ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA 2022 season

ScarletteK80

Heisman Winner
Mar 4, 2003
WNBA starts today(5/6/22. I'll be routing for NY Liberty with Betnijah Laney, and Chicago Sky with Kahleah Copper. Go RU/WNBA

Last edited:
Reactions: RUPitt
Tonight's games 5/11/22, New York Liberty, vs Chicago Sky, or Betnijah Laney vs MVP Kahleah Copper. 8pm ESPN. Not sure if Betnijah will be back from injury. Game on ESPN.
Kia now with Erica Wheeler for the Atlanta Dream. Since LA dumped Arella, and Erica.

Scores for tonight.
Piph, and Kahleah are not back from overseas yet.
Nice to hear Stephan Bardo doing the color for one of the games. No games on 5/12.

Scores for tonight.
Piph, and Kahleah are not back from overseas yet.
Nice to hear Stephan Bardo doing the color for one of the games. No games on 5/12.
I don't know the details, but Piph played in the first 2 Seattle games, apparently.

Very interesting article about life overseas for WNBA players. In depth section on Kaleah.

Today's games.
By the way, saw elsewhere that Prince (and Brianna Stewart) are in "health and safety protocols" in Seattle - in plain language they were exposed to Covid. Hence why Prince didn't play in the last game (or, apparently, today).

Very interesting article about life overseas for WNBA players. In depth section on Kaleah.
What I don’t understand is where does the money come from that pays for these athletes salaries? I thought the U.S.A. is one of the richest countries in the world yet we can’t afford to pay these salaries.

What I don’t understand is where does the money come from that pays for these athletes salaries? I thought the U.S.A. is one of the richest countries in the world yet we can’t afford to pay these salaries.
Its a mix. In terms of Russia before the invasion, mostly oligarchs, who field teams in a variety of sports for the bragging rights. Turning a profit is not an issue. Others are sports organizations that again probably field teams in a variety of sports for bragging rights (soccer comes to mind, men's basketball - yes men's players head overseas as well, the difference is they are the ones that can't get into the NBA). While the teams have sponsorships - and those are worn all over the shirt - they do participate in leagues with championships and all the associated bling. And the associated bragging rights.

But - so far as I know, they don't make money. They don't draw large crowds. They just are not about that.

Arella G. was cut from the LA Sparks, although she does have a chance of resigning with them. Does anyone have an update on her?

MAN, she is pretty easy to keep up with on social media. She was playing in Europe but thankfully got home safe. She is very active on Facebook, IG, Twitter, Tic Tok. I'd love to see her land with Betnijah, and Liberty. Close to home(Rutgers, and Long Island). As I said elsewhere, screw L.A. They cut A., and Erica.

Reactions: RU MAN
Schedule for 5/17
Sun vs Liberty @ 7PM (ET) - League Pass • Dream vs Fever @ 7PM (ET) - League Pass • Mystics vs Wings @ 8PM (ET) - CBSSN • Mercury vs Aces @ 10PM (ET) - CBSSN • Lynx vs Sparks @ 10:30PM (ET) - League Pass

I'd love to see her land with Betnijah, and Liberty. Close to home(Rutgers, and Long Island). As I said elsewhere, screw L.A. They cut A., and Erica.
Yes, I agree. Looks like they need another scorer. Maybe Arella could get comfortable there and fill that role. The more she plays professionally( for the PR national team and overseas), the more she'll start to look, on the pro level, like the Arella we know.

BTW, I think Erica was traded and not cut. She has a nice size contract that LA probably didn't want to pay.

Reactions: RU MAN
Yes, I agree. Looks like they need another scorer. Maybe Arella could get comfortable there and fill that role. The more she plays professionally( for the PR national team and overseas), the more she'll start to look, on the pro level, like the Arella we know.

BTW, I think Erica was traded and not cut. She has a nice size contract that LA probably didn't want to pay.
Atlanta traded for Erica

Finally a game on TV. Seattle beats NY Liberty 79-71 in OT. Piph looks in physically great shape. I wish she would have played more minutes. Liberty are brutally bad this year, especially with Betnijah out injured, they really miss her.

Watched the Chicago Sky vs Las Vegas Aces. Vegas beat them 86-79. Kah, and Candace had off games for them.
Watching the coaching staff with Becky Hammon vs James Wade was a show in and of itself Becky(former player of the NY Liberty, and assistant coach of the NBA with Greg Popovich). Touching/upsetting half time piece with regards to Brittany Griner was intense.

Piph, Erica, and Kia saw action today. Erica with a great day.
Laney officially out for the next 8 weeks due to meniscus surgery. At least the Liberty won tonight.
But the prospects are dimmer without her.

Kah is not up to snuff either. Hope she starts balling at her out of this world pace.
Erica has been doing, well, her Wheeler balling.

Kah seems like she's still working her way back into the flow of the team; her shooting percentages are down, which is in part from not finding the right shots in the offense.

That being said, the Sky's scoring spread is ridiculously balanced. Eight players average between 12.8ppg and 8.7ppg.

The RU ladies were front, and center tonight. Kah vs Erica did not disappoint, and Kia old lady Vaughn in the game as well. Chicago prevailed. Hopefully Kahleah is back to WNBA game.
Other games played included in the link.

The inevitable has happened. Derek Fisher has been fired as HC and GM of the LA Sparks.

Kah starting to heat up. Last two games:

51 pts, 15-25 FG; 7-11 3pt FG; 14-18 FT; 14 rebounds; 5 assists

ADVERTISEMENT