ADVERTISEMENT

Will Johns Hopkins be a member of the CIC

its not happening.

there was never any statements on behalf of the big ten or johns hopkins that they would be in the CIC.

journalists and fans just assumed it would happen. its been years and it hasnt.

ive read hopkins has no interest in it. they are part of other alliances and it has been good to them

Johnny+hopkins_08488e_5219671.png

Reactions: VW Knight
Zero chance of that. And rightfully so.
I only say that if another one (or even two) B1G schools steps up and starts a men's side. Like the way Michigan did.

I liken the move of bringing in Hop to what Miami brought the old Big East Football Conference when they joined...instant credibility. It was a great and smart move by the B1G. But with the difference between the way B1G does things (with the additional programs) versus the Big East, the B1G could survive and flourish with a departure of a school like the Blue Jays....keep' em until we don't need'em.

You are underestimating the Maryland/Hopkins relationship. Though football rules the roost, it was absolutely a part of the discussion to bring Maryland into the fold. That rivalry goes deep. Real deep, to people that matter at both institutions.

Hopkins isn't going anywhere unless Hopkins wants to, and there is little chance they will want to go independent. Those days are over. And having them is great, as will having other B1G programs. It's an AND situation not OR. Hopkins brings a lot to the table. Talk of cutting them out is purely short sighted. Actually, no sighted. There isn't even short term gain.

Reactions: RUMountie
I would love them to be in the CIC. But I don't know if that was even discussed.
I doubt Hopkins or ND will be in the CIC. Not sure that's a good thing for one sport members, especially since both hockey and lacrosse are growing and conference affiliations could change.

You are underestimating the Maryland/Hopkins relationship. Though football rules the roost, it was absolutely a part of the discussion to bring Maryland into the fold. That rivalry goes deep. Real deep, to people that matter at both institutions.

Hopkins isn't going anywhere unless Hopkins wants to, and there is little chance they will want to go independent. Those days are over. And having them is great, as will having other B1G programs. It's an AND situation not OR. Hopkins brings a lot to the table. Talk of cutting them out is purely short sighted. Actually, no sighted. There isn't even short term gain.
My understanding of the agreement is there a time when either or both (B1G/JHU) can revisit it and decide on what the future should be. And that could include the parting of the ways.

But I'm not sure why what conference your in dictates whether or not if Maryland and Hop can continue playing? If the rivalry really matters and I am sure it does, they will figure it out. It was fine in the ACC days so why wouldn't it work now?

I just prefer an all in type of thing with no concessions for "special" members.

Reactions: 17Q66
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 10:23 PM
To: wisc.edu>
Subject: The CIC is now the Big Ten Academic Alliance

29e58f62d7f26f8cffd9f032_360x204.jpg

The CIC Is Now the Big Ten Academic Alliance

Dear Colleague:

Today, we are excited to announce that the Committee on Institutional Cooperation is now the Big Ten Academic Alliance.

Our new name directly and succinctly explains who we are and what we do, and eliminates confusion with other CICs (e.g., the Council of Independent Colleges).

Since 1958, our universities have collaborated to save money, build powerful academic and research connections, and increase opportunities for students and faculty. As our programs and initiatives increased in size and scope and achieved greater national impact, it became evident that the words “committee on institutional cooperation” did not reflect our work and made it difficult to engage with important stakeholders such as policy makers, government officials, and others outside of higher education.

The Big Ten Academic Alliance is arguably the nation’s preeminent model for effective collaboration among research universities. Our new identity will elevate awareness about the impact of these great universities on the region and the nation.

All best,

c885e86d15c8b59f3a7e8030_560x184.jpeg

Karen Hanson
Chair, Big Ten Academic Alliance
Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost
University of Minnesota

16ed6527f99d286cf80e2c08_560x112.jpg

Barbara McFadden Allen
Executive Director
Big Ten Academic Alliance

spacer.gif

To continue receiving our emails, add us to your address book.

uks6ib

It's not an idea. It was just announced. Under the new name change, Chicago is no longer a formal member although collaborations will continue

Still an idea, albeit one that came to fruition. It's a shame that Chicago is gone.

My understanding of the agreement is there a time when either or both (B1G/JHU) can revisit it and decide on what the future should be. And that could include the parting of the ways.

But I'm not sure why what conference your in dictates whether or not if Maryland and Hop can continue playing? If the rivalry really matters and I am sure it does, they will figure it out. It was fine in the ACC days so why wouldn't it work now?

I just prefer an all in type of thing with no concessions for "special" members.

They signed a 5 year deal. The B1G has been kind to Hopkins, and Hopkins has given exposure to B1G teams. I would be absolutely shocked if the relationship doesn't continue. It's what the brass at both schools wanted. Hopkins and Maryland in the same conference.

Hopkins is special like having ND football in the B1G would be special. It's the best thing the school has to offer from a non academic standpoint. The bluest of blue bloods of the sport. It's a win for the B1G and the teams in the conference, which by the way, none are on the horizon to field a men's team. We want them, the want us. It's a solid marriage.

They signed a 5 year deal. The B1G has been kind to Hopkins, and Hopkins has given exposure to B1G teams. I would be absolutely shocked if the relationship doesn't continue. It's what the brass at both schools wanted. Hopkins and Maryland in the same conference.

Hopkins is special like having ND football in the B1G would be special. It's the best thing the school has to offer from a non academic standpoint. The bluest of blue bloods of the sport. It's a win for the B1G and the teams in the conference, which by the way, none are on the horizon to field a men's team. We want them, the want us. It's a solid marriage.
Agree.

But in any relationship sometimes things change and the partners over time grow apart because both want different things. Maybe in 5 years it's even stronger, maybe in 5 years it's not.

Hopkins brings nothing to the table (taking about sports in reply to above who said they bring lots) they only take away. We beat them twice, home and away including in a postseason tournament and had a better record and beat more ranked teams and they had many of their wins to come in OT or by 1 goal, and the NCAA still chose them over RU. They bring NOTHING for us and don't say "well for the conference" I don't care what they bring for Maryland Penn State or Michigan or whoever they are a parasite to Rutgers. And while a good school they're not in the BIGAA so who cares !!!

Reactions: CERU00
Agree.

But in any relationship sometimes things change and the partners over time grow apart because both want different things. Maybe in 5 years it's even stronger, maybe in 5 years it's not.

Hopkins isn't going anywhere. Inviting Hopkins and sponsoring men's lacrosse was a major sticking point to UMD. Maryland left the best lax conference in America for one full of burgeoning programs or teams that haven't done anything of note. Without Hopkins, Maryland's lacrosse conference would have zero credibility (the Terps notwithstanding) and that wasn't gonna fly for the Terps. It sounds odd that lax would matter that much to a school, and I'm not suggesting no Hopkins invite = no Maryland in the B1G, but the handling of men's lacrosse was a top-3 issue for Maryland at the bargaining table. Hopkins won't be leaving after 5 years.

Hopkins brings nothing to the table (taking about sports in reply to above who said they bring lots) they only take away. We beat them twice, home and away including in a postseason tournament and had a better record and beat more ranked teams and they had many of their wins to come in OT or by 1 goal, and the NCAA still chose them over RU. They bring NOTHING for us and don't say "well for the conference" I don't care what they bring for Maryland Penn State or Michigan or whoever they are a parasite to Rutgers. And while a good school they're not in the BIGAA so who cares !!!

As Cali put it, Hopkins LAX is like Notre Dame football. To say they bring nothing to the table is silly.

Reactions: RUMountie
Removing Chicago from the CIC is like saying MIT shouldn't be one of the top schools in the world. This is a huge mistake imho.

Hopkins isn't going anywhere. Inviting Hopkins and sponsoring men's lacrosse was a major sticking point to UMD. Maryland left the best lax conference in America for one full of burgeoning programs or teams that haven't done anything of note. Without Hopkins, Maryland's lacrosse conference would have zero credibility (the Terps notwithstanding) and that wasn't gonna fly for the Terps. It sounds odd that lax would matter that much to a school, and I'm not suggesting no Hopkins invite = no Maryland in the B1G, but the handling of men's lacrosse was a top-3 issue for Maryland at the bargaining table. Hopkins won't be leaving after 5 years.
Which Hopkins was NOT a member. So still can't understand why they still couldn't play if they aren't in the same conference.

And the traditional B1G schools in LAX for the most part are just getting started. So give them time. As we have seen the way the B1G does things I don't think we will be waiting long for somebody not named Maryland or Hopkins to make a splash in the NCAA's.

Funny article from a few years ago saying Hop should go to the ACC. Some good reasons listed in it and the funny part is at the end which I will quote....

"Finally, the Big 10 wants them too. Perhaps. Maybe. Why be in a conference with Rutgers lacrosse, when you can be in a conference with 5 of the biggest names in, well, ever. Johns Hopkins looks a lot more like Duke and Syracuse and Notre Dame, than it does a boring flagship state university with 50,000 members."

https://atlanticcoastconfidential.com/2013/05/17/acc-should-add-johns-hopkins-for-lacrosse/

I'm skeptical that the CIC/BTAA has any tangible benefit whatsoever.

It helps a lot, but mostly behind the scenes things. Business related (purchasing) and Research related. Also Students (staff and faculty as well) have access to all Big Ten libraries and they can take classes at other Big Ten schools. Also there are programs like the Big Ten Cancer Research Consortium which Rutgers is the head of. That is just off the top of my head, there are a ton more programs and benefits.

It helps a lot, but mostly behind the scenes things. Business related (purchasing) and Research related. Also Students (staff and faculty as well) have access to all Big Ten libraries and they can take classes at other Big Ten schools. Also there are programs like the Big Ten Cancer Research Consortium which Rutgers is the head of. That is just off the top of my head, there are a ton more programs and benefits.

So it's basically a library consortium? That's what I figured. Meh.

I'm skeptical that the CIC/BTAA has any tangible benefit whatsoever.
It is one of the most overrated thing I have heard about the conference. There are some benefits like sharing resources and buying power. Student can also cross register for classes their school doesn't have. These type of alliances happen everywhere and most schools are part of many. There is no revenue or grant money involved.

It is one of the most overrated thing I have heard about the conference. There are some benefits like sharing resources and buying power. Student can also cross register for classes their school doesn't have. These type of alliances happen everywhere and most schools are part of many. There is no revenue or grant money involved.

You can apply for joint grants, the really huge grants typically have multiple schools attached to them. Rutgers does this with Ivy League schools as well. Rutgers also has a joint Graduate program with Princeton. For the fans who just watch football, I guess it doesn't make a difference.

Exactly. Every university on earth is part of these kinds of consortiums. When I was doing my doctoral work at BU I could get books from a bazillion libraries and I could take classes at Tufts, BC, UMass, etc. Sounds like a good PR job and nothing more.

You can apply for joint grants, the really huge grants typically have multiple schools attached to them. Rutgers does this with Ivy League schools as well. Rutgers also has a joint Graduate program with Princeton. For the fans who just watch football, I guess it doesn't make a difference.

You're actually making our point. There's nothing special about the CIC. It's a nothing burger.

Why would the B1G kick JHU out? Seems like a very non-B1G thing to do. B1G inviting them for lax makes a ton of sense. Would be great if they joined CIC or whatever they call it now as well.

Why would the B1G kick JHU out? Seems like a very non-B1G thing to do. B1G inviting them for lax makes a ton of sense. Would be great if they joined CIC or whatever they call it now as well.
I am not suggesting that at all.

All I'm saying on this topic is if other schools in the B1G start a men's side maybe JHU isn't as needed as they were in the beginning when trying to get to the magic NCAA number of 6 to start a conference.

Still not sure why they didn't join the ACC. More in common with those schools over all than the big B1G land-grant/state ones.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I am not suggesting that at all.

All I'm saying on this topic is if other schools in the B1G start a men's side maybe JHU isn't as needed as they were in the beginning when trying to get to the magic NCAA number of 6 to start a conference.

Still not sure why they didn't join the ACC. More in common with those schools over all than the big B1G land-grant/state ones.

I don't believe that Hopkins thinks it has anything in common with ACC schools other than Duke (and somewhat with UNC and UVA).

From Hopkins' perspective, Duke is the only elite private research university in the ACC. And while the ACC lacrosse conference offers two elite public research universities in UNC and UVA, from Hopkins' perspective that is 3 fewer than the B1G offering Maryland, Rutgers, Penn St, Michigan, and Ohio St. The rest of the ACC lacrosse conference does nothing for Hopkins (Notre Dame is a non-research university and Syracuse is Syracuse).

It gets even worse if you think about either conference expanding its lacrosse participants. The Big Ten potentially offers schools like Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Illinois. The ACC potentially offers Clemson, Louisville, Boston College, or Florida State.

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
I don't believe that Hopkins thinks it has anything in common with ACC schools other than Duke (and somewhat with UNC and UVA).

From Hopkins' perspective, Duke is the only elite private research university in the ACC. And while the ACC lacrosse conference offers two elite public research universities in UNC and UVA, from Hopkins' perspective that is 3 fewer than the B1G offering Maryland, Rutgers, Penn St, Michigan, and Ohio St. The rest of the ACC lacrosse conference does nothing for Hopkins (Notre Dame is a non-research university * and Syracuse is Syracuse).

It gets even worse if you think about either conference expanding its lacrosse participants. The Big Ten potentially offers schools like Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Illinois. The ACC potentially offers Clemson, Louisville, Boston College, or Florida State.
* First, thank you for the laugh. LOL

I think it also comes down to is that B1G Lacrosse as it looks NOW provides an easier path for JHU to the NCAA's than maybe the ACC would.

Brilliant move by the B1G in getting them.

You're actually making our point. There's nothing special about the CIC. It's a nothing burger.

When others claimed that membership in the CIC was the most important part of joining the Big Ten, I refuted that claim, noting that the CIC was not a research consortium, but primarily a purchasing consortium combined with a library and technology consortium.

But while the CIC is not the transformational research consortium that some here expect it to be, it is certainly more than a "nothing burger". But almost all of that more is from an administrative perspective, where the CIC offers important benefits.

I do agree that from an academic and research perspective, for faculty and students, the CIC doesn't provide much, and the little it does provide really duplicates what is available from other inter-university partnerships. The lack of benefit of the CIC is most acutely shown by noting that when Big Ten schools decided to create the Big Ten Cancer Research Consortium, they established this outside the umbrella of the CIC.

However, I think there is a desire that the CIC become more than just an administrative purchasing/library/technology/etc consortium. The Cancer Consortium is providing a template for what a Big Ten research consortium could be. The change in name for the CIC could be a signal that the CIC is looking to transform itself from an administrative consortium to a real research/academic alliance.

Reactions: vascosg
ADVERTISEMENT