ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA 2021 Season, and how Erica Wheeler, Betnijah Laney, Epiphanny Prince, Kahleah Copper, and Arella Guirantes are doing.

Epiphany and Kia meanwhile continue to play the roles of seasoned veterans.

Piph had 7 pts, 2 rebounds, and 2 assists in 16min off the bench for Seattle last night.
Kia had 4 pts, 3 rebounds, and 2 assists in 17min off the bench for Phoenix.

"Betnijah Laney now has scored 20 or more points in six straight games, matching Cappie Pondexter who also had 6 straight games of 20 or more points in 2008. Joining elite company."
Some pretty good Betnijah just joined.
Very impressive company.

How nice would it be if the Liberty still had Tina Charles and/or Amanda Zahui B! They would be Championship contenders.

Last edited:
More good RU attention today with the Sparks- Sky game. Have to give Fisher credit for getting his team on track after a rough start. His players seem to be really buying in and gaining confidence with every game.

That said, I'm still a bit concerned about Arella. She doesn't seem to be a part of that confidence and team growth yet. She still seems to be playing with that hesitancy and lack of confidence in her shot. We know too well how it is not good when she plays with that added pressure that she sometimes puts on herself. .................She has got to just relax and play. Maybe it's learning a new system and teammates. I hope that bogus draft night is not affecting her confidence.

Kahleah's not having a bad game. She just has not been very aggressive offensively in the last few games that I've watched. Seems like they are trying to go more through De Shields and Vandersloot. IMO, that is why they lost a few of those close games in their losing streak. I'm yelling at the TV for Kahleah to take it on offense and she's been passing it up down the stretch of games.

Not like I'm one of their mother's or anything, but it makes me proud to see Kah, and Erica balling, and getting such good props on national TV. LOL @ crazee, I was yapping at the TV as well. On to the 4th. Can both teams win?

Reactions: RUcrazee
Chicago did well to get Dana Evans. Another player that was mysteriously overlooked in the draft. As soon as she adjusts to the speed and talent of the pro level, she will do well.

NY Liberty vs CT Sun is at 7PM tonight. Game on YES.

Painful watching Liberty game tonight. They are in trouble. Sun top two post players stats: 45pts, 21 reb, 5 assists vs liberty posts: 7pts, 2 reb, 1 assist With little to no production in the post, they are about to see Britney Griner, then Liz Cambage & Aja Wilson(twice), on the road. ....................I'm not sure I can even watch these next few games.

Betnijah's 20 point streak was also ended tonight.😔

I have been busy watching the Softball - and wouldn't get the locally broadcast Liberty games anyway - but from what I have seen Connecticut is having a really, really strong season.

I saw the Mercury game where Nurse hit the buzzer beater. Haven't been watching since, but will look to catch a few games going forward.

Just watched the replay of last night's Liberty game. Who would have thought that the halftime leading scorers: Whitcomb 9, Laney 8, Onyenwere 7, .......would go for 0 points combined in the second half. The length of the Conn. Sun really gave Laney problems today. They clogged the midrange shots and driving lanes that she likes and made her shoot from behind the arc over Dewanna Bonner's length for most of second half.
Onyenwere, who plays similar style to Laney, faced the same thing with Jonquel Jones' length to deal with.

Both of them seemed a bit worn out in the second half, maybe a result of expending so much energy trying to defend Jonquel Jones in the post. That is a losing proposition from the start. They are shouldering too much of the load right now.

Kiah Stokes and Kylee Shook need to be practicing their 3pt shooting right now and all week leading up to next Sunday's game. They will be the key to this team having a real chance to compete with the league's best teams. They both could stand to get a little stronger. Two rebounds combined should earn them several extra laps and push ups in practice. lol

What is actually going on with Ionescu. I never really watched her at Oregon so I don't really know her game. From all the hype dating back to Oregon days, I assumed she must be the real deal since she grabbed the attention of everyone, including Kobe Bryant.

Watching her this year, I see the exceptional court vision, all-around fundamentals, and high Bball IQ. I'm just wondering, is she moving the way that she normally does, or does she appear to be playing at less than 100% health-wise. She looks like she cannot create separation or get her own shot off the dribble. Looks guardable.

Is she struggling with confidence or is it slow recovery from the foot injury?

The difference with the team is her disappearing from being the floor general, causing Laney to take on that role, along with usually guarding opponent's best player(although Odom may relieve her of having to do that all game), and looking for her own shot. Laney is going to start to wear down.

If Sabrina's healthy, it doesn't make sense for her not to be running the point as this team has no other PGs.

One more comment. ........The offense is nice how they move it around to get open shots.
That's nice when everyone is shooting at a decent %, but they often do not take advantage of "the hot hand" because they don't run plays for specific players.

For example, Rebecca Allen or Sami Whitcomb will be red hot and only get 5 or 6 shots for the game. They need to mix in a few plays that can get a hot shooter open looks.

FWIW, Sun will be without Jones for a number of games, she is competing in Eurobasket, I forget for whom. Temporarily "suspended" as the Sun will look to get temporary help until she returns from her commitment.

While I didn't catch the Sun/NY game, a few things:

1. The Sun make a lot of teams look bad--they've beaten Vegas twice, and I think are easily a top two team in the league right now. Jonquel Jones is the early season MVP.
2. Ionescu I believe was only cleared to play about 2 months before the season began, and has now played about 10 full WNBA games. After the first few games, teams studied the tape and have learned how to adapt to her style. It will be on her to adjust now, at least from a scoring perspective.
3. The Liberty are not true contenders without Natasha Howard in the lineup.

Reactions: Bon1674
6/11, and 6/12 scores

6/13/21- 1st two games;
Mohegan Sun ArenaUncasville, CT
BOX SCORE WATCH
FINAL
Commissioner's cup

Gateway Center Arena @ College ParkAtlanta, GA
BOX SCORE WATCH

The Liberty looked like they took advantage of the time between games. They looked fresh-legged, especially in the first half with the shooting. Rashonda Gray really helps inside. It would really be nice if Kiah Stokes could focus on adding a consistent 3 pt shot to her game. If they can get Ionescu right from the foot injury,...... Look Out!

Liberty beat Phoenix 85-83, phew. Ionescu DNP. Betnijah star of game for the Liberty with 23 pts, 10 assists, and 7 boards!
Las Vegas beat Dallas 85-78. A'ja Wilson with 28/14.

Another good game for Betnijah, but the NY Liberty have collapsed.
Another good game for Kahleah, and the Sky are looking good.

BIG matchup with former RU player, NYL Liberty, Betnijah Laney vs LA Lakers, and Erica Wheeler/Arella Guirantes. 4:00 ESPN!

Reactions: MADHAT1
It did not appear that Arella was dressed for the game. Saw her on the sidelines but did not appear to be in uniform.
I thought she was in uniform for the 2 seconds you saw her during a time out. She didn't look well. I think that remaining on team might be an issue real soon. I'm not sure how many Sparks are on injured list.

ADVERTISEMENT