ADVERTISEMENT

Will N.J. land the NCAA Wrestling Championships? Prudential Center wants to build momentum

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Executives at New Jersey’s largest arena hope to lure the attention of the NCAA this weekend when several of the nation’s top college wrestling teams take over the Prudential Center in Newark. They say the event dubbed “The Garden State Grapple” will prove that New Jersey should be under consideration to host the NCAA Wrestling Championships in one of the next two scheduling cycles.

MSG was a blast and they put on a first class show. Doubt the Prudential Center will get it. If I recall correctly some Midwesterners did not enjoy it as they couldn't really afford it. North New Jersey isn't going to be much cheaper. I know MSG wanted to host again but certain schools put up a big stink about it.

Tulsa is the worst. I called the Monday after last years tourney to try to get a block of hotel rooms in Tulsa. Everything decent in town and close was already sold out. Tulsa doesn’t have the infrastructure to host properly.

Reactions: koleszar
MSG was a blast and they put on a first class show. Doubt the Prudential Center will get it. If I recall correctly some Midwesterners did not enjoy it as they couldn't really afford it. North New Jersey isn't going to be much cheaper. I know MSG wanted to host again but certain schools put up a big stink about it.
It’ll cost an arm and a leg to book a hotel in any major city anywhere. Prudential Center would do a good job with the event. Sorry to the country bumpkins that would rather pay 14 dollars to spend the night in middle of nowhere Nebraska than enjoying a weekend in NYC and it’s outskirts.

It’ll cost an arm and a leg to book a hotel in any major city anywhere. Prudential Center would do a good job with the event. Sorry to the country bumpkins that would rather pay 14 dollars to spend the night in middle of nowhere Nebraska than enjoying a weekend in NYC and it’s outskirts.
I’m sure when they get done in Philly they’ll bitch about that one too. I’ve only been to a couple NCAA’s and I really enjoyed the MSG experience the best. Just had a different feel to it. I suppose a major bitch was, not a lot of places to park the RV’s.😁

I’m sure when they get done in Philly they’ll bitch about that one too. I’ve only been to a couple NCAA’s and I really enjoyed the MSG experience the best. Just had a different feel to it. I suppose a major bitch was, not a lot of places to park the RV’s.😁
For prudential center I think it wouldn’t be hard to allow all RVs to park at Red Bull Arena and set up some kind of shuttle. Only a 10 minute ride.

Tulsa is the worst. I called the Monday after last years tourney to try to get a block of hotel rooms in Tulsa. Everything decent in town and close was already sold out. Tulsa doesn’t have the infrastructure to host properly.
We literally booked hotels in Tulsa while in Detroit. I will be there but I have my doubts about the experience.

Reactions: FoxRU
ADVERTISEMENT