ADVERTISEMENT

Will you buy a National Championship Ring when Rutgers wins it all??

I don't even wear my HS class ring and never got a Rutgers class ring.

Since COVID and WFH everyday I barely wear my wedding ring.

Do people actually wear championship rings frequently?
I mean even players and coaches.
It's not like a watch. They are usually pretty gaudy and heavy.

My neighbor has a ring from the Eagles superbowl win as he works for the team as a chiropractor, he is always visible on the sidelines. He wore it the first weekend he got it so he could show everyone while he was out riding his bike on the boardwalk. After that it went in a draw.

Reactions: NickRU714
All long time Rutgers fans already have been given the gift of suffering with our team. But it is ridiculous to suggest anyone who is not in the core of the program (players, coaches, staff) should end up with any type of ring.

Reactions: mildone
Why would I get a ring if I’m not on the team?? Weird. My uncle has one from Georgetown 84 team but he was the AD at the time. My cousin has a World Series ring from the cardinals but he was a scout for the team. If you didn’t contribute you have no business wearing a ring

Did you buy a Giants, Mets or Yankees ring when they won?
Cool to get as a souvenir and display in man cave .

I was in a bar once and a guy was *impressing*
people with his Yankees WS Championship ring that had supposedly been gifted to him by one of the players whom he kept name-dropping.

Too bad for him that it took a only few seconds to go to the internet to find images of cheap replica championship rings and where to buy them.

What exactly did we accomplish?
What did the fans accomplish? They came up with a ridiculous amount of money and paid that money for tickets to see a bunch of teenagers and 20/21-year old's play football.

What did the fans accomplish? They came up with a ridiculous amount of money and paid that money for tickets to see a bunch of teenagers and 20/21-year old's play football.
If you think that is worthy of a ring to celebrate what someone else accomplished, go for it. To each their own. Feels borderline creepy to me though.

If you think that is worthy of a ring to celebrate what someone else accomplished, go for it. To each their own. Feels borderline creepy to me though.
I agree with you. I was being sarcastic. BUT, very honest about the price of tickets.

Reactions: Ridge 22
If the football program chooses to honor certain deserving people outside the immediate organization with the gift of a championship ring, that's great. But if one has to purchase it for oneself, then it's self-congratulatory paid-for pride that anybody can purchase without limit. And where's the value of that?

Surely any purchasable ring would not be authentic, so not even sure what value it would have as a collector's piece. One would have to purchase the authentic one from a member of the program for it to have any real meaning or value.

No, but I will be able to finally die in peace, knowing all my fall Saturday angst/anger didn't go to waste.
My inner Spock would say that all angst/anger goes to waste. I think that's probably true of angst; it's 100% wasted energy.

But anger can provide an extra boost for accomplishing certain hard to accomplish stuff. OTOH, I'm not so sure fanbase anger is going to be much of a factor in a team winning a championship. Team anger might, if properly channeled.

I got to try one on today. One of my patients came in dressed in Clemson with a huge ring on each hand. When I started talking to him he told me he played on the National Championship team in 1981. On one hand was the NC ring. On the other was the Orange Bowl ring, because this was back when the NC game alternated every year, so he actually got 2 rings for one game. I, of course, asked if I could try them on.

I'm definitely buying a NC ring if we get one in my lifetime.
RU - SHOULD give you one, if/when it happens

Reactions: RUScrew85
If the football program chooses to honor certain deserving people outside the immediate organization with the gift of a championship ring, that's great. But if one has to purchase it for oneself, then it's self-congratulatory paid-for pride that anybody can purchase without limit. And where's the value of that?

Surely any purchasable ring would not be authentic, so not even sure what value it would have as a collector's piece. One would have to purchase the authentic one from a member of the program for it to have any real meaning or value.
So what if it’s self congratulatory. As long as the buyer sees value, that’s all that matters. It would have value as a souvenir and momento.

My neighbor has a ring from the Eagles superbowl win as he works for the team as a chiropractor, he is always visible on the sidelines. He wore it the first weekend he got it so he could show everyone while he was out riding his bike on the boardwalk. After that it went in a draw.

He should put that on display. Good marketing piece for his private practice (if he has one).

Reactions: MrsScrew
So what if it’s self congratulatory. As long as the buyer sees value, that’s all that matters. It would have value as a souvenir and momento.
Everyone should do what makes them happy. Just saying that doing such a thing would never make me happy. I’d feel like I bought myself a participation award.

Then again, I don’t do souvenirs and the like. My reward for being a fan of a championship team is having had even better entertainment than usual for that season.

Reactions: Section124
Everyone should do what makes them happy. Just saying that doing such a thing would never make me happy. I’d feel like I bought myself a participation award.

Then again, I don’t do souvenirs and the like. My reward for being a fan of a championship team is having had even better entertainment than usual for that season.

I'll probably just go with a T-shirt.

Without our support, there is no championship ring.
I understand that. But 'we' still didn't accomplish anything on the field. That was the players. You want to celebrate what it took to earn that money you now have to donate, fine. That was your accomplishment. But celebrating donating that money feels pretty weak to me. To each their own I guess.

I understand that. But 'we' still didn't accomplish anything on the field. That was the players. You want to celebrate what it took to earn that money you now have to donate, fine. That was your accomplishment. But celebrating donating that money feels pretty weak to me. To each their own I guess.
You don’t understand that because You’re discounting off field support, which is critical to team success.

What happens off the field is just as important as important as what happens on the field. Every stakeholder is part of the team and it’s their prerogative to buy a ring if they wish, when the time comes.

Honestly, I'm not even sure that fans can buy rings. I've never heard of it as an option. Players, coaches, adjunct staff, coach's wives, big boosters ....they all get a ring or a pendant necklace for bowl games. I've never seen a casual fan with one.

In age of NIL , you can be a big time booster out in the open . So if you land a deal to get a star player here to help us win a NC, you sure as hell accomplished something . We need a nevin Shapiro type here .
To say booster and fan.can’t accomplish something is just wrong in today’s college football landscape. But with that said , I wouldn’t buy a ring and wear it even if I was the NIL booster.

In age of NIL , you can be a big time booster out in the open . So if you land a deal to get a star player here to help us win a NC, you sure as hell accomplished something . We need a nevin Shapiro type here .
To say booster and fan.can’t accomplish something is just wrong in today’s college football landscape. But with that said , I wouldn’t buy a ring and wear it even if I was the NIL booster.
Big Time booster, sure I guess. Average fan who contributes a bit, is just silly to me, and cries out 'look at me'. But whatever, if someone was able to get one and wanted it, so be it. I just think it is dumb. Honestly, the entire thread is, so I am out.

Reactions: Plum Street
You don’t understand that because You’re discounting off field support, which is critical to team success.

What happens off the field is just as important as important as what happens on the field. Every stakeholder is part of the team and it’s their prerogative to buy a ring if they wish, when the time comes.
If fans are such critical elements of a team's success, why don't they pay us rather than making us pay them to attend games? Why are they not giving the entire fanbase, or all the season ticket holders, rings?

And it's not a question of prerogative. People are always entitled to buy whatever they wish, not just championship rings. Anybody can buy a championship ring if they so desire. Syracuse fans could buy a Rutgers Football Championship ring. And it's precisely that lack of exclusivity or meaningfulness that devalues the object in question.

But whatever, if it has a special meaning to you, if you want to buy something to honor yourself for having watched a team win a sporting championship, then get out your credit card and enjoy. Nobody would stand in your way and some ring maker out there will be pleased to sell it to you for a profit.

Reactions: Ridge 22
Honestly, I'm not even sure that fans can buy rings. I've never heard of it as an option. Players, coaches, adjunct staff, coach's wives, big boosters ....they all get a ring or a pendant necklace for bowl games. I've never seen a casual fan with one.
I would think that such championship rings must have trademarks, intellectual property protections and/or strict licensing limitations. I mean, what's the real value of them to a team if anybody out there can purchase them?

With pro championship rings, there are apparently laws against making and selling copies (see link below). I'd have to think college sports rings are the same. Without limits on who can get them, they have no real value.

Reactions: goru1869
I would think that such championship rings must have trademarks, intellectual property protections and/or strict licensing limitations. I mean, what's the real value of them to a team if anybody out there can purchase them?

With pro championship rings, there are apparently laws against making and selling copies (see link below). I'd have to think college sports rings are the same. Without limits on who can get them, they have no real value.

Those are the counterfeits. Replica rings are sold all over the internet. From super cheap $25 crap to decent $350 stuff. Even the better made stuff is obviously not authentic when you see it in person. I’m assuming that the higher end stuff is licensed.

Those are the counterfeits. Replica rings are sold all over the internet. From super cheap $25 crap to decent $350 stuff. Even the better made stuff is obviously not authentic when you see it in person. I’m assuming that the higher end stuff is licensed.
But is there actually any higher end stuff for championship rings? In other words, other than the set made specifically for the teams themselves, what other stuff could possibly be licensed without greatly devaluing the rings made for the actual teams? I would think the licensing is restricted to the initial set.

I don't know how it works, and actually don't much care. But just logically, it seems like it would make no sense for the NFL or CFB or whomever to issue more than the original set of authentic rings. It'd be like Lamborghini making a specifically limited production model and selling it as such (which they do all the time), then making more later on. It would greatly devalue the cars investors paid for (which they never do or people would never trust them again).

Oh we win a National Title, I'm going to be the biggest d*ck ever to my friends who have rubbed it in for years now. I'm going to let them hear it every single chance I get, I've got decades of ribbing to give back. Now I'll probably be in a wheelchair or in a nursing home but I'll be sure to call whoever's still alive.
Call in a Nurse and Celebrate with a BANG.

• Haha
Reactions: koleszar
But is there actually any higher end stuff for championship rings? In other words, other than the set made specifically for the teams themselves, what other stuff could possibly be licensed without greatly devaluing the rings made for the actual teams? I would think the licensing is restricted to the initial set.

I don't know how it works, and actually don't much care. But just logically, it seems like it would make no sense for the NFL or CFB or whomever to issue more than the original set of authentic rings. It'd be like Lamborghini making a specifically limited production model and selling it as such (which they do all the time), then making more later on. It would greatly devalue the cars investors paid for (which they never do or people would never trust them again).

No. Ordinary people can’t just order an authentic ring.

ADVERTISEMENT