK80
I am a long time season ticket holder and fan of the women’s program. I have admired CVS and her toughness and the attitude instilled in the players. I am also a realist who wants the program to reach new heights. When your star player comes here to play for legendary coach CVS and quits after one year, something is wrong in Diamond’s mind or she would still be here. What is it? Reading Diamond’s tweet of No Bullying should makes one question if that existed here, especially in this day and age. I would not replace CVS for many reasons. However, her best days are behind her whether she knows it herself. I will root for them as I do for every team, most of which I have season tickets. I just temper my expectations for future success unless changes occur in the program. Unless Diamond goes on the record as to why she left, my explanations are as good as anyone. I hope this explains my position and thoughts.

I am a long time season ticket holder and fan of the women’s program. I have admired CVS and her toughness and the attitude instilled in the players. I am also a realist who wants the program to reach new heights. When your star player comes here to play for legendary coach CVS and quits after one year, something is wrong in Diamond’s mind or she would still be here. What is it? Reading Diamond’s tweet of No Bullying should makes one question if that existed here, especially in this day and age. I would not replace CVS for many reasons. However, her best days are behind her whether she knows it herself. I will root for them as I do for every team, most of which I have season tickets. I just temper my expectations for future success unless changes occur in the program. Unless Diamond goes on the record as to why she left, my explanations are as good as anyone. I hope this explains my position and thought
Yes, your position is fully understood and respected. Believe it or not, I don't disagree with some of your opinions. I just don't agree with stating things in absolute certain terms without firsthand knowledge on the issue. When you say it must be a, b, or c,.......... you can't get mad at the person who points out that there are numerous other possible reasons. And you can't just list the most negative ones!

I may have been the first on here to kinda hint that there may be a connection between the 'no bully' and a teammate's action that we witnessed. I just wanted to be careful not to put something out there when I have no real knowledge on it. Bullying is a whole different level than a scolding on a play. 'No bully' could be anyone she has come across on campus. Can't automatically tie it to the program.

Here's where we are also thinking along the same lines but just to varying degrees.

Speaking in the vernacular of today's youngsters, I think maybe, Diamond just was "not feeling" CVS's coaching style. I got that feeling from her responses when interviewed at the start of the season. She clearly wasn't used to the level of detail during practices. She did say that after reflecting on it, she realized the importance of the details. She just didn't sound too convincing to me that she was truly ok with that.

Notice I started with, "I think....' Because I could easily be wrong.

"Not feeling" something/someone, is speaking to a personal preference, while "not liking", as applied in the context of this issue, can easily imply that a problem exists.

Thanks for pointing out those facts.I will preface future statements accordingly. My opinion is Diamond and Zippy were unhappy with something either about Rutgers or the RU women’s basketball program which caused them to enter the transfer portal resulting in their transfer to NC State and Florida respectively. Those reasons for dissatisfaction are known only to Diamond and Zippy. I guess Gilles falls into the same category. I am glad CVS is dipping into the transfer portal and hope she surprises some of the doubters and makes the NCAAs next year

Thanks for pointing out those facts.I will preface future statements accordingly. My opinion is Diamond and Zippy were unhappy with something either about Rutgers or the RU women’s basketball program which caused them to enter the transfer portal resulting in their transfer to NC State and Florida respectively. Those reasons for dissatisfaction are known only to Diamond and Zippy. I guess Gilles falls into the same category. I am glad CVS is dipping into the transfer portal and hope she surprises some of the doubters and makes the NCAAs next year
Making the NCAA's should not be our goal; our goal should be minimum sweet 16 every year and we all know what the last 12 years have brought us!!

Making the NCAA's should not be our goal; our goal should be minimum sweet 16 every year and we all know what the last 12 years have brought us!!
Actually the goal for every College Athletic Program should be take it all , be it WBB or another sport
Sweet 16 goal is nice, but even if unrealistic , a National Championship should be the preseason goal of every college WBB fan for their school.
As it stands, even with the defections , RU's roster is looking like it can make the sweet 16 due to the new additions to team and the talented sophomores learning the college game in freshman season

Last edited:
Crickets on the Q Hillsman article/interview that I posted about five posts back. ???

Well, it is getting worse. Kamilla Cardosa the 6'6" post is now in the portal.

That makes 12, I think, that have entered the portal. That's problematic.

Crickets on the Q Hillsman article/interview that I posted about five posts back. ???

Well, it is getting worse. Kamilla Cardosa the 6'6" post is now in the portal.

That makes 12, I think, that have entered the portal. That's problematic.
Crickets also on the transfer additions to RU's roster by the sky is falling crowd.
Seems when things look a little brighter, they head for the shade .
Yestersday was bashless Monday because of two-time First Team All-MAC Oshlynn Brown being posted as transfering in and the signing of junior college All-American Awa Sidibe.

I always thought Hillman was an idiot and I would not go go play for him if I were a young girl
I don't know if he is an idiot, but I am certain that he is an odd bird. There were some features on him a few years back that left me shaking my head. Not my cup of tea, to be honest.

I don't know if he is an idiot, but I am certain that he is an odd bird. There were some features on him a few years back that left me shaking my head. Not my cup of tea, to be honest.
Yes, 'idiot" may be a bit harsh. He was definitely the opposing coach that you just loved to hate. Those sideline faces he would make always made me laugh.................unless they were beating us.

Yes, 'idiot" may be a bit harsh. He was definitely the opposing coach that you just loved to hate. Those sideline faces he would make always made me laugh.................unless they were beating us.
It may be a Syracuse thing. Jim Boeheim’s sideline faces always make me thing he has some stomach distress!

Just thinking about this 100m.p.h. portal activity and it's long term effects. For the student-athletes, there will definitely be plenty of lessons learned, one way or another. They are making huge decisions about where to call "home" during the middle of a whirlwind storm that's moving pieces all over the place. We knew this would be a different kind of offseason than what we're used to, but as much as we expected lots of movement, it's gotta be exceeding most of our expectations in terms of .......craziness.

While everybody is getting adjusted, I feel sorry for the difficult situations that a lot of student-athletes are finding themselves in. The initial decision when choosing a coach and school from HS is a huge one. Many probably chose with a 4-year outlook in mind. That is completely out the window. You know that you may lose a teammate or two to transfer, but this, what we are witnessing now, has to have some players stressing out. Competition for your spot is now coming from in front of you(jrs, srs, grad transfers) as well as behind (HS recruits). Players don't know what the team will look like the next season and can't project/predict their own playing time, and on a larger scale, their college bball experience.

I don't really know the details about max. no. of roster spots allowed at the current time. I recall reading somewhere that it's currently 15, but next year goes to.... 'as many as you want'. Is this true? That will only make the situation worse (although Q Hillsman may discourage coaches from wanting to go too far above 15).

The good news is, that our situation at RU is a good one in terms of experienced newcomers that can only help the development of our young core, keeping them from being asked to do more than they are ready to do at this point. They will get plenty of playing time and, thanks to the experienced help, can continue to enjoy winning while they settle into P5 level basketball.

Last edited:
I don't really know the details about max. no. of roster spots allowed at the current time. I recall reading somewhere that it's currently 15, but next year goes to.... 'as many as you want'. Is this true? That will only make the situation worse (although Q Hillsman may discourage coaches from wanting to go too far above 15).
I think the base number remains 15 with players taking advantage of the extra year (super seniors, so called) not counting against that number.

I must give CVS and the coaches credit for attacking the transfer portal so it shows her star is still shining with young women. Now go mold them into a cohesive team which is the real test

You can only pull so much from social media, but it seems like Diamond remains close with members of the team, congratulating Arella on getting drafted and hanging out with Liz Martino. This is only to reinforce--we have no idea why players decide to transfer unless they speak to it themselves. And our assumptions can be very off base.

ADVERTISEMENT