ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA News, Essence.

ScarletteK80

Heisman Winner
Mar 4, 2003
UGH, UGH, and UGH. With the upcoming season about to begin here is some miserable news. E. was signed by the Phoenix Mercury. Now she joins Britney Griner, Diana Taurasi and her wife Penny Taylor who has become their GM. Sandy Brondello remains the Coach.
I have watched my last LA game(only watched them to see E.) Never liked the Sun either for obvious reasons.
Now we shall see if Kia, and Piph stay with New York Liberty.

UGH, UGH, and UGH. With the upcoming season about to begin here is some miserable news. E. was signed by the Phoenix Mercury. Now she joins Britney Griner, Diana Taurasi and her wife Penny Taylor who has become their GM. Sandy Brondello remains the Coach.
I have watched my last LA game(only watched them to see E.) Never liked the Sun either for obvious reasons.
UGH - wear to start - I don't often disagree with you, but -

1 - In the interest of fairness, along with the Lib to a degree, the Phoenix Mercury are our team. We don't typically follow closely and have only been to a few games over the years (Phoenix is a bit of a hike for a game). But do root for them, watch them on TV at times, and may try to do a game this season.

2 - Penny Taylor is an Assistant Coach, not the GM. She joins Julie Hargrove on Brondello's staff. Hargrove is a former U of A player (Julie Blase) and is Lute Olsen's granddaughter. She's been an assistant with the Mercury forever, Taylor played for them.

3 - DT is an exciting player. Who will be out at least until mid-season following back surgery. I don't carry grudges from college days. During the one season we had a partial package courtside, saw up close that she does take a beating and keep on ticking.

4 - Griner is a favorite - I even have a Griner jersey. Why she ever went to Baylor is beyond me.

5 - Being signed by anyone is not miserable news. There are not a lot of slots, and a lot of player's careers are cut short by the young blood coming up behind them.

I wish Carson the best at Phoenix, hope they keep her, they can use all the help they can get.

Reactions: dmd78 and Bon1674
Even when she was at UConn, I found Taurasi mesmerizing, even if it was a guilty pleasure. Once she became a pro, the pleasure was no longer guilty.

And considering that she graduated in 2008, E has had a fantastic career in the WNBA. 12 seasons is a long time.

Reactions: dmd78

Sparks have always been my top WBNA team, so I was very happy when Essence became one. Phoenix is a team I do not like, so I was very disappointed and maybe a little nauseated when she joined them. I think that wave of RU players from the glory years is just about done in the WNBA.

Another tidbit....since James Dolan(net worth 1.5 billion) sold the NY Liberty will they have to keep playing in the HS gym in Westchester? Would love it if they could play in Brooklyn at Barclay's Center, might have to catch up with some of my old friends. Lastly, they have a roster of 20, and Kia, and Piph aren't back from Turkey, and Russia yet. Rumor has it Kia might be on her way out, and there are always trade rumors around Piph.

Just realized that Kia, and Piph are UFA's so who knows where they may land, if at all.

Just realized that Kia, and Piph are UFA's so who knows where they may land, if at all.

Would not surprise me at all if Kia and Piph do not play during the summer and work on their second careers. They probably have a couple of years left in Europe to wind down their careers. Kia finished today with a Turkish league championship. I don´t know if Piph played in Russia or not.

ADVERTISEMENT