ADVERTISEMENT

Why was Clemson a given?

RUsojo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2010
I gotta say it feels like Clemson road to the playoff unquestioned and IMO it's because of last years success. I dont believe they had any more of a reason to not have their merit questioned then Washington, Penn St, or Michigan.

All they did was beat a 4 loss Auburn team by one score, a 3 loss FSU by one score, and eventually disappointing Louisville by one score.

I don't think the committee got it wrong, virtually all teams were worthy of discussion, but if I had it my way Alabama, Ohio St, Washington, and Penn St (or Michigan) would've been the pick.

I'm just surprised Clemson was a "lock" leading up to the announcement.

I gotta say it feels like Clemson road to the playoff unquestioned and IMO it's because of last years success. I dont believe they had any more of a reason to not have their merit questioned then Washington, Penn St, or Michigan.

All they did was beat a 4 loss Auburn team by one score, a 3 loss FSU by one score, and eventually disappointing Louisville by one score.

I don't think the committee got it wrong, virtually all teams were worthy of discussion, but if I had it my way Alabama, Ohio St, Washington, and Penn St (or Michigan) would've been the pick.

Don't disagree. Think the ACC is the weakest P5 conference (even the Big 12). After Clemson, FSU, and Louisville, it is pretty mediocre.

Don't disagree. Think the ACC is the weakest P5 conference (even the Big 12). After Clemson, FSU, and Louisville, it is pretty mediocre.
After Michigan, OSU, the Big 10 is definitely not much better than the ACC.

I mean you had the 5th best team in the ACC (Pitt) thump the Big10 champion lol.

Top to bottom the ACC is better than the Big 10 THIS year.

Reactions: money3189
I think its hilarious that you think ACC don't have other good teams. That's like me saying outside of U Mich OSU, and Penn st. there's no other good teams in the B10. Wissy is equivalent to VT, The rest of the teams in the west are mediocre. Miami, UNC, Pitt or even GT would beat them. Your infatuation of the B10 got you believing there's no other good teams in the East coast. Its hilarious. Football is all about QB play and the ACC had some of the best QB's in the country.

Last edited:
I think the whole thing comes down to where you started in the preseason rankings and whether anyone did enough to unseat that perception of you.

After Michigan, OSU, the Big 10 is definitely not much better than the ACC.

I mean you had the 5th best team in the ACC (Pitt) thump the Big10 champion lol.

Top to bottom the ACC is better than the Big 10 THIS year.
Thank you. Miami was the only team to really beat Pitt. they could have won the 3 other games they lost. Miami destroys Pitt and Pitt beat your Big10 champ. A mediocre rebuilding Miami team would be 4th or 5th best team in the B10

I think its hilarious that you think ACC have other good teams. That's like me saying outside of U Mich OSU, and Penn st. there's no other good teams in the B10. Wissy is equivalent to VT, The rest of the teams in the west are mediocre. Miami, UNC, Pitt or even GT would beat them. Your infatuation of the B10 got you believing there's no other good teams in the East coast. Its hilarious. Football is all about QB play and the ACC had some of the best QB's in the country.

Oh and

[roll]

Thank you. Miami was the only team to really beat Pitt. they could have won the 3 other games they lost. Miami destroys Pitt and Pitt beat your Big10 champ. A mediocre rebuilding Miami team would be 4th or 5th best team in the B10

Stop it. Wisonsin is clearly better than Virginia tech. The big 10s lower class isn't pretty but Virginia tech and Florida state don't crack the top 6 in the big.

Stop it. Wisonsin is clearly better than Virginia tech. The big 10s lower class isn't pretty but Virginia tech and Florida state don't crack the top 6 in the big.
clearly? penn st scored like 30 in one half. Wisconsin defense kept them in games this year. It got exposed last night with a creative passing game. Their Offense was not impressive all year. They had inconsistency at the QB position. Wisconsin and VT would actually be a good game. VT has better athletes.

And it ends the same as Siberacuse's "big" season.

[roll]

Please keep going .. this is a ton of fun.
Oh u should know me better than that. SU insults dont effect me. I will join in with you on that lol. They can lose every year for all I care. Im watching hoops games and getting ready for lax season. I enjoy seeing you guys become the laughing stock of the country. Wow 2006 was a long time ago. Window closed and locked.

LOL! This is so freakin' stupid I don't even know where to start.

Oh u should know me better than that. SU insults dont effect me. I will join in with you on that lol. They can lose every year for all I care. Im watching hoops games and getting ready for lax season. I enjoy seeing you guys become the laughing stock of the country. Wow 2006 was a long time ago. Window closed and locked.

Not as long as 1998 or 1959. [jumpingsmile]

Told ya ... lots of fun!

and it cracks me up that rutgers fans try to diss the ACC because they are so happy to be in the prestigious B10 so they can take prestigious butt whippings.
Instead of trolling a Rutgers board why don't you do something more productive with your copious spare time? Maybe you could raise funds for victims of child sex abuse, for example. Bake some cookies and some scones, have a bake sale at your local church or Wawa.

clearly? penn st scored like 30 in one half. Wisconsin defense kept them in games this year. It got exposed last night with a creative passing game. Their Offense was not impressive all year. They had inconsistency at the QB position. Wisconsin and VT would actually be a good game. VT has better athletes.

Penn state is the 5th ranked team in the country. Wisconsin beat lsu and Nebraska and held their own against Ohio state, Michigan and penn state. Virginia tech barely beat notre dame and lost to a bad Georgia tech and mediocre Tennessee. They are not close.

Not as long as 1998 or 1959. [jumpingsmile]

Told ya ... lots of fun!
Since you think it hurts, I'm gonna play along for you. Your right, that's a long time ago. We suck now, why do we even have a team, our city sucks, its cold and snowy. Our conference sucks. Why does syracuse exist?

I would have loved to see Clemson lose. The PSU vs Michigan battle for the last spot would have been a classic $$$$

Penn state is the 5th ranked team in the country. Wisconsin beat lsu and Nebraska and held their own against Ohio state, Michigan and penn state. Virginia tech barely beat notre dame and lost to a bad Georgia tech and mediocre Tennessee. They are not close.
Nebraska was not that great. They beat the teams they were suppose to beat. They didnt look impressive when they did win. Wisconsin still lost to those teams. LSU had a off year. VT held their own against Clemson and beat Pitt who beat penn st. ND had an off year too. GTech also beat Georgia. Who were ranked mot of the season. So they are capable.

Love the ACC guys. B1G has four of the top 8 teams in the nation. You've got one.

The rest is humminah, humminah, humminah.
Im not debating that. I think it had the best division this year. Harbaugh joining UMich and Franklin improving Penn st has made the conference better. Im just saying the ACC has better top to bottom teams. Louisville and possibly Vtech can beat Wisconsin.

Instead of trolling a Rutgers board why don't you do something more productive with your copious spare time? Maybe you could raise funds for victims of child sex abuse, for example. Bake some cookies and some scones, have a bake sale at your local church or Wawa.
Nice, that's what I'll do.

Im not debating that. I think it had the best division this year. Harbaugh joining UMich and Franklin improving Penn st has made the conference better. Im just saying the ACC has better top to bottom teams. Louisville and possibly Vtech can beat Wisconsin.

Louisville jumped the shark when they got pounded by what turned out to be a pretty disappointing Houston team. Let's not make Louisville out to be anything elite. I'm not even entertaining VaTech.

Agreed. Was thinking the same

Louisville jumped the shark when they got pounded by what turned out to be a pretty disappointing Houston team. Let's not make Louisville out to be anything elite. I'm not even entertaining VaTech.
Louisville was a top 6 team most of the season. They had a bad outing vs Houston. It happens. Just ask Penn st. who won the Big 10. I like Louisville's athletes vs Wisconsin's. Only advantage for Wisconsin is their defense but the best player in the nation can take over a game at anytime.

Why does Washington get in before Clemson?

and it cracks me up that rutgers fans try to diss the ACC because they are so happy to be in the prestigious B10 so they can take prestigious butt whippings.
What bowl game do you think your fruit will be going to.[laughing]
Can't find info on the 2015 bowl Syracuse went to and while you're at it:
what bowl did the Orange get a bid to in 2014.
Guess you're defending the ACC because Syracuse is having a tough time competing in it.
Don't try to change the subject to basketball, we're talking about the fruitless Football team.

Comparing the 2 conferences is f*cking absurd, ignorant, and nothing but trolling. The B1G is head-and-shoulders above the All Crap Conference right now. It's not even close.

Last edited:
Clemson and Washington deserve to be in because they are the one loss P5 conference champions. Bama is a clear #1 undefeated SEC champ, one loss OSU punches its ticket on the merits of their schedule, having beaten 3 top ten teams, 2 on the road, and your two one loss champs round out the field.

Since you think it hurts, I'm gonna play along for you. Your right, that's a long time ago. We suck now, why do we even have a team, our city sucks, its cold and snowy. Our conference sucks. Why does syracuse exist?

Because the inuit need an education?

What bowl game do you think your fruit will be going to.[laughing]
Can't find info on the 2015 bowl Syracuse went to and while you're at it:
what bowl did the Orange get a bid to in 2014.
Guess you're defending the ACC because Syracuse is having a tough time competing in it.
Don't try to change the subject to basketball, we're talking about the fruitless Football team.
Never said SU didnt suck this year. They did. It doesnt bother me because there's no commitment to that sport. No one cares about football in NYS, but they do in NJ. When are you going to admit that rutgers suck. Ive always thought ACC was a good conference. Great in football, hoops and lax. I defend B10 teams too. I think its a great football conference with great tradition. So what's your point?

Comparing the 2 conferences is f*cking absurd, ignorant, and nothing but trolling. The B1G is head-and-shoulders above the All Crap Conference right now. It's not even close.
Don't see many athletes on those teams. They look slow with the exception of OSU, UMIch, amd maybe Penn st. ACC just have better players.

Most Represented Conferences in NFL Draft Between 2005-15.
1 SEC
2 ACC
3 Big Ten
4 Pac-12
5 Big 12
6 Mountain West

The first reason is, overall record. Clemson (12-1) has a better record than Penn St. (11-2) and Michigan (10-2). Obviously, your overall record is a big factor, otherwise Penn St. would have been in over Ohio St. Two losses seems to be somewhat of a cut line for the committee.

When you get to resume, Clemson beat 4 teams in the final CFP poll. Penn St and Michigan beat 3 each. Washington also beat 4. Then there is strength of schedule. We don't know the actual committee ranking. However, if you look on ESPN's site, Clemson's SOS is #33. Penn St. is 40, Michigan is 54, and Washington is 55. Really, there isn't a reason to leave out Clemson unless you just want to.

You didn't mention this, but I saw that a couple of other posters said the ACC was the worst P5 league. Not true. Here is how the P5 conferences performed this season:

Big Ten
7-4 .636 vs. P5
32-10 .762 Overall
SEC
6-8 .429
42-12 .778
ACC
9-6 .600
42-14 .750
Pac 12
5-5 .500
26-10 .722
Big 12
2-6 .250
19-11 .633

Clearly, the Big 12 was the worst conference. They are the only league below .700 overall, and they were only .250 against P5 teams. The ACC was 3rd overall, and 2nd only to the Big Ten vs. P5 teams, (although they had the most P5 wins).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT