ADVERTISEMENT

Will something be done to honor last year’s basketball team?

I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove or disprove. Sure over the course of the full season they had some good wins, especially early. But they also fell off down the stretch. They went 2-5 to end the season. That is the full story. Not that it matters, a close road win is nothing to sneeze at.
That’s not the point. All I said was that it was a solid win when the team needed it the most. RU had a heartbreaking loss to PSU and then bounced back with wins over UMD and a road win against PU. Why discredit it?

That’s not the point. All I said was that it was a solid win when the team needed it the most. RU had a heartbreaking loss to PSU and then bounced back with wins over UMD and a road win against PU. Why discredit it?
Sorry man, I’m not sure I get it. I think we are on the same page here. Winning both those games is a good conclusion so a season that had started to feel a little shaky down the stretch. I wasn’t taking a shot at anyone but Purdue.

Reactions: biazza38
Purdue beat MSU by 29, Illinois by 19 and Iowa by 36 at Mackey. They played a brutal OOC that included Texas, VCU, @Marquette, Virginia and Butler.

They were a bubble team going in to our game which was a must win for them. That was a very good win. Sorry.
Those wins over MSU and Iowa were great. They also got beat by Michigan and PSU at home late. Also I think you got that mixed up because Purdue got smoked by Illinois both times they played them including at Mackey. I’m a bit biased against Purdue, my in-laws are grads so I have to hear about them a lot haha.

Those wins over MSU and Iowa were great. They also got beat by Michigan and PSU at home late. Also I think you got that mixed up because Purdue got smoked by Illinois both times they played them including at Mackey. I’m a bit biased against Purdue, my in-laws are grads so I have to hear about them a lot haha.

You are correct. They beat Wisconsin by 19, not Illinois. And you are more than entitled to rip Purdue. Ha. Must have been a fun sweep for you this season!

Reactions: Vassar69
Not only did this team play well enough to earn an ncaa bid, they were denied a chance to make a potentially significant run in the tournament, given how they were playing. Cut short by a pandemic. Recognize them...it is the right thing to do....even if we become a regular in March madness.

Maybe someone should organize a "political protest", which is allowed, as they arrive to practice for the first time if there will be no audience for their first game to give them a standing O for last season.

Maybe someone should organize a "political protest", which is allowed, as they arrive to practice for the first time if there will be no audience for their first game to give them a standing O for last season.
484.png

Has anyone heard if any of the players want to be honored for last season? If it was me, no honors for last season. If they were 19-0 at home, possibly.

I find it difficult to honor the team in any specific way.

yes, we had a good season, NCAA worthy, but what would you put on a hanging banner, lets say, that would make sense.... or not look dumb to those programs that regularly get 20 plus wins...

the only thing that may have been "bannerable" would have been if we had not lost the home Michigan game, and thus had a perfect home season.... they might have been able to work something up with that, but unfortunately it was not to be.

They didn't win anything or set real records. If they were undefeated at home MAYBE. Celebrating a solid season is not a big boy thing to do. Celebrate when there is something to celebrate about.

Reactions: JQRU91
Unfortunately even if we honored them there’s not going to be anyone or very very few people in the RAC this year

We won the garden state trophy and embarrassed seton hall. Can we celebrate that ?

They should have picked a field and then played the first round matchups in neutral sites to start the 2021 year off.

Really wish that the NCAA at least set the teams that would have played. That would be something tangible to hang our hats on.
My guess is that when we play again something will be done.

Purdue beat MSU by 29, Illinois by 19 and Iowa by 36 at Mackey. They played a brutal OOC that included Texas, VCU, @Marquette, Virginia and Butler.

They were a bubble team going in to our game which was a must win for them. That was a very good win. Sorry.
Purdue did not beat Illinois this year. Two blowout wins for Illinois including a 17 point win at Mackey and a 26 point win in Champaign. Not sure what you were looking at.

They didn’t beat Illinois, but they also had impressive home wins against Virginia & Wisconsin. The win at Purdue was huge, considering what was at stake for both teams!

Purdue was hot when we played them away. They had just beaten indiana and spanked # 25 Iowa. RU win was a very nice win at a notorious difficult place to play. Purdue was fighting for a bubble bid.

Purdue did not beat Illinois this year. Two blowout wins for Illinois including a 17 point win at Mackey and a 26 point win in Champaign. Not sure what you were looking at.

Meant Wisconsin, not Illinois. Purdue beat Wisconsin at Mackey by 19. Not sure that changes my point.

I don’t know how you do that on an institutional level without seeming like you’re celebrating mediocrity. The timing was just very unfortunate for what was, for us, an historic season. They were 100%, no doubt about it, IN the tourney if it had been held.
The NCAA should have named the field. For one bid conferences that hadn’t yet held their conference championships give the slot to regular season champ. The rest could have fallen Into place as they do every year. Seems very likely you were in.

ADVERTISEMENT