ADVERTISEMENT

With football players in quarantine, Vanderbilt considers using a women’s soccer player at kicker

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
A week after she helped the Vanderbilt women’s soccer team win the SEC tournament, Sarah Fuller is an “option” to kick for the football team Saturday, which could put her in position to become the first woman to play in a Power Five conference game.

Fuller, a senior goalkeeper from Wylie, Tex., was in uniform as the team practiced for its next-to-last game of the season. Vanderbilt is 0-7 and shorthanded with several special teams players in coronavirus quarantine ahead of the game at Missouri.

That would be amazing! Hopefully she gets to see the field, the Vandy offense is terrible. If she plays it needs to be made a big deal by ESPN and all, lots of girl kickers/punters across the Pop Warner level that this would inspire. Unfortunate circumstance that led to it, but still. Great to see

819e1649bbdc5fae2e89bb1ead792050.jpg

You have to think that the opposing defense/special teams will intentionally go after her (i.e. late hits, unsportsmanlikes, etc.). But, I do hope that the coaching staff does give her a shot.

Sure until they find a male place kicker to replace her and 6 months later she files a sexual discrimination suit for unfair treatment because she is female. Brilliant..

You have to think that the opposing defense/special teams will intentionally go after her (i.e. late hits, unsportsmanlikes, etc.). But, I do hope that the coaching staff does give her a shot.

Nobody would do that. If they did that, especially nowadays, that coach would be fired by Monday. Treat her like every other kicker. Our kicker is an 140 lb.soccer player. Nobody went after him or hit him late. Nobody is going to do anything to her just because she’s a woman. That’s prehistoric thinking.

Gee, I wonder what Franklin would be telling his players if he was still there.

Reactions: rurichdog
Doesn’t say much for Vanderbilt coaching when you can’t recruit at least 1 capable kicker . Is it ok for males to play women’s sports ?

Reactions: HeywoodGiant
Scenario -

You are on the field goal defense team when they block one of her kicks at the line and begin to return. You pull out to block and she is there in front of you. Fair game or not?

Scenario -

You are on the field goal defense team when they block one of her kicks at the line and begin to return. You pull out to block and she is there in front of you. Fair game or not?
A little shove should do the trick, like it does with most kickers.

Reactions: ILikePike
Scenario -

Yes. Block her like you would block any kicker in that situation. Treat her like any kicker.

Scenario -

You better believe she is and she would probably understand that.

If she is a scholarship soccer player, doesn’t the Vanderbilt football team need to burn a scholarship for her?

Does Vanderbilt not have a Mens Soccer Program?

The SEC does not sponsor men's soccer. Only Kentucky and South Carolina field varsity teams and they both play in Conference USA. In So Car's case their men's team has been around since their days in the ACC.

The Big12 conference also doesn't sponsor men's soccer so when West Virginia left the BE and joined in 2012, their men's soccer program found a new home as a member of the MAC.

Doesn’t say much for Vanderbilt coaching when you can’t recruit at least 1 capable kicker . Is it ok for males to play women’s sports ?
It isn’t ok for men to play women’s sports or women to play men’s sports when the school offers that sport for your same gender. But, as there is no women’s NCAA football, it is entirely allowed. As it should be. Take your small mindedness somewhere else

It isn’t ok for men to play women’s sports or women to play men’s sports when the school offers that sport for your same gender. But, as there is no women’s NCAA football, it is entirely allowed. As it should be. Take your small mindedness somewhere else
My small mind? You are a total sap. It is a question which is being tossed around by not me but many others. I understand completely you moronic tool how the system works on the college level. On the system of sports played around the world should males/ females be afforded an opportunity (in amateur sports) say in the Olympics to compete... men in women’s : women in men’s?

Nobody would do that. If they did that, especially nowadays, that coach would be fired by Monday. Treat her like every other kicker. Our kicker is an 140 lb.soccer player. Nobody went after him or hit him late. Nobody is going to do anything to her just because she’s a woman. That’s prehistoric thinking.

Yeah but the theoretical coach wouldn't be fired if he sent his players to rough up a male kicker. He would if he did it to this girl.

Nobody is roughing up a kicker on purpose on D1 football so this hypothetical is beyond stupid.

I didn't raise the hypothetical. Yet you saying no one is doing that is a useless statement of non fact.

WTF is wrong with you? Are you that insecure about your manhood that a female being a backup kicker bothers you. Go get laid or something you insecure clown.

Ah the manhood insult. So far you are leading the Virtue Signaling contest in this tread. You go girl!

Where did I say it bothered me?

What about field hockey?

Outside of the US it’s played by boys and men.

Reactions: RUScrew85
ADVERTISEMENT