ADVERTISEMENT

Wolfson Deck to be demolished

As someone else on here stated previously, some sort of park there would be great in addition to whatever building they might put up. Downtown NB is seriously lacking in places to grab a bench and enjoy a nice day outside.

Agree with Dos.

There is a shortage of quality places to sit.

Meanwhile, Kilmer Park is basically a walled-off privatized public space. NB should have better.

Re: places to sit. I live in the DC area and stay at the Heldrich for football games. Last Friday evening there were plenty of folks sitting at the small park in front of the Heldrich. I think you can't underestimate the allure of places to sit in an urban environment.

NB does need improved public spaces . I would advocate the a park at Wolfson site would be popular but The three corporate owners of all the adjacent apartments should pony up and contribute to capital or maintenance they will be the big winners as the value of their property will increase

Originally posted by virginiaru:
Re: places to sit. I live in the DC area and stay at the Heldrich for football games. Last Friday evening there were plenty of folks sitting at the small park in front of the Heldrich. I think you can't underestimate the allure of places to sit in an urban environment.
Monument Square is pleasant enough - and certainly better than it used to be. A small park is definitely the right use of that site.

The Ferren Deck site - soon to be demolished - is a great opportunity to add a signature public space to NB, given the size of the site, central location, and proximity to the train station.

I think some cities are leery of "places to sit" because they become a base for people to sleep. Which is a small problem in NB. Not that they should not have parks as a result, but it's something to be considered.

Anyone have any details about this project? Design, completion date?
u5fnzcczrxck8yselmv0.jpg

Curious to see what's announced here. NB badly needs more office space and that would be a good spot. As the article notes though, that's a big parking loss.

http://newbrunswicktoday.com/article/wolfson-parking-deck-be-demolished-1

I'm sure it would be pricey, but it would be ideal to make the surface a multi-use park with underground parking beneath. A great example of this construction is historic Military Park in downtown Newark, NJ, which has a large underground parking garage unobtrusively beneath its surface.

http://militarypark.com/militaryparkmap/

I'm sure it would be pricey, but it would be ideal to make the surface a multi-use park with underground parking beneath. A great example of this construction is historic Military Park in downtown Newark, NJ, which has a large underground parking garage unobtrusively beneath its surface.

http://militarypark.com/militaryparkmap/
i think a better compromise would be to allow for a green corridor along Spring st, from Albany to Bayard sts. Lessen Spring st's width to create a meandering walkway, replete with benches, bushes and trees, street art, water feature. It would be a great way to lead people to the new cultural center and could possibly be extended thru to Livingston st, between the NBCC & the Mason Gross building
mbxgbmhcwwc0arrbs6ux.png

i think a better compromise would be to allow for a green corridor along Spring st, from Albany to Bayard sts. Lessen Spring st's width to create a meandering walkway, replete with benches, bushes and trees, street art, water feature. It would be a great way to lead people to the new cultural center and could possibly be extended thru to Livingston st, between the NBCC & the Mason Gross building
mbxgbmhcwwc0arrbs6ux.png

A worthy idea for sure, but how does NB replace the much needed parking that will be lost when the deck comes down?

giuoaw48imbdwiu0iach.jpg
A worthy idea for sure, but how does NB replace the much needed parking that will be lost when the deck comes down?
the deck has already been demolished. it was basically replaced when they built the deck that houses Superfresh. a deck above/below will of course, be incorporated into whatever structure is built at the former Ferren Mall/Deck site (pic above taken from the vantage point of the NYC bound platform of New Brunswick Train Station)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT