ADVERTISEMENT

Will something be done to honor last year’s basketball team?

KingHigh

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 12, 2005
I really hope the athletic department acknowledges the extraordinary season they had, the success they achieved and put up some sort of monument whether it is a banner or plaque or something to recognize what they accomplished last year. It should not be a forgotten season despite how it was cut short. I know we will not soon forget, but something should be done To officially recognize that team.

I don’t know how you do that on an institutional level without seeming like you’re celebrating mediocrity. The timing was just very unfortunate for what was, for us, an historic season. They were 100%, no doubt about it, IN the tourney if it had been held.

Last year was a great, breakout season for the program that, unfortunately, ended prematurely. But going out of our way to make a big fuss about it would just underscore how we are not a real big-time program. The big boy programs don't celebrate 20-11 seasons. If we want to be one, we shouldn't, either. Just enjoy last year as part of the build.

Rutgers really hasn't ever officially recognized our teams in the Wenzel era that actually did make the tourney, or for that matter any of the NIT teams that followed.

We've seen it done in countless arenas all over the country. Not sure why we can't do it here. Given that, I'd say not much chance we do anything special for last year's team.

Recognized for what? A winning season? Please. Go polish your participation trophies.
Since the COVID-19 outbreak destroyed the team being able to play in the Tourney
after becoming eligible , seems like a participation ribbon showing the number of years without an invite might be appropriate.
The team lost the NCAA opportunity, honoring the team for being the one that broke the non eligibility streak might be a nice gesture .

Reactions: ScarletteK80
No banner, no recognition. If you think this team needs any more motivation after last year ,then you are out of your head.

Reactions: TODDB33
If anything, not playing in the Dance last year will only make this year's squad hungrier this season.
That is, assuming we have a '20-21 season...0__0

I really hope the athletic department acknowledges the extraordinary season they had, the success they achieved and put up some sort of monument whether it is a banner or plaque or something to recognize what they accomplished last year. It should not be a forgotten season despite how it was cut short. I know we will not soon forget, but something should be done To officially recognize that team.

Definitely not a banner but maybe something in the concourse celebrating wins from the season?

I’m sorry but we don’t celebrate anything in the basketball program except 1976. Something should be done ...

The NCAA should have still selected the field. This team would have been in and you could have easily recognized them and celebrated breaking the drought. And I don't want to hear about not all the conference tournaments being played. Just use the data you had on hand when the season ended. It's not like this thing was ever a perfect science.

Last edited:
Maybe 82-83 team should be recognized.
With all the heartbreak that came with the seasons after 1991, honoring special years might be a good way to remind the fan-base how Rutgers made them proud at times and it seems like RU-MBB IS on the road to doing that again.
Rutgers MBB fan have more to complkain about than praise since 1991.
Maybe a little reminder of the good years can help overcome the disappointment felt after RU became good enough to earn a Tourney invite but the Virus canceled the NCAAs.

I'm tired of the whoa is me feeling when RU MBB is brought up.
Just look at last season, a good feeling over what the team did became a bad vibe because of what it couldn't do

The NCAA should have still selected the field. This team would have been in and you could have easily recognized them and celebrated breaking the drought. And I don't want to hear about not all the conference tournaments being played. Just use the data you had on hand when the season ended. It's not like this thing was ever a perfect science.

Is there a name for consistent, ongoing organizational suicide? E.g. the "punishments" to the elite teams for infractions (UNC) vs. the $h1T :Poop we suffer sitting at the juniors table.

F the NCAA....time for a change!

MO

With all the heartbreak that came with the seasons after 1991, honoring special years might be a good way to remind the fan-base how Rutgers made them proud at times and it seems like RU-MBB IS on the road to doing that again.
Rutgers MBB fan have more to complkain about than praise since 1991.
Maybe a little reminder of the good years can help overcome the disappointment felt after RU became good enough to earn a Tourney invite but the Virus canceled the NCAAs.

I'm tired of the whoa is me feeling when RU MBB is brought up.
Just look at last season, a good feeling over what the team did became a bad vibe because of what it couldn't do

Bad vibe...you kidding? No one has a bad vibe other than being bummed out not to see what this team could have done in March....

Personally, I think this team was gonna beat Michigan, and give Wisconsin a hell of a game and possibly pull the up set to get into the finals...and go to the NCAA win a game, and either nearly pull of a big upset over a 1 or 2 seed...or damn well have done it to get to the sweet 16.

and this year is more of the same ...with almost a consensus preseason top 25 ranking, a fan dream schedule, and team with the right breaks having legit aspirations at a deep NCAA run. Hell, the players are all IN...if you follow them at all on twitter

all we are hoping is a safe way to play and see what this group can ...but no one in basketball Has a bad vibe or a whoa as me Attitude ...we want to play to have a chanxe to stick out our chest with some Rutgers pride !!!

College sports teams don't give out participation trophies. We can acknowledge them with sellouts at the RAC and standi g O's when introduced before each game
Not a participation trophy - they earned this and we did honor this very worthy team with sellouts and standing ovations.

College sports teams don't give out participation trophies. We can acknowledge them with sellouts at the RAC and standi g O's when introduced before each game
We're going to be recruiting head-to-head with Villanova and UConn a lot in the coming years. If we do this, their coaches are going to point to our banner for a nice season and then theirs for national championships and ask recruits where do they want to go.

We're going to be recruiting head-to-head with Villanova and UConn a lot in the coming years. If we do this, their coaches are going to point to our banner for a nice season and then theirs for national championships and ask recruits where do they want to go.

Any high major recruit is going to know that Villanova has won two national champ this decade and UConn has won three in the past 20...

The kids who want to come here are the kids that want to MAKE history And tradition ...instead of continuing it...

celebrating what we have done ...however ...helps bring the community together.

and right now ...our basketball community is quickly getting back together after being fragmented forever ...

And that’s important to a program and for recruiting ...

The issue isn't that recruits wouldn't know that Villanova and UConn have national championships and we don't. The issue is that we'd be such a sad sack of a program for putting up a banner for a season that legit programs would not put one up for.

Not a participation trophy - they earned this and we did honor this very worthy team with sellouts and standing ovations.
Serious question. Let's make believe we played football this year and by some fantastic coaching and play we went 5 n 7. Win all of our OOC games and won 2 Big games. That's tremendous improvement from last year are you going to recognize a team with a losing record that arguably showed more improvement then the BB. team. I wouldn't and if we did that's a "participation trophy"

Serious question. Let's make believe we played football this year and by some fantastic coaching and play we went 5 n 7. Win all of our OOC games and won 2 Big games. That's tremendous improvement from last year are you going to recognize a team with a losing record that arguably showed more improvement then the BB. team. I wouldn't and if we did that's a "participation trophy"

c’mon ...it’s a big difference between this and putting up a “2020...NCAA banner”

no one here has ever said we should honor the 2003 NIT finalist team, the 1978 NIT team (which would have been a 6 seed in the ncaa if it wasn’t 32 teams back then).

But why the hell not honor the 1988-1989 a-10 tourney CHAMPS
(And THAT was a turnaround story )

the 1990-1991 Atlantic ten CHAMPS

And put a banner of some sort up for this past year..?

Ten years from now, I hope they bring these guys back to celebrate at a game at halftime. If you want to go to the bathroom during the presentation and get a pretzel...go ahead and it’s your right

me? I’m gonna stay in my seat and participate and applaud

Last edited:
c’mon ...it’s a big difference between this and putting up a “2020...NCAA banner”

no one here has ever said we should honor the 2003 NIT finalist team, the 1978 NIT team (which would have been a 6 seed in the ncaa if it wasn’t 32 teams back then).

But why the hell not honor the 1988-1989 a-10 tourney CHAMPS
(And THAT was a turnaround story )

the 1990-1991 Atlantic ten CHAMPS

And put a banner of some sort up for this past year..?

Ten years from now, I hope they bring these guys back to celebrate at a game at halftime. If you want to go to the bathroom during the presentation and get a pretzel...go ahead and it’s your right

me? I’m gonna stay in my seat and participate and applaud
I would have no problem with banners for those teas as they actually won something. Last years BB team didn't win anything.

The ‘19-20 team will be recognized. But now is not the time. Rutgers will soon be on a regular level of success with Villanova and Uconn, with the NCAA, sweet 16s becoming common. Then is the time (5-10 years down the road) to fully recognize, reward the team, kind of like Rutgers own type of 30 for 30, or BTN special..

Reactions: JQRU91
Rutgers finished the year blowing out #9 Maryland and gutted out a win against Purdue in a building not many people leave with a "W". Would have loved to see the ending. Really good season that ended with two wins. Weird.

No banner hanging on the rafters, no trophy commemorating a winning season,
just a plaque acknowledging a team that deserved to play in the postseason, but due to COVID-19 shutting down postseason play for all of college basketball, was denied the chance to be in the NCAA Tourney .

29 years with nothing to hang our hats on is a long time and this team nearly ended that and though no fault of their own were denied that opportunity.
Maybe a kudo like a plaque is in order and let it be placed in the locker-room for the players,
Maybe even giving the team added incentive to earn the trip denied them.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Rutgers finished the year blowing out #9 Maryland and gutted out a win against Purdue in a building not many people leave with a "W". Would have loved to see the ending. Really good season that ended with two wins. Weird.
Not to nitpick, but Purdue sucked this year. They finished 10th in the big ten. I know historically they’re good at home, but this year they lost 4 of their last 7 home games and all but the RU game were blowouts.

Not to nitpick, but Purdue sucked this year. They finished 10th in the big ten. I know historically they’re good at home, but this year they lost 4 of their last 7 home games and all but the RU game were blowouts.
The Purdue win was a solid win. Not a great win, but a much needed one considering their resume. Not to nitpick, but Purdue crushed some really good teams at home. You are correct with your statement but tell the whole story.

Reactions: shields
The Purdue win was a solid win. Not a great win, but a much needed one considering their resume. Not to nitpick, but Purdue crushed some really good teams at home. You are correct with your statement but tell the whole story.
I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove or disprove. Sure over the course of the full season they had some good wins, especially early. But they also fell off down the stretch. They went 2-5 to end the season. That is the full story. Not that it matters, a close road win is nothing to sneeze at.

Purdue beat MSU by 29, Illinois by 19 and Iowa by 36 at Mackey. They played a brutal OOC that included Texas, VCU, @Marquette, Virginia and Butler.

They were a bubble team going in to our game which was a must win for them. That was a very good win. Sorry.

Awww aren't you precious.

tenor.gif

Reactions: KnightTerrors
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT