ADVERTISEMENT

Will Ron Harper Jr. Declare After This Season?

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

It's not as far fetched as some here are going to pretend it is. Ron has nba blood lines which means a little something and on top of that with seeing Brazdeikis go in the 2nd round to the Knicks, I think Ron is going to be a more complete player and more consistent all year as a soph as opposed to when he was a freshman. Ron and Bradzeikis are about the same size but Ron is a little more athletic and a better defender with more position versatility when it comes to defending.

If Ron can simply just pick up where he left off at the end of last year and continue to naturally improve with experience, IMO there's a chance he could declare and be drafted after this season.

Nick Ward MSU - Undrafted
James Palmer NEB - Undrafted
Ethan Happ WIS - Undrafted
Tyler Cook IOWA- Undrafted
Juwan Morgan- IND- Undrafted
Amir Coffey- MINN- Undrafted
Jordan Murphy-MINN- Undrafted
Carsen Edwards- Drafted 2nd round
Isiah Roby NEB - Drafted 2nd round
Cassius Winston MSU- Returned to school

I place these handful of names together because if you polled the coaches of what players they wanted for 1 season in the B1G, every coach would probably take a player ahead of Roby of NEB.

Roby was VERY inconsistent, passive at times, almost disappeared for extended stretches of games for Nebraska. But he projects better to the next level, even though he was not an All B1G 1st or 2nd team after this past year.

Do I think Harper is better than Roby today?? Not today, but with a big season, he has upside.

I think Harper is a 4 year player, until otherwise. Even the Utah kid Donnie Tillman entered his name into the draft and didn't start...he was 6th man of the year.

One factor in "decision-making", is having an NBA household in your parents that understands the next level. The Harper's are not without income, unlike 99% of the kids entering the NBA draft waters, desperate for a payday.

That in itself should end any discussion about Harper's progression, but hundreds of kids get free NBA evaluations when they enter their names in, even if they have no chance of being drafted.

KYK is correct in the evaluation however. Roby isn't better than the kids Undrafted that were better B1G or college players. You do NOT have to be a proven Power 5 player or consistent player to get drafted. You have to have UPSIDE and Harper more than anyone else on the current roster outside of Caleb, has more.

Doesn't mean i believe it will happen or should happen....but Caleb and Ron have the upside as shooters and length to reach the next level, even if they never reach 1st or 2nd team all B1G in college.

Declaring, staying in draft, and getting drafted, all with different probabilities. If Ron is getting drafted then he really elevates his game this year, enough to where we likely make the dance.
Where can I sign today that we make NCAA tourney and then Ron gets drafted?

It's not as far fetched as some here are going to pretend it is. Ron has nba blood lines which means a little something and on top of that with seeing Brazdeikis go in the 2nd round to the Knicks, I think Ron is going to be a more complete player and more consistent all year as a soph as opposed to when he was a freshman. Ron and Bradzeikis are about the same size but Ron is a little more athletic and a better defender with more position versatility when it comes to defending.

If Ron can simply just pick up where he left off at the end of last year and continue to naturally improve with experience, IMO there's a chance he could declare and be drafted after this season.

Yes

He'll declare a Major :):):)

Reactions: dollarbill

I place these handful of names together because if you polled the coaches of what players they wanted for 1 season in the B1G, every coach would probably take a player ahead of Roby of NEB.

Roby was VERY inconsistent, passive at times, almost disappeared for extended stretches of games for Nebraska. But he projects better to the next level, even though he was not an All B1G 1st or 2nd team after this past year.

Do I think Harper is better than Roby today?? Not today, but with a big season, he has upside.

I think Harper is a 4 year player, until otherwise. Even the Utah kid Donnie Tillman entered his name into the draft and didn't start...he was 6th man of the year.

One factor in "decision-making", is having an NBA household in your parents that understands the next level. The Harper's are not without income, unlike 99% of the kids entering the NBA draft waters, desperate for a payday.

That in itself should end any discussion about Harper's progression, but hundreds of kids get free NBA evaluations when they enter their names in, even if they have no chance of being drafted.

KYK is correct in the evaluation however. Roby isn't better than the kids Undrafted that were better B1G or college players. You do NOT have to be a proven Power 5 player or consistent player to get drafted. You have to have UPSIDE and Harper more than anyone else on the current roster outside of Caleb, has more.

Doesn't mean i believe it will happen or should happen....but Caleb and Ron have the upside as shooters and length to reach the next level, even if they never reach 1st or 2nd team all B1G in college.
I think if Ron goes 15ppg, 6rpg and 3 apg, he's a lock to declare and at least test the waters ala corey sanders. I think if Ron has improved as much as I'm hearing he'll get drafted. @bac2therac once again exposing himself as not knowing much about how the game operates these days.

This is pretty much asking if he has a shot to be on the First or Second All B1G Team.
which I think the answer is yes. He should play around 30 minutes a night and it's not far fetched to see him putting up strong numbers. In Ron's last 9 games he averaged 12ppg, 4rpg. Is it that far fetched to say with more minutes and without eugene stopping the ball he averages 15 and 7 a game while shooting 50% from 2 and 40% from 3? Rons last 7 games he averaged 40% from 3 and in conference play after jan 1 he averaged close to 40% from 3. They say the NBA scouts say 50/40/90 gets you locked in for the draft if you are a good player. That means 50% from 2, 40% from 3 and 90%+ from the line. Ron will probably be around a 50/40/80 guy with position versatility and NBA blood lines.

which I think the answer is yes. He should play around 30 minutes a night and it's not far fetched to see him putting up strong numbers. In Ron's last 9 games he averaged 12ppg, 4rpg. Is it that far fetched to say with more minutes and without eugene stopping the ball he averages 15 and 7 a game while shooting 50% from 2 and 40% from 3? Rons last 7 games he averaged 40% from 3 and in conference play after jan 1 he averaged close to 40% from 3. They say the NBA scouts say 50/40/90 gets you locked in for the draft if you are a good player. That means 50% from 2, 40% from 3 and 90%+ from the line. Ron will probably be around a 50/40/80 guy with position versatility and NBA blood lines.

I don't think it's a valid point until a player learns how to function as the focal point of a team's defensive efforts to know if Ron can maintain that type of production.

The one benefit for RU right now is not really having an established go to person. Baker continues to be the #1 focus of opponents coaching staffs and game plans, but the rest if TBD.

I think the ball will move more and it will find the open player more than whether Harper, Yeboah or someone else becomes a go to person. It's really an exciting time because I believe RU has 7 players capable of leading the team in scoring at any time this season and starting last season, you really only had 2 true options until the frosh got acclimated.

Young, Baker, Caleb, Mathis, Harper, Yeboah and Myles are all capable of a 15 point game. I see Mulcahy potentially joining that group, if the progress is made this summer, since I expect him to play 18 or so minutes a game by January.

It's really a good time to expand beyond who can get drafted and how can this team gel. It has the potential to be ugly at times and other times, the lineups and options, will just ooze potential where RU looks like a totally different program in spots.

It's so hard to get drafted so kids are probably going to be overly cautious to hire an agent. I see Ron Harper as an NBA player but I think we have him 3-4 years. The fact that Juwan Morgan didnt get drafted is baffling. I also always thought Palmer was a pro as well? It's just so hard to tell these days. If Nick Ward could hit FTS, him too. I just think you are too much of a liability these days if you get fouled and shoot 50% from the line.

While I'd love to see it I think it's just too much of a leap. I can see third team being the ceiling, but that's A LOT to ask for. By conference play of his Jr year I think we see a complete player who's ready to be in this type of discussion.

It's so hard to get drafted so kids are probably going to be overly cautious to hire an agent. I see Ron Harper as an NBA player but I think we have him 3-4 years. The fact that Juwan Morgan didnt get drafted is baffling. I also always thought Palmer was a pro as well? It's just so hard to tell these days. If Nick Ward could hit FTS, him too. I just think you are too much of a liability these days if you get fouled and shoot 50% from the line.

In todays NBA you must be able to shoot it from the outside unless you are elite in other eras. Morgan has a very ugly jumper so there is really no roll for him with his lack of size. Palmer the same thing because he has 2 guard size but at shot that's not even close enough to being adequate for a 2 guard. Ward has the size to an extent but once again lack of athleticism and shooting (65% from the line). Assuming Harper's shot continues to develop I think he projects as a better player then all 3 at the next level.

I was more surprised by a guy like Naz Reid going undrafted because it seems like his talent has tremendous upside. Must assume there are major character concerns coming from front offices.

Not be a jerk, but do you ever have a reply thats not a novel. lol. That being said I appreciate your take and insight on the topic.

LMAO SLOW DOWN WHAT HAS HE DONE??? SMH

There rarely is a quiet period on the Rutgers message boards.which leads to wild speculation regarding the futures of Rutgers athletes.I would like to see a winning season before speculating on players leaving for the NBA.

Reactions: bac2therac
If he declares it will be to find out what pro scouts think he needs to improve his game enough to be drafter in 1st round.
Right now thinking he'll improve enough to be
draftable is nice, but a little overboard.

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
He only declares if he doesn’t feel like being in school anymore and is fine with bouncing around overseas/g-league for a while. Incredibly difficult to be drafted.

Reactions: bac2therac
LMAO SLOW DOWN WHAT HAS HE DONE??? SMH
Projecting. So much offense opened up with the ball stopper now gone. It’s not far fetched the see Ron have a better season than Ignas Bradzeikas just had for Michigan. And pop the tape in, Ron is more versatile and athletic. I dont know why people think this is so far fetched. Kid can shoot it with the best of them, has a good handle, can get to the hole, plays good defense and can guard 2-4 has nba bloodlines, and will most likely be our leading scorer.

Projecting. So much offense opened up with the ball stopper now gone. It’s not far fetched the see Ron have a better season than Ignas Bradzeikas just had for Michigan. And pop the tape in, Ron is more versatile and athletic. I dont know why people think this is so far fetched. Kid can shoot it with the best of them, has a good handle, can get to the hole, plays good defense and can guard 2-4 has nba bloodlines, and will most likely be our leading scorer.

Everything else aside as it stands I don’t think Harper Jr can guard an NBA 2 3 or 4.

Saw Myles at my LA Fitness and think he'll declare based on that measuring stick.

This. He's got a long way to go IMO before he can play in that league. He's not a great college 3 point shooter.
He shot nearly 40% from 3 since big ten play started up post 1/. Whats a good 3 pt % to you?

Reactions: Scangg
Did you watch indiana at RU 2019? What do you consider romeo langford?
Langford was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week four times He averaged 16.5 points per game, the highest among Big Ten freshmen.
He was a 2nd team all B1G.
He shown enough potential as a college freshman to be drafted.

Brazdeikis was the B1G freshman of the year an honorable mention for the AP's All American team and second team All B1G.
That made the NBA notice him because he played like a potential draft choice in his freshman year.

Harper has to up his game a lot to prove he is in their category.
He can do it, but to say he'll be NBA material after his sophomore season is just hoping he improves enough in one year to make the NBA feel he deserves to be drafted.

Reactions: RUJMM78
Langford was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week four times He averaged 16.5 points per game, the highest among Big Ten freshmen.
He was a 2nd team all B1G.
He shown enough potential as a college freshman to be drafted.

Brazdeikis was the B1G freshman of the year an honorable mention for the AP's All American team and second team All B1G.
That made the NBA notice him because he played like a potential draft choice in his freshman year.

Harper has to up his game a lot to prove he is in their category.
He can do it, but to say he'll be NBA material after his sophomore season is just hoping he improves enough in one year to make the NBA feel he deserves to be drafted.
I think one flew over your head. Sojo said he doesnt think harper can guard in the nba 2-4. I just point to langford who he strapped

Yeah he cannot guard him in the NBA no shot IMO.
So your logic is, throw on some different threads and guys morph into different players? If your argument is langford would get more space in the nba youre a fool. You do realize indiana played small vs RU and spread the floor and their big man both games, morgan attempted 5 3’s in the game harper strapped langford @RU right? You didnt think much about that post or put much effort into it. Youre better than that

kyk i think your shooting numbers aren't quite realistic. I think he can be 50/35/75 but I think a jump from 27.8% to 40% is asking a lot. Also, it's pretty well-known that NBA scouts look a lot at free throw shooting to project if a player will be a good NBA three-point shooter. He was 68% last year and I know in high school he wasn't a great free throw shooter either. I think his stroke at the line would have to improve immensely for him to even get a look. You've been saying this a lot and I have to agree, his body looks tremendous and is night and day from last season, but I still think he will at least play his junior year. I think you may just be asking a little too much from him

I think one flew over your head. Sojo said he doesnt think harper can guard in the nba 2-4. I just point to langford who he strapped

What does strapped Langford mean to you?

Langford had 20 in the first game at RU. I'm sure Harper played good D at times....but, strapped?

March 10th Game....2nd game.

In the 2nd matchup with Indiana, Langford had 20 points on 5-12 FG, 2-4 on threes. Harper started and played 28 minutes. Langford played 35 minutes. I guess Langford's point occurred in the 7 minute timeframe when Harper was on bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUDead
kyk i think your shooting numbers aren't quite realistic. I think he can be 50/35/75 but I think a jump from 27.8% to 40% is asking a lot. Also, it's pretty well-known that NBA scouts look a lot at free throw shooting to project if a player will be a good NBA three-point shooter. He was 68% last year and I know in high school he wasn't a great free throw shooter either. I think his stroke at the line would have to improve immensely for him to even get a look. You've been saying this a lot and I have to agree, his body looks tremendous and is night and day from last season, but I still think he will at least play his junior year. I think you may just be asking a little too much from him
Something was clearly off in ooc play last year, maybe it was just him being a frosh but in big ten play against better competition he had better shooting % and better all around game. Shot 35% from 3, not 40% like i thought and about 75% from the free throw line. He’ll declare and test the waters no doubt imo, he’ll probably come back, but my point is its not far fetched that if he has the season that I think hes capable of that he could be league bound like bradzeikas

ADVERTISEMENT