ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA 2021 Season, and how Erica Wheeler, Betnijah Laney, Epiphanny Prince, Kahleah Copper, and Arella Guirantes are doing.

ScarletteK80

Heisman Winner
Mar 4, 2003
Now that the season is upon us, can we keep all things WNBA in one thread? Don't want to have 15 threads going at the same time. I'll post the schedule to start things off. Go to all the RU ladies playing!

Just a note that there is fair coverage on national broadcast TV. Probably doesn't work for you if you want to follow every game of a particular team, but if your interest is to keep a tab on the league and teams (and enjoy some games) I think at least May's slate looks good. It doesn't hurt that both my teams are getting decent coverage, as well.

Still can't figure out why our old friend Maryanne Stanley let Wheeler leave Indiana.

By my count, the RU players in the WNBA this year:

NEW YORK
Betnijah Laney

LOS ANGELES
Erica Wheeler
Arella Guirantes

CHICAGO
Kahleah Copper

SEATTLE
Epiphany Prince (starting season on temp suspended list because of overseas commitments)

PHOENIX
Kia Vaughn (starting season on temp suspended list because of overseas commitments)

RU/CVS still among the schools/coaches that get players to the W. I remember reading that Thibault said something along the lines of liking RU players because they know that they are supposed to play defence or that they are well prepared on defence or generally well-prepared (don't remember exactly).

Laney had a really good game, and the liberty are already half way to their win total from last season

Opportunity matters.
You said it!! I just love, love, love that young lady!! So grateful that she chose to play at RU and that we had the pleasure of watching such a classy individual for four years. And if you ever had the opportunity to meet her mom, you see where it comes from.

And although I can agree that she has improved( fine tuned her game) over the years, I feel like she was just more underrated. She was one of the most complete players to come through RU. She just happened to come at a time when that CVS offense was difficult to watch and did not give the green light to be aggressive offensively early in the shot clock. It wasn't until her senior year( Kahleah's Jr year, I believe) that CVS loosened up a bit and let them shoot. They both had nice strokes on the jumpshot. ......Also, we didn't come on TV alot (rightfully so) because we were coming out of the ugliest stretch of RUWBB in the years prior and maybe the 1st and 2nd year of Betnijah's career at RU.

It really just took that Atl coach, Nikki Collen to recognize the all-around game that Betnijah possessed and gave her a green light to shoot and participate in the offense. It's like, last year was the first time everybody got a chance to see all of Betnijah's game. Indiana just looked at her as a defensive player. She showed them tonight, didn't she.?!

Reactions: Colerr
Sparks drubbed by Dallas. Alisha Gray had a big game for them. C. Collier and C. Dungee show flashes.

Arella made brief appearances in both halves and played with great energy,...scored a few buckets. Sparks may have been mentally exhausted by training camp. They couldn't hit shots in the fourth. They look like they may struggle with the lack of size and no bonafide scorer in the starting lineup. ZawhiB didn't play.

Off the top of my head, Laney's junior year was the year the team won the WNIT while in the AAC and the frosh Scaife. Senior year they were in the B1G and the NCAAT and met Connecticut in the second round in a year UConn won the title; Davis was lost to an injury prior to that. Laney/Davis senior year had that crazy ¿2OT? game with UNC on a national broadcast, I think. They were shooting her junior and senior years, but there were definitely a few ugly games shooting-wise. Betnijah was not a good three-point shooter until her senior year, but she had accolades prior to that.

Last year in the WNBA, several players sat out. Laney took a slot left by a player who opted out. Angel McCoughtry had left the Dream. There was a gaping offensive hole to be filled, and Betnijah did so. Such a solid person but even though she scored 30 in this season's opener, the reporting and highlights will be all about Sabrina Ionescu. I do see, however, that given her MIP award last year and NJ connection, she will be one of the "face" players for the Liberty this season. I hope it gets her a multi-year contract.

In another game, Wheeler played poorly while Guirantes had a decent debut.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
If I recall, Laney tore her ACL in her first or second season of the WNBA. It does take a year or two to fully recover so that had an impact on her professional career. Happy for her as she was one of those players that gave 100% every game when I watched her a RU. Not flashy, but very determined.

The NY/NJ Liberty have had some good coaches over the years

WLWin %GWLWin %G
NameStartEndSeasonsRegular seasonPlayoffs
New York Liberty head coaches
Nancy Darsch1997199823523.6035811.5002
Richie Adubato19982004510078.5621781413.51927
Pat Coyle2004200958190.474171610.37516
Anne Donovan2009201022922.5695123.4005
John Whisenant2010201223434.5006814.2005
Bill Laimbeer2013201759278.54117035.3758
Katie Smith2018201921751.25068000
Walt Hopkins2020Present1220.0910000

Assistant coaches[edit]​

Off the top of my head, Laney's junior year was the year the team won the WNIT while in the AAC and the frosh Scaife. Senior year they were in the B1G and the NCAAT and met Connecticut in the second round in a year UConn won the title; Davis was lost to an injury prior to that. Laney/Davis senior year had that crazy ¿2OT? game with UNC on a national broadcast, I think. They were shooting her junior and senior years, but there were definitely a few ugly games shooting-wise. Betnijah was not a good three-point shooter until her senior year, but she had accolades prior to that.
Thanks for refreshing the timeline for me. I mixed it up. The ugliest stretch came after she and Copper left and Scaife sat out the season. Betnijah's four years consisted of decent teams that did struggle offensively. They showed flashes of offensive potency early and then reverted back to the struggling ways later in the season. I always wondered if the team practiced too hard and didn't have their legs under them for big games down the stretch. they would struggle shooting and teams would pack in a zone on us. The WNIT year should have clearly been an NCAA year. They had 20 or more wins that season.

It seemed like, back then, we were a bit unpredictable when it came to what team are we gonna see on a given telecast. I remember the times we were on National TV, usually against a top ranked team like UConn or Texas A&M, Tenn, ND, or Louisville. The results often weren't pretty because of our lack of an efficient offense. Then they stopped putting us on as much. By Laney's yr and sr seasons, the offense was better.

The only reason Betnijah wasn't good at shooting threes until senior season is because she wasn't taking them until then. She was always a good shooter. Same thing in the W. She didn't take many shots at all her first few years. She just started shooting a little bit with Indiana and regularly last year with Atlanta. Repetition, with her good shooting form, is all it took.

Regarding Liberty Coaches - yes, they have had some impressive coaches (sans Katie Smith, that was a total failure as a HC). Likewise Coyle was not successful, although that does not always mean "not a good coach".

But none were truly "highly" successful; those who have had careers for multiple teams rarely have had their best showing at the Liberty. I don't know if it is the players, franchise or what.

The NY/NJ Liberty pick up the win over Indiana 90-87. Betnijah Laney was high scorer with 30 points!!!! Marianne Stanley dumped her for nada. LMAO! Dear Marianne time to go already.
The Liberty only won 1 game all last season.

In other scores, Chicago wins over WASH 70-56. Kahleah Copper scores 19 points. Will be fascinating to see how she, and new team member the great Candace Parker turn out.

Liberty beat Indiana again 73-65, they were up by 19 at one point. High scorer again was Betnijah, with 20. So in her 1st 2 games with the Liberty she has scored 50 points, not bad.

If you look at Laney's college stats, you'll see that like her WNBA career, she got better and better every year. The big thing for her going into the WNBA was that in college she was mostly a 4, where she was a terrific rebounder for her size, and in the WNBA she needed to transition to being a wing. By her junior/senior year she was getting more comfortable shooting threes, but it wasn't a huge part of her game--she made 18 threes combined her final two seasons. She has made herself into a dynamic offensive threat from all three levels.

Reactions: Bon1674 and eso1989
Kahleah had a good game yesterday. I fully expect Betnijah to get a Player-of-the-Week nod.

Just a reminder, NY/NJ Liberty game on YES network at 7PM tonight. Will be a rough game on the road at Minnesota. If Fowles is healthy, Liberty has nobody to guard her. Can Betnijah have another great game?

This Liberty team is really fun to watch; they share the ball well and most everyone on the court can hit a 3-pointer. And Natasha Howard is about to join the team...

Our old nemesis Sue Bird of UCONN scored 21 pts tonight to help Seattle beat Minny 90-78. She just turned 40 a few months ago!
Bird also sat out for the 2019 season after having knee surgery.
Nice stat line for an old lady.

Well, the Liberty got whooped by Washington. Only good news, Betnijah got her 20 pts.
Ex Liberty star Tina Charles went off at her prior team.

Tough start to things for Arella and the Sparks. Their offense is not looking good at all. They don't run any plays for anybody. Just some two man game occasionally with Tolliver and N. Ogumwike. Arella's playing solid defense but is more tentative on offense than I've ever seen. I hope the draft situation hasn't affected her confidence. Something in my gut has me a little wary of D. Fisher. Didn't like him as an NBA coach and, I know it's early, but I'm not feeling good about this as a landing spot for our Arella. Hope I'm wrong about this.

Really think she would have been perfect with the Liberty in place of Didi Richards. I like Didi and she is solid defensively, but Arella at home, in NY, with the way that team finds shooters, and Ionescu and Laney put teammates in good scoring situations, that's was a no brainer to me.

Everything with the Sparks offense was pass it around and everybody try to go one on one. Few uncontested shot for them all night. Gonna take time for Arella to see how to create space against this higher level of athlete to be able to get her shot off.

And with Betnijah and the Liberty, they have had a busy start. They looked a bit tired in the second half. And I think Ionescu's gonna need time to get back to full strength. They really need Natasha Howard ASAP. Schedule is not doing them any favors either. So many games in so few days( relative to some of the other teams). Sparks will play their third game next Fri. 3 games in 3 weeks. Liberty is about to play 3 games in a 3 day time span.

Copper had an off game and struggled (partly because she had Laney guarding her!) but this was a solid game by the Liberty, who finally have their full roster together. They have a back to back tonight against Dallas, but then don't have another game until Saturday, and then a rest until the following Thursday. After the busy start to the season, will be much practice valued time to get Howard, Allen, Stokes and more into the flow of the team. Laney is, deservedly, playing with all the confidence in the world (though she needs to cut down on turnovers, as does the entire team).

Chicago needs to get healthy. With a healthy Parker and Quigley, and Dolson back from the 3x3 tournament, this team will be more than fine (and DEEP). Looking forward to seeing them at full strength.

The one and only game tonight. Let's see what the dynamic duo of Betnijah, and Sabrina can do. Wonder if CVS, and, or any other RU peeps may go.
Many moons ago I went to MSG to see Tammy Sutton Brown play in her 1st game back on the East Coast. CVS, and other RU folks were there as well. Anyone else go to that game?
Game on at 7PM on YES(cause the Yankees are off).

Last edited:
I really hope that some other people watched this game. Betnijah was high scorer for both teams, and did it with grace, and amazing fluidity. She was interviewed post-game and was gracious as can be. Nobody came close to her from either side. What a story she has turned out to be.

The one and only game tonight. Let's see what the dynamic duo of Betnijah, and Sabrina can do. Wonder if CVS, and, or any other RU peeps may go.
Many moons ago I went to MSG to see Tammy Sutton Brown play in her 1st game back on the East Coast. CVS, and other RU folks were there as well. Anyone else go to that game?
Game on at 7PM on YES(cause the Yankees are off).
Back in the day - the first 10 maybe 11 years of the league - we had Liberty season tix. There was usually at least 1 Vivian sighting a year, possibly a couple. Pat was also an occasional visitor and other college coaches.

"Betnijah Laney now has scored 20 or more points in six straight games, matching Cappie Pondexter who also had 6 straight games of 20 or more points in 2008. Joining elite company."
Some pretty good Betnijah just joined.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT